Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Parrotine posted:

Wait how the hell does that work out?

You get your rear end beat by a pirate pre time skip and get a promotion from CP9 to CP0? :shepface:

I suspect you get a free pass when said pirate later charges into a fight with your entire leadership structure and makes it out unscathed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Parrotine posted:

Yeah but Lucchi was already there in disguise before Luffy started laying the beatdown on Doffy and the gang. Given how Aikanu was spitting hot fire over the new admiral apologizing to the country, it's hard for me to buy that Aikanu would let that slide, even with Lucchi/Aikanu's practice of 'Dark Justice'. There's definitely more to the story here, I figure it's got something to do with the Elder Stars or whatever they're called forcing their hand despite his objections.

On another story beat! Doffy's wrapped up in chains, pegged to the floor monitored by that 'give-no-fucks' lady marine and he's still delivering those trademark warped philosophical speeches? Stay golden flamingo, never change that spirit :allears:

I agree with you after reading this - I find it really hard to believe that Rob Lucci, a villain who was defeated in a completely fair 1v1 slugfest by the protagonist which almost killed both of them, could come back as a villain. In shonen that guy is like 90% gonna switch sides, he cannot come back until he finds a new dream after being defeated in that way. He's gonna be representing like the moral justice faction in the WG or something I bet. IMO Oda is beginning to foreshadow a rogue Marine faction in general and this fits.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Crazyeyes posted:

I also want to see Commander in Chief Kong fight somebody. I would be very pleased to see a mythical "Monkey King"/"Sun Wukong" zoan out of him, as his name suggests. Almost certainly won't happen, but it'd be awesome if it did.

Now you've said this I immediately think you're correct and that this will be one of those posts that gets repeatedly emptyquoted about 3 years down the line.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Niddhogg posted:

I don't if he had every detail planned out from chapter 1, but I think since he had Sanji's face obscured with two sets of wanted posters he had to have had some purpose. Would be FAR from the first time Oda had something planned really far back:

"[Boa Hancock's] very first published appearance was actually shown on the cover of a 1999 Weekly Shonen Jump. "

If I wanted to take the time I could find like 10 examples of this.

Please take the time, it would be legitimately really interesting to see any others I haven't encountered before.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450775543"]
Kaido has the demon demon fruit.

Ogre Ogre/Oni Oni would be more appropriately Japanese and fits his look. He literally has Oni horns. I'd bet on that if I had to bet on anything. Actually, gently caress it, :toxx:

Tolth fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 29, 2015

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Captain Invictus posted:

Why do people still toxx themselves.

It's like gambling. It may be a waste of money but it adds some tension to life. Additionally, if I'm right, I get to be even more smug.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 29, 2015

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450802475"]
Isn't an oni just a demon in Japanese?

They're pretty different to the Western conception of demons but they fill roughly the same niche.

Edit: I almost forgot, in Japan people frequently guard against Oni with monkey statues.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 29, 2015

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

oddium posted:

people like characters who are "just strong" because of american exceptionalism and bootstrapping. it's really dumb

It's tremendously lacking in self-awareness to assume that everyone you're talking to is from the US while bitching about american exceptionalism on the internet.

Niddhogg posted:

Also you say those fights work because Zoro had to figure out how to beat their powers, but if that's true, the fact that people had those powers is what made it interesting in the first place.

You're right, but what this highlights, IMO, is that the most interesting fights often come from watching someone who is 'just strong' fight someone with cool powers. The puzzle-solving aspect can be fascinating, whereas watching two dudes with cool powers go it out often turns into a clusterfuck that only ends because the author decided one dude's super-move was stronger than the other. These kind of fights are often awful (Toriko vs Starjun is one of the worst of these I've ever seen), and while a few series manage to pull it off (JoJo) it takes a pretty talented author with a certain style of creativity.

