Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The Sunny's chained to one of Zou's legs. :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

It could be a kilo-kilo/ton-ton fruit situation. Similar but different powers.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Jose posted:

So what relationship to sanji's family do people think brook has?

The Vinsmokes killed IMPORTANT_PERSON leading to his exile/resignation and him becoming a pirate.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Jose posted:

if the celestial dragons would ever be at risk of reprisal they wouldn't act the way they do

They're free from reprisal from "common" people and nobles but other Celestial Dragons are probably a completely different story. People like them are never happy with the amount of power they have so I imagine that Mariejois is a cesspit of backstabbing and intrigue; with various families jockeying for power and favor over each other. Sure, the Charlosses and Mjosgards are a bunch of inbred morons but every family probably has at least one Doflamingo pulling the strings. A family of non-government assassins would find a lot of work there and have a lot of pull as a result.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I admit, Game of Thrones: One Piece edition is something I'd watch.

One of the guys on the podcast introduced Oda to GoT and he's apparently a huge fan now.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

What podcast?

http://onepiecepodcast.com/

Some pretty big names on it including the lead One Piece translator for VIZ.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Duval or Killer, IMO.

Smoker is the Boba Fett of One Piece.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

In situations like these , I believe these only appropriate thing to say is "you got zouned"

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

On a more serious note, I like how Zunisha and Jack have the same shading over their eyes. I wonder if there's any connection between Zunisha and Jack's Devil Fruit.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I want to know who or what was strong enough to subdue and bind Zunisha forever :stonk:.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Can't wait to see how Toei fucks it up :v:.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

She seems to have a bit of a hare-trigger temper.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

dordreff posted:

mangastream no

I think Luffy's having a stroke.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Oda's planning to have his tonsils removed so there may be some delays in the future.
http://onepiecepodcast.com/2016/07/20/eiichiro-oda-addresses-health-concerns-one-piece-newspaper/

Edit: Never-mind I misread the interview.

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 21, 2016

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Nilbop posted:

Holy poo poo do I want Sanji to beat his family to death.

I want him to rearrange their faces to look like Duval Classic and/or Wanze.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Far left is Praline. Far right might be Chiffon.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Crocodile and Moria were never really rivals to the Emperors. They were just another couple of hotshot rookies who suddenly found themselves in way over their heads.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Begemot posted:

I'm glad to hear that Pekoms is okay. Somehow I had never considered that there was a fishman around who could easily save a devil fruit user from a watery grave. I'm glad Sanji just straight up explained why he can't leave, it drives me crazy when characters in situations like this just say "you don't understand, I can't" or whatever. I can't wait to find out how Capone and Caesar fit into this.

My guess is Capone's been gunning for Mama's head the since before he joined and the timing of his coup just happened to coincide with the Stawhats' arrival. Caesar, on the other hand, just made some astoundingly poor life choices.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I started reading during the Marineford arc and caught up around the time Ace died. Before that my only exposure was the 4Kids dub which is probably why I waited so long.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Ubiquitus posted:

You're implying that Doflamingo wouldn't notice Absalom sneaking around when he has observation haki? Highly doubtful.

Knowing Doflamingo he noticed him but didn't care enough to stop him. He clearly thought the whole thing was hilarious when he was talking to his WG handler.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I gotta hand it to Bege, it take balls to try and pull off an assassination with a guy like Mr. Potato Head around.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

I think there will be a fight but I don't think it'll be a big one. I think they'll fight a bit but something will interrupt it or put a halt to it.

I agree but I don't think they'll fight again in the future. I think when an Emperor falls there'll be a lot more build-up and a sense of "epicness" that isn't really present here as rad as it is. It feels like we'll get a dust up but not a full on battle imo.

