Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

ProfessorProf posted:

ANYWAY, this marks the actual end of the Undertale LP. Thanks for reading. I'm finally free to start planning my next LP
Aren't you excited?

Aren't you happy?

You're finally going to be free.

...what I took away from this last update is that Toby Fox designed the game to have built in Creepy Pasta. Man knew his audience, that's for drat sure. Thanks for the LP, Prof. Without it I might never have played it for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
I figured a lot of the Genocide run was also basically inbuilt creepypasta. Especially the very end of it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Before we get this all wrapped up, and since all the characters have been posted and expanded on to be relevant, there's two more Undertale related things that aren't actually part of the game which you should check out.

First of all there's Opaopa13's Sans Diary CYOA which is a confusing, yet fun, CYOA book that is actually Sans' diary. Each time you read through it, you change the steps that were taken up until the point that you pick up the book. There's the usual storylines, but you can also have some fun outside the normal bounds of it once you complete the main story once. There are 3 endings: The normal "end" of the book, and two other secret ones.

Then there's One by One, possibly the only good FanFiction to have ever been written. This was posted without credit in the Undertale thread until it was wrapped up in its epilogue, afterward the OP Oxxidation admitted to being the author. It starts off really strong and carries through all 8 of its chapters, and gets its characterization pretty spot on (although I feel like Frisk gets a bit too talky after a while).

Those are the two big and important fanworks I can think of, but for anybody that wants to see more fun fanworks, you're officially beyond being spoiled by anything, so head on over to the Main Undertale Thread in Games.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Welp, now that the FUN cat is out of the bag, I'd like to refer to the following

RabidWeasel posted:

Well, it's kind of cheating since they're basically 2 different characters. It's not "now I accept the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP" but "I had my sociopathy healed from gaining a soul, completely changing my personality, and now I feel bad". Flowey got to see how much everyone cared about Frisk / each other and he just doubled down on being a nihilistic rear end because he was physically incapable of doing anything else.

Also going back to pre-ending stuff, I really want to know more Alphys' predecessor, who presumably designed the weird machine in the lab. That seems like something which was conspicuously not mentioned so either it's only supposed to be implied or it's going to be genocide run material.

McDragon posted:

Sans and Papyrus should have a huge cousin called Impact. And one called Wingdings who nobody can understand.

You guys were more right than you knew :V

Also, here's the secret boss that everyone deliberately ignored forgot about. I believe it was the 1000$ backer reward.

I think there's a few neutral endings that never got transcribed, someone's mapped them out here, and finally, every Papyrus/Undyne phone call.'

Thanks Prof for making a baller LP.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
It's widely speculated that "W. D. Gaster" expands to "Win Din Gaster", making his name a combination of Wingdings and Aster.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
Thanks for doing all of this! But, even though the puzzle was a fun little thing, I do think that at some point you should put the Gaster stuff in a post. If not for the clever posters, then for archive readers that won't have this thread to help them.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Fates End posted:

Thanks for doing all of this! But, even though the puzzle was a fun little thing, I do think that at some point you should put the Gaster stuff in a post. If not for the clever posters, then for archive readers that won't have this thread to help them.

I plan to! I mostly did it as something for a fun last group thread activity. There'll be an easier way to access the new content for the LP Archive.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ProfessorProf posted:

It's widely speculated that "W. D. Gaster" expands to "Win Din Gaster", making his name a combination of Wingdings and Aster.

And if I recall there's one place in the entire game that uses what is probably the Aster font:

Also, Sans' fuckoff laser skulls are called gasterblasters in the sprite data

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

YggiDee posted:

And if I recall there's one place in the entire game that uses what is probably the Aster font:

The one time his text has serifs. :v:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Rather Watch Them posted:

The one time his text has serifs. :v:

I choose to believe he normally speaks with serifs and only consciously uses sans-serif to be more like his cool brother.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I figure it's what font Gaster spoke in before he fell into whatever the heck he fell into. The Core? The weird busted machine in Sans' shed?

