Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Tarquinn posted:

Explain, please.

david cameron hosed a dead pig.

no joke.

or possibly just tea bagged it (the source of the story just says 'private parts' into the pig's mouth). when he was at oxford. at a party where that sort of debauchery happened amongst the toff students. this has been said in an unauthorised biography by someone from his own party who's thrown a massive strop because donating millions didn't buy him the government position he wanted.
but can't get all that nuance to fit the 'bring the prime minister down with six words' thing.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

phil collins is poo poo

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

think that was pretty tedious. about the same as last week.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

i'm thinking as a one off experiment they should structure an episode now in the stye of a sketch show with unrelated two or three minute scenes to chuck out all their fun ideas without bothering with hour long plot to force them to try to hang together.
would mean things like the tone shift whiplash from the chair joke wouldn't matter. and you wouldn't be thinking "is nothing actually coming from the airplane time-freeze thing".

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Tempo 119 posted:

IMO one good episode on its own makes a better year than one good episode that's buried in garbage

Reach for the stars

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

And More posted:

Series 1-4 just mostly look like trash.
Compared to other TV series of those years? Or compared to the show now?
Admittedly it's been at least a year since I watched 1&2 again but I recall them being pretty decent.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

I'm not so sure. Trying to fit around an established continuity is so limiting, and too easily slips into fanservice over anything new / imaginative.
Will wait and see.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

remember when tennant did something sonic to a pair of 3D specs? was amusing as a one note joke, but I think making these shades an ongoing thing is a bit tedious.

and it's a bit weird them being such an obvious identifiable brand. if the BBC did product placement you'd be rolling your eyes at how it's a bit much. tennant wore converse but they didnt' shove it in the audience's face so.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Shaft jokes aside, The Planet of the Daleks is really incredibly mediocre. I'm not going to go full out and say it's actually abysmal, but this is the daleks at their least threatening.

So what have we got?

• An early example of "more = more scary", what with the army of 10,000 daleks. This is sort of forgiveable given the lead in from Frontier in Space (which I watched recently, but not immediately before) but still feels gratuitous and piggybacking on a much better story is not exactly a plus point.
  • The Spiridons, who are invisible, are given massive fur coats so you can see them. Why massive fur coats? So that the Doctor and one of the thals can pretend to be Spiridons by hiding in a pair.
  • This plan of course fails pretty much immediately, but they get away with it because the dalek that notices shouts in panic about them not being Spiridons rather than, eg, telling them not to move or just shooting them. This gives the Doctor and the thal enough time to defeat the dalek by throwing the big furry coat over it.
  • Two Daleks are earlier defeated by pushing them into a lake so they will get chilly. This is achieved in two stages: first, they cover them in the furry coats (note that this is the Doctor and the thals doing this, not the invisible people) and then push them into the lake. The most danger anyone is in while assaulting these two battle tanks with a coat as your only weapon is that someone gets knocked over by one of the daleks' eye stalks flailing around.
  • It's mentioned that cold kills the daleks (which is why pushing them into the lake worked, it was, uh, a cold lake) and that's why there are big refrigeration units to keep the daleks cool rather than using the "Ice core of the planet" (which is why the lake is very cold) because that will make them too cold and kill them. But using the ice core for cooling is why the daleks are here in the first place, isn't it?
  • The Dalek army is engulfed by the ice volcano which, given the logic of the story and what we've been told, should kill them. But it doesn't, it just buries them in ice and they have to be dug out according to the Dalek giving the "Daleks are actually great buy some Dalek merchandise" speech at that end.

And that's just the last two episodes.

While the forums were down I also watched The Nightmare of Eden which is notable only to me as one of the Target books my local library had so whenever I see it I get a wave of nostalgia before the feelings of "this is a bit pants" set in.

Yeah but that ep 1 cliff hanger is classic. "What's this we've found on the Planet of the Daleks? gently caress me it's a Dalek!"

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

Didn't enjoy deaf girl and her keeper,

can't imagine why a cool guy like you has that avatar

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

So, interesting bit of gossip; Nine's inclusion in the 50th got as far as the story boarding phase for the entire episode, with The Moment being played by a young Amy - called Raggedy Girl, rather than a Bad Wolf possessed Rose.

Apparently the reason Christopher eventually left was because of budget problems with the 50th Anniversary changing plans and delaying the filming so he would've had to leave another project he'd already signed up for, otherwise he was perfectly happy to reprise his role.

Further to this at one point the 50th was going to be three episodes, ending with Day of the Doctor, but as it became obvious the show hadn't recovered from passed budget mistakes these three episodes became Name, Day and Time respectively - with Matt Smith's regeneration being forced into the last one due to Smith wanting out following the behind the scenes drama.

