Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I like that Zoro's epithet is still "Pirate Hunter" despite that not making any sense for like 800 chapters now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

tsob posted:

The post time-skip half of the story is heavily aping the arc structure of the pre time-skip story.

I really enjoyed reading this post, thank you. I've been following One Piece for like ten years now and have never really even begun to think about the end, or what it could be. Reading this theory really gets me excited for the next two decades!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Mr. Fowl posted:

What was Moria?

Gecko.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

Luffy ends up bringing back a ton of food from the wedding, and gives Law some sandwiches. But he forgot that Law hates bread!!!

Studio audience laughter, fade to black.

One of my favourite little gags was when he said that and Sanji made him rice balls in the next scene :3:.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Brook having to have Zoro beat his rival for him is the worst part. Even Chopper got to beat the villain's main goon in his arc, and that wasn't as personal as Brook's fight.

I always thought this was a really clever way of showing Zoro was the better swordsman than Brook without having them directly fight each other. That way Brook wouldn't clash with Zoro's dream.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Shoren posted:

They have two different kinds of strength. Zoro is raw power while Sanji has a lot more finesse about him. Look at Zoro and his opponents over time and that's a summary of his strength; things like the 108-pound cannon, slicing up Pica's rock body, Kaku slicing off the top of the Tower of Justice, Mihawk slicing through that giant, frozen wave from half a mile away.

Sanji, on the other hand, tends to have a more subtle approach to things. He targets specific parts of his enemies to maximize damage, he does his Mr. Prince routine, and even restructures people's faces with his attacks. He still kicks ridiculously hard, but he can't cause as much wanton destruction as Zoro can.

In this vein as well, it's worth noting that Zoro doesn't really do much other than be stupid strong, while Sanji has a double major in fight cooking and a minor in subterfuge.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Sorry for a little sidenote.

I've been looking into my long time dream of owning physical volumes of One Piece. That led me to these boxed sets and I was wondering if anyone had any information or first hand experience with them. They look like a great deal. Also, does the price fluctuate much? Do I have any alternative means in Canada, with our completely flaccid dollar?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Big Mom has to be dealt with one way or another, right? Otherwise, what's stopping her from sending people out to the Baratie and smoking them as per the original threat? Pudding's power does seem like an obvious answer for all of this.

Mugiwara 56 is so good.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Praying everyday for Nami to get Zeus permanently. It fits perfectly with both her weather and stealing theme it'd be so loving good :pray:.

I'd also love it if she jumped bounties disproportionately ala Usopp because of it.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Jesus Christ.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Millions posted:

I wish we had gotten Snakeman against Doffy so it was a more technical, fast-paced fight vs. the slugfest it turned into.

Actually, yeah. I would have loved if Doffy was expressed as much more of a technical fighter. It felt strange seeing him tank so many hits, even despite his self-suturing ability.

Snakeman for Technical Doffy and Bounceman for Powerhouse Katakuri seems like much more of a natural fit, if the fights were reflected as much.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

God, Birdcage was such nonsense.

I'm gonna mentally just rewrite that out of my head.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

What in God's name am I looking at here?

To give an actual answer: The early state of One Piece Fan Translations

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I would murder someone for a Dragonball FighterZ quality One Piece game

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Big Mom threatened to murder the heck out of the Baratie folks, which isn't exactly a problem that's solved by them just running away. Which implies that the wedding cake will completely mollify Big Mom.

She'd probably chase him to the ends of the Earth but at least that puts her on a direct course for a Straw Hat rematch.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

So like, pretty hype a f that Zeus is still with Nami.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Powerful Nami face.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Sanji is my favourite character and I'm pretty fuckin' bummed he's still a knob

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

911 y'all

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Chapter's here, y'all

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

The Straw Hats are reunited for the first time in what feels like a billion years so having an Oars-style team beat down would be amazing

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Chopper leading Big Mom directly to Kaido and resulting in the biggest poo poo fight would honestly vindicate his entire character since, uh, Enies Lobby?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

New chapter out. Can't link it right now.

Forums are dying, here's the chapter

I love this cover page

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I love how well developed Haki is becoming. Both Observation Haki and Armamant Haki had foreshadowing that there's more to both and their natural progression from Whole Cake Island and now Wano, respectively, feels earned and organic.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This could really be something too, since he and Fujitora both have distinctly Japanese names.

Honestly the whole Wano basically being Japan has made One Piece feel even more quirky to me. Like in One Piece characters just know what things like takoyaki, an umebozu, the concept of bushido, mochi, etc, are, which we as the audience go "well yeah it's a piece of Japanese fiction"

But now that Wano is here and exists, those things should theoretically only be isolated to Wano. And then you have dudes like Sakazuki running around and it's like, is that just because Oda is a Japanese man so he just went with a Japanese name? Are Sakazaki (and Fujitora) actually from Wano?? Tashigi? What about Nami and Nojiko?

Clearly it's just overthinking it but I feel like if Oda wanted to, he could set up that all of those characters could have originated or descended from Wanoese people.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Crasical posted:

I think my favorite One-Piece joke is Law getting a slow horrified expression as he realizes he's getting dragged down to the level of the Strawhats and engaging in their banter.

If it's the same scene I'm thinking of, I love that Law gets suckered into saying he doesn't really like bread and in the next panel Sanji made him rice balls.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

God I am so jazzed for a Sanji/Zoro team-up a la groggy ring please just destroy the entire surroundings

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I'd like to think that these artificial fruits are so lovely that in addition to only working 10% of the time they also don't even taste bad like they're supposed to.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/one-piece-2/en/0/946/page/1

Good chap one might say worth the wait

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Tir McDohl posted:

Anyone watching the anime feel like they are *really* trying to hammer home that Okiku "isn't an ordinary lady"? I feel like they are pushing on that way harder than the manga did and I kinda feel like its stepping on her character, but it has been a while since I read these chapters.

I feel the anime's whole thing is replacing subtlety with blunt force

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Joke's on anyone that didn't buy physical volumes and hand corrected every L to an R

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I just wish it was either Dogstorm/Catviper or Dog Storm/Cat Viper

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

The fire emblem police are gonna get you dude what are you doing

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Chapter 973

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/manganouA/status/1239340641580179459

Something I didn't notice so I thought I'd share here.