Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Sanji backstory arc incoming, oh god, I always thought if anyone had a missing backstory it would be Nami (due to how she and her sister met Bellamere and the nature of her weather predicting powers).

We actually know very little about any of the Strawhats' backstories, aside from a single defining tragedy.

Luffy
Before Flashback - Who/where is Luffy's mom? Why was he abandoned? Why did Garp take him to be raised by a bandit rather than raise Luffy himself?
After Flashback - Not much here. We're led to believe that Luffy just continued to train until the day he left. Something else could have happened though.

Zoro
Before Flashback - No parents. What happened to them? Was he living in that dojo? Actually, come to think of it, Zoro might have parents. It'd be a great gag later to find out that Zoro has a doting mother and father back home who just want their precious baby boy to be happy.
After Flashback - Zoro had to have some adventures on his own to have already made a name for himself as a bounty hunter. Who did he take down? Mightn't they want revenge?

Nami
Before Flashback - Found in a battlefield. Was this a war or just bad pirate attack? There could be something special about Nami (or Nojiko, I guess) tied to that battle and that's why Bellemere had to desert the marines in order to save the girls.
After Flashback - Same as Zoro, really. She stole 93 million berries from some presumably pissed off pirates. More opportunity for a revenge story.

Usopp
NO FLASHBACK - I mean, there's a brief one in which his mother dies and he starts his daily lying, but that's not really tragic ENOUGH for a One Piece flashback, you know? Really, his defining tragedy was The Boy Who Cried Wolf one that we get when he joins the Strawhats.

Sanji
Before Flashback - Nothing before being a cook on a cruise ship. Again, no parents. Again, where are they/who are they? I like the secret prince/noble theory. I prefer to think that Sanji ran away for some reason, but was too young to know the life of privileged he was throwing away and therefore won't have any idea why he's wanted Only Alive. Maybe the Mr. Prince moniker was just a coincidence (he likes to think of himself as a Prince Charming/knight in shining armor, after all), or maybe he vaguely remembers being called a prince when he was very young. Maybe he recalls it as a mother's petname rather than a title. Lotta "maybes" there. Can't wait to find out more.
After Flashback - Nothing much. We know he stayed on the Baratie and helped Zeff. Not a lot of room for extra stories there.

Chopper
Before Flashback - Nothing to see here. Unless we count the story of the previous Human-Human Fruit eater who must have died on Drum Island at some point.
After Flashback - Again, I'm not seeing much. He trains under Doc Kureha.

Robin
Before Flashback - We know about her mom, but what about her dad? Something is mentioned about his "unfinished business" (I JUST rewatched this, and noted the line), so there's probably a story there. Also, Robin had already eaten the devil fruit by the time we see her flashback. Where did she get it and from whom?
After Flashback -

Franky
Before Flashback - Pirate parents who can't handle their unruly son? I want to hear that story. Or at least get a page or two displaying their character designs and personalities. They could even be "important" later, but I doubt it. I think they're only important to set up Franky as being a wild child.
After Flashback - I think there's a good story to be told about what Franky did after failing to stop the train and rebuilding himself as a cyborg. He didn't go back to Water 7 right away. What did he do in the intervening years? What made him return to the island that held such pain for him and already thought him dead?

Brook
Before Flashback - We got a lot of his life story in the flashback, but there's still so much to tell. There's literally a lifetime of stories missing from Brook's backstory. He remembers a rookie named Roger; maybe he'll have experienced something else that turned out to be really important.
After Flashback - Not much. We didn't get to see much of his first encounter with Moria. Just a flashback to his first attempt to retrieve his shadow. Other that that, it's just lonely drifting through fog.

So yeah. There's a lot of room for further defining the personalities of pretty much all the Strawhats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

F. Lobot posted:

It was kinda strange how Franky rebuilding his body was glossed over. "He found some spare parts and put his shipwright skills to use"? Seems dodgy, the way Oda no biggies it. Maybe the Pluton blueprints taught him about cyborg technology. Maybe the parts belonged to Vegapunk or some other scientist. There's a plotline starting there.

