Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I'm really hoping that this isn't another series long thing about how "The Doctor is going to die"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Dabir posted:

That was pretty fun but when it finished I was left with the sense that maybe ten minutes of episode had actually happened.

Yeah this is like the opposite of half the episodes where I was thinking "drat I wish this was a two parter".

This one I was thinking "This better be a two parter because nothing seems to have happened."

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Yeah it's sort of silly when a character will have been killed and been brought back to life 3 times in as many consecutive episodes.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Megaspel posted:

He made the choice to give them the energy, knowing it would unleash a zombie horde. Is the Doctor the Judge and Executioner suddenly?

Why did he touch the cables instead of just poking Davros with his magical healing hand or whatever?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I'm confused.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I finally started to read The Writers Tale and it's insane how many of RTD's ideas were just pulled completely out of the blue in five seconds flat.

Also it's made me like the guy a lot more and realize how much stuff that people didn't like was down to budget.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I just had this sudden longing to see Danny Pink again.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Someone in this thread just won a bet.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Immortality, but a "mortal" memory is a horrible curse.

Williams is killing it in the portrayal, but that's no great surprise.

It's reminding me of Christian Bale in Equilbrium where I can't tell if the actress is doing a really good job of having no emotions because she's 800 years old, or if she's just really dull.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

FiftySeven posted:

Urgh, that episode really didnt hit home for me at all. Maisie Williams just didnt suit the character she was trying to play and the only bits I felt sold on in the episode were when she was begging the doctor to take her with him (It didnt feel like he had any reason not to) and when Sam Swift was punning with the Doctor at the gallows. What a waste.

Yeah I just felt really bored during most of that episode, it's almost like I was sedated or something.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

chaos rhames posted:

Did I miss something when Lady Me said "who would believe that a woman changed the tide of the Hundred Years War?" Because I'm pretty sure that's the one with Joan of Arc.

Yeah I couldn't tell if it was a joke or if she was meant to be Joan of Arc within the continuity of the show or what.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

misadventurous posted:

Of course it doesn't make any sense.

Also were the Zygons immune to bullets or something?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Nice cliffhanger into...another cliffhanger.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I get the feeling Clara is meant to be special.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

This bit is actually pretty good.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I forgot what the buttons even do.

Edit: Oh.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Shame about all those people that got murdered last episode.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

2house2fly posted:

I thought that was an okay two-parter in all, with some stupid bits, the standout for me being that Kate survived by just... shooting the zygon. imo they should at least have had a line acknowledging how flat that is, like "it expected me to believe they killed everyone except this one policewoman and vanished, I was ready for it the whole time" or whatever to make Kate seem less dumb for being taken in in the first place.

The Doctor's big speech definitely missed the mark for me, very much a middle class British man's perspective on war and terrorism. Maybe he is kind of an officer after all!

Why did no one else try shooting a Zygon in the first episode then? Seemed to work perfectly fine in this one.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Did they not have a "Last time on Doctor Who" thing for this? Since it feels like that might be a little bit helpful, especially since I forgot why he even got sent here.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Capaldi dying sounds a lot like Alan Rickman.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

IceAgeComing posted:

I have a terrible theory about the cliffhanger, and I thought that I'd share it with yous all

its "The hybrid is Me!", not "The hybrid is me!"; if you catch my drift. She's in the thing next week after all. Its terrible word play, but something that I could imagine Doctor Who doing

:barf: I don't like how plausible this sounds.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Alright, so the second clone of the Doctor walks in with wet clothes. He sees a dry version of his clothes laid out. He takes off his wet clothes, puts on the dry ones, leaves wet clothes to dry.

Third clone walks in, does the same thing. Fourth clone, etc.

But what about that first iteration of the Doctor? Did he lay down his wet clothes, then proceed to do the rest of the diamond punching tower tour buck rear end naked?

I'm sort of happy I looked away for the 20 seconds this happened since I assumed he just dried his clothes by the fire or something.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I miss Timothy Dalton and I also miss something else.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I like this less than the End of Time, I'm aware this is something I probably can't take back.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I'm still wondering what someone who hasn't watched Doctor Who for a while (or ever) thinks of this episode.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Corbae posted:

So she's not dead, he's just forgotten her now??

Well you see it's like death.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Jesus loving christ the next time trailer.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

It felt like I was watching some parody of a comic book. I was half expecting a little box to show up in the corner when they mentioned knocking four times that said "First mentioned in 4.15 (Planet of the Dead) and resolved in 4.18 (The End of Time)!"

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

The main thing I took away from this season is that I can't trust Moffat on death ever again unless an episode actually ends with Moffat, Capaldi and a team of lawyers sitting there with an enormous contract saying that the character won't return ever again, except in flashbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

CobiWann posted:

Guys, I have a concern.

I think Season 4 is better than Season 5.

...I agree.

• Locked thread