Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Good thinking editing out that image link to the manga reading site, it probably wouldn't have circumvented the probation

Might as well throw in another vote for Shut Hell.

I'm glad someone picked the translations up again, they stopped for a couple of years somewhere. I love the (kinda) main character's descent into madness, and i love the way the author draws these crazy distorted eyes. I herd people say they're ugly, but i find them fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

I've found a lot of really good mangas from lurking these threads just fyi.

Same. Also a lot of bad ones that MrCinos tricked me into reading.

Since it came up: In theory, the new "single scene" instead of "single page" thing is a good thing for all the reasons outlined in the OP. I mself know how infuriating it can be to see an awesome, defining moment that's perfect for this thread, but it's not something that's communicated on a single page, but spread over 2 or three.

In practice tho, now that it's been in action for a while, i still eagerly click on and check out the single pages + name for interesting stuff, mostl the 2 pagers as well, but when i see 3 or 4 timg'd pages in a row, sometimes multiple times in a post, with nothing to catch my eye straight form the thumbnail (like page-spreads), i just scroll past.
Like, don't make me click, scroll, click, scroll, click, scroll for some kind of mediocre action scene or character building that makes no sense without the context. Which can happen a lot, because people suck at this thread. It happened a lot in the previous thread, too, but it's not much of a sunk cost on a single page, where it's usually easy to see what the poster was going for, whereas you might need to scan over multiple pages with tiny panels and dialogue and all that.

(Yea i know i posted a 3 pager before, it took a while of browsing this thread to come to the realization)

That's my honest view, i know they're rare nowadays on these forums, take it as you want. I'm still enjoying the thread regardless

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I read the National Quiz quite a while ago and remember basically nothing about it, except that it was a pretty amazing read.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What's the name of the jazz manga

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Nickelodeon is some good poo poo. Lunch at Columbine (ch14) and Contract (ch20) are among my favorite short stories.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Bitter Change is v. good, and the only worthwhile body swap manga i've ever found. I only have two small problems with it.

1. The translators don't scanlate the magazine scans, only the finished volumes, so you have to wait an agonizing half a year between chapter batches
2. I wish the mangaka was better / more efficient at paneling so they could fit more story into each chapter, i need mooooore

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sakamoto's anime has also just started, and it's p. high level, check it out.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Renai Kaidan Sayoko-san

It's a slow burn sometimes but man, when it's good, it's good.

I also enjoy how it's the girl for once who's the doofy awkward shut-in dork between the two.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Pretty sure spiders don't eat like that.

She hasn't been a spider for very long and actually knows jack poo poo about spiders, so she eats the only way she knows - like a human. Give her a break. poo poo's hard in a new body.

edit: i'm not even kidding, she's so bad at being a spider that it takes her a while to figure out how webs work

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ye, that manga works out the same way when you substitute the cats for dogs, except with more vicious mangling via human chew toy

I should finish Sprite some day...

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Tbh my cat (if it could recognize me which is unlikely) would probably still kill me by crushing me via loving head butts or drown me in slobber, just imagine that sprinkler scene from Honey, I Shrunk The Kids and you get the idea

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What do you do, when an accident unexpectedly and abruptly ends your life, and your soul still lingers? When there's not even someone to blame, and you were suddenly taken, completely randomly?

When you see your friends' lives go on, somehow, and you don't know how to cope with it - and neither do they.

When you can only watch, as they try to comfort and support each other, to try to move on... and you stay alone.

When you're stuck in time, but the people you love go on living and find others.

And when you realize that the ones that don't, might be worse off for it.

How do you deal with these feelings, the anger, the disappointment?

More of a mini presentation since one or two pictures can't really capture what's going on in it, but if you haven't, you should read Majime na Jikan. It's good, it's short (9 chapters), and it's complete.
(It's actually way more light-hearted than i make it look here, but still pretty somber due to, well, the nature of the theme)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I love you, so I kill you.

Couldn't help but show this amazing stand-alone 3 page setup, it cracks me up every time.
The manga has kind of a strong premise, but it seems like the author doesn't quite know where to take it, so he's currently throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks. So far, it's a fun trashy slaughterfest with high schoolers, we'll see where it goes from here.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

I've always up for trashy death games manga (or the genre it is a subset of, "teenagers killing each other for various reasons").

Yeah, if i hadn't seen a discussion a while back somewhere here where someone was asking for more of those, i probably wouldn't have bothered, but i kinda love the trashy death game genre, even if they often have a lot of bad baggage attached.

