Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I never watched GT and decided to watch a random episode. In this episode Vegeta shaves his moustache (because his daughter told him it made him look like a geek) and gets really upset when no one else notices the change. Pretty funny, tbqh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raxivace posted:

Krillin vs. Imperfect Cell is an underrated fight IMO, as brief as it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=styJ91Ug1iE

Hahaha, why does he grab the plane, can't he fly on his own faster than that?

How far into the cell saga is that? Is it before or after Cell has absorbed a bunch of (normal) people? Because I think Cell after absorbing thousands of people is stronger than 17 and 18, and it would be surprising for Krillin to be able to put up a fight against an opponent like that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, Goten is one smooth operator in that GT episode.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I've been watching more of GT and it's really awful with letting no one other than Goku do anything of importance. Like, it's cool that Gohan and some of the others have become normal, well-adjusted people and I can understand Goku being stronger because he pretty much lives to fight, but Gohan post-Mystic should still be vastly more powerful than every other character in the series except for maybe Goku himself, yet he's portrayed as just some scrub like Goten or Trunks. Speaking of which, it seems like they just forgot that the whole Mystic Gohan thing happened in the first place, what with Gohan going regular Super Saiyan along with everyone else. Power level silliness aside, it's also just kind of boring from a narrative standpoint; like, yeah, Goku was the strongest for most of DBZ (sort of; I guess Gohan was actually the strongest non-fused character by the end of both the Cell and Buu sagas), but there were at least other enemies for other characters to fight.

All that being said, the fights themselves are kind of decent and not really much better or worse than the ones in DBZ. It's just boring to take a series with so many characters and have every single fight boil down to Goku vs. whoever.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This one episode he's fighting Super Android 17. So he's been shooting him with all these energy blasts and then realizes that Super 17 is apparently absorbing power from his blasts. So what does he do? Hits him with a big Kamehameha like a loving moron!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Namtab posted:

So, much like the real show

Not really; while Goku usually saves the day in the show, he doesn't do it so frequently that it becomes obnoxious. Goku/Piccolo vs Raditz (which was only made possible by Gohan) and Gohan vs. Cell come to mind. Also, even though Goku beat Buu with the spirit bomb, Goku was never really able to deal with him in a fight unless he merged with Vegeta (and Gohan was the only one able to handle post-fat Buu by himself/unfused).

Also, I take back what I said about it being good that Gohan decided to become a normal person post-DBZ. In the universe of DBZ, where some super strong Earth/universe-threatening bad-guy shows up once every few years, it's actually kind of irresponsible and morally wrong to not train all the time if you're one of the handful of people (literally 5) capable of repelling such a threat.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think that the relationship between Gohan and Piccolo in DBZ is really sweet and that Piccolo is a real stand-up guy and good character.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vegeta is literally a better dad than Goku, based on the fact we've seen him take Trunks out to the park at least once, while we have never seen Goku take Gohan to the park. We've also seen him be enraged by Trunks getting seriously injured/hurt, while Goku is just like "oh nooo Gohan" when something bad happens to him. Also, Goku has always weirded me out; he has dead eyes and is always cheerful, like some bizarre kung-fu clown. It worked when he was a child, but it's really off-putting when he's an adult.

That being said, Piccolo is the best dad (and person) in the series. What a stand-up guy. He's the only one that seems to genuinely care about his "son" and is never an rear end in a top hat/tsundere (like Vegeta) to him for no reason.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raxivace posted:

Piccolo was such a good dad when he threw Gohan at a mountain.

That was before Piccolo became a good dad. He gradually transformed into a good dad while training Gohan. Also, him throwing Gohan at the mountain in the assumption that he'd save himself with his hidden ability is basically exactly the same thing as Goku throwing Gohan at Cell in the assumption he would unlock his ability and not get killed by him.

Also, I didn't know Goku took Gohan fishing. Maybe that was just in the anime?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Covok posted:

Conversely, it's hilarious to think Goku could have beaten Guldo with a quick Kaioken during the battle of the Sayians.

