Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Good god.

So I have this crazy hope that CP0 is actually the heads of the Celestial Dragon families in disguise. I just want them to be relevant so bad :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

My money says Sanji's gonna be involved with Reverie, which we know is soon to happen based on Riku and Elizabetho's remarks.

Jose posted:

akainu has one of the more ridiculous devil fruits and i'd like to see him get a proper fight before sabo beats him

I'd really prefer if Garp throws hands and just slaughters Akainu as revenge for Ace. He did say he would kill him at Marineford.

I also want to see Commander in Chief Kong fight somebody. I would be very pleased to see a mythical "Monkey King"/"Sun Wukong" zoan out of him, as his name suggests. Almost certainly won't happen, but it'd be awesome if it did.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I think Brook awoke his devil fruit and that's the source of his "ghosting" ability. That makes him cool and super strong.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450691559"]

Could Kuma push a person's spirit out of their body? Could he push a shadow?

He pushed out the abstract notion of "exhaustion" and "pain" from Luffy's body so... yes.

Kuma's DF is so comically overpowered that, while on one hand I thought he was an awesome character, on the other I hope he never comes back because he would unbalance pretty much everything.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

If this was actually a thing, I wouldn't be surprised if this was how Vegapunk managed to make so many breakthroughs on Devil Fruit research. What better way to study a fruit's powers than being able to isolate and capture the very essence of one?

Or make one with no downside :tinfoil:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Kaidu is Behemoth, the father of all beasts and mythical the strongest of them.

deep space nein posted:

I enjoyed Garp in Marineford because for so many chapters it was fruit users cracking the sky, freezing the oceans, oh here is the mythical unstoppable Phoenix he's going to save... BAM punched in the face

Again I say, I want Garp to throw down on Akainu and kill him down the line. Near the end of the series when Garp finally comes to accept his grandson's ambition.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

quakster posted:

Probably Sabo's role, honestly.

I agree but I'm saying it'd be better if like... Akainu is about to kill Sabo but Garp is like "not this time, rear end in a top hat" and clobbers him.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

It's pretty much the plot of that Adams family movie where Fester returns but he is actually just pretending in order to steal their money and his mother is a bitch.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Infected posted:

Considering how much emphasis was put on Zou being around for a thousand years, I wonder if we'll get some more story concerning the Void Century. The age of the elephant and the whole seclusive tribe deal just give off that vibe to me.

Chances are good, I'd say. If not then a real wasted opportunity.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Caesar exists to force Kaido into concoct with the strawhats to get his fruit factory back up and running.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

The question on everyone's mind: Does Weeble wobble? And if so, does he fall down? More as the story as it develops...

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

deep space nein posted:

They were holding their own against Garp and Sengoku. I thinks it's more that Oda is trying to give Sabo instant credibility. He's Luffys "older brother" so I think by manga law he has to be nearly as strong

It's called the Worf Effect.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Parrotine posted:

It's not too hard to believe when you really think about it; Sabo is Dragon's number 2 in command, who was doing just fine in the New World without his snazzy new Logia fruit abilities. Did you see how he took out that entire arena with a single shot? Dude hits like a locomotive, adding one of the strongest OP abilities on top of that is just cruel.

I wouldn't say his DF is "one of the strongest" except in the sense that it's part of the "strongest" classification of fruits (logia( ignoring mythical zoan which is currently arguably strongest)). It's definitely a strong ability but apparently is hard countered by the magma- man and everybody and their mother uses haki now so the logia invulnerability is not as big a deal as it once was.

I'd say "speed of light" or "restart my heart" or "literally destroy the earth with quakes" are all stronger, among many others.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

KoB posted:

Sabo is the 2nd in command of the Revolutionary Army, of course hes insanely strong. And now hes a Logia.

Exactly. He needed to be instantly shown to be strong and competitive with the big boys. This is accomplished by laying the smack down on am already established strong dude.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

dazoner posted:

I love that Buggy is using his powers to appear larger than life that was brilliant on so many levels

I like how he has founded some kind of pirate delivery company.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

tsob posted:

Can someone explain why Blackbeard is assumed to be the final boss out of interest? I'm kind of assuming it's because he's the biggest rival presented so far for One Piece itself, and most people assume the story will end at Raftel with the acquisition of One Piece. No matter what way I look at it though, I just can't see that happening or Blackbeard being the final boss. I mean, if you look at Akainu he seems much more likely to be the final boss. Blackbeard might have announced himself as a threat by capturing Ace, but Akainu announced himself as a threat by killing Ace, which is a big step up in terms of impact on both the story and Luffy himself. Akainu is the central cause of one of the few losses Luffy has ever suffered in the story, along with Kuma - who isn't really a villain.

