Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
kuja island i can see but marineford is absolutely wrong. it was a highlight of the series. shabondy through to the timeskip was the longest period of nonstop good chapters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Baal posted:

I'm not gonna answer you because you're just gonna keep being a condescending douche. If you actually want me to answer your questions then talk to me like a person.

marineford contained well designed characters, emotional high (low) points that felt genuine and earned, a worldspanning conflict which felt like some sort of payoff, hints towards the final end of the story. in this sense it is one of if not the best arc in the series, tied probably with water 7->enies lobby which contaiend similar emotional highs/cool fights, but more internal motivations than external

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Baal posted:

Why is it so hard for you to just say "What do you dislike about it?" Why is it immediately "I don't know how?" Like your brain is actually completely unable to empathize with somebody who dislikes something that you like.

your a spaz

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

You can dislike it definitely. For me, I thought that the two characters the arc revolved around, being whitebeard and luffy, were the most interesting in te story. Whitebeard at leat manages to be a sense character story, with cool
Motivations and powers and it was also cool that he was like a legendary figure. So moment with otherwise tertiary chars like Squardo had a lot of impact, because we saw what made him a great man within like the first dozen chapters he was in, which is in contrast to other characters (say kyros or Rebecca) who receive more chapters and come out still feeling hollow.

Additionally the entire mega arc was "luffys arc" and showed his motivations a lot more clearly than they had been shown before. Like I got that he liked his nakama", and stuff like drum island and arlong park definitely showed that, but he was always relatively easily winning at those stages. The whitebeard war mega arc has him lose three times over and makes luffy a lot more interesting than generic shonen "I like my friends" leads, and really showcases the relationships he has in a cool light from the crew, to allies like Bon clay, to ace.

Finally I like that arc a lot because unlike in many others, the stakes felt really high throughout. In the water seven big arc the stakes were high internally, between crew members and I genuinely could believe that someone from the crew might/could leave. In whitebeard war they were high because I thought anyone could die, btwn sengoku, maybe garp, ace, whitebeard, jinbei, ivankov. That levity made week to week implicitly more interesting than dress rosa necessarily because you pretty much know everyone including law and Bellamy are gonna be ok.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

anime was right posted:

i dont like ace but i like luffy for liking ace, if that makes sense

It does and it was tragic that his noble ambition was thwarted in such a manner, losing his brother for his own life to be saved

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

If you didn't like the part where Whitebeard, riddled with bullets and having only half a head, made sure to bellow out that One Piece does exist, I do think you're a madman. as well his epilogue owned

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

that guy wasn't wrong about the whole afro thing though.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

One thing I do wish is that the payoff for the series big secrets like will of d, void century, joyboy, etc was a bit more paced throughout. I get it's mostly end game stuff but it'd be really cool to definitively learn things in the build up!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

zoro is on par with luffy and has been through most of the series. thats why he has to be handicapped if he isnt fighting luffy level opps.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

who was that above blackbeard in the emperor pic? big mom?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

yeah im pretty sure the plot point is gonna be that hes a noble or a prince or somesuch but idk if i'll like that because we literally had tht with doflamingo and sabo

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Cat Machine posted:

I feel like a Strawhat being a renounced Celestial/Noble would provide a nice emotional hook for the inevitable showdown between the World Government and the crew - it would give Luffy a reason to give a poo poo, if nothing else

true

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I'm pretty sure "jack" is gonna be Morgan but with a kaidou fruit, this way when he fights the navy he gives them a rough time to show how strong kaidous army and fruits can make otherwise weak chars

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

if all the villains were just martial arts like lucci, instead of having door powers like blueno, it'd be boring.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Sakazuki's been getting an increasing number of humanising moments, even if he's still a giant rear end in a top hat. He'll get a beatdown, sure, but there's a vague possibility of redemption afterwards. On the other hand, I can see Borsalino going off the deep end like an Olympic diver. That guy is just not right.

wait where has he gotten humanizing moments

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

He didn't kill Aokiji, at least. (He didn't kill Bonney either, but in that case he probably had explicit orders to capture her alive.) There was also the bit where Sengoku suggested that Akainu would probably take back his order to kick Fujitora out of Marine bases if Fujitora apologized, suggesting that while Akainu is quick to anger, he doesn't necessarily hold long grudges.

oh yeah idk if id call those humanizing, he's still kind of a huge rear end but it's more than he has his rigid code of justice and follows it in its entirety while giving some respect to strength and camaraderie (i.e. leaving kuzan alive, willing to forgive fujitora)

things im interested in:

1. kaidou war and his backstory
2. akainu backstory and final fight
3. will we ever get to see kong fight

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

im really interested in the edward weebl stuff. though i figure it'll be one of those "fight for a bit, come to an understanding" i think it'll be cool, his design is delightfully goofy but still a little bit menacing.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Agreed. I hope someone punches his mum tho

lol definitely.

we have so many open threads at the moment

-weebl + mom
-dragon calling all revo leaders
-revolutionarys vs bb pirates
-minkmen
-sanji "only alive"
-big mam threat
-kaidou threat
-whatever happened with the samurai and ninja

