Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

MrCinos posted:

Ainu words

Sold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
All those great faces and the main character gets the most generic one.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Why can't :smuggo: in the top left be the protagonist? They look way more interesting.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I see Donald Trump has kicked his rhetoric up a notch.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

The Helck one was pretty funny for the first few chapters until it started taking itself seriously.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I don't give a poo poo about convoluted human skin tattooed treasure maps, but Ainu is cool people. Should have just made Chillin with Ainu the comic.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Prison School

and the obligatory

Why do people keep trying to get me to read this fetish comic?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Oh good, I was worried someone was going to challenge me over the literary content of gyrating tripple D's.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Goodnight Moon.

Pro rec.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

they always taught us in school to not bow to peer pressure

Uh this is a japan thread, and japan has taught me that you should conform to your peers and not make waves being a creepy outsider.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Seafood I don't think the japanese keep kosher.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

For the same reason I call people by their nicknames when they have perfectly fine real names!

Oh good, feel free to call me 'Pavie-chan' then.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

That one is also good.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Silly japanese, that's not how you eat corn.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

But what are they lying o- drat it how did you beat me to that one

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Davincie posted:

the secret history of the mongolian horse from genghis khan to henry ford, not for the faint of heart

This is loving great.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Mikl posted:

It's about a dude and his childhood friend who have the power to see "first love zombies" - the psychic manifestations of a man's first crush, which behave differently depending on the situation (e.g.: still in love with that person, not in love with that person anymore, jealous, etc.). They have no clue where they got their power from and it's often very annoying, so the series is about them helping men with their love woes while at the same time trying to figure what the gently caress's up with this poo poo and how to get rid of it.

It's not deep by any meaning of the word, but it's fun :shobon:

Seems like the zombies are mostly an excuse to draw chicks in fetish outfits.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

What is it

with korean

comics

making such poor

use

of available page

space?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Tamen de Gushi is one of the few good manwha and also keeps its panels neat and orderly. It's mostly a yuri series about two girls, one who loves the other, and the other who's not too sure, and their various hijinks(sometimes it focuses on other characters too).

the chapter the below two images are from, it's great

I've been to places like that. It's generally a really bad idea to try and win that wager, whatever you might win as a prize, you'll be paying through intestinal agony later

This is chinese tho. It's korean comics that love their whitespace.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

^^^ This thing is fun because the basic premise is something you'd never see out of western media. It is a uniquely japanese clusterfuck.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Here is my summary of that comic:

Two entitled rich kids manage to independently misinterpret japan's complex unspoken system of minor social hierarchies into believing that the person who asks someone out on a date first automatically becomes the bitch in the relationship somehow. Both being spoiled narcissists, they each insist that they must be the ones to wear the pants in their future relationship they assume is inevitable. This of course is all just a rationalization to not have to initiate the weirdly formal and overblown way japanese highschool students apparently ask each other out. They proceed to spend the rest of their highschool life playing passive aggressive mindgames trying to convince the other one to crack and appear emotionally vulnerable so they don't have to. Meanwhile the japanese population slowly grows older as the younger generation refuses to have children for some reason.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Oh yeah it's a blast.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

^^^ He shouldn't be so worried. They're not even holding the sickle right.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Namtab posted:

You're supposed to convince me to read

Don't worry namtab. I'm sure we'll get a copycat comic that's just 90% giantess upskirt soon enough. If there's one thing we can count on in this medium it's that.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Petiso posted:

Inu Yashiki

My god. I never knew how much I wanted to read "Donald Trump Presents: The Purge: The Anime".

Until now.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Totsukuni no Shoujo

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Wait is that an entire franchise full of... (am I reading this right?) moe-fied japanese battleships?

E: Hahaha I would have thought it was some kind of elaborate troll if there wasn't a wikipedia page. Oh man.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 10, 2017

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Yinlock posted:

unfortunately konosuba justified the entire genre so i can't write the whole thing off either :negative:

I can. Konosuba's pretty much the same poo poo played straight, just with a wink and a nudge.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Yinlock posted:

look at this, the wrongest opinion

konosuba kinda starts as this but it quickly becomes apparent that it's basically d&d seinfeld, aka assholes being assholes to each-other

Seinfeld isn't funny either, and it's still funnier than konosuba.

Only interesting thing konosuba did was the cabbages.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Kanos posted:

I like Kaguya-sama a lot, but sometimes when reading it it feels like it's trying too hard to retell the same joke too many times.

Yeah I get that. It's kind of starts losing the whole mindgames premise as it goes on too, and just runs with the goofy highschool awkwardness.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've always wanted to see someone play some japanese TRPGs. There's supposedly some really weird ones but I could never find any good translations.

That comic looks really boring though.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Uhhhh I know there were some in the japan-game tabletop thread, but I think that got archived.

E: Wait found it. Ryuutama and Meikyuu Kingdom where the interesting sounding ones. I guess Ryuutama got kickstarter translated though?

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 3, 2017

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Well thats too bad. Though that is why the most important part of a tabletop game is having a group that can play fast and lose when the rules get tedious.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's a genre staple. it gives people from earth a pre-built place in the society and relationships. some examples are considerably more dickish than others.

Except 90% of the time its just a setup for nerdlord wish fulfillment.

Captain Invictus posted:

World customize creator

Like this for instance.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

'isekai stories are bad'

Nope, that's it. But every once in a while people seem to forget.

The bookworm one seems harmless though. Wasn't that a web novel originally? I'm pretty sure I tried reading it but the translated prose was just awful.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Narnia is an Isekai.

I've avoided rereading these as an adult because they are literally isekai christian fanfiction.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Explosions posted:

Are you just referring to the transition from fun adorable spider to cringe-inducing God of Pride that's already happened in the comic, or does it get even worse in the novel?

Hahaha I remember when people kept saying, "No, this one's good you guys! It's not just otaku wish fulfillment!"

Isekai.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Elysiume posted:

Yeah, and there's the one where the guy becomes a sword, except he also gained the ability to manifest as a person. And the one where the guy became a slime, except he also also gained the ability to manifest as a person. pthtbhbthb

That reminds me, I need some help with my new manga guys. It's about an otaku who gets reincarnated as a toenail clipper in an all girls academy in Narnia. This is definitely unrelated to my foot fetish though so stop bringing up my Pixiv account.

Anyway, so when the MC gets the power to manifest as a human again, I'm wondering if I should just have him cut nails with his teeth or...

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

*checks the most ignored users list* :thinking:

That's pretty impressive cap'n. I didn't even make the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Matoi Ryuko posted:

You could post a new thread if you want

Oh oh I'll do it!

• Locked thread