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Um, do you mind if I ask why I'm not credited here? I did write the thing. I'm guessing you lost track of who wrote what there?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

dancingbears posted:

Um, do you mind if I ask why I'm not credited here? I did write the thing. I'm guessing you lost track of who wrote what there?

whoops

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Thanks so much for this LP, Prof! Thanks to your passion for the game I was inspired to buy and play it myself real early on, avoid spoilers, and watch this whole crazy thing unfold. :)

And then infect others, too! I'm sure a lot of buzz around this game is your direct or indirect doing.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Also I made a couple of fuckups in my neutral Unydne kill post, here's a fixed version.

But yeah, thanks for the LP. It's been a hell of a ride.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Thanks again for the cool LP.

Thanks again for Papyrus being why I bought the game.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Thanks for the LP, Prof! Glad I was able to contribute, at least a little.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
:neckbeard: I came late to the thread but it was a superb ride all the way through. I'm also quite impressed at your work in making the LP in screenshot and forum form try to follow the path of a player through it.

e: cheers

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 9, 2015

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for playing through all of this for us, Prof, and everyone else who contributed!

While this LP didn't inspire me to buy Undertale, it did serve to show off all the neat (and horrible) things that were put in this game that my own approach to playing it never allowed me to see. As a pacifist runner who put the game down the moment I figured this is as good as it gets, knowing all the what-might-have-beens has been a bit of a guilty pleasure, but I certainly don't regret vicariously experiencing them in all their great and terrible glory. I don't think I would have ever been quite satisfied without something like this LP filling me in, particularly as the internet has shown itself chock full of neat Undertale fan material, and now I can finally, finally bring myself to go hunt more of it down.

Suggestions, anyone?

P.S.

I recently offered a brief poem to go with gift versions of Undertale to two of my friends. It went something like this:

A game for you to play as well,
The path that's true, I'll never tell.
This golden cue is your best bet,
That what you do, is what you get.

One of said friends tried the game and responded along the lines of: 'Oho, I see, they don't die, just leech XP. I guess this is some sort of goody-two-shoes game. Not quite my thing, but it looks neat so I'll probably finish it.'

It confused me at the time, but having read fractalairduct's contribution, I think he must've arrived at Napstablook, tried killing it to get it out of the way, didn't quite pay attention and drew all the wrong best conclusions from that battle/my poem. I'm kind of looking forward to hearing from him on how his run progresses from here.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Thanks for the LP and for showing off a great game! You did a real great job with that!

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

There's a few things Prof passed over in Snowdin and the snow fields. Things like repeatedly heckling Snowdrake.

Jesus Christ, what the gently caress?! What the gently caress. Why would you ever say that.

We win.

Well, after you heckle away or kill Snowdrake, you can encounter a new monster in the area.

Chilldrake is a rude, rebellious monster who has the same attacks as Snowdrake, but is otherwise very different.

Let's see what the dialogue box says!

* It smells like "Ice" scented body-spray.
* Chilldrake is chanting an anarchist spell.
* Chilldrake is wondering where Snowy went.
* Chilldrake starts a one-monster riot.

And what does he say when he attacks?

"NEVER do your homework!!"
"*turns music up all the way*"
"No bedtime! Only DEADTIME"
"Brush my teeth? No way in heck!"

Our ACT options are CHECK, AGREE, CLASH, and JOKE. Let's CLASH, Chilldrake.

No dice. Let's tell him a JOKE.

No, that's not what I--

...Well. Let's wait for him to say something infantile and rebellious and then AGREE with him.

And then we can SPARE him.

That dog considers itself an artist, but doesn't ever know what to create.
It probably doesn't help that its brain is the size of a piece of kibble.

If you don't hyperstimulate Lesser Dog, this happens.

Prof pet Doggo after using the Stick on him; if he hadn't, Doggo would say:

A stick appeared out of nowhere, then disappeared.
Was it a ghost stick?
Did I just return it to the afterlife?
I need some dog treats to think about this.

...What happens when we DECORATE Gyftrot?

Heh heh heh. Let's DECORATE him again.

