Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Star Platinum posted:

I'm phoneposting so I can't check, but doesn't Pudding look like that three-eyed girl who appeared in Big Mom's introductory chapter? I immediately noticed how her hair is strategically covering her forehead.
like 99% certain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Someone in the thread a while back posted a theory that Kaido wasn't going to be beaten by tradition Shonen standards (ie, punched into submission), but rather by Luffy's attitude giving him a reason to live/not be suicidal anymore.

I really liked that idea, but seeing as how he's beaten the crap out of Kidd, I feel like that idea is out the window.
They can still fight! But I do like the idea that Kaidou could be beaten by Luffy's will (his strongest attribute imo). It kinda doesn't make sense for Luffy to defeat all four emperors entirely, since it would leave a huge power vacuum.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

My feeling is that Sanji's dad will be the rear end in a top hat and either some/all of the Vinsmoke kids will end up becoming friends with the Strawhats after this matter's resolved

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I wonder if Big Mom has like a.... Living-Living Fruit or something? That makes inanimate objects into people.

Also building a multiracial utopia just so you can turn everyone into various treats is so fiendishly evil, I love it

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

There's nothing wrong with overlaps in the crew's skills/knowledge, especially given they're very rarely all together in one place these days

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

It's worth noting that in addition to the episodes, Toei's animators also do a shitton of One Piece-related adverts. Any time I've been in Japan, Luffy is hawking 7-Eleven promos, sweets, ice cream, etc.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

drjuggalo posted:

those checks they cut him must be huge with how little animation is in the budget so i dont think hes too mad
I'm gonna disagree. There's a ton of evidence to suggest Oda has a vested interest in the anime as a creative work - Franky's design was influenced by Kazuki Yao (Jango's VA), the main VAs feature in SBS all the time, he's given creative direction to multiple films, he helped the composer of Binks Sake and a ton of his author comments in WSJ refer to what's going on with the anime at the moment.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

the best team up is still zoro+usopp in enies lobby
usopp and chopper in alabasta imo

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Sanji loving owns again

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I think the bomb bracelet might end up being used in a way similar to Zoro's "nothing happened" moment in Thriller Bark, where Sanji will put the crew before his hands

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The original bombs barely killed off an already exhausted pirate. Though the Germa versions are probably way stronger.

gently caress, I forgot how intense Sabaody was

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Caidin posted:

Sanji's mom has been absent just long enough from all this that I'm expecting a super tragic death that that instigated Sanji's issues with women and his departure from Germa.
Sanji's mom was probably sympathetic to Sanji and got her rear end kicked because of it, hence the "i dont hit women" thing

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Space-Bird posted:

can't wait for One Piece Super Crystal :sigh:
Luffy learns Gear Blue Beyond God to beat up Golden Blackbeard

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

where the new chapter at

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Asuron posted:

So many storylines happening at once. I really hope Oda can juggle all the things he's setting up here.
It's funny, unlike Dressrosa and Punk Hazard I feel like I have a good grip on all the variables here. Maybe the characters are just more memorable, but I'm never like "who?" or "where is this happening??" or "why is this person doing this again??"

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

RatHat posted:

Huh, Big Mom's family has the Japanese style naming order.
Same as most families in One Piece. e.g. Monkey D. Dragon, Monkey D. Garp, Monkey D. Luffy.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Maybe this is where we see the tiniest beginnings of a redemption arc? He doesn't seem to have many other places to go.
Dude killed countless innocents and imprisoned, kidnapped and experimented on kids. Don't wanna see any mercy for him.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

don't loving discuss the spoilers for a new chapter without spoiler tags around literally everything

jesus christ we're now at the point where reading the chapter the hour it comes out isnt even protection enough

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Ahahahaha Bleach didn't get a shoutout from Oda on the week of its final chapter and it doesn't have the cover of Shonen Jump. Savage.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've already forgotten who all of the fleet commanders were outside of Bart and Leo.
The giant was pretty loving cool

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Radish posted:

Yeah I agree unless Luffy figures out the counter is to just east the creations and no one ever realized that was a possibility before.
Luffy gets powered up by eating, right?? Seems like eating the soldiers would be a way for him to stay in the fight

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Not having Luffy Vs Straw Hats or even Straw Hats Vs Luffy was also such a let down after Doffy's introduction. Still enjoyed the arc overall though! Lots of fun characters and moments, just too long.
Yeah, definitely the biggest disappointment of the arc. He even had Trafalgar Law right there in the final battle to use as a puppet against Luffy.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Relin posted:

Oda's comment on Kochikame ending:
"I can't help crying. Akimoto-sensei is now free!! He is FREE!!!"

oda's pretty envious
Oda doing big tributes to Naruto and Kochikame but completely ignoring Bleach loving owns

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

New chapter

http://mangastream.com/r/one_piece/841/3705/1

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

DizzyBum posted:

Okay, who in the thread predicted Luffy eating his way through Biscuit's power because this is loving gold.