This chapter was so freaking good.

But Franky didn't get the Pluton plans until after he rebuilt himself and returned to Water 7.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Power levels confirmed.

Boooooo.

Silver2195 posted:

I think Oda just didn't really think through the implications of the Human Human Fruit just lying around.

Yeah, it's probably like haki in that he probably didn't solidify the mechanics until much later on.

Silver2195 posted:

We actually already got a backstory twist after the main flashback (the origin of Monster Point). Not really room for anything more, though.

Oh yeah... I forgot about that!

Silver2195 posted:

Interesting. I don't have any guesses.

Me either. I'm not really theory-crafting here; I'm just pointing out areas that Oda could use to surprise us in the future.

Jose posted:

its no surprise that there are so many pirates in a world full of deadbeat parents

Hurt people hurt people. :(

RatHat posted:

Also why would the previous Human-Human fruit user need to have died on Drum island? That's not how they work.

The fruit's power jump to the nearest similar fruit after the previous user dies. I guess I am assuming that Devil Fruits don't just appear randomly in the world, which might be wrong. I always assumed they all came from the same tree somewhere.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450633105"]
Oda said that Luffy's mom had already appeared in the manga, and he even specified a volume. I'm sure the possibilities could be narrowed down to a tight list.
Seriously? Why hasn't anybody done that already?! What volume?

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Koala for next crew member. I don't care that she's with the Revolutionary Army. Make something up and make it happen, Oda.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

I think this is still my favorite panel in this comic.

It's a good one. I think my favorite is the one where the ancient ship is falling from the sky. I'd hang that fucker on my wall if I could figure out a way to get a high enough resolution pic of it.

RE: Skypiea

I remember Skypiea being the arc that made me drop out of One Piece for several years. I had been anime-only at the time and the pacing had gone to hell. I wasn't a sophisticated enough viewer to notice that it was pacing that was off, I just knew I was bored and had been for a while.

When I did my first read through, I remember liking Skypiea a lot more.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Sure, they provide an objectively superior product in pretty much every way, BUT THERE'S AN L, YOU GUYS! :qq:

I don't like Zolo either, but it's an incredibly minor quibble and the benefits far outweigh one L.

You're right, but I can't make myself not care. Every time I read the official release and see "Zolo", it takes me right out of the experience because I've known his name for years and that not it. It'd be like buying an Avengers comic and everyone's referring to an incredible "Halk".

I recently came into a bit of money and plan on buying the entire official series, but I'll probably never read it because "Zolo".

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

I hope Gin got fat.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Is it cool to post fan art?

I twisted my ankle taking out the garbage a couple weeks ago and guilted my friend into drawing this. (She was going to draw another Straw Hat soon anyway, I just stepped up Franky's spot on the schedule.)

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

There's always a new chapter.

... in your heart.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Bobulus posted:

Comixology has all the volumes and lets you read them through a web interface.

Oh, really? Do they do the Guided View, too? Because I might just go digital.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

I assume there's no Jump this week?

Theory time:
  • Kaidou was granted immortality by a previous user of the Ope Ope Fruit.
  • Kaidou is related to Oars, which explains why Moria overestimated Oars.

Holy poo poo. That makes a lot of sense in retrospect. Like, how else would people know that the Ope Ope Fruit CAN grant immortality - and that it takes a sacrifice, etc. - unless it had been done before. And one of the Four Emperors would make for a pretty famous example.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It would be quite funny if Sanji is dead two chapters after a new plot thread is teased about him.

Wanted: Only Alive

*immediately dies*

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

So I had a crazy theory that Sanji is Jack. I went back and looked and, in the only shot we have of Jack, he does not have curly eyebrows. So, theory: busted.

Buuut... Jack actually has NO eyebrow. So... theory: possible?

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

I'd be glad if there's a permanent "shift to Mondays" too, since I won't have to read crappy translations to keep up with this thread anymore.

I'm not sure it will cure people of the habit of reading Bleach, though, since Bleach comes in English Shonen Jump too. Unless the suggestion is that people are more bored on Thursdays than on Mondays, and that's why they read Bleach?

