Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

What are the odds on one of the Devil Fruit-less OG Straw Hats getting one before the series ends? It's something I've wanted to see for a long time, and it was sort of foreshadowed in Enies Lobby with Kaku and Jabra. Did Oda ever rule this out in an SBS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

RatHat posted:

I could see Usopp getting a really lovely one that he has to be super creative to effectively use.

Exactly, Usopp lucking into an ability which has nothing to do with sniping (and is also kind of humiliating) seems just right. And then he uses it in a one-on-one in some ludicrous fashion to tip the scales and absolutely bury someone.

For such a huge part of the OP world, I can't remember ever really seeing a user puzzling out and developing the abilities of their Fruits. The Gears are all developed off-camera, and up until the Gear Fourth homing pinch they've basically just been ways to hit people harder.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Cat Machine posted:

It really pisses me off to no end that Sabo could do all of Ace's moves within like ten seconds of eating the Mera Mera

Especially since he only remembered who Ace was after reading about Ace's death at Marineford. So [edit]presumably[/edit] he knew the name and method of Ace's signature attack without ever actually seeing it :shrug:

Kaku pretending to love his lovely fruit to save face is a great moment, but we still don't really see much of the learning process. I want to see Usopp freaking out because he keeps accidentally turning parts of himself into pastry or whatever

Wachter fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 15, 2018

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Ace was a famous pirate whose signature move was in his name

So Sabo knew of Ace, but just forgot their childhood together until he learned of Ace's death? I think I may have misread that scene.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Man with Hat posted:

He might have caught up a bit in the time between remembering his past and eating the fruit too. It had been two years, after all.

poo poo, Robin might have told him a bunch since she presumably heard about the guy sinking 5 of their ships when she was second in command for BW.

There are also probably a bunch of people in the Revolutionaries who know a lot about famous strong people and Sabo just didn't care before remembering Ace.

That's true. Replicating a move near-perfectly from hearsay is also typical OP "whoa look how powerful this guy is"

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Yeah that makes sense. He's like an anti-Luffy in a lot of ways, and building up a super powerful crew to gank the Straw Hats just before Raftel is almost completely contrary to Luffy's "strategy" so far

That Absalom/Shiryu reveal is crazy. When they finally do show, Blackbeard's crew is going to be ludicrously strong. Some of the abilities of the "joke" DF users would be terrifying in more competent hands.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

scary ghost dog posted:

ya suddenly im worried about what foxy is up to

:stare::hf:

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

oddium posted:

nakama is worse than shichibukai/yonko but not as bad as tenryubito, none of which are as bad as “kumasy”

...Seven Gods of Pirate
Tanjiando Lofulamingo Sama
as well as
Bisoromi Bear Sama

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Holy poo poo

~Wan Pīsu~

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

DizzyBum posted:

Since we're on the subject, one of the most accidentally funny anime moments is when they attempted to animate Doflamingo's awkward stride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K_GcptI2z0

It's astonishing that people were paid for that

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Hot take: it's Bentham

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Random theory; few characters use guns to much effectiveness compared to swords and other weapons mostly because while people have had lots of time to master making and using swords, firearms are still in their relative infancy. (there was a revolver, though given its user was using it with their Devil Fruit power it's probably still really hard to get ammunition for it on the Grand Line)

Guns have kind of a weird role in One Piece. They're used to signify contempt and dishonour. When the Blackbeard Pirates finally kill Whitebeard, they do it with pistols, even though they have far more powerful attacks at their disposal, and Whitebeard has just shrugged off multiple cannonball impacts. Doflamingo uses one in Dressrosa, even though he has attacks that can cause levels of damage akin to natural disasters.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

- Tanjiando Lofulamingo-sama
- Bisoromi Bear-sama

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Genes, genes, and nanomachines

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

It's actually Bon Clay and Baroque Works are behind everything

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

You can still VPN around it, right? I only just heard of this and poo poo yeah I want all of One Piece for $2/month

Is this the first time we've seen Roger's Black Blade?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I'm not buying Luffy as the subject of any prophecy. If the Ds have a role to play, it'll be as blunt objects to completely gently caress up the status quo so that Vivi and Shirahoshi can take over.

Meanwhile I'm getting Pepe Silvia style brainworms trying to puzzle out the Blackbeard thing. I'm coming around to the Cerberus theory but it still doesn't explain how he was able to get Whitebeard's fruit!!!

