Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

I stalled out reading One Piece back in 2010, I think. Got about as far as the Foxy fight. Anyway, since it's been awhile, I'm gonna be rereading the series (rather than just picking up where I left off), and hope it's alright to share my second impressions in here (even though I'm way behind).
Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat. It really is a manga you get a better appreciation for reading a second time tho, I've never reread it and there's just so much little poo poo I'd obviously never put together the first run through. Blew my mind seeing that mermaid and her starfish buddy introduced so early on in the Hachi cover stories, for example...with stuff like that I usually wonder how much of it is forethought and how much of it is just "Oh I need a mermaid, might as well just use this one I had on my old covers to make it seem more meaningful" but being that it's Oda and not Kubo generally I give him the benefit of the doubt.
It's also pretty cool because I only started One Piece ages ago when I was a kid, so there's a lot of poo poo I never really noticed, like Luffy's continual "Oh, so it's a magic _______" lines :lol:

Although even now it's kind of frustrating because given how many characters there are there's a lot of references I'd only get by seeing the dumb comment sections of chapters going "Oh hey, it's that one guy being subtly introduced, we'll see him for real a 100 chapters later!". I'm kind of uneasy given all the complaints I've heard people make about how overcrowded with new/random characters the Dressrosa arc is, considering how hard it was to keep track of people already to begin with and how much I've been looking forward to finally seeing Doffy's big time in the spotlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
ugh, I think I'm at the worst possible point of any One Piece reread, the Davy Back Fight Arc. Just always killed the momentum coming out of Skypiea for me. Gotta slog through this so I can get to CP9. :coolfish:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Petiso posted:

I'll never understand people that claim that One Piece is their favorite series then say the best arc was CP9 and worst one was DBF.
One Piece definitely isn't my favorite series, unless we're talking favorite Shounen series then sure, and I'm not sure I'd call my favorite arc CP9 (gotta catch up first, though I doubt it'll end up being my fave). I do remember not really enjoying DBF, but keep in mind this is my first reread so I haven't actually read DBF in yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars...what with all the people saying it's actually good and way better on the reread my fingers are crossed and mind is open to enjoying this. Maybe I'll love it on the second go.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Amorphous Blob posted:

One Piece is a comic for children and I didn't like how Luffy was the only strawhat for like a hundred chapters and also I didn't care about Ace or the buttload of tertiary characters that were added.
I'm not going to act like I miss it, but I did really enjoy the adventures of Solo Luffy and/or Luffy and Zoro as a duo getting up to antics, even if it didn't last very long.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ummm...I hope the scans I'm reading for the Davey Back fight aren't totally legit cuz that's some racist rear end poo poo Oda puts in Usopp's mouth about why Luffy should choose the afro and kinda clouds the whole LOL AFRO LUFFY SO COOOOL. I know Japan/anime does this a lot, but still :wtf:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Baal posted:

I think scans around the time of Davey Back Fight were more terrible than they are now? What exactly did Usopp say?
These are clearly terrible scans, but if it's even close to the kernel of truth of the original then uhhhhhhhhh

And yeah yeah I know Japan pulls this poo poo a lot and is more racially homogeneous and blahblah but I usually read intelligent seinen series that don't have that sorta poo poo. :shrug: I mean, Killer Bee is better than this
Turning into an...interesting reread...

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Amorphous Blob posted:

I'm still holding out that Gin and Kuro will come back in a big way. I've got a real soft spot for early villains.
Yeah me too, I liked Kuro a lot, it's kind of surprising neither he nor Gin got cover story "what happened after" arcs, though I guess they were more minor and early on...and Gin probably died of toxic gas or something.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was thinking, Nico worked with CP9 because she was scared for the lives of the Straw Hats...but the CP9 plan inherently involves framing the Straw Hats for a crime which they could be captured (pretty easily by an entire city and superhuman carpenters) and executed???
I guess it was the psychological effect/trauma of the buster call manipulating her and maybe she assumed they had a better chance of surviving a battle against the entire city of Water Seven than the combined force of the buster call? Still kinda confused me for a second.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Parrotine posted:

I'm gonna let your opinions on Marinefold slide because Eneru really was one of the best villains. As a reader it kills me that nobody else but luffy and the handful that makes up his crew knows that he took out the most overpowered devil fruit ability user ever.