Can we do a thread vote on this? Because I'd prefer to wait for the official too.

Now that I know how the Chinese raws stuff works, I feel like kind of a shitheel for not having a Jump subscription. "Keeping up with the thread" is basically my only reason to read the early, hastily-translated stuff.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

A NEW CHAPTER IS OUT. In Korean.

Marumaru now calls itself "the fastest One Piece translation site."

In English: http://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/808

Sicilian is rad.

Duke is a good name for a dog.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

TheWyrmDude posted:

Sucks all the water up with his trunk.

Yeah, I was thinking he'd crash his trunk into the ground and drinks up the water table. It's just silly enough to be possible.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Asimo posted:

Notice that Luffy isn't smoking, he has a lollipop. Look carefully and see the wrappers on the seat below him. :ssh:

Those are condoms.

I miss the Ruin the Moment thread...

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Google brings me to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Heavenly_Hockey_Club

loving shoujo hockey manga. I must read it.

Let us know how it is.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Fuckshoes posted:

So the awakened String-String fruit allows Mingo to make strings out of the ground. What if Gear Fifth involves Luffy making the terrain into a giant bounce house?

Plus Oda is a massive Kabuki nerd and makes references to it whenever he can.

Luffy having a bounce house power makes me smile. Think about how happy it would make Chopper.

I'm also picturing Zoro and Sanji bouncing around at speed and slashing/kicking enemies.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

dazoner posted:

And the declaration of Luffy becoming the pirate King was epic!!!

Indeed.

What the hell is going on? I like Star Wars again and now I like Sanji again. Are we going back in time?

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

ThingOne posted:

They're free from reprisal from "common" people and nobles but other Celestial Dragons are probably a completely different story. People like them are never happy with the amount of power they have so I imagine that Mariejois is a cesspit of backstabbing and intrigue; with various families jockeying for power and favor over each other. Sure, the Charlosses and Mjosgards are a bunch of inbred morons but every family probably has at least one Doflamingo pulling the strings. A family of non-government assassins would find a lot of work there and have a lot of pull as a result.

You're awful.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Probably seastone like in Alabasta. If Crocodile and Doffy have access to it, Kaidou more than likely does too.

Or seastone cuffs and regular bars.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

I want to object to everyone saying that Blackbeard must be tough because he was a candidate to be a division commander. I read that scene entirely differently. It read to me like a young superstar getting promoted but having to get the blessing of the old guy who's been with the company for a long time. The old guy can't really object without risking his position and the young guy probably doesn't really care who got hired first, but they both have to have this conversation to be polite. A very Japanese situation.

As for Shanks' scar, we don't know how that happened. Blackbeard could have attacked him while Shanks was asleep for all we know. Or something else dirty and underhanded.

I don't think you can assume Blackbeard's tough from either of those points.

Asuron posted:

That's why I was curious as to what happened if he grabbed Brooke or Chopper.

Does Brookes body just collapse into parts or does it reform the second he's let go? Does his soul pass on with no ability to come back? Does Chopper regain his human intelligence? It's never going to happen but I'd super interested if Oda decided to answer that in a SBS corner one day because they aren't like other Devil Fruit users, they exist as they are entirely because of their Devil Fruit. If you take away the Devil Fruit you just have a normal reindeer and the corpse of an already dead man.

I imagine Brook would get booted out of his body. Like, we know he can leave it and float around as a ghost, so it'd just be like that. As for Chopper, I think he just wouldn't be able to transform; he's just stuck in the form he was in.

lowercase16 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 24, 2016

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

tsob posted:

I doubt it. Doing so would require that the Luffy not be able to take him down on his own and need his crew's help, which would make him less than worthy in his own mind.

You have a very low opinion of Luffy.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

tsob posted:

Luffy literally told Arlong his job on the crew was to beat the people no-one was else could and that since he had no other specialty like cooking or swords, he didn't deserve to be captain if he couldn't do that. As well as becoming strong because he knew his crew wasn't and wanted to protect them as Oh Snapple! mentioned, he told Ao Kuji pretty much that if I recall and has stated he knows he needs to beat the four Emperors to become Pirate King so he had no problem targeting Shanks, since he'd have to beat him at some point.