It's also only the second time i've seen someone pull the "couldn't actually protect childhood friend" punchline, and i can't even remember where i've seen it the first time.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yea maybe he forgot a zero or two, because it's quite literally raining body parts in the latest chapter (spoilers)

But he's not exactly wrong in saying that the posted 3 pages are kinda misleading.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
tfw

(realtalk tho the rest is not very good)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I dunno. I really like the way it uses color, and it has a few instances of some amazing paneling or visual gags, but for like 60 out of 80 pages you get the same one single joke. Might still be the best daily updated 4koma for all i know though, since i have no clue about the competition~

Also jfc, there really is a "Cute Girls Doing [x]" for every single possible x, isn't there? I mean, i knew that on an intellectual level, but

i still somehow didn't expect German board games to be x.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Glagha posted:

Yeah I just blitzed through that and like it. Also I just realized in that image, King of Tokyo is clearly visible on the shelf. :allears:
There's a fuckton to recognize in any shot of the game shop shelves. I'm p. sure some of these are just straight up traced pictures of a shop the author visited. I haven't recognized too many things yet, but i'm not a board game geek (i have a friend who is, though). I can tell you though that any time you see someone holding a game's box, that's just straight up copied from the real thing. :shobon: The cat & mouse game even has the German award symbol that marks it as a Children's Game Of The Year 2003 on the side.

(funnily enough, i got the above picture from a japanese blog, but i also just now noticed that "Japan Boardgame Prize" sigil on the box)

Although i understand why they mostly show off children's games - they're easy to pick up and usually quick to complete, and also usually cutesy - i hope they find a way to properly show off an engaging round of a more involved game in the future.
OTOH, even though the chances are astronomically low, i really hope they get to play Love Letter, too, it's my favorite very simple card games with unusual depth and probably my favorite game that aforementioned friend has introduced me too. Really took me by surprise.

... And now that i look it up on the internet, said game was made by Japanese indie boad game designer Seiji Kanai. Of course. :allears:

Eeevil posted:

Kin no Tamago
Link when you post, please!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Colors still own. The translators are doing one hell of a job, too.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Grraaaand Bluuuueee

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
At least one of those is a Daimyo Hermitaur, not a mimic.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

The Isaac Newton page in the last chapter was a thing of real beauty

Yeah, it was really good. Tbh i'm tempted to go post a couple pages in this thread every time a new Grand Blue chapter comes out, but that would get annoying real quick, so i desperately fight the urge

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Man, people are tripping over themselves to yell ZOOTOPIA RIP-OFF, as if predator X weak prey wasn't the most cliché'd animal kingdom romance a thousand years ago already. I was extremely pessimistic going in (because furries), but it's decent so far, and has a well-written douchebag character which is a hard thing to nail.
If the giant spotlights in the background of the pictures above didn't tick you off, a lot of it is about theater, so if that bores you to tears, maybe don't bother :v: I am a tentative fan of the Misadventures of Wimpy Wolf.

More goodness:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hmmmmmmm ok,

that's just the right amount of dumb that i'm on board with it. I'm convinced for now.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not much good Dowman coming out since Voynich ended, sadly. There's that okay sex gag series about the last human in the universe, whose reproductive impulses go into overdrive since he's the last of his kind, but it's pretty short and comes out slowly.

edit: It also has Spongebob and Jesus jokes, not just sex jokes, so at least go check it out

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 14, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Shoulda posted the page after that one.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
dad manga

Long since finished, but it's a pretty good stand alone page from Santa Satan Beelzebub.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Explosions posted:

I refuse to believe that anyone is sad enough to talk like that out loud, in real life.

You haven't been around teenagers in a while, huh

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You can only even consider watching a Ghibli movie to have something to converse about if they're even on your radar at all.
It comes across as "way worse" (it's not) because of the compounding issues in her situation - having a whole gaggle of people staring her down all exasperated, the fact that they're her subordinates (or juniors or whatever), people's drunken fervor at that moment and the fact that she only never watched one because it just never happened - they all build up to some immense discomfort and instinctual push-back against the idea.

You don't need to dislike anime movies or family-friendly movies or Miyazaki's art to never watch a Ghibli movie.
You just need to not actively like anime or family-friendly movies or the art style. No interest, no impetus to seek it out (or even to stay away from it), and if you don't accidentally stumble into it via friends already watching or it coming up when you're zapping the TV (lol TV), chances are good that you'll actually never see a Ghibli movie even if you like movies in general.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sarcophallus posted:

Kimetsu no Yaiba
yeah this, but it also needs the rest of this little scene:

I love Dark Souls Man.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dungeon Meshi and Hinamatsuri are both very good, but not universal recommendations. I feel like the only thing you might be able to universally recommend is something like short story collections, since there's something for everyone in them (and it doesn't go on too long if you don't care), and i sy that as someone who doesn't usually read short stories.

I'd probably recommend Terrarium in Drawer (by the Dungeon Meshi author) and Nickelodeon. They're both really good. If you haven't read them, do that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Voynich Hotel is also very good, but has way more caveats than Nickelodeon, where the weird parts are at least mostly contained in quick single stories.

DM's writing is superb, but good writing has never meant that anyone could enjoy it. I'd wager some art films would be way more popular if only the writing matters, but many people can't or don't want to look past whatever "artsyness" they employ that makes them not-mainstream.

A few things in DM that can be automatic turn-off for some people, especially if they don't regularly read manga/comics:
- Cooking
- Dungeons
- Dragons and fantasy theme in general (just bores some people)
- "Dude has to rescue [sister/loveinterest/otherwoman] from evil X" theme
- Magic and/or its detailed workings or applications can be a no-go
- That ridiculous Asian harem

None of these are a problem for me, most of these are actually what makes it so great, but there's lots of different kinds out there.

• Locked thread