Admiral Kizaru is just a watered-down Enel, let's be honest here.
Yeah, I love 'em both though. Kizaru's just got such a fun personality/style. You could say Enel's like one of the only One Piece villains to actually accomplish his goal, right? I mean, he made it to the Moon. It's just that he happened to be a psychopath and add other extra goals like "kill loving everyone and destroy Skypiea while I do it".

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wait, was Kaido actually foreshadowed? Trying to figure out if that's supposed to be him at the bottom? It doesn't really look like him at all. Looks more like Kuma kind of. I guess it could be Young Kaido?

I mean I see Shanks, Charlotte, and Whitebeard...

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ah, well, I'm glad Oda went with the design he ended up going with instead then...

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
drat, Cerberus smelling through the fourth wall

it knows we're here

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Totally forgot the chapter Luffy does shrooms and gets a tugjob. Is this Amazon or Amsterdam?
Welp, only 300 more chapters until I catch up, though I feel like my reading pace is going to get slower and slower since everyone says the post timeskip arcs are the worst OP arcs thus far in terms of overall arc quality rankings

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I think One Piece might have the best currency in manga. Though I guess it depends on what the currency in Dorohedoro looks like...

It's funny but one of my favorite parts of the series might actually be the reader question corner, Oda's just such a funny dude and I like whenever he gets caught in a slipup/mistake by a reader and just bullshits an explanation on the fly

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Niddhogg posted:

Would be FAR from the first time this happened:

"[Boa Hancock's] very first published appearance was actually shown on the cover of a 1999 Weekly Shonen Jump. "
Yeah, but he also points out in a reader corner that he ended up changing the character a lot, obviously, and that it wasn't necessarily hyper planning on his part (though Oda is humble). That was just from his collected illustrations and stuff, you see that in Bleach too, like an author drawing character designs that he later uses. It's not necessarily what I'd call forethought, if you get what I'm trying to say.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Niddhogg posted:

I don't think "some person likes sanji a lot because ______ and has the means to make his wanted poster 'Alive Only'" takes a lot of foresight either.
Oh no I'd agree, I wasn't really paying attention to the argument at hand, just talking about the Boa example and pointing out that it's generally kind of a fine line and hard to tell what was actually planned out with foresight.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I like Zoro fights when they're short and samurai-like, like a Kurosawa sort of thing. It's fitting. They should arbitrarily end after a finisher move, it's very samurai movie.

For example, the battle with that zombie samurai guy on Thriller Bark was one of my favorites. Usopp's cool, but I was never really a fan of Nami's clima-tact or w/e at all and I hear worrying things about Usopp leaving his cool poo poo behind and using plants or something?
I guess as long as they're seed bullets, I like the Kabuto. With the clima-tact it just felt so weird and out of nowhere and I don't think I'll ever lose that feeling, it was just like "Oh, Nami, you're good at navigation and sensing changes in the temperature? Here Usopp randomly made you a superweapon and now you're Storm I guess".
I would have preferred going more in the thief theme direction, I don't like a character's main weapon just being something someone else made out of scratch for them.
This is similar to my worry that Brook will always stand out like a sore thumb for me, given that it feels like most of his backstory and character growth already happened and he still kind of just feels like a caricature/outsider to the Straw Hats for me and redundant in some ways at best (a perv like Sanji, a swordsman like Zoro, even if he's a fencer). Of course I'm super not caught up, so I can only assume Brook is built on more as a character, and if he's not I suppose I trust in Oda to do poo poo in that direction at some point.
All the other characters really just got a lot more molding and compelling backstory in the arcs that introduced them, like Nami and Robin. Brook's just felt too neat, "Hey remember that whale?". Zoro maybe not as much but he's had so many more chapters to be fleshed out as a character and I really liked early One Piece where it was just "Luffy and Zoro up to poo poo" (which is why I loved Impel Down, I really just want Luffy on his own stories sometimes, the size of the crew is getting claustrophobic for me). It's probably just a case of Brook being the newest member, but when the likes of Franky and Chopper joined they were already very well fleshed out and had compelling backstories despite being the newest.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 25, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Pshhhhaw, Ace owed Luffy that fist through chest save given he wasted so much time ignoring his Captain's "get the gently caress out of here and live, you're the whole point we're here and everyone's dying" order and he still falls for Akainu's trolljob and spends precious time formally bowing before Whitebeard. You just faced down the collected strength of the entire Marines, maybe there's no time for that stuff. Should've kept running bro, the Whitebeard Pirates just decimated themselves and a shitload of people died just so you'd have that one opportunity but noooo you gotta face down Akainu
Guess that's just Ace tho