I think you took the wrong message from the Arlong fight. Arlong was the one who tied his self-worth to his strength. Luffy specifically says there's a lot he can't do and that's why he has friends. When Arlong asks him, "Just what exactly can you do?" and Luffy responds with, "I can beat you." That was just smack talk. Zoro could have beaten Arlong, if he wasn't severely injured. Sanji too, maybe, if his lungs hadn't just nearly burst.

Luffy fights the biggest bad on his own solely to protect his friends, not to prove himself.

The idea that Luffy would think himself unworthy of being Pirate King if he had help from his friends fighting someone is so :emo: and un-Luffy-like that I kind of take offence to it.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Idk, there is the scene introducing Big Mam where Pudding is kind of unfazed by her mom straight up eating people, I wouldn't rule it out completely.

"Unfazed"? She couldn't stand to look at it. That's how I read it, at least.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Law Cheetah posted:

sanji and pudding should get married imo

I want Luffy to succeed in crashing the wedding, but Sanji and Pudding start dating anyway. It'd be a nice gently caress You to Big Mom and arranged marriages in general.

And it'd be cute. Making all the other Straw Hats sick with all their lovey-dovey bullshit.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Shoren posted:

This is probably something lost in translation, but Luffy and Chopper were laughing at Pudding because she thought his actual, physical legs were black, right? Not that he just wears black suits and kicks people?

That was the gag, yes. But everything she says about Sanji could be gleaned from his wanted poster. So if it's Pudding being naive, then it's just a gag, but if it's Pudding getting details wrong because she never actually met Sanji, then it's probably a trap. And the fact that she added something that would be extremely out of character (Sanji turning down a woman) lends weight to the trap theory. Personally, I want Sanji to have turned her down for the crew and for Pudding to be naive and a good match for Sanji. But it's looking like a trap.

Eiba posted:

Keep in mind Jimbei is a subordinate of Big Mom- he must believe in her to some extent (though it may just have been that the other Yonkou were worse (and Shanks wasn't available)).

If Big Mom wants truly believes in her Utopia, she might be a strong ally for Fishman Island when they bring those signatures and raise the issue of moving to surface at this year's Reverie. That would explain why Jimbei became her subordinate. What's more, it could also be why Big Mom is going ahead with marriage. If Germa 66 are still technically royalty even without a nation, then they would have standing to bring the Fishman Island issue to the table and a vote in its favor.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I really hope the message Pekoms left was chocolate

???

It was scratched into the tiles?

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Shoren posted:

Then again, his desire to return to the crew above all else (even how attractive Pudding is to him) is in character and that's not something she'd know without meeting him or hearing from Capone & Co.

True. I hope. Sanji's character has been rather one-note of late, but I want to believe that his prospective-wife being hot wouldn't be enough for him to go through with it. Then again, we haven't seen him since he saw the picture of Pudding, so he could be ON. BOARD. for all we know.

Also, screw all of you for getting my hopes up about Bon-chan. I just rewatched the Impel Down arc with my friends a couple months ago and Bon-chan is the bro-est bro ever. I cried.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

In Big Mom's Utopia, even goons are allowed to walk the streets. Truly a wonderland.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's insane how physically different helmeppo and coby are from their first appearance

Do you think Coby could take Alvida now?

For that matter, do you think Usopp could take the Franky Family? I like to think so.

Mr. Fowl posted:

I feel like it's one case where Oda forgot that while he'd been writing for yeeeears at that point, less than a year had passed in the story.

I thought that too until I started my most recent read-through. You get to see Coby's gradual progress during the cover stories. It's still a huge difference, but you get to see him getting lankier and developing abs.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Advice posted:

Haha, what? Usopp could take pre-timeskip Franky, let alone Franky Family. Have you seen those loving plants? Not to mention he has haki now. Not even close.

I don't know if he could take out pre-timeskip Franky, but that could be bias talking. Franky can breathe fire, though, and plants hate that.

