Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fairly sure this series isn't going to have Missy running around in a string bikini and torn pantyhose for absurdly contrived reasons, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I adored the fact that the Master's reaction to being cornered by the Daleks was... try to make a deal to work with\for them. Because of COURSE she does. Put her against a wall and she'll try to collaborate with you and the wall, whichever seems to have the stronger position. Only because she's smarter than all of them, obviously and they'd never betray her before she could betray th-oops vapourised!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Illuen posted:

A quick idea I had after seeing this episode:

At the end of last season when Missy told the Doctor where Gallifrey was, he went to the coordinates and there was nothing there. Is it possible it was there and was under the same kind of Technobabble hidden shield that Skaro was under? It would be just like Missy to send the Doctor to find Gallifrey, telling him exactly where it is and then he couldn't find it when it is right in front of his eyes.

That'd be pretty good, actually. Especially if she didn't know the Time Lords had done it.

"What d'you mean it wasnae there? Why would I lie about that? You hate the bloody place, and I was hoping you would kill Rassilon again. Or he'd kill you... you know, something fun!"

Slightly off the current track, I nabbed that recent 12th Doctor book that was mentioned earlier. The one by Gary Russell, with Twelve and Benny. And he somehow got BBC books to sign off on publishing a Bernice Summerfield book with the Doctor Who logo on the cover, because the first third of the book is basically just a Benny story with a brief cameo by the Doctor in between Benny and her family mucking about across space and time. It feels a little too self-consiously going for tongue-in-cheek space opera at times, but Russell has an ear for Benny's voice, obviously, and also manages to do a decent job distinguishing her from River by focusing on her tendency to gather a found family. (And her more 'mum' side, with comments about how she's approaching middle age and embarrassing her son by trying to help him pick up boys.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astroman posted:

I still have to pick that book up, but that's a fair point about the difference between Benny and River. Despite their both being snarky diary loving space archaeologists, Benny is a lot more 3-dimensional than River...she has her hangups, but she seems a lot more genuine. With River it's all about looking cool and posing (a common theme I guess) to compensate for the fact that the whole first part of her life was a lie and she was programmed to fall for and kill the Doctor. River seems a lot more tragic and broken, whereas Benny is just kinda roguish and you know in the end she'll find some sort of happiness. River is destined to spend a lot of her adult life in jail and die in a computer.

I feel like Benny, over her time in the NAs and the audios has taken on much more of a life of her own under many authors, while River is just a closed loop.

I've actually stopped reading it because the audio version went up for pre-order on Audible right as my subscription renewed, so I just used it to order that, mostly because they got the only person that makes any sense to read it: Lisa Bowerman. (I mainly want to hear her Capaldi impression, to be honest. As her Sylvester is pretty hilarious)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Is the one on the left the one that got 'tickled' by Missy?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It doesn't really matter beyond the point is that it's Skaro. If ever there was going to be a mixed bag of Daleks, it'd be there.

"YOU THINK WE ALL LOOK THE SAME?! DIS-CRIM-INATE! DIS-CRIM-INATE!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also he's an old, dying man. You have to do something in your spare time at that age. Potter about in the shed out in the wasteland of Skaro while the kids are off doing genocide or whatever it is the young mutants do these days. Making a snake man passes the time and when you're done, it's even useful!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Also he means Mara, the Kinda were the people and the Mara were the snakes.

Meanwhile I got completely confused and was thinking of the Myrka whenever people were making that comparison.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

So, odds on The Doctor murdering a frightened child? I'd be tempted if I were Moffat, if only to try and summon the spirit of Mary Whiehouse out of spite.

Infinity-to-1. He's gonna shoot the minefield. It's blatantly obvious from the wording. "...the only way I can"
They literally played dialogue from a time the Doctor was willing to kill Davros and he didn't mince words there, Five just outright said it. The only reason to be coy with the phrasing is if it's meant to be ambiguous, which has the amusing backfire of not being ambiguous at all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just want an iconic sci-fi character to disintegrate an unarmed child on national TV and claim it was justified. Is that really too much to ask? :shrug:

Oh, so you haven't seen season 3 of Torchwood then? You should, it's good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I know that blog is pretty reliable, but I'm waiting for BF to make the announcement before I get too excited.

EDIT: Actually stunned no-one has done "What...? What?! ...WHAT?!?" yet.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 23, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN1UF9U9dzw

If you want a sample of the eponymous audio, here's the opening monologue people are talking about.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And it's also a reveal that relies on you assuming he's in it anyway.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah. :smith:

Fandom spoils everything.