Oda almost cheats his way out of this with Luffy, because while he does have a cool superpower, as the series goes on the Gomo Gomu really does just become another way for him to be a Strong Guy. Like, his abilities are cool and creative, sure, but the last time I can remember Luffy winning because he's made of rubber (rather than because he's really strong) is Enel. If I've forgotten something hilariously major here, please call me out, but I don't think there's many. Like, consider how many of Luffy's fights would have gone differently if he'd eaten the Bane Bane No Mi and had spring-based powers instead; I can't think of many. His moves would look different but he'd end up having almost exactly the same sort of roster of attacks, just spring themed. Compare this to the way powers work in for example Stardust Crusaders, where almost every fight is a weird chess-match with people trying to find a hole in the other guy's bizarre abilities.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 29, 2015

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Niddhogg posted:

How would he hit people from a distance without moving his entire body to them (this happens a lot)? How would he have grown giant body parts? How would he have survived having his feet stuck in concrete and thrown into a pool? How would he be immune to bullets before haki?

Surely this kind of reinforces my point? His powers as a result of being made of rubber are "Can attack at a distance, grow really big, and is bulletproof". Like, that's also Goku. I'll concede the being thrown into a pool point - but at the same time that, and all the instances of Luffy using his stretchy arms to grab stuff etc, were non-combat stuff. I think we see more uniquely 'rubber man' poo poo when Luffy's not fighting than when he is.

And so it doesn't seem like I'm dodging the question -

1. Using spring arms to fire poo poo at people. Maybe they extend really far in the same way even.
2. Rather than giant body parts he compresses a ton of force into his arms and then shoots giant shockwaves. Functionally the same.
3. Springs bounce the bullets back.

Only one of those that seems like reaching to me is No. 2.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 29, 2015

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Amorphous Blob posted:

Zoro fights with a sword in his mouth. I do wish they would show him swinging it instead of keeping it horizontal all the time. In 800 chapters it's only served as decoration during a finishing stance.

When I was a kid I wanted him to just be a cool sword guy and now I want him to be whackier.

You're building up a manga tolerance man, you need to cut back. This is how it goes downhill.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Guy A. Person posted:

Like are we just supposed to go "oh yuck Naruto, no thanks!" without having to read a coherent argument?

This is the correct thing to do though.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Niddhogg posted:

This is well stated and I see your point. It also makes me want to see Bellamy do stuff like this.

But, the same could be said about Sanji who is """""""just strong""""""". His whole thing is kicking but all his attacks would be functionally the same if he really liked head butting people. If you get down to it it seems that one piece is full of superhumans who can't swim with a few superhumans who can swim mixed in. Even people with no fruit powers get crazy eventually.

Thanks. The fact that Bellamy doesn't do that poo poo is why he's a scrub rather than a proper rival to Luffy.

What makes Sanji interesting is his personality/chef stuff rather than the fact that he's a Generic Martial Artist though - if you look at him purely as a combat character, he's boring as gently caress. Like he kicks people and Ken taught him how to dragon punch with his legs, that's it. The only Sanji fight I can vividly remember off the top of my head is Wanze, which played into his whole cooking theme in a fantastic way. However, I can remember a shitton more of Sanji's out-of-combat stuff than I can Zoro's, who might as well be in a coma when not fighting. Sanji works because he's not really a combat character at all despite his 'monster trio' status - his purpose in the plot is to be the only male member of the crew who isn't completely socially retarded.

Pop quiz questions - did you remember the Sanji/Doflamingo fight before reading this line? Did you remember the Sanji/Viola sub-plot as soon as I mentioned his out-of-combat stuff? Have you ever noticed that Guile has no eyebrows?

Tolth fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 29, 2015

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Baal posted:

Does anyone consider that a fight?

I'm pretty sure it got more screentime than most of the actual Dressrosa 1v1s did.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Amorphous Blob posted:

We can agree that unstoppable bird cage attacks are dumb, right?

That wasn't an attack, it was a framing device. Both literally and figuratively.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
So, how's the awakened Gomu Gomu gonna work when it happens? My bet is Luffy gains the ability to reduce the integrity of other living beings flesh to turn them into I Have No Mouth Yet I Must Scream style piles of rubber goo permanently.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

F. Lobot posted:

No one should win against a guy with unbreakable birdcage powers. Just make a small birdcage around Luffy and he's done. Oda didn't think it through.

