Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Some faves of mine, hopefully not all super obviously known. Huge Jiro Matsumoto fan if you haven't noticed, he can get a bit (well, more than a bit...) obscene at times which usually isn't my thing but drat if a lot of his series aren't uniquely beautiful.

Freesia

Destroy and Revolution :jihad::nyoron:

Solanin

Kokou no Hito

Ito Junji's Cat Diary

Uncivilized Planet

Wanitokagegisu

Boku to Issho

Jigoku no Alice

Tropical Citron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Sakamoto desu ga?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Historie

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Prison School

and the obligatory

Helck is fantastic

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Ainu Anus Patrol: Real Dogs of Japan

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

InShaneee posted:

In case someone hasn't read Liar Game: go read Liar Game

Yeahhhh, although to be honest it kind of lost me in the last few games and the ending was kind of a :wtf:
I'd still say it's worth the ride for the games that were fun/memorable, and there were a few.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

This was really goo, finished it in one sitting.
Yeah, I'm in the process of doing this too. What a ride.
Brigadier General! :drat:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
ULTRA HEAVEN

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm not criticizing it or anything, but doesn't it feel like there's like...a Dad genre of manga? I feel like I keep seeing many series where it's like "DAD AND HIS CUTE DAUGHTER DO THINGS. MOM IS DEAD/GONE/WHATEVER." What's up with that? Like, the Yotsuba effect.
doesn't feel like it's ever sons either. :( no love for father-son antics I guess.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Sakamoto desu Ga is a 100% pro read

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
lmao

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Inu Yashiki

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

dogsicle posted:

it really should've ended by now. this dragged out ending has already impacted my enjoyment of the series as a whole.
I did prefer the series when it was lizard men loving things up and dark humorous slice of life type stuff set in the magic world, the main plot is kind of incomprehensible and whatever

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
so I take it Ancient Magus Bride is worth looking past the whole creepy slave bride of a goat being...aspect...?
not trying to judge, just asking

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That's all reassuring to hear, thanks y'all, I'll avoid the spoilers above for now and dive in. The creepy rear end fairies alone sold me
And yeah good point re: Onani Master Kurosawa

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Mahou Tsukai no Yome

:420:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Deathco

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I know it's part of the genre but I don't really like the manga using rpg mechanics as a crutch for...everything
Like It feels usually there's more of a balance with these scenarios

also gently caress spiders

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
just read shin angyo onshi and leave it at that immho

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Korean and Chinese comics are objectively bad except for like two or three things

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wait why? Lack of scanlators? Canceled? Did the guy die? I vaguely knew that Deathco was from the Soil guy but I never got too far in Soil especially once i noticed it wasn't updating anymore

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

nerdz posted:

Wonderland, a survival manga about what would happen if all the humans in a city were suddenly and mysteriously shrunk to the size of rats.

okay, I'm in. I'm in.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Kimetsu no Yaiba

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jin

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
these niggas high af
captain's promoting bad influence manga, my recommendations are in-line with the D.A.R.E. program.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Honzuki no Gekokujou is another of those "reincarnated in another world" stories, except it's one of the few good ones that isn't about the main character being a god-king who never fails at anything.

A bookworm librarian dies under a pile of books, and wakes up as a sickly, poor, kindergarten-aged little girl. The world is pre-printing press, so she is completely without the books she loves, and being able to read and write is a luxury only for nobles and higher-ranked commoners. She still has her memories of her first life, so she has ideas on how to improve or use things, but she is a tiny, frail child, so she has to completely rely on her new family and friends to get even small things done.

I'd get into this but I feel like Dr. Stone has me Dr. Stoned enough, it's about as much of this sort of thing I can tolerate

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Herbotron posted:

Overlord loving sucks, is what I'm getting at
are you implying Captain Invictus has a higher tolerance than normal for weird gross anime bullshit?!?!! IMPOSSIBLEEEH

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Davincie posted:

you can't do this if you post jiro matsumoto
he's my one exception and a pretty good one imho especially compared to what most people here tolerate consistently/constantly
but yah fair enough

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Explosions posted:

cringe-inducing God of Pride
can you elaborate on this? I dropped the series a few issues in cuz I hate spiders and thought the whole gimmick was lame af anyway.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Pierson posted:

Magi should have stayed the fantastical adventures of Aladdin, Ali Baba and Morgan going through dungeons and poo poo and having fun, instead of whatever it turned into when I eventually gave up.
Yah i miss when it was more adventure and less incomprehensible, but I'm rolling with it and all the cosmic malarkey going on is still vaguely entertaining. I just never found the djinn equips or battles super cosmetically appealing. For me the peak of the series was the world building, just having them move from different country to country, learning the various forms of government and so forth. Dumbledore Hitler was still a dope arc.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Nobunaga Concerto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Birdmen

• Locked thread