Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

quakster posted:

Since this is by far the worst OP thread I've read so far, I gotta ask: What's the general thread consensus on D standing for Devil or some in-universe equivalent? Seems p. likely, IMO.

I'd say it's possible. Especially now that it's been revealed that the Ds are apparently mortal enemies of the World Nobles (aka the Celestial Dragons).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Wait, was Kaido actually foreshadowed? Trying to figure out if that's supposed to be him at the bottom? It doesn't really look like him at all. Looks more like Kuma kind of. I guess it could be Young Kaido?

I mean I see Shanks, Charlotte, and Whitebeard...

Kaido's design wasn't yet finalized at the time, so the Kaido you see now looks pretty different from the Kaido on that picture.

(And yes, the fourth guy is supposed to be Kaido.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I wonder if Kuma's involvement with Vegapunk led to Devil Fruit innovation (ie being able to control the essence of Devil Fruits by "pushing" them into desired regular fruits to later eat or objects like guns or swords to give them powers) to begin with. So, instead of letting Devil Fruits naturally flow from a dead user to nearby fruit, the DF essence is forcefully manipulated.

Blackbeard probably inverts this through his own method of "pulling" the Devil Fruit powers from others into himself through the Yami Yami no Mi's special powers. All speculation, though. :shrug:

The "being able to steal other users' Devil Fruits" is because he has an atypical body structure, not because of the Yami Yami no Mi.

Of course, the whole point of Blackbeard (besides being the potential evil!Luffy) seems to be that he goes against the stream: He is the only pirate we know of who has no bounty; he's the only one of the Seven Warlords before the timeskip to not have an animal theme, and he's the only warlord who has no bounty (when he used to be a warlord); his first (and main/associated) Devil Fruit is a Logia, yet he can't transform into the Logia's element to avoid damage (and in fact, the Yami Yami actually has a drawback when it comes to avoiding damage); and he's (of course) the only guy who's be able to use two Devil Fruits so far and has explicitly said to be going for even more after the timeskip; and he's the only one we know of who has the initial D. who faces eath with cowardice.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Asuron posted:

Actually in the english translated version by Viz I have, the line just says he has a strange body which is probably referring to the fact that his Darkness Fruit made his body stranger than other logia fruits Marco had seen.

Fact of the matter is Blackbeard wanted the darkness fruit for a reason and the plans he made were based off getting it, he even states he would've given up on them if he never found it, so it's almost certain that the darkness fruit is the reason why he can steal powers.

I see. I have only been able to read this series through... less than legal methods, so I didn't know about that.

Either way, I think we can all agree that running contrary to established facts and expectations is a reoccuring theme with Blackbeard. (No bounty like the other priates, has a Devil Fruit with different rules than expected of its type, a man bearing the initial of D who shows cowardice in the face of death, etc.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Begemot posted:

That's funny, Luffy's operation had expanded too, even though he didn't want it to. Blackbeard probably sought out and coerced people to work under him, and apparently willingly split up his own crew so they could command different ships and go off on special missions. Luffy's group was split up by unforeseen circumstances and he never wanted a fleet in the first place.

It's like I'm reading Naruto there's so many parallels.

There's also kind of a family parallel where Luffy and Blackbeard draw in people to join them by their sheer charisma, but Luffy's crew are basically family towards each other whereas his relationship with his fleet, and their relationship towards one another, are as friends who will mutually help each other out in times should they need it. Blackbeard by contrast has a crew who are not entirely loyal towards him (with possible exception of his initial crew) and who would have disbanded if Blackbeard couldn't follow through on his promises, and afterwards aren't entirely content with serving under him.

Given the parallels between Luffy and Blackbeard, it's rather telling that Luffy wants his core members to stay together no matter what, while Blackbeard has no qualms about splitting his own core members up if need be.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

The manga that image comes from still has the most hosed up and most awesomely glorious ending of any manga that I've read. :allears:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

do they really still translate zoro like that

Probably. I mean, America has a much more well known Zorro and the copyright holders of that series might knock on their door if they kept it as Zoro.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

What's the longest Oda's gone before paying off an early hint in the manga? The biggest one I can think of is the gap between the first hint at Sanji's true origins (chapter 68, December 1998) to the reveal he's a Vinsmoke (chapter 812, January 2016). 744 chapters, 18 years.

Why does these year-long joke pay-offs remind me of 8-Bit Theater and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei end chapters?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

verbal enema posted:

heh jokes on you the 3 people i recognize from your sig have betrayed you

BUT WHO IS THE THREE?!!

That sig is the first time in a long while that I've seen something School Rumble related.

