Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

Also Laphroaig is hella strong scotch that also got bought up by the american branch of Suntory, so it's Scottish alcohol owned by americans owned by the Japanese, which is kinda funny.

It's not that strong (Cooper's Choice is 45% IIRC, normal Laphroaig is 37.5%) but it's really nice Islay whisky. You're probably thinking of cask strength Laphroaig, which ends up around 60% ABV.

e; is there anywhere I can read Wizard's Soul chapters 1-5?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

In Training posted:

120 proof is some strong poo poo

Only cask strength Laphroaig is 120 proof, the regular stuff is the same ABV/proof as pretty much every other spirit out there.

e; vv yeah, the cask strength stuff will gently caress you up, it's just that what Micchan gets is just "regular" whisky.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 18, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thanks, K. Flaps.

e; Wizard's Soul is really good. Thanks, zoglin.

e2; I've run out of Wizard's Soul to read and now I'm really mad! Thanks, zoglin.

Also, Blue players are the loving worst.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 18, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

Taking suggestions for a group name.

Just make it "zoglin translations" or whatever.

Also please stop starting new things that are good, please translate some garbage manga instead so that I won't want to read it and be annoyed there's only one chapter. Thanks.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

p.59 should read "restaurant," not "restraunt," unless a restraunt is something weird in Japan.

Also I really like this series. It's good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

This whole chapter has been in exercise on why you don't do things if you haven't slept in 30 hours.

You have us to proofread, so you should clearly just not sleep at all and translate instead. (Just kidding, go get some sleep.)

Speaking of translator notes, I don't get the first one. What exactly is "name" supposed to mean in this context?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Thanks! It's a weird term out of context.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Micchan has some pretty great taste in whisky. I like peaty whiskies most of the time but the sherry cask 12 year old Macallan is good and really easy to drink (it's probably my favourite "cheap" single malt).

gently caress, now I want some chocolate and whisky. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 6, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, the credit/TL notes pages are good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

You need to update the op -___-

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

In Training posted:

This one

Is good.

I don't know that I'd recommend Laphroaig Quarter Cask to someone who doesn't drink whisky, because it's very peaty and it's stronger (and more expensive) than non-QC whisky. You're better off starting with just the regular 10 year old Laphroaig if you want to try something equally peaty but less expensive, that way if you don't like it it won't be as big a hole in your pocket.

On the non-peat side Macallan 12 is really good but it's a bit pricey.

K. Flaps posted:

I can't drink hard liquor without coke or something in it.

That's okay, you have the decency to recognise that you shouldn't put mixers in single malt.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 6, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Grouchio posted:

What IS this thread?

A very good thread.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I was always taught that ideally you should always add a splash of the same spring water used by the distillery to your scotch, but it's of course impossible to do unless you live down the road from the distillery, so you usually have to settle for a splash of mineral water instead.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

:yeah:

This is good, thanks.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Also from the translation notes: I'm curious as to what the common reading of East/Cloud as a surname would be, assuming it exists, since Shinonome is an uncommon one. Google translate (for what little that's worth) tells me "東雲" just translates to "dawn."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

though individually(/in other compounds) they come up all the time.

Yeah, I figured. Thanks for the information!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I hope Wizard's Soul concludes with her realising the folly of her Blue ways and changing to a better colour, like literally anything else, even White.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Twiddy posted:

but from the perspective of someone who plays these games somewhat seriously, she's not actually doing anything assholish at all.

No, she's playing assholish decks that are designed to win by making GBS threads all over her opponent's ability to do anything (which is not in any way fun to be on the receiving end of), and on top of that she's just stone-faced and looks miserable throughout the entire game. She's definitely not exhibiting the pinnacle of good sportsmanship, and just because real-life M:tG tournaments are that competitive doesn't mean her behaviour is okay. The Netrunner competitive scene gets by just fine with people being friendly at tournaments, for example (and also doesn't really have deck archetypes that prevent the opponent from acting).

