Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

GodFish posted:

I too once thought the Davy Back Fight was bad. Then I read it again and knew better. The Davy Back Fight is much better on a reread.

I didn't even remember it the first time, I reread the whole series last month and I can't emphasize how bad and jarring it was the second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

Roger couldn't read them but didn't need to, he had a weird ability that poo poo just talked to him without any effort on his part. He could even understand Sea Kings (like Luffy, who probably shares the entirety of this ability)

This literally makes no sense, if that was the case there would be 0 reason for Robin to even be a character.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Shoren posted:

You're right, I misinterpreted that, but still, I disagree. By that logic, Zoro's role is redundant because Luffy is also really good at beating things up. While Robin can read poneglyphs, it's not her whole purpose for existing. She's an archaeologist who wants to learn the world's history, not just read all the poneglyphs. I don't recall Luffy ever actually hearing a poneglyph, but even if he did would he or the crew understand it? Robin's been the one explaining a lot of this stuff to the crew so she's absolutely needed if Luffy is going to surpass Roger.

So she's somehow going to learn the world's history by not reading poneglyphs? She doesn't really contribute in fights anymore, she is great for occasional comedy but the crew themselves get less out of that than we do since a lot of those recent comedic interactions weren't even stated out loud.

Zoro is redundant because Luffy is magically going to beat up every single character in opposition to him in One piece? If that's the case pretty much 7/8ths of the manga is redundant. Analogies are cool, when they work.

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 10, 2016

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I find it really confusing that everyone is brushing off CoC like its become irrelevant. It's not currently relevant, but it has clearly been set up as a plot tool to unravel the Will of the D, which is clearly the main story.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

tsob posted:

Big Mom/Mam might eventually decide she wants an alliance, but there's not a hope in hell that Luffy will want to accept it if she does propose one.

I re-read the fight just in case I'd missed something, but unless the original Japanese suggests that he could only do that cannonball move because he was after eating so much then I don't think so, because the translation certainly doesn't suggest it. He already has a name for the transformation as well as the move, and just appends "full" on to the transformation as a once off variation and acted like he already knew exactly what he was doing, suggesting he's practiced that cannonball move and knew that he could make his body in to weird state that is both hard and soft at once.

The problem Luffy had re-reading the fight is that he didn't know how to get through all the mooks to hit Cracker, not that he wasn't strong enough to finish it if he could. What Nami did isn't even really a solution, since all it did was provide a different method for getting rid of the biscuit men, resulting in an 11 hour stalemate that frustrated both of them in different ways, but Luffy had already shown he could easily smash through the biscuit armor at full hardness using Gear 4th - even if Gear 3rd wasn't enough to do the job. Destroying the biscuit men physically didn't mean anything though because Cracker could just reform them. At the same time eating them didn't do anything besides frustrate both because Cracker could seemingly make infinite new ones. Even if Luffy had just kept destroying them instead of eating them then they'd probably both end up frustrated and at the same point eventually, since eating them didn't prove anymore effective than destroying them.

What Nami did acted as a temporary solution to Luffy however, since he assumed Cracker would run out of biscuit men eventually and eating them meant he didn't have to try and find another work around to get to Cracker. As soon as Cracker attacked directly, Luffy punted him off and even asked Nami to hold off on what she'd been doing so that he'd hit his own biscuits that bit harder on his way out.

It's cool to see Nami and Luffy team up to fight someone, but there's nothing suggesting that both had to be there to win that fight. It's even possible Nami could have done it alone if pushed given she could take away the hardness of Cracker's biscuits and almost make them melt using just rain - and she certainly has more than just rain up her sleeve. Just because neither is necessary to win the fight doesn't mean the fight is any less fun though, because both were clearly not being pushed all that hard given Nami spent the whole thing bullying allies from a tree perch while Luffy seemed to only be frustrated by how to hit the enemy rather than if he could finish him.

This fight is basically the Satori of the arc. A fight that Luffy struggles with for circumstantial reasons and that doesn't really reflect his true strength, with him stepping up against the major enemy. He had a similar struggle against Lucci in Water 7, before stepping up once that circumstantial reason was cleared away. There's probably other similar fights too.

Yeah I feel like this is pretty obviously a bait post, but I'll bite anyway.

I don't know how much you've smoked today to come to the conclusion that Nami could beat him herself, but w/o the homies she would have been skewered before the fight even started. Who cares if she makes biscuits soft if she can't keep up with Cracker? Pretty reductionist theory you're positing, implying a yonko's top three is going to be defeated by someone who has almost negligible physical skills.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Seems all the signs point to a Pudding suicide? She is clearly staring at how far down the drop is from her balcony when in the rain, and Sanji's change of heart in marrying her will cause a more poignant loss for him if she dies too.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Why would Big Mom go out of her way for an alliance like that?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

gnome7 posted:

Just because the Germa are weak doesn't mean they aren't useful. They have strong political ties throughout the world, and also a cloning program, and Big Mom cares a lot about both of those things.