Usopp did take out the Fake Hats in one shot. I doubt the Franky Family were any stronger than them. At least, the ones that mugged Usopp, which was the scene I recently reread and broke my heart.

Shoren posted:

Alvida wouldn't stand a chance against him now. She was one of the first pirates that Luffy beat up, and since then Coby has been training in rokushiki with freaking Garp, of all people.

True. But Luffy one-shotted Coby at the Paramount War. Luffy was much stronger by then and I can't remember if he used Gear Second, but Alvida's gotten a Devil Fruit power. Eh. It's something I'd like to see, even if Coby just chumps her. Then again, Coby probably can't fight her because she probably has immunity as a part of Buggy's crew.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Advice posted:

Basically the entire last page has been pointless discussion.

This is the natural result of off weeks. Is it preferable to silence? Maybe not. But I'm happy to have an active thread even on off weeks, because I'm rereading the series myself and rewatching the anime with friends AND playing two One Piece video games.

I got a lot of random, lovely musings about One Piece, is what I'm saying, and it's nice to have a place to air them.

Speaking of, I always wanted Usopp to shoot a pair of seastone handcuffs at a logia at a critical moment, giving Luffy or Zoro the opportunity to punch/cut the bad guy. Kinda surprised it never happened and now it seems too late. The closest we got was on Enies Lobby and Usopp hosed it up and shackled himself to Zoro.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Star Platinum posted:

It wasn't force of will, he stabbed himself in the hand to distract his boner.

He did that to Caesar to stop him from escaping at Punk Hazard.

I... don't remember that. Weird. I remember something about a pair of handcuffs going missing, but not the payoff.

I'm not doubting you, I should be clear. Just marveling at my dumb brain.

Crazyeyes posted:

Carrot is Nermal

Pudding, jealous of Carrot's cuteness, tries to mail her to Alubarna.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Nahxela posted:

Newkama land truly is paradise.

Hmm... Haven't seen any okama in Big Mom's wonderland. Sub-par utopia, in my opinion.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

I had a thought last night. Was Brook killed by Germa 66?

Brook and the crew that survived the attack all succumbed to poison and poison is an assassin's tool. And he's been acting weird every time they're mentioned.

Actually, Brook mentioned that he used to be in the army for a "certain kingdom". Maybe that was Germa 66's kingdom. Hell, maybe Brook (and the rest of the Rumbar Pirates?) were targeted because they defected.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Can we talk about some recent covers? I'll start with this one:

Confession time. I had a really stupid thought when I saw this one. I thought for a moment that the Kamabakka Queendom was hosting the Reverie. That's dumb for a lot of reasons, not least is that the country is run by a fugitive Revolutionary. But then I started wondering what they're preparing for. It must be for the gathering of all the Revolutionary leaders. Which is good news, because it seems likely that there was no terrible losses in the fall of Baltigo. If there were, Iva-chan would be in mourning, not planning a party.

I really like this one. If you remember, Mihawk tells Zoro that those humandrills are a very intelligent, tool-using ape. Because the only humans they've ever seen destroyed themselves in a bloody war, the humandrills learned how to use weapons and fought constantly.

Until now. Mihawk is teaching them peace, you guys. :3:

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

he tells whitebeard he bet his arm on the future so no he probably did do just that

Gotta go with Brother Entropy on this. "I bet it on the future" is just a poetic way of saying he lost it saving a kid that he expects will be a great pirate.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

Mainly I think that we haven't seen Sanji really bust out the results of his training yet.

If Sanji goes super saiyan by putting on a pretty sundress and obliterates his family and the Germa army, I'll take back everything I said about Sanji's 2-year training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

he didn't sneak in and he didn't even want to be here tho

I guess he could do something like that now but it wasn't his intention

I think he pieced together a plan during the dinner with Capone. If he didn't have a plan, he might have kept his crewmates with him to keep them safe and so he'd have more options in which to take action later.

Might be wishful thinking on my part, I suppose. I love when Sanji figures out something important and executes a plan without anyone knowing.