Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

TheFallenEvincar posted:

ugh, I think I'm at the worst possible point of any One Piece reread, the Davy Back Fight Arc. Just always killed the momentum coming out of Skypiea for me. Gotta slog through this so I can get to CP9. :coolfish:

Sounds like someone doesn't know about the Brother's Soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Something nobodies going to notice was brought up by someone who speaks Japanese and read the raws.

The guy talking with Lucci about the weapons trade is Kaku. He has the same unique speech pattern where he uses old timey slang.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
They apparently "baptized" every Level 6 prisoner in a giant vat of boiling water. So it wasn't all sunshine and roses down there.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Are you kidding guys? Her fight with Gladius was one of the coolest yet.

Oh wait...

:negative:

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Looks like that fox lady Chopper and crew encounter was one of the Minkmen of Zou. Wonder what makes them different than Zoan fruit users.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

minkmen were on the slave price list way back in saboady too

I think that's the last of the races we've yet to meet. It was longlegs, minkmen, and dwarves that were unseen at the time I think.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

the one minkman we've seen for sure though was sheep themed

Sheepshead was almost definitely a sheep zoan. Either Brook or Sanji directly said something about his "ability."

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Look at you guys using his immature pre timeskip design :rolleyes:

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Edit 2: In a similar vein, apparently neither Shanks nor Garp ever explained to Luffy what Haki was.

Garp was too busy throwing Luffy at tigers to explain Haki to him. Not to mention the fact Garp said his fist was full of love.

And Shanks probably didn't worry too much about the nitty gritty of being a pirate, Luffy's determination is all that he needed to see to let him go off on his own.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

tsob posted:

Didn't CP9 answer the two devil fruit question during Enies Lobby? If you eat two, you explode - the Marines or World Government tested it and that's that. If you want a reason, I assume Jyabura's explanation of the two devil's fighting won't satisfy many, but it's presumably just down to the two being incompatible in how they'd change the body and leave it at that.

Blueno's response to Jabra indicates that there's a little more to it than that. I'd assume whenever we get the reveal of Blackbeard there will be a bit of an explanation as to the two devil fruit deal.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Andarel posted:

What is the fruit radius?

About 300 Devil Devils.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

I did think the one where she just gets changed in the middle of the carriage on Rocket Man was pretty funny.

That works as a gag because Nami isn't doing it to be all fan servicey, she just doesn't give a poo poo about the Galley-La Crew and what they think of her.

Man I loved Paulie being a puritan about women dressing with short skirts. What a goofball.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
It looks like spoilers are already out. Does that mean anything?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Happy Happyist posted:

I may be missing something, but has ANY character mentioned what happened to Caesar when they got to Zou?

Luffy showed up and asked "Hey Gas Guy...well I don't really care about him." So my assumption is nobody cares.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Thunderbro posted:

How could you be annoyed with the arc that introduces Dog Auron??

Also is Duke Dogstorm going to be the person to finally get a peg leg? Who's it going to be? Oda said that only the most legit badasses are going to get the peg leg and eyepatch, can he live up to the hype?

I think it was just the eyepatch he mentioned.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Rocinante wasn't a D. He just guided Law away from Doffy because he didn't want his brother nosing around somebody with the Will of D.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Rohan Kishibe posted:

So uh, is this the highest bounty we've seen so far? I know that translation can sometimes be a bit iffy with multiples of ten, so I want to make sure.

They probably meant 300,000,000, but I don't speak Chinese so I'm not positive.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Is Capone a logia somehow? Seems like he just oozed in when he showed up at the table.

It seems more like he can make a copy of himself in his body. We see his stationary body standing around as he and Sanji discuss business.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Am I the only dork who gets excited when a character names their Devil Fruit after a long period of not really knowing what it is? Most of them are pretty obvious, but it's cool to figure out weird oddball ones like Capone's.

I'm still kind of confused on what exactly Hawkins and Urouge have going on for fruits though.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Do you think it's possible Bege has Observation Haki? It seems like he noticed Nekomamushi even though he was inside of his body.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Movie 6 is great if you want to see what would happen if the Foxy arc was written by someone in a deep depression.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Zoro mentioned Caesar being after Momo but wasn't it just happenstance that he ended up on Punk Hazard? Caesar didn't goad him there or even realize he was on the island I don't think.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Mr. Fowl posted:

What was Moria?

I think it's gecko and also bat. His name is Gecko Moria, and Koumori is Japanese for bat.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
http://readms.com/r/one_piece/821/3325/1

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

I will wait until it finishes before making declarations on its quality

Oda's got a lot of work ahead of him if he thinks he's going to outdo "Duke Dogstorm."