So you're saying Oda wasted innumerable panels setting up the Germa as a strong force and a major player only to turn them around as a plot device for Big Mom to use in the future at some unknown point? The only time in the story that Oda has allowed Luffy to fail was when it was useful to bump his power level, and that was precipitated by great loss. The SHs losing significant crew members here to advance some greater plot line doesn't seem likely, I don't see how that theory would be plausible.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Lpzie posted:

lol at the people in this thread doing mental gymnastics

It's pretty funny.

What's the point in Oda wasting so many panels characterizing Pudding as sensitive and empathetic through flashbacks and other panels to waste this by dumping her as "just evil"? Hell she was even crying as she was leaving Luffy and Nami. I could see a split personality or some weird nuance with the third eye, but otherwise it doesn't mesh.

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 23, 2016

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Double posting like a scrub.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I could *maybe* see Luffy beating a yonko at full strength + some strange matchup advantage, but realistically he just got done fighting for what? Half a day? Against Big Mom's best subordinate, and he needed help to beat him.

Luffy beating Big Mom in a fight would only make sense if he got help from every other shmuck that isn't part of Big Mom's crew, but the build up so far of how powerful the 4 emperors are would be wasted if he beat her starved and already half dead.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Everyone seems to be basing Luffy outright beating Big Mom based on him dropping Doflamingo and fighting Issho to a standstill, but Issho demonstrated on multiple occasions his lack of desire to really go after Luffy. I'm still very skeptical he can take out an admiral or yonkou on his own, but at this point we are just rehashing the same subject. Just gotta wait.

I'm still curious what part Dragon has to play, we've heard so little from him in such a long time, tying that story thread off by having Blackbeard take him out off screen is very anti-climatic. Here's to hoping he makes some appearances and wrecks some poo poo with w/e weather fruit he has.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Seriously Skypeia was such a dope arc

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 26, 2017

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

The perspectives and point of view of the panels has drastically improved this arc.

I don't know how or why they decided to utilize different angles from previous iterations of the manga, but gottdamn some of the panels display emotion at such a more poignant clip than they used to before. Super impressed

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

DrakePegasus posted:

OP Thread 14: GIS Big Mom Bone Rubbing

Winner

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

So how does everyone see the Big Bads going from here on?

Mom ---> Kaido ---->Edward Weevil --------> Buggy maybe? ---------> Blackbeard

I'd drop Akainu/Gorosei at the end, I don't think Weevil is going to be an arc villain, I do expect him to take out someone.

Buggy isn't a part of fighting Luffy, if anything he helps him somewhere downstream.

I'm more interested in whether Blackbeard actually knows Haki? He got hosed by Magellan, and I can't see that happening if he knew Haki. He always gets chumped by people stronger than him physically, like WB. He seems extremely over-reliant on his DF powers, if he nullifies Luffy's rubber powers, then Haki has to be the equalizer. Unless Luffy has some weird Awakening already, but I just can't imagine a rubber awakening that would stop a darkness/quake awakening.

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 14, 2017

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Reiche posted:

No, Doflamingo said he disappeared into thin air which was definitely Abasalom saving him with his invisibility power. He's still out there somewhere

You're implying that Doflamingo wouldn't notice Absalom sneaking around when he has observation haki? Highly doubtful.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Gyges posted:

God needs a rest every 7th day. It's only fair Oda takes one every 30.

I'm pretty sure Usopp rests enough after all his lies already.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Anyone checked out Monster? A bit of a deviation from Shonen stuff, but truly a wonderfully written work of art

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Well I was wrong before, so I got nothing to lose now. My bets on Pudding not actually firing her gun at the right time, given those last panels.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

actually Pudding is good but she rewrote her memories to brainwash herself into being evil so Sanji wouldn't have second thoughts in rejoining his crew

Hope springs eternal. Or basically until the wedding chapter when it evaporates into a puff of gastino smoke

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Does anyone think Big Mom will be dealt with in this arc?

I've been loving the breakneck pace of this arc (especially after the slog that was Dressrosa), but I think a Yonko should require more time and effort devoted to their downfall. Hell, Luffy doesn't even have most of his crew with him.

It would be a massively deflating turn of events for me if he beats her outright. The combination of Brooke + Nami nullifying her clouds and then him beating her up may be feasible, but I am skeptical of anything past that. I sure hope they don't beat her straight up though, as you said it marginalizes the build up

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Kirios posted:

How did Bege turn into an amazing character.

HOW?! He was the least interesting of the worst generation.

Eh I still don't find him very compelling, the other rookie mooks all tried to assassinate a yonko (and failed). His fruit is OK, but doesn't strike me as overpowered in any way.

I don't expect him to do much, other than occupy some of Big Mom's fighters.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

An important thing to remember about Bege is that he's both an offensive and defensive powerhouse. His fruit doesn't just give him the firepower of an army, but also shrinks any incoming attacks. Fighting him is like fighting a mountain in a pinstripe suit, and that's even before you consider the perils of ending up inside his body when he doesn't want you there.

