Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So the Straw Hats now have no less than three Shichibukai in their pockets. Wonder if they'll be recruiting any more? Mihawk seems like a big no - he's friendly, but only because he and Zoro like testing each other as antagonists, and actively fighting alongside them seems like missing the point. Kuma would be a good fit personality-wise, and would be easy to bring back (Vegapunk has a backup copy of his personality lying around - there, done), but he's so hilariously overpowered that he'd be extraordinarily difficult to write around. Maybe we might see his mind in the body of a regular Pacifista? Crocodile's just too much of a Bond villain, even if they've had an alliance of convenience in the past. Buggy's a no-go - his whole thing is being Luffy's likeable sad-sack evil counterpart, and he's far more likely to end up as the Whitebeard to Luffy's Gol D. Roger. Moria actually seems like a surprisingly reasonable option, though - his power is high-tier but not invincible (and is significantly hampered if he's working as a good guy), making him at least possible to write for, and he could easily pull a Bellamy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Budget Prefuse posted:

im genuinely shocked something is happening with sanji plot wise

I'm not. I mean, he was specifically sent off during the Dressrossa arc to lead half the Straw Hats on a separate adventure. I mean, if not the details, folks should've at least seen the generalities coming.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tbp posted:

who was that above blackbeard in the emperor pic? big mom?

Yep. The nose looks right, and it can't be Kaidou because he's right next to her with the horns.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Whoever is there has to get through Sengoku, Fujitora and Otsuru.

Especially Fujitora, who could literally make the drat ship fly if he wanted to. Or drop a meteor on the enemy ship.

Or make the enemy ship fly for a short but very important space of time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyges posted:

With Ivankov around gender doesn't really mean much. Luffy's mom could be a dude now. Hell, Dragon could technically be Luffy's mom from a temporary fit of Ivankov fancy.

Dragon and Ivankov are Luffy's dad and mom. Or mom and dad. Or mom and mom. It's no big deal.

Silver2195 posted:

Except Ivankov didn't know Dragon had a family.

It isn't a proper Revolutionary Army party if you remember the whole thing.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 25, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Don't bet on it

Shiki is a movie exclusive villain that had a throwaway line in one panel outside of chapter 0 to help promote the 10 (?) year anniversary film. He had his time in the sun, got chumped at the end, he's out of the picture for good.

Also, unlike most One Piece villains, there's decent odds on him being dead. He got kicked through a floating continent into the ocean, switching off his Devil Fruit powers, and when the Marines thought they'd spotted him and moved in for a capture, it turned out that it was just the Straw Hats using his flag as a parachute.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyges posted:

In secret level 6 you just hang out in your cell, bored and shackled to the wall. The other 5 levels are full of torture. Once you pass the entrance torture hazing you just get bored and talk to other super notorious guys in other cells.

Sometimes the warden comes down and gets pissed so he sprays the place with poison, but that's pretty rare. Even if there's an escape attempt they just douse the place with knock out gas.

I think the idea is that spending your life with the sorts of maniacs who end up in Level 6 is way worse than anything else they can do to you. Especially since, IIRC, you have to... uhh... make your own food.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Baal posted:

I hope whenever it gets around to Mihawk's fight that he's just really loving strong and that's it

I'd assume that as a given. I mean, Zoro is walking his path, for a start.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

this is absolutely the case like almost all swordsmen we've seen in the series

kaidou could be half giant or something hence the strongest creature

edit: bit late on that mihawk bit

You see the shape of his mouth in the latest chapter? Guy totally has some Oars family blood in him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

Kaidu is Behemoth, the father of all beasts and mythical the strongest of them.

Again I say, I want Garp to throw down on Akainu and kill him down the line. Near the end of the series when Garp finally comes to accept his grandson's ambition.

Sakazuki's been getting an increasing number of humanising moments, even if he's still a giant rear end in a top hat. He'll get a beatdown, sure, but there's a vague possibility of redemption afterwards. On the other hand, I can see Borsalino going off the deep end like an Olympic diver. That guy is just not right.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, we saw him covering for Fujitora in order to keep the World Nobles off his back despite getting into a giant screaming match with the guy. He does seem to honestly respect differences of opinion within the Marines' officer cadre, and much of his nastier behaviour seems to be motivated by a sincere fear of the chaos and destruction that he believes the World Government is holding back rather than active sadism. He's a brutal, appalling war criminal, but he's no Dolflamingo or Enel.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I'd be surprised if that's Lola - she was a pretty decent, moral sort despite her eccentricities. Maybe a relative?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

I wasn't expecting the Seventh Warlord to be a joke character since we already got Buggy the literal Comic Relief.

