Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

Hmmm. New thread. That's weird.

I always drrrreeeeezzzz for the occasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed the episode. I thought it was fun and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next week.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I quite enjoyed that Davros's presence was fairly understated. He's just there and as far as I can recall there wasn't a huge amount of hype for it ahead of time. I don't think I would have liked it as much if there'd been all sorts of dramatic posing and shape-throwing and wild-eyed teeth-clenching and what-have-you.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Modern nerd poo poo in general seems to be obsessed with "cool moments". Same as the Avengers (especially the most recent one) and it just makes it unwatchable for me.

It's much easier to share that kind of thing on Tumblr. :v:

(Share? Reblog? Retumble? Whatever you do on Tumblr, I don't know.)

Rochallor posted:

It is a bit weird that Davros seems to have the classic series on DVD, though.

He got the original tapes from Robert Mugabe at the last Annual Corrupt Venal Dictators Swap Meet.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 20, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

People who aren't following British politics today are missing out

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was going to ask if those weren't his Troughton Trousers but I reckon they're pretty similar, actually.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Charles Stross is a writer I'd like to see get a shot at Doctor Who, but I'm not sure if he's ever done anything for telly before.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HERAK posted:

If i ever win the lottery I'm paying to get the Laundry Files adapted for tv, Game of Thrones style. There are a few British scifi/fantasy authors i would love to either contribute a story idea or write a full script. It has worked before: we briefly had Douglas Adams.

Yes, I've been reading that series. I'm about to start the third one. It's good.

I would also be interested in seeing what Ben Aaronovitch might do if he was given another go at it (I read the most recent Rivers of London book a couple of months back).

I hope you don't mind me saying (I enjoy reading your reviews but never really have much to add, I'm afraid) that this Cygnia fellow you quote each time always seems awfully cross. Maybe he or she should have a lie down? :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

Cygnia is one of my best friends and someone who has seen drat near as much classic Who as Boston’s PBS channel ever aired. She’s also a drat good writer who has been out of work for a very long time. I asked her to contribute her thoughts to my reviews as both a non-goon opinion and a way to get her writing, even for a little bit.

I see. I did not mean to be rude, of course.

The_Doctor posted:

That would be great to see, loving the RoL series.

I believe Aaronovitch has actually mentioned he pictures Nightingale as being played by Paul McGann.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"The Two Doctors" is one of the older ones - the second Colin Baker story released on DVD, I believe. Surprised it hasn't had a special edition re-release yet, when stuff like "The Green Death", "The Claws of Axos", "The Ark In Space", "The Visitation" and "Resurrection of the Daleks" all have, when they were released either alongside it or after it.

That being said, I don't know whether they released a special edition as part of the Sontaran box set that came out after they showed up in the revival.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You can sometimes find codes online that'll allow you to set your DVD player to Region 0.

After The War posted:

I'm going to choose to believe this is because everyone really wants to see the Robert Holmes documentary extra feature.

Was that not on "Horror of Fang Rock"? (Might be thinking of a different writer.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My mistake. I can never remember which DVD has which special features, with the exception of "Earthshock" (which has a making-of thing which consists of everyone they interviewed slagging off the story, and an episode of Did You See...? about Doctor Who monsters) and "Pyramids of Mars" ("NEIL BEFORE THE MIGHT OF SUTEKH!").

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Revelation" is fine when the Doctor is actually in it. As it is, he and Peri spend most of the first episode walking towards a building in the snow, and I'm pretty sure a couple of the subplots are almost totally independent of him and anything he actually does. I don't really enjoy either it or "Resurrection", but then again, I'm not a great Eric Saward fan outside of "The Visitation" and "The Caves of Androzani" (which was written by Robert Holmes, but in the style of an Eric Saward story :v:).

It does have the single most over-the-top reaction to being exterminated in the entire history of the show.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 24, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

That bit.

Though I thought there was a bit where he slowly reaches out to Kara after he's finished writhing about but before he drops dead.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Except where two sects of Daleks a foot away from one another fire at each other for like thirty minutes and don't hit poo poo.

They were practicing for their big championship match against the Imperial stormtroopers that weekend.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed that episode a lot. It was fun.

I have wonder how many times Moffat watched Return of the Jedi before he wrote it, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Vader, surely, for the "see you with my own eyes" bit.

Yeah, I kept expecting Davros to gasp out, "Now go, my son..."

The villainous grandstanding at the end was definitely a bit Palpatine, but I think it may have been somewhat more ROTS Palpatine than ROTJ Palpatine.

Actually, one thing that the Doctor and Davros's interactions for most of the episode sort of put me in mind of was (and I acknowledge this probably a bit fanciful on my part) Londo and G'Kar circa seasons two and three of B5.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been thinking lately whether it's possible Moffat is staying on at least partly because the BBC don't have confidence in anyone else and will try to finish the show if he leaves? I'm pretty sure somebody mentions several threads ago that this was mooted when RTD and Tennant both announced they were going to step down, and Davies had to persuade them to let it continue with Moffat as showrunner. Was that true?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Edit: I think Joe Lidster, who was running The Sarah Jane Adventures at the time, was next in line in the event that Moffat declined.

:stare:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question: does Mary Tamm play the woman asking the last question at the end of this NTNON sketch?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

drat it Paul, that's a Dalek not Peter Davison!

CobiWann posted:

Or Richard E Grant!