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Broseph Brostar posted:

Brook is the cool skeleton pal that makes bone puns, what more do you need?
I dunno, all the other Strawhats seem to have a deeper and more fleshed out connection to Luffy and each other, whereas like you said Brook is just the cool skeleton pal that makes bone puns and not much else. I guess not every member of the crew can be as multi dimensional as it gets larger though

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Should've made Caribou the new crew member instead of Brook...every ship could use a ship priest right?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Well I'm not caught up so I'm not aware of how crazy the world situation is right now but hopefully there's some opportunity for a "calm belt" in the story so to speak, I mean is the plot's momentum like a runaway avalanche right now or might there be opportunity to slow things down and get into arcs that might be focused on one member of the Strawhats like the old days

I'm surging through Fishman Island right now, not sure how many chapters are left in it but it's decent. Better than I expected what with some of the complaints I heard about it. The villains don't particularly thrill me yet (I like the alcoholic and the guy who changes the way he ends his sentences depending on how powerful he's feeling tho) and the setting is just okay but I really liked the Sun Pirates flashback and the connection/filling of blanks back to the Arlong Park arc.
Luffy's whole aversion to being cheered or called a hero feels kind of dumb and random though. I'm not going back to check, but you telling me he's never been cheered or called a hero before? Because he didn't seem to care about any of that with any of the multiple islands, villages, and entire countries he's saved.
Though jeez, Vander Decken IX is the biggest creepo of a One Piece character since the King of Alabasta, the world of One Piece could really use a Chris Hansen

It does feel like Oda's pages are a lot more crowded now though, compared to early One Piece, I like manga with a willingness to explore the beauty of open space (if you know what I'm trying to say? I may not be expressing it right, like Vinland Saga) and not necessarily constantly have dialogue balloons and characters crammed into everything.

p.s. stop being such a poser Brook, laughing at Usopp's awesome Robin impersonation like you've even been around the crew enough to get the joke :argh: there was a two year jump practically right after you joined buddy. I'd like him more if Chopper kept draining his resolve by finishing his bone puns before he could drop the punchline
That whole praying his spirit out of his body thing is fun though

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 26, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I really don't get this whole random dumb out of nowhere "we don't want to be heroes" thing with Fishman Island, like they've saved entire countries and islands and partied with them after and had feasts celebrating them as heroic saviors. Where was this attitude on Water 7? Just feels out of character.

anyway now that I'm done that was a decent arc (and as always with OP all the end of the arc world building stuff was awesome) even if the enemies felt inconsequential (Hody or whatever wasn't even a visually/conceptually cool OP villain for me, which has to be a first...also how the hell is that pedophile Dutchman even alive? C'mon Oda, him dying was a major plot point with the Noah thing...I guess he just "passed out").
It really was just "check out our new powers as we own everyone"' as someone mentioned earlier so that did kill a lot of the tension...but I liked how it wasn't too long of an arc and I liked the Sun Pirates flashback.
I think I missed a lot of the disappointment others felt because Fishman Island was never this big deal I was looking forward to during this reread...like sure they mentioned it a few times and have been meaning to go there but most of that was "oooh I wanna see a mermaid", it didn't really feel super built up ala Berserk's Fairy Island...just a cool future place they mentioned wanting to go to and it was okay/fun enough I reckon. Seeing past Arlong and Jinbe as well as Fisher Tiger was cool and I really like the idea of Jinbe becoming a member of the crew (he's way more interesting, compelling, and multi-dimensional than "I do bone jokes and my dream is meeting this whale we could drive over and meet in a couple days", Brook's fine but he's the kind of gimmicky character you expect to only last an arc and then just get cool cover stories, not become a permanent member of the crew).