Guldo's ability was actually extremely powerful and he was just really bad at using it (and hindered greatly by the fact that he was so out of shape, when his power literally requires holding his breath to function).

Amorphous Blob posted:

Dragon Ball is really bad about variations in skillsets, even for a battle manga.

Yeah, past roughly the Frieza fight there is literally no way to tell whether a guy is strong based upon what they're actually doing; people who are described as Stronger are just magically able to easily dodge and punch their opponents. At least until Frieza you had people creating larger explosions and some effects to depict the fact that the fighters were moving super fast.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 2, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darko posted:

First androids could power suck and couldn't be sensed. Their fights were about them sucking out people's energy.
17/18 weren't really antagonists.
Cell's gimmick was having everyone else's gimmick.
Darbura turned people into stone.
Buu was made of immediately healing putty, could turn people into candy, could throw pieces of himself all over the place and absorb people, had multiple different versions.

The villains post Freeza had more variety in Z than in Dragon Ball.

They had gimmicks, but ultimately were defeated by the protagonists just becoming way more powerful than them. Like, Cell can use Piccolo's regeneration so the solution was to just be so ridiculously powerful that you can totally vaporize him. Same with Buu's regeneration.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Goku was a dick for not teaching anyone else Instant Transmission. Someone even asks "hey that's a neat trick can you teach it to us Goku" and he goes "haha nope, don't wanna!" What an rear end in a top hat.

Zzulu posted:

Gohan finally going SSJ2 and wrecking cell, twice, is better than anything in Dragonball

I dunno, I like the part where Goku is fighting Krillin and Krillin blinds Goku by reflecting the sun off of his head.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 4, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Farecoal posted:

Just finished watching Broly Anime Hulk 1. I liked it. Especially Vegeta.

I looked up this movie on youtube and the soundtrack seemed to consist of this constant, awful, nu-metal. Like, it was seriously some of the worst music I've ever heard. Is that the actual soundtrack, or was the guy who recorded the video just listening to terrible music while doing so? It never even matched what was going on; it was like they just decided to play some tracks of this terrible music in the background and call it a day.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While the Faulconer soundtrack is alright, it's definitely way less interesting than the original Japanese soundtrack from a musical standpoint, and I'm pretty sure most of the people who prefer it do so due to nostalgia or something. And this is coming from someone who originally watched it with the Faulconer soundtrack and had never heard the Japanese one until recently. I mean, it definitely has some good tracks and it's better than the soundtrack to most American cartoon shows, but the Japanese soundtrack is used much better and actually makes me think "this is a pretty good soundtrack" instead of just not really noticing it at all as is the case with the Faulconer stuff.

Someone mentioned the Japanese soundtrack being better suited to DB but not DBZ due to enemies like Frieza and Cell. Not quite sure what they mean by this, since the enemies of both DB and DBZ are equally goofy and certainly not "hardcore." The whole series is like a tokusatsu show in terms of seriousness/tone.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I will never like the way SSJ4 looks (or SSJ3 for that matter, I really don't like the bizarre squished face thing). SSJ2 is probably the best looking and I also liked what they did with Ultimate Gohan going back to regular hair (though unfortunately we will probably never see that form again).

Regarding Gohan, I'm cool with him being surpassed by Goku/Vegeta; the guy doesn't want to train all the time, after all. The only thing that bugs me is when they flat out pretend that his previous power-ups didn't exist.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Elfgames posted:

tarble is really short fusion dance would be impossible. he should fuse with future trunks double the badass double the failure.

Future trunks is the only person to train for a year and come out worse off than he went in.