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Maybe Moria will reanimate Jimmys body and finally exact his revenge on the beast pirates

Moria's dead and Blackbeard's got his fruit

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I read that innocents will be randomly ganked unless Oden bends the knee. At this point in time, Oden and his crew are too popular/tough to threaten directly

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The BB pirates all* having fruits we've already seen before is totally going to be a thing

*fox woman excepted

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Darth Walrus posted:

What I find interesting is that this is the second time we've seen him get serious by entering his oni form. Definitely suspecting that that's his fruit power, not the other way around.

Yes 100% agreed. Seems like he kinda got punked both times in dragon mode only to power up in oni mode. I suspect his immortality is linked to this in some way.

Although it narratively makes more sense for Zoro to be the one to finish Kaido, Luffy's probably going to force punch him in his wound. X marks the weak spot

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I mean Mr. 2 was one of the big hitters in a major international crime syndicate, he probably did some heinous poo poo before Luffy's magic plot charisma made him a protagonist. Even then he's still the guy that helped free a bunch of hardened criminals from the world's worst prison

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I don't mind Robin sitting on the sidelines for a while as long as she eventually beats the poo poo out of Aokiji for killing Jaguar. Especially if does it in a giant Haki-infused Voltron of her own body parts, much to Chopper and Frank's delight and her own chagrin

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

From what I can recall, I don't think she still holds a grudge towards Aokiji over that.

Oh really? It seemed like moving Aokiji to Teach's crew was setting up a big 1v1 down the line

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

So when Luffy's fruit awakens he'll basically be able to turn the battleground into a giant bouncy castle right? What happened to Cracker, except instead of being sent flying three towns over, you fly straight into Luffy's fist coming just as fast in the opposite direction

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I hope that Aigis Zero is an homage to Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The only way this could be more heroic is if Oden survives the full hour, and despite being horrifically wounded makes a desperate last stand (because obviously Kaido and Orochi won't come good on their promise to spare the samurai) allowing them to get away and be sent into the future

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Yeah Kaido seems pretty cheerful in these flashbacks, something happens to make him miserable for sure

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I dunno, I think Sabaody through Paramount War humbled Luffy somewhat and taught him that he has to be a bit savvier to reach his long term go. He tables chasing his dream for 2 years whereas up until then he's just been running headlong into whatever chaos and danger is in his way. Without that, I don't think he would have sat still long enough to be trained by Rayleigh (and later Hyogoro), or eventually caved and allowed the formation of the Straw Hat fleet, or allied with Bege to assassinate Big Mom. He's still a huge dumbass but I think there's been some very subtle maturation

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

O. D. En

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Said it before but Oda consistently uses guns as a metaphor for contempt and abuse of power. Kaido using a gun seems so out of character until you remember that Teach and crew killed Whitebeard with guns despite having way more powerful attacks, Arlong used one to kill Bellemere despite being a swordsman, and Doffy used one to kill Law (although he failed) despite his strings (probably loads more examples that I've forgotten). Whenever you see someone use a gun execution style in One Piece it means they're a colossal rear end in a top hat who has someone at their absolute mercy and won't even give them the dignity of an honourable death. tldr Kaido is gonna suffer for that

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Contempt was probably the wrong word, because yeah on a reread Kaido has mad respect for Oden. Maybe it's better to say guns are emblematic of a huge disparity in strength - they're only used when the other guy is completely overpowered

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

RIP oda

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Kanjuro being poo poo at drawing was such a good fakeout

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Kanjuro's fight could be a doozy. I wonder if his non-lovely drawings have the same abilities as their subjects despite being easy to "kill". Can he draw a glass cannon Kaido dragon complete with mouth laser breath?

Btw Kinemon was straight up ice cold in this chap

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Who's to say that Oden can't do porcine keyhole surgery with a katana

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

He's to the Marines what Roger is to pirates, and we haven't seen him fight even close to seriously yet. He was just phoning it in at Marineford.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Funky Valentine posted:

I like how Garp is past his prime and yet could probably still snap Akainu in half.

Yeah I think so too, and tbh if for whatever reason Luffy doesn't get to avenge Ace, this is the only acceptable fate for him

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

And a bunch of oni, if I remember right. This poo poo is going to be long, but it's earned its length and I am so ready for it.

Yeah there's a bunch of giant shadowy things with kanabos that haven't been fully seen yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Extreme Buggy energy from Kinemon there