Guy seems like he's comfortably on the same tier as Law, at least.

What? Law was a Shichibukai, not to mention his ridiculously OP fruit.

There seems to be a fairly recurring theme that physical prowess in One Piece is tied to physical appearance (note Bege's lack thereof), and with this big mafia family and lack of accolades (it was hinted he basically assassinated a lot of people), suggesting they are on the same level is somewhat preposterous.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

If Bege had minions worth a drat I'm sure he would already be higher than "a middle of the road underling in Big Mom's army".

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Never speak of docking again . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2ULlRqI7nc

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

First off, everyone who said Pudding wouldn't be redeemed suck it.

Second, with Big Mom out of the picture, what stops her from being a strawhat? NADA (not that I think that;s a good idea, I still want carrot)

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

tbp posted:

i dont really get this. as a child he was tortured, crucified, shot at, humiliated. then he was taken in by a manipulative gang that built up his hatred while making him feel that he was owed something. he's a horrible dude but you can see why he ended up that way

I think he is referring to the fact that Doflamingo was portrayed as evil even before any of the bad stuff happened.

This is One Piece so we can't claim a genetic issue or psychotic disorders, but :shrug:

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's not even that Shanks is missing an arm, they'd have no problem with that, it's that Shanks is missing his dominant/sword arm and so is no longer the absolute best swordsman he can be, thus at this point the fight is no longer actually a worthy duel between equals, and any victory wouldn't be "earned". Also I suspect that Shanks doesn't have territory of his own, or if he does it's near the back-end of the New World simply as a blocker to keep people from reaching Raftel if they get past all the other nonsense.

Honestly i think Shanks might just float around as he pleases in the New World, throwing parties wherever he goes and using the fact that he's the strongest user of Conqueror's Haki we've seen so far to keep most people/organisations from attacking him. Basically he makes a living being the most unpredictable but least dangerous Emperor to know/meet.

Pure speculation is always cool. Some people opt for some creativity in it though, to make it interesting

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Yeah and it makes sense logically, Luffy saved Zoro from death when he didn't even know him, and no one gave a gently caress about him

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

anime was right posted:

bullies like you are the reason chopper has low self esteem!!!

Shut up you bastards that won't make him happy!

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I think the picture is actually of Big Mom's mother, just with her soul inside.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Crazyeyes posted:

The whole point of Dressrosa was to establish characters for the future. Sabo is back, Luffy went from an upstart pirate to a real contender with an entire fleet of pirate crews under him like Whitebeard, BB's crew is going after the revolutionaries, there is obviously growing dissension in the ranks of the military with Fujitora openly acknowledging the Strawhats saved the island and apologizing to kings for military gently caress-ups, the take down of Doflamingo only matters because of his connection to Kaido, and it introduced Reverie, which is going to be a big deal down the line (hopefully soon).

A lot happened all at once and it would have been better to spread it all out, but it all had to happen to set up some key points of the endgame.

That doesn't take away some very glaring plot points and poor pacing.

Bird cage was straight up retarded, it broke basically every tenet of power in the story.

Kyros and Rebecca became useless and boring after strong introductions, wasting large parts of the arc.

Half the Straw Hat crew did nothing in end fights, wasting multiple chances to build up their characters.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

It's also not just the one panel but Robin's refusal, and the subsequent reactions, to partake in Pirate Docking 6 is definitely up there

This was mine too

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Animal covers are great. They provide context and flesh out characters you may not see in those situations otherwise, and little kids get their ideas in a manga

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

It still boggles my mind. . . He fought cracker for 12 hours and couldn't beat him without heavy direct help from nami, why in the world any of you thought he was suddenly going to throw down big mom and all her cronies out of nowhere wothout zoro makes no sense.

"Omg its a shonen manga the protagonist has to unequivocally beat everyone all the time"

Spare me the contrived arc endings after dressrosa. One piece has been fairly organic up to this point, its one of the series strong points and I'd rather that trend continue than some stupid low hanging fruit forced knock out.

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 7, 2017

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Kild posted:

I wonder how all these people going of course he'd run away would feel if he ran away from Lucci.

That wasn't a standalone comment . . . it was contained within the context of beating a yonkou being on a higher and more difficult plane. They also had the whole crew at Enies Lobby.

They have Sanji now, and they clearly can't fight everyone. I could see a 1% chance of the chateau split somehow giving Luffy a 1v1 fight with Big Mom, but it seems early for awakening.He just unveiled g4

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 7, 2017

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

Awakened Luffy will ask the people of the world to lend him their energy as he creates a giant rubber ball to bounce Enel back to the moon

Just what one piece needed. . . More dbz.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

God imagine another marineford like battle, my body is ready Oda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

More power to you in how invested you are in answering these forum posts tsob, but I stopped reading when you suggested the reader doesn't care if Big Mom massacres her own troops.

Of course they care, it directly affects the protagonists getting away and probably lowers her military might if they meet again.