How did he come out worse off? I thought he came out with that enhanced super saiyan form or whatever.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing that bugged me some about the Cell Saga is how Goku was only slightly weaker than Cell after choosing not to train anymore after the initial less than a day in the time chamber. If he had decided to train more, even if he didn't reach SSJ2 he still probably could have made enough of a difference to defeat Cell (he had more than a year left in the time chamber). Actually, why didn't Vegeta/Trunks achieve the "full power super saiyan" thing prior to the Cell Games? They figured out what Goku/Gohan did after they came out of the chamber and then supposedly went back in themselves to train, so I'm surprised they didn't also train in the same way. It was also kind of strange that Gohan, who should have been at least as strong as Goku in his SSJ1 form, was getting owned by Cell (whereas Goku could fight evenly with him until getting worn out). Then again, DBZ has never really cared much about consistency.

Regarding Gohan getting owned, I like the scene where Piccolo is like "your son doesn't enjoy fighting like you and is scared right now" and then Goku has this look of utter terror at the huge mistake he has made. I like how they made it clear that what Goku did was really stupid and wrong, and how (at least) one of the Z fighters would have died before Gohan went SSJ2 if not for Satan throwing Android 16's head.

Darth TNT posted:

Really? I always liked SSJ4. It's probably the only good thing from GT. I just like the theme of getting closer to the inner ape. I think I prefer it to 3 at least. I like 2 in it's simplicity as well.

I understand the concept behind the appearance of SSJ4, I just think it looks really goofy for them to become all covered in fur and get a thick mane of hair. Dragonball has always seemed light-hearted first and foremost, but the SSJ4 form (and SSJ3 also for that matter) gives this "omg this guy is so fuckin hardcore (linkin park playing in the background)" vibe.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yorkshire Tea posted:

A couple of reasons. Basically the Hyperbolic Time chamber is like being tortured for a year, Goku and Gohan come out when Goku feels they're sufficiently strong and staying in might hurt them more than it helps by exhausting them. When Vegeta goes in the second time he gains almost nothing because his body is already completely exhausted from the first time. Revival of F sortof calls back to this when Whis says that the biggest thing that holds Vegeta back from being as strong as Goku is that he's unwilling to take rest when he needs it so he always gets less out of training. It's like if you tried to revise for an exam for an entire week without sleeping. You'd do great maybe the first and second day, but by the third the guy who's been getting his regular 8 hours is just going to absorb more when he does work.

Eh, but he could just go into the hyperbolic time chamber and chill out in the hot tub for 2 months before beginning training in earnest. It's not like he has to spend every waking hour training in there and it's clearly possible to do things like sleep, so it's not like you're experiencing nonstop suffering. I attribute Goku stopping the training to him just being really confident that Gohan will end up going SSJ2 and winning against Cell (which, while it ended up being true, was still really dumb when considering the fact that the fate of the Earth was at stake). It does make sense that Vegeta is always worse than Goku due to overtraining, though.

Regarding Gohan not fighting against Cell; even though he had psyched himself up, he's still a child and Cell is super scary and intimidating. So I don't blame him for not fighting at his full potential.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think we should all take a moment to reflect upon the fact that Krillin and Yamcha are both demigods who could effortlessly destroy the planet and conquer worlds.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nessus posted:

Also I think in the DBO book, Gohan authors a textbook with do it yourself instructions on how to learn ki powers, which had previously been rare esoteric things. This is why you have hundreds of people farting around with ki powers.

Yeah, and apparently Krillin and Tien start their own martial arts schools (the New Turtle School and New Crane School respectively, I think) and Trunks/Goten start some school based around using swords.

(I spent a while reading random articles on the DB wiki last night.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I don't know what I was expecting, but I lol'd when Krillin transformed into Tien.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Goku already had a heart condition, it's honestly quite sensible.

Vegeta probably could have lived to 100 but he wasn't about to let Kakarott beat him to dying.

No, he had contracted a virus, which was cured, so it shouldn't have any effect on his future health.