Oh, awesome, I caught a picture of Gyftrot blinking its antlers!

And, of course, if you kill Dogaressa before Dogamy...

You break Dogamy's spirit. His only attack now is spitting a single heart bullet, which floats to the ground, sadly.

Let's check out Snowdin in a genocide run, but before we clear the area of monsters. Some monsters don't say anything different; we'll skip them.

Don't know why, but it's sending shivers down my spine...

Ah, it's so peaceful and quiet...
Usually one of those dogs chases my little Cinnamon around.

You know what's cute?
Those two married dogs always put presents under the tree for each other.
It's always the same. A single bone.
But every time, they act like it's the first time they've gotten it.
Then Papyrus comes to take his bones back.
Anyway, where are those two...?

It just feels like... Like everything is getting worse and worse.

I've sent the kids inside.
It feels unsafe here today.

It's s-s-so quiet in here.
L-lighten up everybody! This is why I hate th-this place.

The capital's getting pretty crowded, so I've heard they're going to start moving here.
... who knows. Maybe we'll have room.

Those dogs are part of the ROYAL GUARD, the...
Huh? Where are they?
Something feels really off.

You call that depressing?! Ha! What happens if you kill Doggo and Greater Dog, but leave Dogamy and Dogaressa alive?

This isn't mine, but it shows what happens if you kill Greater Dog and the Dogi, but not Doggo.

And if you kill Doggo and the Dogi, but not Greater Dog (again, not mine)?

When Doggo doesn't make it:

We put Greater Dog to sleep:

The Dog Couple is brutally murdered:

I kill all the monsters in the area and confront Papyrus.

By 'confront', I mean 'hug'. Great big hug. Tears may have been involved.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Motherf...SANS! You took the words I was going to say to ProfessorProf out of my mouth! I can't believe you!

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Thanks for the fantastic LP Prof.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Can't recall, has anyone shown off the Wrong Number phonecall that (apparently very rarely) occurs in Snowdin?

I got it the very first time I played, when I had killed Toriel not knowing that I could have spared her. It was the first time the cell phone had gone off since Toriel was alive. :smith:

Some stuff about her house changes, too. Her oven gets a different description if she's dead, though I don't know what else is different.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

ProfessorProf posted:

At this point, post whatever you want.

For actually encountering Fun things, I think you need to capitalize Fun, set the Fun value to X, then set line... 37? of file0 to X. The titles of the videos in the trail show the Fun/Room values for each encounter, some of them have a random chance to appear or not appear.

I think it's the 36th line. 35th if you don't count your name.

It should start as the same value as whatever your Fun did before you edited it, so it's not hard to find.

EDIT: You mean, this phone call?

?: Hello! Can I speak to G…
? ...
? Wait a second. Is this the wrong number?

A jangly tune plays.

?: Oh it’s the wrong number! The wrong number song!
?: We’re very very sorry that we got it wrong!
?: Oh it’s the wrong number! The wrong number song!
?: We’re very very sorry that we got it wrong!
(Click)

There are apparently a couple of other phone calls you can get here, if your Fun value is higher. I've only ever seen this one.

While I'm here, here's some more Fun stuff.

?: I’m visiting Waterfall from the city.
?: Synchronicity…? My neighbour’s daughter looks about your age.
?: Her name is “Suzy.” I feel like you two should be friends.
?: You have… a neighbour’s blessing!!!
?: Not knowing where I live is no issue. Fate finds a way.

This video's not mine, but it shows how to find Gaster's Theme.

fractalairduct fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 8, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Can't recall, has anyone shown off the Wrong Number phonecall that (apparently very rarely) occurs in Snowdin?

I got it the very first time I played, when I had killed Toriel not knowing that I could have spared her. It was the first time the cell phone had gone off since Toriel was alive. :smith:

Some stuff about her house changes, too. Her oven gets a different description if she's dead, though I don't know what else is different.

Apparently there's a chance you can get a phonecall of someone ordering a pizza but getting the wrong number (fairly sure it's supposed to be Alphys), instead of the wrong number song. The wrong number song also starts off with someone going "Can I speak to G..."