I'm betting on a similar seriousness-silliness balance to Hancock. Weeble is both deeply weird and a devastatingly powerful mass-murderer.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

God drat, Sabo must've done a loving number of Jesus if he only just managed to wake up now. I mean, the ease in which Sabo dominated against Jesus really knocks down the supposed power of the BB pirates a peg. Granted, they probably have tricks up their sleeves. But still.

Being relative weaklings with nasty tricks up their sleeves is basically the Blackbeard Pirates' thing, isn't it? Remember how they took out Whitebeard?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wait, so the invaders are from Wano... does this mean the villain of this arc is Samurai Jack? :aaaaa:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LostRook posted:

If he's a mammoth Zoan where does the drought part come from?

I kind of want him to just be an talking mammoth. No zoan, no minkmen. Just a mammoth.

Kaido's whole thing is weird Zoan fuckery. I would be very unsurprised if his senior lieutenants can somehow double-fruit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Profoundly hyped for Sanji and Caesar's Big Adventure.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Capone is pretty personally formidable as well. Being able to shrink anything in close enough proximity to him means that he hits and takes damage like a freaking mountain.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So the crew is up against a guy with the Fort-Fort Fruit. It's only a matter of time before Luffy awakens his Fruit. Conclusion?

Capone's going to get turned into a motherfucking bouncy castle. :getin:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Plausible theory - Pudding turns out to be ugly as gently caress (and possibly either Lola or an okama) and Sanji is initially horrified, but they end up bonding and he's genuinely torn and upset when the time comes for him to leave with his crew. Heartbreaking parting scene follows, possibly leading to cameos throughout the rest of the manga's run and the implication that he'll settle down and open a restaurant with her (or they'll both go pirating together) once the Straw Hats have found One Piece.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's still a little ambiguous how old she actually is. That could get a mite weird.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shoren posted:

If Crocodile hasn't awakened his fruit then I don't think you can do it with logia fruits. The only thing we really know about an awakened paramecia fruit is that you can affect your surroundings and not just yourself (i.e. turn buildings into string and control them). There's gotta be more to it than that because Luffy turning things around him into rubber isn't exactly riveting stuff.

You kidding? That offers a boatload of freaky/cool possibilities. Hell, it's pretty much the grounds for an entire Devil Fruit power in its own right. Just look at the options opened up by Diamante's fruit, for instance, if you want a preview of powers that operate off altering the properties of objects.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Straw Hats versus Red Hair would be a really fun arc simply because it would be a battle between two sides that genuinely like and respect each other, and are going all-out because of that respect. So there's still tension, because the Straw Hats still have to prove themselves against some of their mightiest foes to date, but there'd be this pretty great feelgood tinge to it all that you usually only see in sports shows rather than fighting shonen. :3:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dazoner posted:

So, I am up to the Alabasta saga in my re-read, drat, Crocodile really is a huge piece of poo poo. He was arguably worse than Caesar Clown.

It's interesting how a bunch of One Piece bad guys seem to borrow from different genres. Croc, for instance, was basically the series's first Bond villain.

Speaking of, you guys got any faves from the early OP arc villains? Personally, I have a soft spot for Wapol. He was just this great, entertaining on-page presence, with a delightfully wacky superpower that Oda really made the most of.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dordreff posted:

Captain Kuro Wants A Quiet Life

He'd make an excellent wife.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Man with Hat posted:

Can't say I'm surprised, to be honest. I was expecting him to be on Zou but hidden away so that the Minks didn't know about it or at least so that only the leader people knew about it. Everyone knowing about it and keeping quiet is a bit too big to seem real, to be honest, but it's a comic so whatever

Plus, they're not human, so superhuman loyalty can be even more plausible as a thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Yeah, I'm estimating that from here on out even the regular citizens will be :zoro: as hell down the to last man, woman, and child.