All of this comes from a storyboarding artist who recently published a book with some of the Ninth Doctor scenes from the 50th in it and has been appearing at conventions to promote it. He also story boarded for the shows Seventh series.

Here's some of the storyboards; http://imgur.com/a/IrsmU

nice dalek

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

(they shouldn't, there's no good writing material to be mined there).
exactly like every appearance of the angels after blink then?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

misadventurous posted:

Flesh and Stone/Time of Angels ruled though

They're not bad. But gain nothing by having brought back the Angels instead of showing something new. And suffers for all the out right contradictions and elements that just don't sit well with Blink. The Angels as a concept were interesting, but can't stand up to being mined for further content because actually they don't really make sense.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

"purple - the colour of death!"
"no, the light of immortality!"

who writes this poo poo?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know if I'm entirely sure about the argument that Britain is the only country that's not done anything about the refugees - not as much as we could be, certainly, but surely you would agree that the Hungarian government have had a worse response?

Well, in fairness, I suppose building a big fence to keep them out is doing something.

UK's done that too. On the other side of the tunnel. For relative values of 'big'.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

SiKboy posted:

They werent forced to assimilate by the evil nasty humans imposing terrible conditions. They negotiated a treaty that, as the "previously on" reiterated, was explicitly stated to be the fairest treaty possible, with neither side knowing which side they were negotiating for. So the message here is explicitly "They wont be satisfied with a fair compromise or keep their word even if we have come to an understanding".
stuff that just about works in the original context because you don't think about it too hard never leads to good sequels and should be left well enough alone.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Astroman posted:

I remember to this day the moment I found out a couple years ago that the "Celestial" Toymaker wasn't referring to some sort of Space Toymaker, but the Al Swearingen style name for Chinese, and that his Mandarin costume wasn't just a random costuming choice and I was like :aaaaa: "Wow, that is incredibly racist." :drat:

I had just never made the connection before, and now I can never unsee it.

i do like this last line on this bit in the tardis wiki. as close as you can fly to criticism on there

quote:

Within his realm, the Celestial Toyroom, the Toymaker commanded immense powers, but they were limited by the rules he set for any particular game, although he could bend these rules or "forget" to mention them to his opponents if he so chose. He himself was immortal and invulnerable, and appeared capable of space and time travel at will. For some reason he chose to appear in the guise of a middle-aged Caucasian human dressed as a Chinese mandarin.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 3, 2015

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

The Three Doctors is the best multi doctor serial the show has ever put out in my opinion.

Faint praise

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Cleretic posted:

It does so mostly by utilizing as much of time and space as possible, and not really giving a gently caress.

The latter yes, but not so much the former. As much of time and space as possible as long as it's 20th-21st century Earth.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

IceAgeComing posted:

but unless they move it to the Spring or change the day (which would be stupid, Doctor Who has always been a Saturday show)
except for the two episode a week Peter Davison era
series 19 was Mon & Tue
series 20 was Tue & Wed
series 21 was Thu & Fri

and in the McCoy era
series 24 was Mon
series 25 & 26 were Weds

and randomly the McGann special was a Tuesday

no idea what my point was supposed to be, but now i've checked that it feels a waste not to post

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Osgood right at he end still refused to tell the Doctor if she'd been the human or zygon one all along. But then another Osgood arrives and says there was a vacancy to fill. Congratulations, we don't know which of you two is which but you've just given away the answer to who was around for the last 2 weeks (the human cos zygon was dead, this would be stupid and pointless if you were both zygon now).

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

One was a zygon, got what he deserved

Sucks to be a UNIT pilot / co-pilot

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

CaptainYesterday posted:

This year's Christmas special will be shown in US cinemas on the 28th and 29th of December. I still don't get why they do it this way - I'd be more inclined to go if I hadn't seen the episode days earlier, and in the comforts of my home with a pause and rewind button.

People planning on going to the cinema screening will just do something else on xmas day.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Then you find something! I'm at work, I shouldn't even BE on this forum right now!