I was going to make a snide/glib comment about this being the attitude that led to the show nearly dying during Colin's run, and how it's pretty disastrous for other mediums/properties (ask any wrestling fan how WWE's policy of not hiring fans to be writers has worked out). But honestly, I'm both perplexed and saddened at the sentiment, especially from the thread's walking embodiment of the Tumblr generation and the boom in open, unabashed enthusiastic fandom that's come with it. Like... are you OK, man?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:hfive: Genesis owns.

Also Genesis of The Daleks is pretty good too!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Although Davros's trap was obvious, I like to think that his discussion about having a place to belong after finding that Gallifrey survived was sincere. As he says, he's all about protecting your own, and even if the Doctor is his enemy, he respects what he did.

I think that's an interesting take on Davros. He doesn't HATE the Doctor, he just believes as he always did that the only true path to peace is for one race to reign supreme and wipe out all others, and he wants it to be his and almost wants to convince the Doctor that he should feel the same. He could understand that. It's the infinite compassion that he has difficulty with. It's an (almost) alien concept to him coming from an outsider.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

2house2fly posted:

The scene where Missy killed Dr Chang in Dark Water was basically a carbon copy of River killing the Dalek in Big Bang

Except for motive, context and tone, sure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Forktoss posted:

There's The Five Doctors too, which is a good one as well, so yeah, no real clunkers under Tewwy's belt. But if we're talking about the script editor with the most consistently good output, I think David Whitaker takes the cake. There's only really The Sensorites and The Keys of Marinus weighing his season-and-a-half down (and they aren't really awful, either), and his own scripts include the two best Dalek stories and a half-dozen other ones that range from classics to pretty good ones. The Wheel in Space isn't great, but the The Edge of Destruction, The Rescue, The Crusade, The Enemy of the World and The Ambassadors of Death are all perfectly solid.

Dicks would probably disagree with you about Five Doctors, considering he HATED that he was forced to make the Cybermen the main classic baddie in it, and how much on-the-fly rewriting he had to do to accommodate who was and was not available for shooting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

The budget for Series 5 was actually lower than it had been for Series 4 and probably for S3 too.

Yeah, that's pretty much why people were shocked at Eleventh Hour and how much better it looked than the prior few years.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

After The War posted:

The whole framing narrative for Five Doctors is dumb as hell. "Only the Lord President has access to the Time Scoop. We have no idea who could have used it!" And Dicks shares Moffat's habit of introducing a threat/obstacle and resolving it instantly.*

But Fang Rock is a classic and State of Decay is a goddamn treasure, so that forgives a lot.

*Even though the solution is never explained, the Pi chessboard (?!) sequence actually plays well simply for giving Ainley a chance to do the classic Master betrayal.

The Pi puzzle is mostly annoying because there's a fairly easy, if rote, answer you could use. Each row, the correct tile is the corresponding significant digit of pi. Which I think Ainley tried to do, given how he bounds across the board. But then the Doctor just strolls across the middle.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

After The War posted:

But then you'd have to have ten nine squares on each side instead of eight and you'd have to designate which side to start from and it's a number that everyone knows stretches towards infinity and :psyboom:

Yes, but having to step on tile 3 then 1 then 4 then 1 then 5 makes SOME sense.

Burkion posted:

One actual minor thing though- if we're still going off of the logic from Inside the Dalek, that the suit uses radiation or whatever to do a thing to make Daleks evil and whatsit, ignoring the fact that Skaro is no longer radioactive- shouldn't the inside of that suit be? Especially for the pilot?

The radiation was a result of the damage to Rusty and it altered it's brain chemistry such that it became 'good', it's not a normal part of the suit/tank's function. And I saw the computer in that episode as more of a constant propaganda loop. Not inherently necessary for the Daleks to be what they are, but hey, may as well reinforce the party line if you can, right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Finally got round to watching ep 2 and man......Capaldi is just written exactly like Smith now. That's very blah.

I disagree. Eleven came off very Steve Urkel, a total dork trying way too hard to be cool and most of the time fooling no-one but himself. Twelve at this point feels a bit more like a Doc Brown, an old crazy dude having fun doing what he loves and because of that, he comes off as actually pretty fuckin' cool.

TinTower posted:

Just expanding this further:

Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Davros! And I am the creator of the beasts incarnate, THE. DALEKS!!!!"

(I'm here! You're here! Let's. EXTERMINATE!)