And Sanji's backstory keeps getting better.
:cool: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742700&pagenumber=181&perpage=40#post463793817

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Isn't that only a problem if he stays in it too long?
It's a direct consequence of him "running out" of Haki, so I assume if he manages his stamina properly he can avoid the state of paralysis

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Begemot posted:

It's just like gear third, the first time he ever uses it, it has consequences. But later he learns how to manage it better and it's no big deal.
Luffy had to revert to the chibi form every time he used G3 until he learned to control it better during the timeskip

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

key party favors posted:

I don't remember where I heard the quote, but it was basically "Toriyama was a gag mangaka who fell rear end-backwards into one of the greatest fight shonen manga of all time"
This pretty much goes without saying given the tone of the original Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball Super and the 2010s DBZ movies have ended up as this wonderful compromise of the original Dragon Ball's irreverence and humour and DBZ's COOL LASER BEAMS battles, it loving owns imho

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

oh gently caress

http://mangastream.com/r/one_piece/843/3743/1

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Latest chapter is up. 843 - Vinsmoke Sanji.

Interesting revelation about Big Mom. She's got weather manipulation tricks that, I'm assuming, don't stem from her devil fruit but maybe from her own weather manipulating device. (Prometheus and Zeus being like the Clima Tract but on a much larger scale) Might be interesting to see Nami go up against someone else who can manipulate the weather.
This chapter seemed to foreshadow Nami getting those powers too??

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There's a rough translation out, you might want to wait though considering the quality: http://m.mangafox.me/manga/one_piece/vTBD/c844/1.html
""rough"" is an understatement, holy poo poo

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The anime has definitely deepened my love of One Piece. It did a really great job on some of the early big moments - the walk to Arlong Park (Overtaken loving owns), the Vivi goodbye, Luffy vs Enel, everything to do with Sogeking and Enies Lobby... they were all enriched by the anime's treatment, but it's been a long time since it came even close to hitting those highs.

I still 'hear' the anime actors and music a lot when I'm reading chapters, but I could never go back to watching.

rest in peace one piece anime golden age, we'll never forget you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNyP3uzgRhA

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Sanji focusing all his love and adoration on his wife instead of random women would be a nice bit of growth that would also make him seem like way less of a lech, I'm all for it

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Sub Harrison posted:

New chapter's out on mangastream!

Really good chapter. Brook's been getting some great panels lately.

I have a strong feeling we've already met or heard of Lola's fiance. Vegapunk maybe?And Big Mom definitely hates Pound for helping Lola escape.

The King of Elbaf? Could explain why she hates giants.

Other option would be Gecko Moria I guess, before Luffy messed things up he was a pretty powerful dude who could probably bolster Mama's army enough to help in a Yonko War. Would help explain why Lola was there.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh my god
BROWNBEARD SURVIVED!!
He was arrested by G5, it's likely to be one of the other random centaurs Caesar created

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Is this the first time that Monster Point has been called that in story rather than as a fan name? If it is, is it a mangastream thing only?
I don't remember if it's ever been said before in-universe, but Oda has definitely called it that in SBS

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I'm definitely gonna bet on 'Pudding attempts suicide but is saved' because helllllll no is anyone else dying on Luffy's watch

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

everyone: "Brook never gets enough to do!!"
Oda: "okay lets make him the first to fight a yonkou"

e: shonen jump on a break next week, fuuuuuuck

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

tsob posted:

Wait, how did Brulee end up making a frog look like Carrot? Wouldn't she remember that?. Still, it's funny that the fight I would guess a few people were anticipating with a dozen or so chapters is over in a few pages. I wonder what Reiju did though? Did she attack the cloning facility? Doubtful. That and trying to help Pudding or Sanji are the only things I can think of, and I doubt the second two either, simply because we've yet to see them in trouble - so having her so hurt because of them would be weird.
The chat about double-crossing earlier in the chapter leads me to think Reiju either escaped an ambush or has learned something she wasn't to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Film Gold was the poo poo, my only real beef with the film is that the pacing sags hard between Zoro's capture and the final fight (which itself is overly long too)