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Mr Beens posted:

I enjoyed that. Not sure what happened at the end though.

they ran out of script and just stopped

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The whole episode had a cheap late-90s US sci-fi look to it,
this plus when the Doctor was saying that none of what happened made sense but for dramatic effect made me think we were about to find out they were trapped in some game show type experience.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Gatiss has said he has a sequel planned for Sleep No More.

bit presumptuous that is

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The whole point of the ending is the baddie wins and The Doctor just has to bail on the whole thing. Granted the execution leaves alot to be desired but 'The Doctor [techs] something and the crisis is averted really misses the point of the episode's whole found-footage horror schtick

maybe would've worked better if they hadn't impressed on us so strongly that the possibility of the doctor failing would be the mass wipe out of the human race.
it leaves everyone thinking that there must be a bit more to come, or they've missed something. because the show isn't really going to do extinction.
if the stakes had been less melodramatic then the baddies getting away wouldn't be such a big deal.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

You might as well ask for Marvel and DC to concentrate their output on inventive new comics instead of Batman punching the Joker for the thousandth time. It's what the nerd fans want, and that's the only people buying these things. We can cherish the diamonds in the poo poo but the you'll always have the poo poo to sift through.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Why the hell not, the Shrouded Corpse probably wasn't bothered!

Edit: In all seriousness, he probably found a blanket or a sheet or curtain somewhere in the castle and wrapped that around himself.

Or just waited next to the roaring fire for a bit while his clothes dried enough to be wearable.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Why assume that Eleven knew all along?
he can count to 12?

quote:

He clearly thinks that he might be able to regenerate in Let's Kill Hitler.

I figure that even after TenToo and Ten's explosive regeneration, the Doctor probably enough juice to cheat out one more regeneration, just BARELY, but he didn't do the math and spent that energy on healing River, etc., and went below the "regeneration threshold" and didn't realize until some time on Trenzalore.

or it's just a continuity error because Moffat hadn't decided that either the War Doctor existed or Tennant's fake out had actually counted yet.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

remusclaw posted:

I don't thinks is that weird, its one of the few concrete things we learned about the Doctor and the Time Lords. It makes him mortal and therefore it makes each incremental regeneration more dramatic as it ticks down to his last chance. Shame it had to be rushed, had a lot of dramatic potential if given the proper build. I mean, you know he was going to cheat it somehow, but there is drama in the build, and we missed out on that because someone wanted to rush it.

the only two times it's come up for the Doctor in story arcs - under Holmes and Moffat - there's been unknown previous generations inserted to the doctor's past. that seem's pretty much the opposite of concrete to me.
and the Master's been explicitly given new regenerations twice.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Davros1 posted:

In a recent DWM, in their "The Fact of Fiction" on "Rose" they asked RTD about it, and he said no, Ninth hadn't just regeneration. He posited does Nine behave like a Doctor who's freshly regenerated? He's not manic, confused. He's fully formed. Plus, later on, we see evidence of his adventures pre-"Rose" (The JFK assassination, The Titanic, etc.)

they're pre-Rose from Clive's perspective in a linear view of Earth's history, but I always thought it was implied that they take place later in the Doctor's own timeline with Rose probably taking the photos.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Four and a half billion years isn't close to being "near the end of the universe" :mad:

Also having the time spent in the dial be actual literal time outside the dial is an odd decision

i don't think that was what was meant.
didn't the karn sister say "we think" at the 4.5 billion figure? if that much real time had actually passed from the events on Trap St to now they should know, even if presumably they've not sat through them themselves.
wasn't it that whether the doctor had spent a week inside, told them the answer and been let out straight away, or he'd stayed in a loop trying to break out the dial was linked to that point on galifrey and would always have put him there?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Crusader posted:

Yeah, the Mire appeared to be something of a joke race, so it's strange one of their standard medpacks allows someone to last forever.

and there's not a million Mire hanging out with Ashilder at the End of Time (again)

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

See that's what I thought last week but dialogue this week implied the opposite
with two contradictory explanations presented, i'll chose to ignore the nonsensical & overly melodramatic version that actually probably is what Moffat loving meant isn't it.

when Ashilder brought back the TV movie and started asking if the Doctor was half human I did think we were going to find out that either one of the immortal human women were destined to become his mother. the two of them ending the episode by going back to Gallifrey, but not straight back to Clara's death, does leave that opportunity open for another episode.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

Wait, I don't remember Missy causing Clara and the Doctor to meet. Is that what happened?

Clara met the Doctor by phoning the Tardis thinking it was a tech support line for her broadband. She was given the number by "the woman in the shop" and it was a bit of a mystery who that was until the show just forgot about it for a few years. until today.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

thepokey posted:

I never got the feeling at any point this season that Danny was ever going to get mentioned again. Clara seemed to just completely forget about him.

he was mentioned two weeks ago. clara telling herself to face death bravely like Danny Pink did. and it is a bit weird that she refers to her dead bf by his full name like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

And More posted:

In his defense, Moffat had already used up his best idea for a time lord regenerating into a time lady in The Curse of Fatal Death. What was he supposed to do?

It's apparently a normal thing in time lord society for regenerations to switch gender so the two characters could've just treated it as unremarkable instead of a great big knowing wink to the audience in the form of stilted dialogue.

• Locked thread