No one would win against like half of all Paramecias if they used their powers in the smartest possible way. And that's not including the man who has nanomachines that let him move at light speed.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 29, 2015

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

AnonSpore posted:

I mean the guy moves at the speed of light, he probably drops by his crib to have a spot of tea and then does grocery shopping in between individual kicks to a dude's face

Also all he has to do is get a 0.1-second run up and whoever gets hit by that punch gets vaporized. Kizaru should have light-speed punched Whitebeard into atoms the second his ships came up above the water.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Baal posted:

Kizaru is too chill to use his powers to the fullest

But that doesn't make any sense. How could a Marine Admiral be so relaxed? I'm beginning to think Oda thinks he's writing for children or something - completely unacceptable and I shall be writing to my solicitor about this.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

quakster posted:

op power hierarchy:

cool grandparent
literally god
has willpower
has fruit powers
good at using a weapon
martial artist
has a weapon
unarmed normal person

This is the universal power heirarchy everywhere?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Elfgames posted:

P.much, think about it in every anime parents die but the cool grandparent is still alive they must be the strongest.

Have you ever tried to pick a fight with your grandpa? I have, and it's not just anime man. They're all the same.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 30, 2015

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Yeah the hat and hair confirm this 100%.

I wonder when Usopp will realize that he's now quite legitimately a badass?

Tolth fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 1, 2015

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd be surprised if that's Lola - she was a pretty decent, moral sort despite her eccentricities. Maybe a relative?

Look at the hats and hair. Literally identical design apart from the tuft. Oda has too much of an eye for detail for that to be a coincidence.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Bobulus posted:

We have to go even sillier: You can use electricity to make electro-magnets. The minkperson's 'float' ability is just tiny electromagnets that repels or attracts her towards metal like Zoro's swords.

Is it possible that their 'animal' appearance as well as electrical powers come from an injection with some sort of nanomachine by Vegapunk?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Sarcophallus posted:

I'd love to see a big bad taken out by accidentally eating a second devil fruit. Big Mom would be a great opportunity for that.

Have we ever had any true proof that this is what happens? I know it's explicitly stated as common knowledge, but who would experiment?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

And the people that aren't?

Carrying out punishments like those without being 500% sure the victims aren't innocent is about as immoral as it gets.

What if you follow the philosophy of absolute justice?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

scary ghost dog posted:

ehhhh its all pretty pointless semantics anyway. but imo a crewmember must be asked by luffy to join the crew, since its basically his family. last time he did that was i believe to a farting pair of legs in punk hazard. im doubting that theres room, narratively, to insert characters into the primary straw hat crew on a permanent basis. it seems pretty flawlessly well-rounded, with each member having an enormous amount of pathos, ethos and evolution. and as falsifiable as this next statement may be, i believe we're more than halfway through the story. so yeah. i dont think there will be any more permanent additions to the crew.

Presumably Luffy disagrees since he's still asking people to join the crew. And he's the Captain.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Larryb posted:

That one's up there too. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the last pure filler arc the One Piece anime has done recently was the tie in to Film Gold a while back.

Are you honestly trying to claim that you don't remember All-Hunt Grount, one of the most exciting and well-written One Piece characters in the series so far?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Maybe Hawkins can use two devil fruits, or has some sort of nanomachines.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Expect My Mom posted:

this prob one of my Top 10 Manga Panels Of All Time honestly

that and Whitebeard saying all he wanted was a family hit me hard

Uniqlo are currently selling that panel on a T-shirt.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Charlie Bobson posted:

What's the trick to reading through one piece without getting distracted in skypiea and not reading it for 6 months, then feeling the need to read it starting from the beginning only to drop off at the exact same place you did last time and then repeating this cycle 9 times

The first time I read One Piece I skipped Skypiea entirely for this reason, and it wasn't a problem at all. Skypiea has no immediate effect on the overall plot - its contribution is seeding some long-term plot threads. This is also part of why it can seem boring - it pretty much pauses the overall flow of the story.

I then went back and read through it when I caught up and ran out of content, and I loved it. I think of all the One Piece arcs, it's the strongest self-contained story - it's pretty much a miniature version of the overall plot of One Piece. It really shines when you're not hungry to find out what happens next.