And, of course, the iconic TARDIS sound

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's almost like they're the same person or something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think that stuff is more Peter wanting to play more of a traditional Doctor crossed with his own wannabe-rock-star aspirations. He's basically getting to play make-believe for all the stuff he wanted to do from age 5 to about age 22.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't know that that's not deliberate, considering the Doctor's words to her when they go to see about the cloister bell. He seemed to be concerned that she was acting more excited about it than even him.I wonder if that's the lead up to her leaving, the Doctor kicks her off the TARDIS because she's becoming too much like him.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 4, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Should've shoved Donald Trump up it's rear end instead...

Nah, Trevor Noah already compared him to genocidal megalomaniacs in the real world, no need to make the job any easier.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Actually, it's not gibberish. That's the sign for "you're beautiful". That explains her smile and then confusion since his lips didn't match the sign.

Doctor gettin' his flirt on.

I assume he, the interpreter and she were all using BSL? That has to be weird if you're a deaf actor who signs and tries to get work elsewhere in the world, even if the written and spoken language is the same.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You think other Time Lords (and Ladies) look at the Doctor like we look at celebs with purse-dogs? "Oh for gently caress's sake, he's got another one, and look at how he dresses them up!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So.... "Minister of War", blatant foreshadowing or throwaway 'make it sound future-y' reference?

And if the former, odds that it's Michelle Gomez in a trouser-suit?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 11, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

I'm pretty sure Peter Capaldi probably asked to play the guitar because he plays the guitar and thought it would be cool if his Doctor could play guitar.

No, you see, the Doctor playing the spoons is clearly a clumsy attempt to appeal to the massive spoon-playing demographic...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

vegetables posted:

Well, he can meet them again! And they can be different characters this time for, um, "time reasons".

That audio is very good, by the way. Nyssa gets to hang out with the NotBeatles in Hamburg while the Doctor is nearly murdered by BeatleMania.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

John Hurt was also a serious drinker for most of his life. Down the pub every night for years and years and years. That will wear you a bit thin eventually

Who was it that got pissed and decided to go and see a play with a random stranger, before elbowing the dude in the ribs in the second act and going, "Oh, this bit's great, it's the part where I come on- gently caress!"?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

I’m sorry. Mary Tamm? Jago & Litefoot? DAVID WARNER?!?

Just the stylistic differences between this, The Dark Flame and the rest of the main range make me glad Big Finish didn’t follow up too much on the Virgin New Adventures and spun Bernice Summerfield out into her own line. It just felt incredibly mean spirited and a lot more “PG-13” rated than the other stories just in terms of sheer violence, like when the aliens made the con-goers turn on each other in brutal ways.

And I just don’t like Bennie in these stories. I like Lisa Bowerman and she does a great job AS Bennie, but it’s the same trap as River Song – I love Alex Kingston but sometimes they’re both just a little TOO smug and a little TOO awesome.

Highly recommend The Big Bang Generation, then. The first half is Benny loving stuff up worse than it was to begin with, to the point that she has to send very, very post-dated postcards and text the Twelfth Doctor to help out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, that was great. I love how in general, when the companions in the rebooted series have not been hopless without the Doctor, but that was by far the best moment any of them had.

Yeah, even down to the Odin guy straight up saying Clara almost had him talking, which she was clearly better at than him. I like that they're showing that Clara's learning from the Doctor instead of just having him say it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

I feel as though this season goes a lot better if the viewer knows that this year the season's comprised of 4 2-part episodes. Every other week it seems like most of the criticism comes from people stunned at the "To Be Continued"s at the end, and I honestly thought people heard/knew that there were going to be a lot of those this year.

4? I'm fairly sure there's 5 2 parters, and only 2 one-shots. The 2 weeks after next is the Zygons, and the finale is clearly a double.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

The 20s or 30s, I can't remember which. But yeah, they sent him (and Rory's dad! And presumably Amy's tiny little dad too) a letter saying,"It's okay, we're happy, we're living a good life."

I mean there was the small matter of World War II coming up of course, but nothing's perfect!

Well, we know Rory's stance on that Hitler fellow, I'm sure he was lobbying for America to get stuck in.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't that sort of what the Monk does in season 4 of the EDAs?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

misadventurous posted:

I liked her and they're probably bringing her back this series

Probably by saying the one that Missy offed was the Zygon one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Specifically, he did Hamlet with the Royal Shakespeare Company, which was probably #2 on his list of dream jobs.

When did he and Tate do that run of Much Ado About Nothing as Benedick and Beatrice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually feel a little guilty about laughing at that joke about Jack 'getting around' to Ashildr. Like, Capaldi nailed the delivery but even though they're both thousands of years old, it's still a little icky because Maisie is 18 and Barrowman is like 50.

• Locked thread