He's just appreciative that they didn't need to give him a box to stand on this time. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spatula City posted:

Did they just get better cinematographers? Because the look of the show since Eleventh Hour has been consistently way better, and I'm still not quite sure why. And it seems to me like generally, outside a few episodes, season 8/9 have looked even better. Deep Breath was a messy episode, but the look of it was incredible.
So many episodes since Eleventh Hour have had a cinematic quality to their filmmaking, while under Davies it really looked like the kid's TV show it was most of the time. From a craftsman's perspective I think the Moffat era is inarguably better.

It's gone from being a CBBC* show that ranges in quality from bad-to-brilliant, to show on the CW** that ranges in quality from bad-to-brilliant. :D

* Not derogatory because that's something I liked about it - Eccleston's season I think could've slotted in quite neatly alongside the Demon Headmaster serials I was so enamoured of as a child.

** That seems like the sort of demographic it's aiming at these days - what would've been the Buffy audience 15 years ago.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 30, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Which Baker story was it that Dicks wrote because Holmes (as script editor) asked him to, but as part of this good-natured revenge scheme for when Dicks (as script editor) asked Holmes to write a particular Pertwee story (which I believe turned out to be "The Time Warrior")?

I have an inkling it was "Morbius" but that doesn't seem quite right.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think there was something about the BBC wanting shows to be filmed in HD or 3D (something with a "D" on the end, anyway :v:) during season five, which pushed up the costs. How much truth is there to that?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

So the solution is clear, somehow capture Robert Holmes' ghost (use a frightened child as bait)

Ah, the Yewtree strategy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Diabolik900 posted:

A hu-men Dalek?

"YA FYOO-CHAH!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed "The Doctor's Wife". I wasn't really familiar with Neil Gaiman at the time beyond recognising his name, but I've since read a couple of his books and I liked them a lot as well.

Even so, it's a bit disappointing that he managed to write one episode I think is one of the best, and one that I'm sure a lot of people think may be one of the weakest ("Nightmare In Silver"). It's certainly one of the most disappointing (the two episodes of the revival I personally consider the worst in the sense that they're my least favourites are the two I think are most disappointing; "The End of Time" and "Let's Kill Hitler").

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xelkelvos posted:

Nightmare in Silver could have been good if not for the literally shoehorned children characters added because he was forced to add them. If it was purely just the Doctor versus the Cybermen and anything that connected to the children cut out and filled in with stuff to make the A and B plot better, it might have been one of the better episodes of that series.

Perhaps so. What I've also heard is that Gaiman understood the kid characters would be included, but he thought they'd have been the Victorian kids from "The Snowmen" for whom Clara had been governess.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed it - it felt a lot like a Tom Baker type episode to me. For some reason it made me think of "The Ark In Space"?

Or maybe even one of the old Troughton base-under-siege stories?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ms Boods posted:

He only knew Capaldi from Thick of It; I've been a fan since the days of Local Hero and Lair of the White Worm,which he'd never seen before he met me. So sweet, gentle PC of Local Hero & slightly madcap PC of Worm left him :stare:, whereas sweary PC/Malcolm Tucker left me :stonk:.

Heh. When Capaldi was announced, my mum didn't know who he was until I tried, "He played the Songs of Praise producer in that one episode of The Vicar of Dibley." :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trin Tragula posted:

That at least will not be a problem in upcoming weeks!

I was going to say but then I thought it'd be a bit :troll:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

This sums up a lot of my own feelings about it. There is a ton that is demonstrably bad about it, but there's just something about it I like. v:shobon:v

I sometimes wonder if people just assume that "Resurrection", "Revelation", "Earthshock" and "Attack of the Cybermen" must be good because they have the Daleks and the Cybermen in them?

(Not suggesting this is your view; it's just the discussion made me think.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I quite enjoy how in "Attack of the Cybermen" the Cyber-Leader continues to proclaim things "EXCELLENT!" even as his schemes fall apart around him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
While all of "The Three Doctors" is great, I think my new favourite line is, "Are you sure that you and he are of the same intelligence?"

Honestly, Omega getting progressively more pissed off at the Doctors' antics is brilliant.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Heh. That grin he did over the top of the control panel was pure Tom Baker. :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cargohills posted:

That wouldn't happen, given that the show is called "Doctor Who" and he is the main character.

They would retitle it. It would be about the adventures of a new Time Lord called Lewis.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rat Flavoured Rats posted:

Basically over a long enough time-span every British actor will be on Doctor Who at some point.

I remember hearing it was "every English actor inevitably appears on The Bill and every Scottish actors inevitably appears on Taggart", but I've also heard that David Tennant auditioned for a part on Taggart something like four or five times and still never made it on. :D

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 13, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I had a weird dream the other night where RTD never left and the Doctor was being played by Zoe Ball for some reason.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Space truckin' takes it's toll.

Normally it just makes you marry a woman half your age, dress up like Robin Hood and start performing Renaissance folk music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Though one thing that's confused me for years is it sounds like the Master shows up as Saxon and says "i'm running for PM!" Which you can't really do in a parliamentary system. He'd need to be first join a party, then be elected head of that party, then that party had to win a majority of seats in parliament. I guess he could start his own party, but its never said in script.

Since I was an A-level politics student (i.e. a complete twunt) at the time, that irritated me more than it should have. You can excuse it with mind control, and maybe consider the context (I may have my dates wrong but I believe there was a lot of whinging about Gordon Brown being an "unelected prime minister" in the press around the time).

Still not as bothersome as Not George Bush being called "President-elect" because RTD apparently didn't bother looking up what that term actually means.

• Locked thread