Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

CobiWann posted:

I don’t think he’s evil…just egotistical, full of himself, successful, and knows just enough not to know that he knows nothing at all.

Which, as Doctor Who has shown us, can be worse than being evil.

Yeah, but there's just... something about him. I don't know. When I look at him there's just this sound in my head...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

DoctorWhat posted:

Gamergate.

Every time someone types that I feel like someone just said "Frau Blucher".

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
They could call it Whose Master.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Burkion posted:

Maybe it's meant to take the place of the Sarah Jane Smith adventures?

Does that mean we're going to get a so totally grown up show for grown ups like Torchwood again?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I have two friends that are very much "Tumblr Girlfans". Only one of them uses Tumblr, but both are very, very much in the "post glurgy pictures with poems/short fanfiction about Rose/10" demographic which I assume is what people are generally alluding to, and they've really been digging this series so far. One of them had a lot of criticisms of Capaldi's tone in Series 8 ("too mean"), but they really like Series 8/9 Clara and the episodes this series so far. Not a statistically valid sample etc etc, but at least those sorts of fans I know personally aren't running away.

The people I know who are leaving are the ones who seemed to just be in it because they liked 11's wackiness, if anything.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

DoctorWhat posted:

i can't get over that Smith picture

Me either.

Also, look at Heartthrob Hartnell over there.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I wouldn't mind if most of them asked me to play doctor with them. :syoon:

I mean, I'd say no, but it seemed like an appropriate line.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

thespaceinvader posted:

Electric eels do not live in Norway.

Hans Christian Andersen was Danish. Denmark is next to Norway. Hans Christian Andersen wrote The Little Mermaid. Disney adapted The Little Mermaid into an animated feature that included two electric eels. Therefore, electric eels are sufficiently Norwegian. QED.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Even with that evidence, I wouldn't interpret it as "Clara is dead already" so much as "the Doctor created a giant fuckoff time paradox one time he saved her and he's running away from it". Which I guess is the same thing in a sense, but the "Clara is dead" way projects a different mental image.

I suppose it could be cool if he finds Gallifrey in the finale and the first thing they say to him is basically "you done hosed up time, fix it or you're not coming home." (Or arrest Clara and put her in the Paradox Quarantine Chamber or whatever other similar plot)

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 20, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't know exactly what time period that was, but didn't like, 7 pounds used to be a ridiculous amount? I know in the 1600s it was around 7 pounds to book a trip to the Americas and it was far more than most people would ever be able to afford (hence selling themselves into indentured servitude to get to the colonies).

Unless the TARDIS translates currency amounts.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 25, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jerusalem posted:

As the guards said, the amount was "a small fortune" for the time - it's just that Ashildr had much, much, much, much more than that and the Doctor still "only" gave them 30 pounds.

It's fun as a joke, but also I guess it makes sense in that they're more likely to believe there is 30 pounds in the house as opposed to saying what would be the 2015 equivalent of,"There's a billion-gajillion dollars in the house!"

Right, that makes sense.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm betting on Clara dying, and I think the Eye Of Hades may be what does it. This is because it was talking about "opening the way to hell" and such (episode title spoiler:) and the final episode is named Hell Bent. Ashildr will probably be involved.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Proposition Joe posted:

Pretty good episode, although I am tired of Moffat era episodes and characters named The Blank Who Blanked. Also, I thought throughout the episode that Clara was already dead and that this took place after the end of this season.

It was easy to miss, but he actually mentioned really early in the episode that she was busy getting her "year 7 in Tae Kwon Do".

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Gaz-L posted:

I actually feel a little guilty about laughing at that joke about Jack 'getting around' to Ashildr. Like, Capaldi nailed the delivery but even though they're both thousands of years old, it's still a little icky because Maisie is 18 and Barrowman is like 50.

I have to admit I didn't even think of it that way.

Though I was weirded out but the mentions of her kids because I had no idea how old Maisie was and she looked 16-ish or a little younger to me (not that that wouldn't have been common in that time period but still).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Regarde Aduck posted:

If its middle class to perform critical thinking then thank god for the middle class. I assume the working class solution was genocide and the upper class solution was to get the working class to perform the genocide.

The problem isn't necessarily the "fighting is madness and doesn't solve anything!" perspective. That's correct. The problem is that we have a bit of a problem with discounting entire movements' legitimate concerns the second a small group of them use violence or cause a riot or uprising. Then suddenly the entire media perspective instantly shifts into this concern trolling "I agree people need equal rights but..." stance and focuses solely on the violence instead of the issues. Like, yeah, unless you're living in a legitimate despotic hellhole staging a rebellion or riot probably isn't going to end up being a great idea, but as a society we're way quicker to use 24 hours of constant news to shame and condemn a movement for using violence than we are to give a platform to a similar (even peaceful) movement's concerns.