"G", huh? :tinfoil:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
The wrong number song only happens up by the riverperson dropoff point at the earliest time. The other phonecall happens in the area where Sans' guard station is (I think? I already forgot), and varies between Sans pranking you, and Alphys trying to order a pizza and messing up the order.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I can confirm the G wrong number call the first time at the ferry point and the Sans prank call on the screen after you meet him, both calls happening on the same playthrough. Never heard of the pizza call before now

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Great LP, ProfessorProf. I'm glad such an excellent game got as much attention and care as it did here.

Also, :shittydog: being Gaster is my headcanon and nothing's changing that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Really thank you for the wonderful narrative LP, Frisk.

Though it did get kind of dark half-way through... I hope everything's okay with you.

However, I will forever curse you for making the worst choice.

Oh my god??? Mods can we ban this guy??????

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

dancingbears posted:

Motherf...SANS! You took the words I was going to say to ProfessorProf out of my mouth! I can't believe you!

Same here. Many thanks to Prof for showcasing this excellent game.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Thank you for the LP, and putting the Fun stuff behind a pretty decent treasure hunt. Little stuff like that 're just great.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Oh so, here's something

Does the Mad Dummy say anything in response if you get hit by the knife he throws?

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Macaluso posted:

Oh so, here's something

Does the Mad Dummy say anything in response if you get hit by the knife he throws?

No.

He does have a unique reaction and dialogue if you attack him, though.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Dio plays Undertale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo0tLK3SKPE

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Also, there's a fourth way to deal with the dummy in the ruins.

: ... you ran away...

: Truthfully, that was not a a poor choice.

: It is better to avoid conflict whenever possible.

: That... however, is only a dummy. It cannot harm you.

: It is made of cotton. It has no desire for revenge...

: Nevermind. Stay close to me and I will keep you safe.

(Bonus: note there is functionally no limit to what you can edit your name to.)

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

Robust Laser posted:

Pretty sure they beat you to it.

Nah, if you accept the friend request, it rejects itself. But if you reject it, Mettaton sends you a mortal enemy request. If you accept that, Papyrus posts a message congratulating you and wishing you a long and horrible rivalry. If you reject the enemy request, Mettaton sends you an invitation to die. He still cares about his cousin after all. :3:

I just asked if anyone had done it because screenshots would have communicated it better, but I didn't want to go to the trouble of getting them. v:v:v

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

The Sezza posted:

Nah, if you accept the friend request, it rejects itself. But if you reject it, Mettaton sends you a mortal enemy request. If you accept that, Papyrus posts a message congratulating you and wishing you a long and horrible rivalry. If you reject the enemy request, Mettaton sends you an invitation to die. He still cares about his cousin after all. :3:

I just asked if anyone had done it because screenshots would have communicated it better, but I didn't want to go to the trouble of getting them. v:v:v

No, that doesn't happen. Napstablook auto-rejects either way, the other stuff you saw was photoshopped. There is a lot of faked content floating around already.
...This is probably why Prof demanded we use our own screenshots :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Also, there's a fourth way to deal with the dummy in the ruins.

Let's be honest here, if I were an ambiguously-aged-but-still-definitely-young child who had just taken a long fall, been nearly murdered by a flower, and rescued by a monstrous looking goat woman only to be taken into some dilapidated-rear end ruins, I'd run from the cotton and cloth too.

Frisk got a pretty lovely lot didn't they :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

YggiDee posted:

No, that doesn't happen. Napstablook auto-rejects either way, the other stuff you saw was photoshopped. There is a lot of faked content floating around already.
...This is probably why Prof demanded we use our own screenshots :v:

Ohhh. Okay, I know what's going on now. I did hear about it second-hand so I didn't see it myself, but the stuff I said is actually in the game's source files. I checked the big rip of all the text and it was there, but I guess it just wasn't actually used in-game. I just assumed it was cause it was exactly the kind of thing I expected would have happened. I have been semi-japed. My apologies.

• Locked thread