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Jose posted:

its really cool most of this got introduced in like 3 chapters and none of it feels even remotely forced

yeah, for some reason i am getting the feeling that oda was unsure of how to handle dressrosa, but has this next arc really well plotted and big in scale. hoping its not just an incorrect hunch

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

track day bro! posted:

Is there any way to read one piece online without buying every volume. Like some sort of monthly fee type thing?

yes, mangastream.com OP.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

anime was right posted:

is this a bad joke or something

I am responding to my good online friend Idiot race about how to read One Piece online.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Ryaomon posted:

Both have already been explained. You explode and a nearby fruit becomes a devil fruit respectively.

the whole "nearest fruit becomes a devil fruit" thing is actually retarded

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Space-Bird posted:

You are wrong and bad. The whole point of this is the Blackbeard pirates figured out how to 'game the system'...and that's why they're freaking everyone out. It thematically fits within One Piece, actually.

it is actually retarded because you'd have to assume that literally nobody has noticed this before.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

wow blackbeard is so drat clever and crazy...he noticed that the fruit nearby turns into the fruit of the guy that died one actual second ago...what sun tzu level tactics befitting an emperor of the new world..

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

if the end of the devil fruit "story" is just that 'nearby fruits become the devil fruit if someone dies' then thats just another disappointing story beat in the post timeskip one piece

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Advice posted:

Can I ask you a question, tbp? What happened when Smiley ate the candy, exploded, and a nearby piece of fruit in a basket appeared to turn into a devil fruit?

I mean I think it happened exactly the way it looked, a nearby fruit presumably of the same kind (like banana to banana or whatever) becomes the devil fruit. I'm holding out a sliver of hope that isn't necessarily the case because I think that's an insanely bad storytelling idea, and while it doesn't outright conflict with anything we know of the fruits currently it seems to me absolutely silly that it would be some grand mystery about how they get reproduced in the world yet nobody except like three ppl ever has realized that it's just "yeah another close fruit lol"

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Kegslayer posted:

I think it's probably more complicated than just finding the nearest piece of fruit.

Caesar and Vegapunk probably found out through experimentation and Blackbeard was shown to have done a poo poo ton of research on devil fruits to the point where he was after a specific one and had already known the strengths and weaknesses of the fruit despite its rarity.

I hope so bc otherwise it's dumb

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

The first half was legitimately laugh out loud funny

The design for the mink men guys looks like it sucks

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

who the hell is jack.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Jose posted:

the person who was trying to rescue doflamingo from sengoku

ah so whos that likely to be. probably someone we already know right

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

good chapter but the gorilla having an afro and being named black back is not great

lol get over yourself

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Jose posted:

makes sense since we only saw part of his face. hopefully not morgan because then these threads will never stfu about gin coming back

ah yeah i thought it might be morgan and he'd have some suped up df and be like pretty strong now to show how kaidou can make ppl crazy powerful

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

gin is a mostly forgettable character. dont really care if he comes back or not.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

man pretty much every single chapter since the end of dressrosa has been really really good. since then i feel less like there is a lot of competing storylines which each are kinda eh on their own, to now where theres a multitude and i wish i could see more right away. weirdly the thing im most excited for is weevil, his design is both like completely funny but also a bit intimidating, i wanna see that power in action

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

RealFoxy posted:

So wonderful of Oda to include a tribute to his #1 fan tbp
Thriller Bark is thematically one of my favorite looking arcs, but I watched the anime straight through Waters Seven + reread the manga and this is always where I end up stopping. Gonna try and pick up the omnibus and power through it because I think this is the only major arc I don't think I've read

keep my name out ur mouth retard human being esp. if i dont even know who you are lol

More On Topic: This current arc owns, and is some of the best OP has been - i think the whole new world up to dressrosa was probably necessary for oda to get everything in order for the big finish, the pacing and worldbuilding and designs have all been so good isnce then

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

namis new designs better than her old one i think

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

he just makes up random numbers when it comes to % completed lol. there's probably a good few major storylines left that'll each take ages

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

anime was right posted:

we have like what, 2 yonko, the end war, and an ending at the very absolute least.

with that number, theres probably at least two more arcs in there. so blackbeard probably gets his own arc, and the marines/world nobles will get a separate arc from the war i bet.

yeah the ones that are like set in stone would be
arc vs blackbeard
current arc vs big mom
arc vs kaido
arc vs the government

some of these will be woven into the above, but could realistically be their own story
raftel exploration etc
something vs shanks, friendly
arc vs weevil
arc vs mihawk
elbaf
all blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

dordreff posted:

I'm guessing Mihawk will be involved in the Shanks story, and Weeble will turn up and start causing problems for both sides in one of the Yonko story arcs. And they need to do something with the Revolutionaries as well, but that'll probably be part of the Blackbeard arc.

i agree with those ideas definitely, weeble in particular feels like he'll be attached to a storyline. i hope he comes back in soon, interesting character