I could go on, but ultimately everything I could say about the difference between the two comes down to the fact that while Blackbeard is a mirror to Luffy (a more cowardly and amoral version of him), Akainu is his antithesis as you said, and seems to serve the story better in multiple ways as an antagonist than Blackbeard, because while Blackbeard stands as a rival to Luffy in their pursuit of the ultimate sign of their dream, Akainu stands in opposition of the very existence of that dream in the first place.

If you negate the assumption that the story has to end at Raftel (which is a silly assumption in and of itself in my opinion), then Akainu seems much more likely to be the series' final antagonist.

It's because Blackbeard is Luffy's philosophical mirror that he is likely to be the final boss. It forces more introspection on the side of the strawhats and what they stand for/who they are. Because of that, the showdown with BB bears much more gravitas than one last "punch him til he's down" enemy like Akainu would be. BB's fight concerns dreams and values and is a much more real threat to Luffy than Akainu, who is all self preservation and revenge based in conflict. I just can't see it being final confrontation worthy if Akainu is the final threat to Luffy's dream instead of essentially "Dark Luffy".

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Phone posted:

So when did manga stream start serving up drive by downloads and poo poo?

Yeah it's pretty annoying

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Tellin you people Garp is gonna lay the smackdown on him. Perhaps Akainu will corner Luffy and Company somehow and Garp will step in and be like "I got your justice right here!" as Luffy escapes.

I also like the whole schism in the marines possibility between Akainu and the sane people.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

drjuggalo posted:

smoker will be, coby will be the new chief of commander of the marines or whatever the gently caress that position is

Commander in Chief? Kong currently fills that role and I don't see him leaving. He still has a role to play.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Zoro eats the stair stair fruit and immediately becomes useless because he hates himself

Builds a stairway to heaven. Kills Enel who's chilling on the moon.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Gyges posted:

I thought the main reason was superstition about women on ships. It was totally bad luck and an ill omen.

Probably started after the crew murdered each other to get to them during long voyages.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

I always thought the fruits were weapons and a final gently caress you to the World Government left by their ancient enemies/Will of D guys during the Void Century as a way for people to continue the fight.

That said, being able to feed some guy's dream about a dog to a gun is totally One Piece to a tee.

Almost like the "D" in "Will of D" stands for Devil (ie- enemies of God) and the devil fruits are named that because it's their powers that they used to fight the world government.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

tbp posted:

The first half was legitimately laugh out loud funny

The design for the mink men guys looks like it sucks

1. Draw standard Oda body.
2. Stretch nose, maybe give claws
3. ???
4. Minkmen design complete

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

And then there's Sniper Island.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Jose posted:

i like how they casually left 2 devil fruit users to fall thousands of feet to the ocean

They called up to say they were ok. Surely you're not suggesting there is someone/thing that can mimic voices :rolleyes:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Going with the whole "different levels of similar fruit powers" hypothesis, she could have some kind of fruit similar to Shiki which enables her to levitate/float and redirect herself midair.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Luffy is not an idiot. He's just a free spirit.

He calls people he respects by their real names.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Nami merged with Brooke and is now Elvira.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

I don't really get what is going on in this arc.

Agreed. Like other poster above said, it's almost like pages are missing. I get more and more lost as the weeks go on.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I'd actually prefer a more "mentally strenuous" arc than another punch-man escapade. The time is right for more philosophical plots to emerge.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Still feels like I am missing every other page. It's weird.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Green Intern posted:

So Sanji is definitely captive aboard Big Mom's ship, then?

Or Kaido's, maybe. Giant mammoth seems more his speed.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Wait, so the invaders are from Wano... does this mean the villain of this arc is Samurai Jack? :aaaaa:

Thought they said it was some other kingdom. I don't think they said exactly why they dislike the wano country yet.

I kinda like the "wrap up" events in the beginning, simply to avoid the same formulaic approach the arcs have been doing. Now if only it was a bit more intelligible and had less stalling...

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

RC Cola posted:

Was that a devil fruit power? I never figured that out

No. He's just really good at tying knots ( the ladies love him)

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

One of the leaders of Zou gets super mad at Wano and manages to redirect the elephant to trample Wano to dust. Luffy saves Wano by punching the elephant really hard.

The true purpose for developing his "Elephant Gun" technique.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

I loved the reveal of both that and that the Jack guy the minks where terrorised by was said mammoth. This is such a cool arc. :allears:

I think Jack is actually an ancient zoan eater who can transform into a mammoth.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Unfortunately, Jack and Drake are fighting on the same side.

Unless it's a trick and Drake betrays them.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

RatHat posted:

Speaking of which I wonder if Drake is one of the 3 disasters.

That is all but certain.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

LostRook posted:

If he's a mammoth Zoan where does the drought part come from?

I kind of want him to just be an talking mammoth. No zoan, no minkmen. Just a mammoth.

I think the "drought" thing is more figurative than literal. Wherever he goes he leaves the place an uninhabitable wasteland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

But this is in Korean? :confused:

Here's the English-language Mangastream version anyways:

http://readms.com/r/one_piece/810/3123/1

Good chapter.