Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What is the actual redeeming part of Overlord, all it seemed to me was a boring invincible protagonist who was surrounded by people who just loved how great he was.

Invincible heroes and villains are basically always boring. The only exceptions I can think of offhand are Dr. Manhattan (who wasn't really a hero or villain by the point of Watchmen anyways), and Saitama because One-Punch Man.

In fact, I don't even think Saitama or Dr. Manhattan is a straight comparison to the skeleton dude from Overlord because they get some actual flaws (sort-of). Dr. Manhattan is completely apathetic and has lost touch with humanity, while Saitama gets zero respect from basically anyone other than Genos and King.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Cuntellectual posted:

What is the actual redeeming part of Overlord, all it seemed to me was a boring invincible protagonist who was surrounded by people who just loved how great he was.

Invincible heroes and villains are basically always boring. The only exceptions I can think of offhand are Dr. Manhattan (who wasn't really a hero or villain by the point of Watchmen anyways), and Saitama because One-Punch Man plays it for comedy and he still gets basically zero respect anyways.

Ive never read either the LN or the manga but the anime is sorta fun. The hero makes an effort to spend his time undercover and not really have to show off his power, so being overpowered isnt really a huge deal since he isnt blasting people into nothingness every five seconds. The real problem with an overpowered MC is that they can run roughshod over all of thier obstacles but the obstacle in Overlord is more Ainz' own curiosity about where hes been transported to and he cant really just blast a hole in the world with a level 9 omnicast to solve that mystery. And since its an ongoing LN anime, it of course ends without any sort of answers, but its worth it for this part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dxICJHd518

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
I read the Overlord manga, never made it very far past the assassin arc.

My problem with it was that it tries to do the whole "villain protagonist" thing without any of the features like humor, charisma, or interesting flavors of twistedness necessary to make you want to read about someone being a prick. It leads with him exploring the area and being an rear end in a top hat to people worse than him, which was fun, but that veneer drops off pretty quickly and then it's him just being an rear end in a top hat, period. Overlord fans are quick to say "you don't understand, he's meant to be the bad guy, that's the point". But see, I'll watch stuff like Tanya the Evil- just to pull out a fairly recent example- because it's fun and funny to watch her struggle out of her latest lovely situation, and there's even a hint of character development going on. Overlord leaves all that business by the wayside in favor of this trash dweeb running around inflicting edgy-as-gently caress cruelties with his cheat stats while his histrionic fan club fawns all over him, and I could not give less of a poo poo.

Also it's got the most stilted, awkward excuse for a sense of humor and a cringe-inducing idea of what's cool. I mean what the gently caress kind of name is "Ainz Ooal Gown" anyway, it sounds like someone tried for "vaguely arabian" but ended up at "alinguistic vocalizations of someone with tragic neurological problems" instead

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I vaguely remember someone talking about the Order of the Stick in the Overlord thread - or maybe it was some other Z-list anime, whatever. Anyways, that's a comic that's got an evil lich overlord that's much better done, although the exact circumstance is difference (Order of the Stick's Xykon was a random mage who became powerful just by following his whims and killing things that got in his way, Overlord guy who's name I can't be bothered to remember's background has been discussed).

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 14, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the reason i liked the overlord anime was because the early episodes had a lot of bits where Ains' humanity was in opposition to what his murderous npc children wanted to do, so he had to find ways to hide that or reason out his actions in a way they would accept. unfortunately it was not a family sitcom about trying to keep your demon children in line, so i dropped it 2/3 in.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

dogsicle posted:

the reason i liked the overlord anime was because the early episodes had a lot of bits where Ains' humanity was in opposition to what his murderous npc children wanted to do, so he had to find ways to hide that or reason out his actions in a way they would accept. unfortunately it was not a family sitcom about trying to keep your demon children in line, so i dropped it 2/3 in.

Fortunately there is a manga that actually is about a hero dad trying to keep his demon children in line.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

chumbler posted:

Fortunately there is a manga that actually is about a hero dad trying to keep his demon children in line.

