Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

meatpimp posted:

Even pedestrian cars. It took them 3 tries to get a close-enough mix of BMW Alpine White. That said, at least they did keep trying.

Now imagine how bad it sucks painting at a bodyshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Dumb question - why hasn't anyone made a flatplane kit for something like the LS motor.
I know people spend money on crazy poo poo so a crank, cam, and firing order change in an ECU isn't out of the realm of possibility.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
loving. Awesome.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kimbo305 posted:

Read the manual looking for a possible fuse issue to explain the off head-unit. Fuse #4 in the passenger footwell fusebox is supposed to handle the radio and door locking. But my door locking works?

Anyways, I'm still blown away at how they pulled out all the stops for technical drawings in the manual. Looking at these just makes me go "good loving god."

Try to figure out the gearbox between the motor and the clutch puzzle with these:

Italy loves that poo poo, my Aprilia stuff is the same. Blows my mind sometimes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't know about a stock 911, but the turbo spool is pretty evident even in something as new as a 997.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Seems like an Italian thing -- Ducatis are the same way. Aprilia, too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kimbo305 posted:

Lotus 7 clones:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262849953648
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Westfield-Lotus-Super-7-Series-3-/162268770684
I'm still pretty intrigued by these, but cars without federal VINs and without basic Mass state inspection items (wipers and sprayers) are gonna be that much trickier to register for normal street use.
Hilariously, the rotary up there has a manual wiper feature that I'm sure I could rig a spray bottle up to.
I didn't realize I could literally buy a rocket powered coffin for 18k.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It would be easier to run a stock ECU out of a car that runs that motor and has the ECU open so you can force OBD sensors as ready.

In the BMW world this is how catless cars pass OBD only tests. Forced readyness.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Ah, ok. I'm pretty sure we don't have that in the UK, at least I've never heard of it.

I figured you guys just stuck a probe up the tailpipe like a normal person. Does every car, even kit cars/home-built vehicles really need an OBD port?

In Arizona we have two lines at the emissions stations.
One for pre-96 cars - These go on the rollers, have the gas cap checked for leakage, and are generally inspected for emissions components such as the charcoal canister.
One for 96+ cars - These have an OBD reader plugged in and are automatically passed if all of the emissions devices come back ready (I think there is a grace for a some that are not ready) and they test the gas cap.
Cars with collectors car plates and motorcycles are exempt.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kimbo305 posted:

Saw a cheap salvage Elise for sale, and the dealer was being typically sleazy/evasive about what had happened to it (repaint from keying!).
Here's what really happened: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231/thread-all-wrecked-lotus-cars-please-reply-vin-any-links-more-info-67166/index2.html#post1401741

The pictures in that thread make me reevaluate buying one of those. Seems like they don't take impacts well at all.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fknlo posted:

One huge reason why I pretty much immediately ruled out an Exige/Elise when I was shopping is because of the clamshells. Car gets totaled if someone as much as looks at it wrong.

Guinness posted:

Not only that, but those clamshells are $$$$$$.

I don't give a poo poo about totalled, I give a poo poo about being dead since it was one of the reasons I switched to cars from motorcycles.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bibendum posted:

Yeah, I've seen some that have taken serious hits but never one with bad intrusion into the occupant tub itself. Salvage prices have actually been going up for them since aftermarket clamshells became available. When you could only get one by paying Lotus 11k even entirely superficial wrecks were selling for under 15k.

Click the thread above and scroll a little bit :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Arizona peaks out at 75mph, but 85+ anywhere is criminal speeding. I got two when I was younger and was putting 2-3k miles on motorcycles a month. I think they ended up costing me around $750 a pop.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

everdave posted:

That is b/c Lexus. Toyota came out swinging and literally made the best quality car in the world with the LS (really don't argue). I worked for a Lexus dealer in the 90's getting in a 400k mile traveling salesman's LS you didn't know it til the sweep gauges went off and the ODO showed. Instead of marketing or gimmicks they made the highest quality poo poo. And the domestics were left scratching their asses.

I wish Toyota from the 90's to about 05 still made cars.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Fermented Tinal posted:

For me, Toyota stopped selling great vehicles in North America in 1995, but I'm crazy.

While I tend to agree with you, I have a couple cars that existed after 95 that were typical Toyota tank great:
FZJ80 Land Cruiser / LX450
FZJ100 Land Cruiser / LX470
IS300
GS300 / GS400
LS430

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
NSX prices are already going to the moon :(

I think older BMW prices are about to take another jump, also.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Imported Euro E36 M3s with the proper motor, on the other hand...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What is his username?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

YEAHHH, that dude is living the loving dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's pretty hosed up.

• Locked thread