I haven't seen anyone mention the bear on page 17 that's wearing a shirt that just says "BEER!" Magnificent.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Jose posted:

one of them is covered in scars and carries a sword iirc so i hope they can fight

He's a gender-swapped Kuina fresh from an unfortunate stair incident.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
It looks like there are spoilers out for 825, and the most important thing to say is that One Piece will be on break after the latest chapter.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
825 spoilers from some guy. I unno.

Vito reveals the tale behind “Germa 66″
- Germa 66 were a demonic army who clashed with the marines and based on their various confrontations the Navy created famous stories regarding the “Heroes” of the Navy.
- It was an Illustrated Story published in “The World” (An International Newspaper)
- “The brave warrior of the sea who could walk on top of the sea named “Sora”, ROBOT alliance and Seagull (Kanome) duked it out with the demonic army Germa 66″
- There are fans of the story all over world!
- Essentially it was a tale that was made to brainwash the kids with the Navy ideology.
- Sanji is connected to them.
- An assassin from the Capone’s crew named Gotti is angry at Sanji and even Vito can’t stop him.
- A Lola look a like appears (Okami-san) and scolds Gotti for his actions. Even he can’t escape her wrath.

Scratchman Apoo fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 2, 2016

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Of those four comparable fruits I always thought Buki Buki and Supa Supa didn't really match up. Buki Buki encompasses way more than just blades.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

:goonsay: He was actually number 100

I'm guessing that being 0, Reiju is probably the eldest? and then the brothers are 1-4 because of their names.

I'd honestly have expected a parent to have the number 0. But maybe the parents aren't around any more.

The way they've talked about Sanji's dad implies he's still around. He's the one who made it so his poster said "Only Alive" after all.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
One of the cookie people told Gelato Minister not to show cowardice, or else Big Mom would take his life. Is it possible that's a way to avoid her power? She can only suck life out of you if you're afraid?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Begemot posted:

The most obvious example of a place haki could have been introduced but wasn't is immediately before Sabaondy. If anyone in the whole world is going to know about some secret power that's useful for fighting, it would be CP9. But not a single one of them use it, not even the absolute master of assassination Rob Lucci uses armament haki when fighting an opponent where it would definitely be useful.

It seems to me that Oda hadn't nailed down what haki was and what it could do until Kuja island, where it's formally introduced. It retroactively explains a lot of things and hasn't been overused since then, so it's not a big deal.

I agree with your point on CP9, but I think late Water 7 is where Oda was refining some ideas for haki.

After Garp met up with Luffy again, Garp beat the poo poo out of him and Nami made a distinct point to say "Shouldn't punches not hurt him since he's made of rubber?" That line struck me as "DEAR READERS: Something is unique with Garp. Please keep paying attention."

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Shoren posted:

That is interesting. While the electric attack we saw in this chapter could be explained otherwise, I'm curious to see the explanation behind Reiju's power. You can't really handwave sucking poison out of someone as science.

I'm willing to bet Reiju has an actual Devil Fruit. She's clearly some kind of butterfly Zoan whereas Ichiji (or Niji, whichever) seem to have some generic form of Electro. And we already have the electricity man up on the moon.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Crazyeyes posted:

Well, he is supposedly on par with Mihawk and Vista, two of the "greatest" swordsman in the world... I'm sure it will happen.

Also, not that it is really official, this is how that image appears in the anime:

It is very clearly an amber liquor.

:downs:

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

I love his diehard loyalty to Ivankov. That and the fact he's a loving scissor-man who balances a glass of wine on his scissor hands is so top notch.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Eiba posted:

Honestly, it's the reactions of Luffy and Nami that make it seem like it's more severe than running away. If she was running away, Luffy would probably be happy, and suggest she come with them or something. But they're horrified. She's either going to kill herself directly, or do something unforgivable to Big Mom.

They just heard that Big Mom wanted Lola to be murdered for her marriage abandonment. It's possible that they're putting two and two together to realize how bad Pudding has it if Big Mom catches her.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I have one spoiler for everyone, and I don't think anyone will mind if I don't tag it.

No break next week!

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Whoever came up with the theory that Kaido ate a dragon zoan is almost definitely right. Otherwise all that weird build-up with Kinemon discussing his hatred for dragons wouldn't mean anything.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Gyges posted:

Kinemon's boy liege lord ate a dragon zoan fruit.

An artificial one that makes him a Chinese dragon. I think that leaves enough room for Kaido to be an official dragon Zoan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

BrownClown posted:

A couple of things from this chapter:
- Big Mom specifies that Pudding needs to achieve a "true opening." So either a) Pudding has, and has not revealed that (or erased it from Big Mom's memory), or b) she has not yet, and the scenes where her eye is open aren't a "true opening."
- Pudding also wants to talk privately to Big Mom, so I'm guessing she's going to use her powers on her next chapter.

Pudding didn't want to blow her cover in front of Brook, he still thinks she's a good person.