This sounds excellent. What's the name of it?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Beelzebub

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, that's about all I watched, now that I think about it. Never cared enough to go searching for the manga afterwards, oddly enough. And I'm the kinda loser who totally digs that fantasy world/VR RPG poo poo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tibbeh posted:

This sounds excellent. What's the name of it?

Sorry about the delay, but it is Maou Kyoudai. Seven Seas recently licensed it, but that release is still a ways out I think.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chumbler posted:

Sorry about the delay, but it is Maou Kyoudai. Seven Seas recently licensed it, but that release is still a ways out I think.

lmao, i love how scans coincide with the license announcement

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

I vaguely remember someone talking about the Order of the Stick in the Overlord thread - or maybe it was some other Z-list anime, whatever. Anyways, that's a comic that's got an evil lich overlord that's much better done, although the exact circumstance is difference (Order of the Stick's Xykon was a random mage who became powerful just by following his whims and killing things that got in his way, Overlord guy who's name I can't be bothered to remember's background has been discussed).

The thing that OOTS resembles most is probably Hunter x Hunter, given their shared complex plotting and frequent delays. It's dope though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cuntellectual posted:

Invincible heroes and villains are basically always boring. The only exceptions I can think of offhand are Dr. Manhattan (who wasn't really a hero or villain by the point of Watchmen anyways), and Saitama because One-Punch Man.

In fact, I don't even think Saitama or Dr. Manhattan is a straight comparison to the skeleton dude from Overlord because they get some actual flaws (sort-of). Dr. Manhattan is completely apathetic and has lost touch with humanity, while Saitama gets zero respect from basically anyone other than Genos and King.
The concept of the Overlord guy instead of waking up as a Hero In An MMO Fantasy World BUT REAL and instead being the bad guy in charge of everything and having to suddenly manage an entire kingdom including boss NPCs created by other players beforehand(and thus not automatically loyal to him) was what drew me to it, and hearing tidbits about the lizardmen arc which was really neat. It seemed like the rise of an MMO villain in the...well, like Kel'Thuzad from warcraft or similar way, rather than generic overpowered hero. Him trying to walk the line of not succumbing to his seemingly fleeting humanity and restraining his minions from just massacring and enslaving the populace of the new world was a good idea(or tricking them into helping people instead), he makes mention of his humanity and compassion slowly evaporating a few times so it seemed like that would eventually become an issue where he'd go full evil as he became totally ruthless.

From what I've heard of the later stuff though, it seems it goes through multiple arcs of heroes rising up only to be grotesquely butchered by him/his followers with pretty much nothing interesting happening, which is just total wasted potential.

dogsicle posted:

yeah this

There's another "Evil Guys Doing Good Things" about the rulers of hell finding a baby in a basket one day and raising him. I've read a few chapters and it's extremely good and cute and goofy. It's called Sodatechimaou, or "The Devil is not so evil as he is painted"

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The Dragon's School is on The Top of The Mountain

by the same author as Dungeon Meshi

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Davincie posted:

you can't do this if you post jiro matsumoto
he's my one exception and a pretty good one imho especially compared to what most people here tolerate consistently/constantly
but yah fair enough

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Like all her comics, it's really, really good.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Plutonis posted:

Enough! The only good Isekais are Overlord and Spider.

Kumo desu ga gets really loving bad later on, I'm sorry to say

cuntman.net posted:

tianxia diji

I read this and I don't know what to think of it. It's so... Chinese. I dunno what bothers me more, the bit about a woman not being complete without loving a man or the old (Chinese) ways >>>>>>>> new (western) ways theme.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 15, 2017

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

a bad isekai say it ain't so doc

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

isekai is isewin

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

AnonSpore posted:

Are you just referring to the transition from fun adorable spider to cringe-inducing God of Pride that's already happened in the comic, or does it get even worse in the novel?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Explosions posted:

Are you just referring to the transition from fun adorable spider to cringe-inducing God of Pride that's already happened in the comic, or does it get even worse in the novel?