I would recommend you do the same. You'll miss some background/worldbuilding stuff, but that won't be important until several arcs after the timeskip and won't affect your enjoyment of One Piece overall. Do read the pre-Skypiea Jaya arc, but I assume you've already done this.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 28, 2018

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Charlie Bobson posted:

you don't understand if I don't read it all at once the events won't have the proper emotional weight and moments that should leave me sobbing in my seat will instead be empty and meaningless because i have forgotten my attachment to the characters

this probably isn't true but it's the way i feel man

Being serious though I think some aspects of one piece might just not land for me. Things like Zoro picking up a house and hitting a dude with it owns but I've read Alabasta like 3 or 4 times and I still have no real emotional attachment to Vivi and I'm not sure why. She's around for solid 100 chapters or something like that but I have trouble remembering personality traits beyond "cares about people" and "loves her country."

I think this might be me wanting something that One Piece just doesn't dish out and that's fine. But if I do decide to keep going through it what is One Piece great at that I should look for and appreciate?

I also kind of dislike Vivi. She's a strangely flat character. She failed her tryout to join the Straw Hats permanently for a reason.

It's unmatched at long-term worldbuilding, depicting a sense of camaraderie between the main characters, and emotionally charged fight scenes. The last of those in particular is where it's a masterpiece. I probably missed a few things in the list above but that's what comes to mind.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Nessus posted:

While I can understand your perspective on Vivi I feel you overlook the fact that she and the duck are Straw Hats

Carue certainly is. Vivi's delusions of intimacy are just being fostered to avoid hurting her feelings and to allow the rest of the crew duck access.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Jose posted:

watch one piece when you're tripping it owns

I'd like to second this. It's built for watching on acid in particular.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

scary ghost dog posted:

this is literally textual information.

I dunno if it being an apocalyptic event is strictly textual. I mean, I agree that is the implication and hold the same view as yourself, but still.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And I always felt that Zoro's childhood rival/friend dying in a mundane accident kinda informs his character and worldview more than it seems; aside from his vaguely Buddhist philosophy of focus and self-improvement, it instils in him a particular sort of purpose; to not hesitate to pursue his dream because every day delaying it could be his last. If someone had murdered her, he'd have sworn to revenge instead in all likelihood; sheer bad luck and happenstance aren't an enemy he can pursue in the same way. Unlike nearly all the other Straw Hats, that there was nothing he could have done to prevent, fix or avenge his personal tragedy. It makes everything he does his own choice to the end.

Zoro's obsessive drive was definitely catalyzed by Kuina. They made a promise that one of them would be the greatest swords(wo)man in the world, and then she died. If he ever gives up on that goal, he's spitting on her memory.

It's a really good example of the quality of Oda's writing, IMO. A lesser manga would have him constantly flashing back to Kuina mid-fight to remind the reader that he's fighting so hard and 'truckin through the agony because of his Dead Swordswoman GF. Zoro is a much more powerful character given that the tragedy underlying his determination isn't repeatedly shoved in our faces.

Although we'll probably get one Kuina flashback before he takes out Shiryu or something at the end of the series. And I will cry.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Since they're specifically talking about "Scabbards", what're the chances that 3 of them are Zoro?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

alkanphel posted:

Same here, I guess it will be filled in when they face Orochi.

It'll get filled in at whatever specific moment would make it most emotionally powerful.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I like it.

And while Franky will likely remain my favourite New World Straw Hat, Nami is climbing up the ranks fast. If she keeps stealing abilities then she could wind up being one of the most interesting combatants by the end of the series.

Reading this made me realise how appropriate it is that the 'cat burglar' got her big powerup entirely through stealing it.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

RC Cola posted:

Is it break week again this week?

Nope. Spoilers are already out and it looks to be a big one.

Nonspecific spoiler on new chapter: A long-term theory about a major character is confirmed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Paging Jose: what is it like watching One Piece blitzed? I bet it's a real... Trip. :grin:

E: Also spoilers finally dropped and ohhh boy. :supaburn:

It works absolutely perfectly with LSD and is incredible.