p.s. Poor Wadatsumi :(

p.p.s. Pappug is my dude :cool:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Allarion posted:

The thing about the straw hats being heroes is that just sort of incidentally happens. Everything they've done has always been for a friend. If I remember right, them helping Vivi started out as a job before she also became their friend.
Right and he did it for his friend the mermaid princess, tho even motivations aside it's weird to see them afterwards being all uncomfortable with the label hero when they've been celebrated as heroes at feasts before. It's just something you'd think would have come up

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hah it may be cheap entertainment but I'm at the Hazard Punk arc and the bodyswitching is the most fun I've had in a while :lol:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Seriously I'd keep them like this for like two arcs (they could gain valuable skills through the adversity of learning to fight in each other's bodies), the Franky as Chopper facial expressions alone

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

My favorite thing about Punk Hazard is how annoyed Robin gets by Franky in Chopper's body.
It really is the best.

I think Nico Robin might actually be my favorite Strawhat, her character development and backstory provides some of the most memorable story arcs in the series, and one of my favorite badass moments is her refusing to forgive and then punishing that one Sky Priest who desecrated ancient ruins.

:drat:
Just straight up smoked that dude.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I gotta say, it's been a while in my reread where I got to an arc I really truly enjoyed but Punk Hazard is awesome, it's refreshing after the comparative snoozer that was Fishman Island, I may even enjoy it more than Thriller Bark. From all the bodyswitching antics to Zoro's battle against the snow woman to Sanji becoming the temporary marine captain of a bunch of crooked marines (who ask if it's hurting the giant drug addicted children if they aim for their balls and then decide among themselves it's a gray area), to giant children ODing on amphetamines :lol: I also liked lil bits like Zoro bullying Brook. Mocha scarfing up all the candy truly is one of the really sad moments in the series for me. Samurai are cool and every time Luffy popped up out of nowhere to grab or punch Clown was always a good laugh.
Clown and Vergo are pretty compelling villains, I like Clown's personality and stupidity and after Fishman Island it's refreshing to see the crew against actually deadly opponents.
I'm not done with it and I forget what sorts of things I read people saying about it beforehand (like some of the Fishman Island disappointment and New World length/malaise) but it's pretty entertaining so far.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 28, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
:lol: Oda made a mad bomber of government buildings named Abdullah

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It always weirds me out when someone calls Luffy "Monkey"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Bullshit, Vegapunk never did anything, it was all done and done better by Caesar Clown

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I want more fruit that just do weird and random things instead of more animals and "made of this" logia and paramecia so I'm hoping Kaidou has some gimmicky thing related to death that maybe transcends drowning? I dunno, it'd also be cool if he were just fruitless and brutally strong and not a devil fruit user despite amassing an army of artificial ones

The talk of tiny Devils inside of people that sometimes happens in the manga throws me off cuz it reminds me of the great series Dorohedoro