Wano will probably be a country full of bad-asses ruled by an invulnerable despot.

e: What are the Franky Family people reacting to exactly? Franky helping to overthrow Doffy? Or his earlier Vegapunk Lab shenanigans?

The bounty picture. It shows the Franky Shogun. That's... quite a thing even by the standards of his usual inventions.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

brainSnakes posted:

I thought the gag was since it's his bounty poster, they think General Franky is Franky legit, having finally gone all cyborg.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Hell of a thing to have as your bounty poster.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

The first 700-something chapters are available in full color.

It's how I read them on my initial marathon after discovering it was a possibility. It was pretty fun, and definitely made that busy panelwork way more comprehensible.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Read the last few chapters, weird that Zou owes allegiance to a mere daimyo of an isolationist country

Not that weird. This is One Piece. Pretty much everyone has a life-debt to everyone else because their ancestors were totally wonderful and badass to each other.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Begemot posted:

Pluton was built in Water 7 during the void century. Tom inherited the plans because he's a great shipwright not because he's a fishman.

Then he gave them to Franky who burned them so it's pretty much gone forever.

Unless you buy the theory that the Thousand Sunny is Franky's take on Pluton. Which is pretty plausible.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shoren posted:

If the location is as depicted by the example, then yes, they could get by with just 3. Since the "shape" is a quadrilateral, they just need to determine which 2 of the 3 locations are opposite corners then they'd just have to sail directly between them until they find the island. It's an inefficient and roundabout way of getting there, but it's possible.

I assume that this is counterbalanced by the waters around Raftel being absolutely loving lethal even for an Emperor's fleet.

Also, it seems that it's been confirmed that Raftel won't be the story's finale (not that it wasn't looking increasingly unlikely of late). One Piece seems to be the container for some sort of great and terrible secret, so the Straw Hats will, presumably, need to act on that secret after discovering it.

One thing - if this is the Year of Sanji, do you reckon Big Mom will end up having some connection to All Blue? Every other Straw Hat seems to have been making concrete progress on their dream, but not him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Veskit posted:

I'm not a fan of how disoriented the poneglyphs are just throwing that out there. 4 are location ones and the others are just bullshit to speculate on forever basically?

They're all indestructible information repositories containing great, important secrets. Four especially important ones point to the most vital, explosive piece of information of all.

There's a theme there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Wasn't Spandam's whole motivation to get Pluton? Why would he need to do that if the WG already had it?

Left hand versus right hand? Internal power struggle? I mean, I don't believe that the WG has a superweapon, seeing as they like to rule by fear and the fairly low-tech Buster Call is the most terrifying thing they have (in other words, if they had a Death Star, they'd have used it by now), but I think we can take it as a given that the Celestial Dragons are backstabbing, power-hungry fucks who make the great houses of Westeros look like one big, chill, happy family.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Man with Hat posted:

HxH has cannibalism and childen having their heads bashed in. That's in Shonen Jump, right?

There's bloody poo poo in that magazine.

Seriously, the start of Chimera Ant was loving nightmarish.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HerraS posted:

Hmmmm yes this seems like a thing that will happen after rad anime Garfield said that carrying the stones with you would be loving stupid

This, but unironically.

C'mon, it's Luffy. He gonna steal them poneglyphs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Not really manga related, but I'll post it anyways:

http://onepiecepodcast.com/2016/03/06/one-piece-episode-733-delayed/

One Piece Episode 733 delayed until March 20 because of 2016 Nagoya Women's Marathon. :smithicide:

So, no King Kong Gun for a little while longer.

You're getting upset about the One Piece anime being replaced by something with good pacing?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Watch Luffy go Perry Expedition on Wano's collective asses. :getin:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

I too hope that Luffy uses the threat of overwhelming force to effectively destroy the pride of an entire nation

Well, destroying people's pride is kind of Luffy's thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gonna be interesting to see how they'll resolve this. On the one hand, they need to get this but done relatively fast so we can catch up to Sanji. On the other, Jack's plan clearly falls into the territory of 'so apparently insane and suicidal that it's definitely going to work', so the Straw Hats are likely to have a tough time defending their new elephant buddy.

Maybe their fight with Jack will take them all the way to the Charlotte wedding for maximum diplomatic catastrofuck potential?