When I saw the box go over the edge I thought, "What if it explodes at the bottom and brings the chateau crashing down?" That would give Luffy and Co an out.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I think Pudding’s move with the homies is going to end up being the most important part of this chapter since it establishes that souls can contain memories that the mind doesn’t. It seems pretty obvious now that the Strawhats’ conflict with Big Mom is going to end on Elbaf but I couldn’t figure out why she would be there. If she was going to try and conquer the place should would have done so decades ago. Instead, she’s been treating it with kid gloves, most likely due to her fond childhood memories of the place and her belief that she could eventually make them like her again. But what if Pudding awakens Big Mom’s soul’s (or, if we want to get really crazy, Mother Caramel’s) memories of the night she burned down the village and the moment where she ate Mother Caramel? It wouldn’t have to be intentional; I doubt Pudding knew exactly what memories her attack was going to dredge up in the homies. Knowing that the Giants will never be able to forgive her and never let her back in would likely drive Big Mom to invade the country because she’s an enormous womanchild who can’t let things go.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

I know it looks badass and all but given the way Brulee's powers work they should still be able to pass through the mirror shards just fine.

I think the mirror needs to be large enough for you to climb through.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm like, half catching up, kind of...not really...because apparently things get better after Dressrosa and Fishman arc and I just chose the two worst/most bloated arcs to dip out on...so can someone explain...why exactly they just keep waiting...and waiting...and waiting to execute the Vinsmoke family, ensuring that they're able to be saved? It's some James Bond villain poo poo but makes even less sense. Katakuri says multiple times SHOOT THEM NOW and it's not like he's being a worrywart nuisance cuz the members of the Big Mama Pirates can SEE AROUND THEM that multiple people are fighting to stop their plan...
I'm mostly just skimming and wikia diving so I thought maybe there was some in-text reason I missed or maybe you find out in a later chapter. I hope it's not just "Uhhhh Candy Guy is Dumb" because it feels like such a plot contrivance that didn't even need to exist. like for a dude who's terrified of the consequences of failing Mama it makes no sense.

Letting the marriage go through first makes Big Mom's eventual takeover of Germa 66 much easier. Not only are they an organization, they're a World Government member state and the Navy would (I assume) be obligated to respond to a complete takeover by one of the Emperors. A highly publicized :bignews: wedding between the two families lets the World Government ignore the assassinations by claiming that Germa had forfeited their position, thus avoiding a war that neither side wants. It also gives Pudding a legitimate, if shaky, claim to the throne as Sanji's "widow", making it easier for the people of Germa 66 to rationalize following Big Mom and potentially helping with whatever weird indoctrination the clones have.

Also Big Mom is an extremely theatrical person.

Edit: poo poo, I thought you were asking why they didn't assassinate them before the wedding.

You Can Call This Super Edit 2!: The theatricality of the Charlottes still stands.

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 19, 2017

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I assume she'll get more attention if the Big Mom Pirates show up for a second arc. There's a bunch of folks who Luffy and company have barely interacted with.

At this point I don't see the Big Mom showdown happening anywhere other than Elbaf so Smoothie has lots of time.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I want Brook and Mont-d'Or to have a mind-bending illusion fight.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

The dwarves knew because Kyros told them about it and they're incredibly gullible.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

"Oh god I left the oven on."

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I love the panel where they announce they're there to save the country. They're trying so hard to look heroic and they just can't pull it off.

fake edit: found it

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I don't think so. Every other time he's pulled something like that we'd seen him or his crew skulking around beforehand. Him showing up out of the blue would feel really contrived.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

lowercase16 posted:

^ cosigned

Such a good chapter.

I can't exactly say that Chopper finally got to do something, since it was just a guard. But I can say that this is the first time I've seen Guard Point and thought that it looked like it loving hurt.

He tanked a hit like the one that almost killed Bege in his Big Father form, I'd say that's pretty impressive.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Oda's done a great job of making her feel like an unstoppable force.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

oddium posted:

why does it say Flanpe

Because that's how Oda wrote it. Viz's translator wasn't sure if it was intentional or not so he translated it literally.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

oddium posted:

so is it Flampe or Flanpe or Flambe

:shrug: I'm sure it'll be cleared up in the volume release. I'm just going off what the translator said on this week's podcast.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I think you're underselling Cracker a bit. Someone who loses a battle the moment their power is countered doesn't end up as one of the top fighters in an emperor's crew.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Is King Tacos supposed to be Danny Trejo?

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I wonder who else besides Sabo is there to cause trouble at Reverie.

Stelly said he saw Morley and the crows are probably Karasu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I can't wait for Charloss to get punched in the face again.