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 29, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
poo poo I'm clambering through Dressrosa trying to catch up, this must have been tedious as gently caress reading weekly (at one point I'm reading people lamenting in the thread that they hadn't seen Brook, Sanji, Nami or Chopper since December 2013 :lol:), even reading it in one rush it's still pretty tedious like "Wait, this feels like the climax but there's like 30 chapters left." and it felt like they were setting up battles for like 40 chapters. So many chapters of "THESE ARE THE PEOPLE PAIRED OFF IN BATTLE AGAINST EACH OTHER RIGHT NOW, NOT THE ACTUAL BATTLES OR ANYTHING, MAYBE A SMALL PANEL OF THEM".
There's so much good poo poo but it's in a sea of other poo poo. This feels like a double album where you're like "drat, this is an okay double album but it could be an excellent normal-sized album with proper editing", though using the analogy here I'm not sure what stuff you'd edit specifically. I'm not done with it yet, the flashbacks and everything involving Doffy are all great, but I never really ended up caring about Kyros or Rebecca (nice chain mail bikini Oda :rolleyes:) no matter how much Oda wanted me to experience the "feels".
Gotta take a break in my reread tbh, Dressrosa is exhausting.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 1, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Cody Banks posted:

Dressrosa was supposed to be Alabasta 2.0 but it was way too cluttered and meandering. Also no one cares about the dwarves/Riku family.
I like Punk Hazard, but yeah I'd say Dressrosa (at least from what I've read so far) wouldn't have the depth of world (so to speak) to be Alabasta 2.0. Even if one were to say Alabasta was as cluttered and meandering (there are people I've seen who don't like the arc :shrug: ), it feels like it has a greater scope/scale to excuse that (visiting the various cities and traveling a lot) and better emotional connections with the people/royal family being saved. Whereas I just spent like seventy chapters in this same single city and it feels like Franky and Senor Pink have been "getting ready to fight"/"kinda fighting in single lil panels" for a billion chapters. Also some of the opponents basically seem to have slightly reworked Baroque Works abilities, which makes them doubly boring. :shrug:
There does seem to be this ideological fixation on Oda among OP fans in some of these past threads where whenever someone brings up say, Rebecca being a lame character with a terrible costume who punks out completely (at least so far) against her mother's killer to become a damsel in distress, the reaction is often like "SHUT UP/HOW'S IT LIKE TO BE OBJECTIVELY WRONG/THIS IS A KID'S MANGA/ODA KNOWS BEST".
Whereas it feels like Naruto and Bleach threads, far more used to mediocrity and failure in their series, are more willing to accept/critique the presence of mediocrity in their series and not assume every recycled face art is a sign that OH MAN ODA DONE IT AGAIN THIS MUST BE MACHIAVELLIAN FORETHOUGHT.
Although now it seems like most people have come around to the weak parts of Dressrosa. This is why I like Punk Hazard, it's not too long and not too brisk. Like even if all these characters get used in some way and become part of Strawhat's pirate armada or w/e it only barely excuses having to spend so much time on them.

Someone please tell me Robin at least gets her second full fight in this arc. :( That's probably too much to hope for. At least Usopp got super memorable/epic moments (well, right after reverting back on a lot of his character development for a few chapters).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Illuyankas posted:

I didn't see Usopp reverting back, rather than changing to what he would have been like if Robin never joined or met them, since his full on cowardice moment started just after she was toyified.
Yeah, I did see people tinkering with that theory but then they realized that trying to rationalize the Sugar amnesia brought up too many confusing ideas, like the woman may have forgotten her husband but not the child by her husband so it seemed more like you may have forgotten the person but not the ramifications/poo poo they did. And just all kinds of other conflicting thoughts that happens when you start overanalyzing a magic ability like that. So people seemed to think it'd be more like "I had a transformative moment and defied the world government...but I can't remember who it was for".
I dunno though. Not caught up yet.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Cody Banks posted:

