Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
That was fun! After so much decompression, it's amazing how much Oda can cram into one little chapter.

Looks like we got our first sort-of look at Ryokugyu on that big cast splash, but no hint of the seventh warlord? X Drake is suspiciously separated from the rest of the supernovas. Could be nothing, could be Oda does it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
drat do I love One Piece

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Speaking of the snake, one thing that impresses me about the Skypiea flashback is that Norland was able to loving take out a massive snake in a single blow, whereas Zoro, the Skypieans, the Shandarians, and even Enel weren't able to kill Nora.

Though Enel did beat Nora pretty conclusively.

Really makes you wonder how strong the guy must've been.

One thing I realised in my latest re-read is that while the rest of Shandora's flora and fauna grew giant, Nola is actually still normal size for her species.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
Maybe the constant close-ups of Jack's eyes are Oda's response to everyone complaining about never seeing Dofy's eyes. Although after reading vol 76 it seems like we actually saw Dofy's eye on this page??

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

Poor kid. Even when they first met, Luffy wanted to turn him into food.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
My take on Blackbeard is that he's a regular guy who dreams big and achieves his goals through deceit and backstabbing. In the Pirate Warriors games, he has a very clumsy-looking way of fighting. He hasn't been shown (as far as I can remember) to know how to use combat haki, and he takes hits like a wimp. I've heard people call him a tank but this is One Piece, where people shrug of life-threatening injuries every other chapter. It has been mentioned that his fruit absorbs damage, but even so I think he's just a wimp – when the big showdown with him comes, I don't really see him zipping around the battlefield like most strong characters. Shanks also implies that he didn't get his scar in a straight-up fight.

The only thing that might contradict this is him being well-respected enough in the Whitebeard pirates to be offered the position of division commander, but he might have just been a great pirate by being dastardly rather than strong. He kept a low profile and was a complete unknown to the marines – before becoming a warlord, his bounty was 0.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

AradoBalanga posted:

It was probably some grand plan by Oda to set something up down the road. What that plan is, we'll just have to see.

Also, One Piece is on break this week, right?

Chopper's finally going to fulfil his role as emergency rations?

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
I've always taken it for granted that Garp and Roger were the same generation, and so are Luffy and Ace, but never actually realised the Monkeys have one more generation in their family. That means that Roger was in his mid 50s when he conceived Ace. Gold Roger was an old dad

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

Bobulus posted:

That would be their exact reactions if, for example, she whispered that she planned to kill herself to abort the wedding. They don't look angry, like she betrayed them. They look upset, like they just got crushingly sad news.

That's what I'm thinking. There's the panel early in the chapter where she is contemplating while looking over the edge of her balcony. Or maybe she'll pull an Aladdin and get saved by her flying carpet.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

Onmi posted:

If I need help with Unlimited World Red, would I be able to ask in here?

I played it a few months ago, so maybe?

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
The other night I managed to read the next chapter of One Piece in a dream. Because it was surprisingly coherent I kept note of the plot details for ye.

The wedding ceremony has proceeded and we're now at the most pivotal part. Just as Sanji and Pudding are about to seal the deal with a kiss, a pistol is drawn by... Sanji!? Everybody looks on aghast, none more shocked than Sanji himself. This wasn't part of the plan! Did Pudding do something to him? All eyes on him, Sanji considers pointing the gun at Pudding, Big Mom, Judge – but ends up pointing it at himself!

"I can't go through with this wedding! I already have a captain – the only man I'll ever sail under: Straw Hat Luffy! In fact... somehow I... feel like he's with me right now..."

As he says this, Sanji seems to be focussed on something in the distance. Catching his glare, all of the other guests one by one turn their gaze towards the back of the room, where Luffy is inside a mirror, stretching his mouth to make a ridiculous face in preparation for his "funny" entrance (any likeness to a certain goatman are coincidental). Hoping nobody noticed, he sheepishly moves out of sight.

Back in Capone's hideout, Jimbei is so shocked that the plan only took seconds to fail that he is depicted with only one giant nostril (this is the universal manga shorthand for shock). However he regains his composure and yells "It's time for plan B! Prepare the bombs!"

Dozens of mice begin running around carrying cartoon bombs. They're led by a new female character who, after every step forward, needs to march four steps on the spot. The next page introduces the character who looks exactly like obscure character Millie from obscure game Suikoden 2. Her name is C-E-C-E and there's a really long mangastream translator note that says the name is actually pronounced "Cindy-Cindy" using some sort of X Drake dream Oda logic. She's riding on a giant bird (not Morgans) and Nami is with her.

And that's the end of the chapter. I don't want to call myself a prophet, but I guess we'll see in a couple of days.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

To be fair, Kong Organ never really made much sense anyway.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
People in One Piece can set themselves on fire through sheer force of will. You just gotta spend some time in the jungle.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
It's pretty simplistic but my money's on "can't use armament and observation at the same time".