Also, janky doesn't really mean "bad," it just means "only works in an incredibly narrow set of situations." :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

Cant wait for the next drinking girls chapter so this thread can talk about something cool like getting sloshed alone in your apartment again. :cheerdoge:

In anticipation, I'm getting sloshed with friends in my apartment this Saturday, and I bought Macallan Gold for the occasion.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

http://imgur.com/a/Q7fCs

i was super lazy this chapter but y'all'll live

The pictures of Japanese gyms at the end do not appear to be under-equipped.

Also, how expensive are we talking, here? Because UK gyms are about £50 a month, usually with a £40 set-up charge.

e; vv that's fair, it just looks like so many cardio machines I'm assuming there's weights somewhere off-screen.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 29, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

Note that all of the machines are treadmills/bikes/etc. There is a severe lack of heavy things to pick up :(

The gyms in my area are a little more than 10,000 yen a month for a basic membership (which is upwards of 2x what I would expect to pay back in the US) with something like 15,000 as a sign up fee (though they run pretty frequent campaigns that waive some of that).

Youch. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
zoglin, please post the comics. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

I'm not dead, just supes busy :(

Should be back to postin the comics mid-December.

:dance:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

:same:

I'm glad you're posting the comics again, zoglin. Thanks for all your work. :toot:

Mors Rattus posted:

Doner kabob is the most correct and good food.

Don't move to England, the only country in the world where every single kebab place is trash. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jostiband posted:

Except this one, maybe :smith:

English kebabs are the food people use to puke up their booze at 4am, so technically "more Scotch" is the solution. At the very least, you won't be able to taste it. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Please continue doing all the manga you're doing because your translations are really good. :coffeepal:

I hope we get a Kabakura/Koyanagi chapter soon. :3:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 19, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pastrymancy posted:

People still fax things in Japan?

People still fax things everywhere. Try working in finance or government.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chumbler posted:

They are, but I want to see more of the other couple on their own, because they are at least as cute.

:agreed:

I like how the romantic relationship feels like two adults, too.

Thanks, zoglin.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Thanks, zoglin. :coffeepal:

I still want a whole chapter about these two, they're so cute:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 22, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's pretty obvious since it's right below their thumbs up. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Erg posted:

it's pretty cute is what it is

:yeah:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chumbler posted:

Those boobs.

But seriously, I like Kabakura and Koyanagi more than the main couple.

They're the best. :allears:

Also, please don't be verbally abusive towards your girlfriend, Bakakura. :(

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 27, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

Good news for people who like Drinking Girls: volume 2 will be out in March (probably). So here's the last chapter in volume one.

Thanks.

Also, I'm still really liking the translation notes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

Tehy make me hungry and thirsty.

:same:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thanks for the comics, zoglin!

e; the translator "wotes" for 5.1 have a couple of typoes: "don't EVEN tell me know don't know" in the last paragraph, and that paragraph is also missing a word.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 7, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

Drink!

It'll be up on batoto later.

Do they make the Prosit/Prost mistake in the original Japanese? Because if not, the toast is Prost, even though it is derived from the Latin Prosit (thanks, Wikipedia).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

Yeah, Japan seems to always spell it Prosit (that's how it's spelled in the dictionaries I see: http://ejje.weblio.jp/content/prosit, http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=prosit, http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E3%83%97%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E3%83%83%E3%83%88, https://kotobank.jp/word/%E3%83%97%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E3%83%83%E3%83%88-622467), but I guess if that's wrong it's wrong! Maybe I'll leave it that way in the dialogue and make a note about it?

Maybe a result of the fact that you can't have two consonants one after the other in Japanese? I'd make it Prost and put a note in the TNs about Prosit/Prost and how Japan spells it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thanks for the comics, zoglin. :toot:

Not really a mistake but this feels like it should read "It really pisses me off how you always try to play the 'normal person' even though you're an otaku, too!" to flow better.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

Or not, apparently the mod who approved it doesn't know how the site works, ffffffffffffffffffff

Is there anywhere else good to upload stuff? I hear batoto is "the best" in terms of various things, but they are a pain to deal with.

AFAIK uploaders usually just reupload as a v2 and delete the first version, normally. It's a bit of a pain, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I love that manga, but sometimes it gets a little too real...

• Locked thread