It's funny that they even had to gather together to defeat the Frieza soldiers. Presumably there would be no one left stronger than, like, Zarbon. Gohan/Goten/Trunks should have been able to easily solo all of them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yes. This is outright stated in the movie. Freeza points out that Gohan could beat all of his soldiers, alone, and far faster than they are. The entire point is that they don't want to, they're stalling for Goku, since everyone together are still nowhere near a match for Freeza.

No, I'm talking about the bizarre Dragonball Online timeline, where remnants of Frieza's army attack the Earth at some point and are fended off by an 80+ year old Krillin/Tien/etc. so it's (presumably) an entire army of the dudes that random Namekians and Krillin/Gohan chumped during the Namek Saga (plus maybe a few people of Zarbon/Ginyu strength).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

sharktamer posted:

Watch the side characters get no action in Super. It will be Goku vs. Freeze for 50 episodes all over again.

So one thing I read in the Wiki that I didn't notice in the movie is that apparently someone says Shisami (the guy who Piccolo is fighting and Gohan beats by going SSJ) was about as strong as peak Zarbon/Dodoria. So Piccolo was, at best, fighting evenly with Zarbon. SMH at Piccolo in that scene.

i think the correct answer to "who is stronger?" is always just "whoever Toriyama/the writer wants to win, "and since whoever is writing the recent movies + Super clearly wants Goku/Vegeta to win fights, they're usually the strongest.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm cool with Frieza becoming ridiculously powerful from training several months, since he's a member of some bizarre race with only like 3 members that we know little about.

I'm not okay with Piccolo losing against a Zarbon equivalent (that kind of goes beyond normal power level shenanigans) or Gohan forgetting that he should be at least as strong as SSJ3 Goku.

Aside from the fact that, as mentioned, all power levels past Frieza's 2nd form are from databooks or video games, I also don't think it was ever stated if they're a linear thing or if they work like decibels or something. Like, a power level of 50,000 doesn't necessary mean a guy is only twice as strong as a guy with a 25,000 power level. This would be supported by the fact that people having power levels of only several thousand more than each other in the Namek Saga results in them effortlessly curb-stomping the weaker guy.

Speaking of Gohan, is there any reason they didn't just repeat the Super Saiyan God ritual for every single saiyan? I mean, they were able to do it with Vegeta apparently, so why not also hook Gohan up with that sweet god ki.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

Because Gohan's a chump and in one million years of trying could never be as cool or good as Vegeta much less top-tier Saiyan Warrior Future Trunks?

I read this post and my nose started bleeding from the anger I feel towards it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kild posted:

That Fat Buu is also basically just the Kais he absorbed. The Kais increased Buus power but left him in the gentle fat form so the original Majin Buu should be stronger than Kid Buu.

I think it was implied that even if Fat Buu technically has more power, Kid Buu is more dangerous due to the way he fights (wild/unpredictable attacks, you can't stall him for time, etc).

Namtab posted:

You're misremembering. What goku said was that he could have beaten fat buu but he wanted the kids to do it instead.

Hahaha, what? Does he mean this in a hypothetical "if I had more time as SSJ3" or just "if I wanted to"? Because if it's the latter that has to be one of the dumbest things Goku has done and directly resulted in Buu killing almost all his loved ones + the human race in the interim.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

Actually, if the Z fighters were building out a team on power and assuming you can't rely on dance fusions long term, it'd have to be Goku, Vegeta, Gohan after a stern lecture about trying hard, Mr. Buu, and then Pikkon if they could get him or Piccolo/18 right?

Do we even have a good idea how strong Mr. Buu is? We only saw him get quickly owned by Evil Buu, and we can assume that he's weaker than the original Majin Buu (which had both the good and evil parts). Then again, we can also assume that he's probably at least as strong as an SSJ2, which is way stronger than all other non-saiyan characters.