To some degree getting an issue talked about at all requires you to do something either slightly evil, dumb, or provocative and hope people talk about the actual issue in between condemning or mocking you. Moderates can always find a reason why a group they ostensibly "agree with" is doing things incorrectly and should just do something different, or wait until a "better time" to voice their concerns (but of course, that time never comes). Violence is one of the more legitimate "you're doing it wrong" criticisms, but that also means that it makes a much easier thing to talk about instead of taking action over the actual issue at hand.

It's kind of just "not even wrong". Yeah, the Doctor has a legitimate point, the violence the Zygon rebellion used was reprehensible. But even in this episode all the focus was on the uprising aspect and they pretty much swept the entire rebellion's actual concerns under the rug in order to lecture them about how their way of accomplishing that objective was dumb. It was framed as "cry me a river, you used violence so you lose all right to have concerns."

Like, the speech was an absurdly good character moment, but the whole thrust of the content was troubling. Not like "TAKE DOCTOR WHO OFF THE AIR AND BAN THIS EPISODE" bad or anything so dramatic, just something I found off that I think is worth looking at.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know if this predates your time or not, but if it was Jenna Coleman's idea to make the Doctor's contact picture on her phone a stick insect then she's a goddamn genius :allears:

I don't get it. :(

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Maybe DoctorDonna is the Hybrid and this will end up being the greatest season arc ever.

TinTower posted:

Can someone please explain the "Clara is dead" theory to me? I don't get it.

In the second story the Doctor acted like he had already hosed with time to save Clara, also something about the cloister bell ringing around her I can't remember. I don't remember if there was anything in the Viking one, and in the most recent story he made that remark that it was "like she was dead for a month" and "I'll be the judge of time". He's really just been acting extremely wonky around her in general, like he's hiding or afraid of something. Or avoiding something he knows has to happen to her eventually.

Somebody can probably lay this out better, I'm not recalling all the evidence with total clarity.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 14, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
All I could think about the whole time is that a machine that makes you not have to sleep would make a great premise for a Black Mirror episode.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Angela Christine posted:

^^^ exactly!

The process remained the same, but the signal embedded in the video would lead to a sandman creating chain reaction, maybe? It was hard to follow, the guy lied a lot and also was turning into dust so he may not have been thinking clearly.

Obviously that guy knew nothing about viral videos though. Time and productivity is so important to these people that they don't sleep anymore, so who has time to watch a 40 minute shaky cam video? If you want everyone to watch it as soon as they hear about it, then it shouldn't be more than 5 minutes long. And the signal that turns you into a sandman producer should be at the beginning, not the end, because no matter how great you think your masterpiece is some people are going to turn it off after 10 seconds.

He should've just put it in the first second of a rickroll.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Actually kind of reminds me of a dark side Jack Harkness.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

HD DAD posted:

It's me. I have Marco Polo.

I only have Marco.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Was the graffiti supposed to be a memorial by Rigsy? It only occurred to me because he was painting walls (admittedly not by choice) in Flatlined.

I guess it's probably more likely to be "the Doctor has been gone so long the TARDIS got tagged!" but I had the thought.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Oh right, for some reason I thought he did graffiti, but I couldn't remember for sure so I convinced myself the only paint we saw was the community service work he was doing.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Man, I'm not getting the vitriol some people are putting on Ashildr/Me. Like, she ain't making my favorite Who character list, but she's been incredibly inoffensive to me.

I can even get not liking the character, she has problems. I know a lot of it is probably just hyperbole, but the "she's super loving awful and terrible" thing seems a bit excessive.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Maxwell Lord posted:

See I was getting more an "Amnesia: Dark Descent" vibe from this episode (and by extension all those horror games which are "you are being pursued by something horrific, solve these puzzles before it kills you".) But whatever.

I saw this one in it too, more than Dark Souls.

Though the thing it reminded me of the most is an old Sierra adventure game called Lighthouse.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Apparently the diamond wall punch erosion is possible, but they probably underestimated the time scale a bit..

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Pizdec posted:

Also, it has always been a fairly off-hand thing, so it's weird that the fandom and the reboot chose to cling so tenuously to this particular off-hand piece of trivia.

You say these things are "off-hand trivia" now, but just wait until we all successfully predict the fluid link running out of mercury at an inopportune moment!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
So Clara is going to return next Christmas with Rusty, Jack, Me, Cyber-Brig, and Jenny, right?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Fellow human scholars of Gallifrey,

Previously we had been fed what we had deemed to be clearly false and ridiculous information about "looms" and their integral role in the reproductive cycle of the Time Lord. However, I have come across shocking evidence that the information may have merely been miscommunicated, as opposed to wholly incorrect. It is my belief that it is, in fact, the humble TARDIS that comes from the hallowed looms of The Missing Planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

kant posted:

Nah see Capaldi just wants his regeneration to be a surprise. So, this announcement is his attempt at disinformation. He's really not planning to leave for at least 10 more years.

He's arranged for a camera to be on him at all times. He'll regenerate when he dies for real.

• Locked thread