That was bad but also the part where it's revealed that the reason that the spider is a spider and not a girl like she remembers is because she WAS a spider, who got the memories of one of the girls in the classroom and I was just like riiiiight :jerkbag:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Explosions posted:

cringe-inducing God of Pride
can you elaborate on this? I dropped the series a few issues in cuz I hate spiders and thought the whole gimmick was lame af anyway.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Re:Monster is the worst isekai and spider girl was way more interesting before she started getting cheat powers. Well, bye.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Re:Monster is the worst isekai

And that's saying something.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Explosions posted:

Hahaha I remember when people kept saying, "No, this one's good you guys! It's not just otaku wish fulfillment!"

Isekai.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Pavlov posted:

Hahaha I remember when people kept saying, "No, this one's good you guys! It's not just otaku wish fulfillment!"

Isekai.

the problem isn't wish fulfillment junk, it's that the comic is just one character thinking to themselves as they act out a grindy rpg playthrough.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

dogsicle posted:

the problem isn't wish fulfillment junk, it's that the comic is just one character thinking to themselves as they act out a grindy rpg playthrough.

well, now its "two" characters.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Go gently caress yourself Pavlov

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Spirit Migration was pretty fun up until they gave the MC a child sized homunculus to inhabit.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

my onion: spider is good, actually

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Astro Ambulance posted:

my onion spider is good, actually

your onion spider??

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

AnonSpore posted:

Does it get "bad" beyond "dull and repetitive" still? Because god gently caress all happens in that series

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I like Kumo desu ga, because the main character narration is fairly entertaining and it has interesting fights that are all about weak MC overcoming far stronger opponents through skill and smarts, but yeah, the current trend of "Hmmmm...what will happen, if I invest skill points into this random skill with weird description? Oh, looks like all my stats increased tenfold and I got access to a dozen completely overpowered abilities, neat!" is getting tiresome. The manga is still pretty good IMHO, but I can see how it will all turn to poo poo, considering the main character is currently on express train into "boring invincible demigod" territory.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Re:Monster is the worst isekai

It cannot possibly be worse than Shield Hero.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

RareAcumen posted:

Spirit Migration was pretty fun up until they gave the MC a child sized homunculus to inhabit.
Yeah, and there's the one where the guy becomes a sword, except he also gained the ability to manifest as a person. And the one where the guy became a slime, except he also also gained the ability to manifest as a person. pthtbhbthb

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Kumo does eventually grow an actual plot, although with the manga skipping all the side chapters there is basically no foreshadowing for it, so I dunno how that's gonna go.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elysiume posted:

Yeah, and there's the one where the guy becomes a sword, except he also gained the ability to manifest as a person. And the one where the guy became a slime, except he also also gained the ability to manifest as a person. pthtbhbthb

Would've been neat if it had gone wrong for some reason and he ended up looking like that world's antichrist whenever he tries to get into the human body. Or he can only talk while he's in a tomato or something. Anything but child-sized body and being treated accordingly.

Maybe one day there'll be one of these that manages to not poo poo the bed 24 chapters in. I like the idea of overpowered character dealing with content that can't hope to beat them.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Elysiume posted:

That reminds me, I need some help with my new manga guys. It's about an otaku who gets reincarnated as a toenail clipper in an all girls academy in Narnia. This is definitely unrelated to my foot fetish though so stop bringing up my Pixiv account.

Anyway, so when the MC gets the power to manifest as a human again, I'm wondering if I should just have him cut nails with his teeth or...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Elysiume posted:

why wouldn't a slime be able to change form tho
i like slimeguy because he wasn't a useless pos in his human life, and spends his monster one being dad to a growing village of monsters/random adventurers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hellsau posted:

It cannot possibly be worse than Shield Hero.

It actually is, when i looked into it, the main character raping people into loving and obeying him was a standard part of the formula.

• Locked thread