Otherwise you're probably correct if they were aiming to pick the strongest dudes. If they did choose an actual human, I imagine Tien is probably stronger than Krillin now, since I think he chose to permanently live as a training hermit (whereas Krillin decided to get a job).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Squallege posted:

Guys your missing the genius idea of Champa's guy. Hear me out it's Goku. But he's EVIL! He goes super Saiyan but instead of gold or blue it's red! Because he's evil! Instead of an orange gi with blue other stuff it's grey and red. Because he's evil! Red is so cool just like Shadow the hedgehog

He goes Super Saiyan because Frieza killed Krillin before he had the chance to do so himself.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know, Satan must actually be pretty strong, even if he's not a demigod like the other characters. He did somehow manage to become the champion, and there's one scene where he's pulling several buses or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been watching the Buu Saga, and there's this one filler when Bulma/Rushi/Yamcha are chasing some dragon that ate a dragon ball. Yamcha blasts the dragon, making it fall into the ocean, and then refuses to go after it because he is afraid to jump from such a large height.

The dude can fly, wtf.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Farecoal posted:

Broly: Second Cumming review: Boring as poo poo. Easily the worst movie. Krillin was the only good part

When exactly was this supposed to have occurred, time-wise? I remember Gohan being a teen but not having access to his "Ultimate" form (not that most DBZ things remember that exists to begin with). I remember thinking "gently caress yeah, gonna be cool seeing Brolly surprised at how much stronger Gohan is now" but then he just owned Gohan anyways.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raxivace posted:

Isn't there actually some wacko conspiracy theory about Goku having an affair with Bulma or something in DBZ?

I vaguely remember hearing rumors about that, but not much more.

Well, there is that scene where Bulma is like "Goku is one fine man, second only to Vegeta."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

When I was a kid I don't remember ever making up anything DBZ(or anime in general) related or combining characters from series. Even though I always had nerdy hobbies, I never really understood the whole fanfiction, etc aspect of the subculture. I did make a really bad DBZ website when I was 15 where I put up a bunch of random images I had found on the web (this was around ~2000 or so).

Condiv posted:

if anyone joins up with jaco it's gonna be krillen cause he's already a cop

also it'd be p cool if krillen became a hard-boiled space detective

Yeah, Krillin should combine his "being a strong guy" and "not being a loving moron with no skills other than fighting like Goku/Vegeta/etc" in some useful way.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is what makes it great, Vegeta getting owned is always great.

Vegeta getting owned (if by owned you mean "really bad things happening to him") was only good when he was evil; once he crossed the line to "totally a good guy" (when he sacrifices himself against Buu), it kind of loses its appeal since Vegeta generally means well past that point and would never do anything really bad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I can't help but feel like there would be a ton of high paying jobs for demigods with the ability to lift almost any weight and move blindingly fast. At the very least, they could run some super-premium delivery service.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darko posted:

Alternate timelines are splinters. And people like Jaco are supposed to stop that from happening.

So did Trunks cause the splinter then? Maybe all the characters and events of the main timeline prior to Trunks arrival never actually existed until Trunks used his time machine :tinfoil:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Baal posted:

He's fat!

There's that one scene in Dragonball where one of Piccolo's "sons" goes to attack Goku and Yajirobi just one-shots him and then eats him. It was baller as hell and cemented him as a cool guy in my mind.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tokelau All Star posted:

Yajirobe slicing that demon in half and eating him was a Top 5 moment in the whole series.

Yeah, it's easy to forget that Yajirobe is actually a total badass. He's weaker than all the Z fighters, but still probably one of the 5 strongest humans alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vegeta's change clearly occurred after he decided to sacrifie himself against Buu. After that, including the very last parts of DBZ, he is never once an rear end in a top hat in a "bad person" way and actively works together with Goku and tries to save the Earth/people. After that point, he has (this might have changed after he also got the SSGSSJ stuff in Resurrection of F) completely accepted that Goku is just stronger than him and he no longer has the extremely stubborn pride that characterized him for all of the series prior. I feel like it's not inconsistent that he's a different person now than he was before the whole Majin debacle.

• Locked thread