Punk Hazard was cool except for Zoro getting taken out by a random nobody and the unceremonious ends of Monet and Vergo. Those guys were awesome and I expected them to be bigger players than they turned out to be. :shrug:
I liked their ends at the time as a way to illustrate the relationships between Doffy and his family, it just being refreshing to actually see villains taken out for once, and it dealing such a major early blow to Doffy's plans, but it is true in retrospect that they ended up cooler characters than a few of the other family members we got during Dressrosa.
It really feels like some of the Strawhats had more facets to their personality and more cool/interesting costumes pre-timeskip as opposed to just like becoming one-note representations of their running gags in tiny panels and wearing tiny black cocktail dresses etc. It also feels like Oda's pages were a lot less cluttered/crammed with poo poo as well, people brag about the density of each page and references to this and that and so on but at some point I prefer breathing room. I guess the New World means more ancillary characters and more world politics and less opportunity for Strawhat spotlights/character development but maybe if this is a long Drum Island it'll build up to an arc that'll provide more opportunity for that. Maybe Robin doing something?
Overall though, I'm enjoying Dressrossa and really liked Punk Hazard, they're at least far better than the comparative boredom of Fishman Island and all the complaints I read about Dressrosa really are (I can only assume) more tolerable and digestible when doing it in one run rather than weekly. Still, this was one of the longest OP arcs, right? It really didn't feel like it needed to be. Hopefully there's someone willing to edit Oda.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I gotta say, I found the royal family in Alabasta way more interesting/entertaining/compelling as characters than Gladiator Bikini Girl and Dad. :lol: Like, c'mon.

Especially since on the second reread I discovered...some things...about the King of Alabasta. Nice job helping the Strawhats PEEP ON YOUR DAUGHTER, DUDE.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

Like Vivi's great but I do think not having her join the Straw Hats permanently was the correct decision. Robin's weird quirkiness is a better fit in the long run.
This is true but Robin's so criminally underused these days that it barely seems to matter.
Like, if you introduce so many goddamn characters in an arc that a bunch of the main crew have to be disappeared from December 2013 to whenever they showed up again, maybe cut down on those ancillary characters a bit? Maybe if the Strawhat armada or whatever is that vital you don't need to introduce that many of them in one arc?
Still not done with Dressrosa tho, so what do I know. Only a couple more seeming-climaxes from the actual climax I think. It's simultaneously super awesome and super exhausting.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Parrotine posted:

I'm wondering what the hell Ceasar's purpose is gonna be for the rest of this arc. I thought for sure he'd end up getting ditched one way or another somewhere in Dressrosa or captured by Big Mom so the Straw Hats could escape, but I didn't expect him to outlast Doflamingo of all things

What's your end game here Oda, color me curious
The 10th crew member. :) The ultimate redemption story. Every pirate crew needs a master of biological and chemical warfare, right?
And hey, who didn't like those "grudgingly working together with the good guys" Caesar moments early on in Dressrosa.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Parrotine posted:

He tortured children for years, ain't happenin' bro
The. ultimate. redemption. story.

I'm down with the clown, man. He's a gas. Sure, he turned those children on to the delightful world of adderall ten or eleven grades or so early, but hey- (I don't have anything to add here).

Only if he makes the stache a reality though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Parrotine posted:

If he can make it work, do it Oda.

I'd rather have him than Jinbei, the most boring character in recent memory. That's right you wolves, I'll fight every last one of you over my words, don't hold back now
I'll be even more controversial and say I prefer Jinbei to Brook. The Strawhats already had comical characters, a pervert, a swordsman, etc. And I find Jinbei's backstory, dreams, motivations, flashback story, etc. far more compelling and interesting than Brook (whose narrative arc/development is basically already fulfilled and just wants to at some point in the future meet a whale whose location everyone is already completely aware of and he also just does bone puns, okay fine I guess...I like when the other crewmates bully him at least). He's also had more cool and relevant moments throughout the series/world than Brook, who was mostly just relevant for Thriller Bark and Laboon.
I like Jinbei's straight man role. I completely get why people would find him boring, but I like the whole Yakuza of the Sea motif. It's a necessary one when so many of the Strawhats are becoming exaggerated versions of their one-note running gags (even if that may just be because they often don't have as much screentime and only get one panel to do some signature poo poo), like I guess Robin was the straight man and maybe Zoro kinda was sometimes??, but we could use someone like Jinbei as the comedic straight man for all this goofiness to bounce off of. Similar to Law's role in Dressrosa except I don't really want Law in the crew.
They really need some sort of fishman, I think, even if it's not Jinbei (Dellinger? :3:). Affirmative action, maaaaan.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 2, 2015