Either way, that picture from Moltrey kinda creeps me out, but One Piece is forever cool and good and I'm stoked to see more of this arc!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Well, it's either Captain Kuro or Spandam that's the biggest one for me, but that's about the only villains in the OP world I know about who's just literal shitbags with nothing about them that's redeeming or cool... or at least makes them and/or their antics hilarious to watch.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

He kept that stray dog he adopted. He learned something, even if he'd never admit it.

Surprised Hody, Vander, and Absalom aren't getting more mention as utterly charmless villains.

Hody is definitely a less charming Arlong, but he's kind of the chump guy for the Straw Hats after they've finished training for the New World while being fairly threatening otherwise and while he is incompetent, he isn't overly so. Essentially he doesn't really stand out and so I didn't really remember him until you mentioned him.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

The problem is that Chopper has been overshadowed even in his own skill set by Law, Ceasar, and Reiju.

Counterpoint: Law is only their partner-in-crime, Caesar is honestly a loving wild ard right now and will probably not be relevant once they part ways (and he has to be pushed around by the Straw Hats including Chopper anyways), and Reiju is part of the Germas.

Chopper is an actual part of the crew.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Ryokugyu sounds interesting. I thought he'd be more like Akainu in world view since Fujitora is pretty much the new Kuzan in terms of having less extreme views on justice than most Marines, while Kizaru was in the middle between Kuzan and Akainu. Oh well, I can't wait for him to be used: The admirals are pretty cool.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

According to this post, Green Bull might be based off the actor Harada Yoshio, just like how all the other Admirals (save Sengoku) are based off famous Japanese actors.

http://gall.dcinside.com/mgallery/board/view/?id=onepieceblood&no=98746&page=1&exception_mode=recommend

Apparently, Harada Yoshio appeared in the movie Roningai, where he played a character who liked women and had a unique way of laughing (Ra ha ha ha ha, same as Green Bull).

His hair is somewhat similar.

Plus, also appearing in Roningai were Kunie Tanaka, the model for Kizuaru, and Shintaro Katsu, the model for Fujitora. Both of them being current Admirals alongside Green Bull.

That is great! The usual Marine Admiral pattern is upheld.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Uldor posted:

Detailed 907 spoilers

:vince: if true.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

:vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince:

One Piece continues to show why it is the best Shounen manga! This is a great arc. :allears:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

I cannot for the life of me remember when the guy who punched Charlos appeared before or what Queen Otohime did to make him change his ways

He was the Celestial Dragon who tried to take all his Fishmen slaves back when they had escaped (and then Queen Otohime boarded his ship to meet with the other Celestial Dragons). Presumably, 10 years have given him a lot of time to reflect upon his actions.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Begemot posted:

He was the guy who was saved by Otohime giving him blood after his ship wrecked in Fishman Island. After he held a child hostage, I think?

This is her dream starting to come true, I doubt he has an ulterior motive.

Yeah. Basically that guy.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Larryb posted:

Honestly the anime ending after Aizen's defeat was probably for the best. Bleach peaked around the Soul Society arc and then started going downhill after that and never really stopped (it also could have easily been at least 100 chapters shorter).

Reminds me of this video about the subject of how Bleach ended up falling from critical darling to washed-up has-been: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACq7tgjHdGA

Though I personally have only really liked One Piece out of the "big Shounen mangas" everyone tried to push on me.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kild posted:

Have you tried Hunter x Hunter or My Hero Academia?

Not yet. I've seen small snippets though, but I wouldn't call that pushing.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

If a One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 happens, I want Charlotte Katakuri and Capone Bege as new playable characters.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

Namco Bandai already confirmed that PW3 is the last in the series. :( I really hope they change their minds someday because Musou is the perfect fit for One Piece.

One disappointing thing about Pirate Warriors 3 is they developed and released it before Dressrosa ended, so they had to make up an ending: Luffy and Sabo double-team Doffy, and he runs away after he's finally defeated. No Gear Fourth.

:smithicide:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Viridiant posted:

I thought they'd said they were just taking a break from it for a while. That would indeed be sad if it really is the last Pirate Warriors game.

DizzyBum posted:

Actually yeah I think you're right, they did say they were just taking a break. My mistake.

Hopefully we will see PW4 in another few years, then.

Oh thank goodness.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Holy poo poo those spoilers. :magical:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nessus posted:

I figure when seastone was introduced Luffy didn't have much else going on other than a bad attitude and the historical science of Marxism-Leninism. Now he's got like six flavors of haki and he's pissed off. It's like how if you took away Wolverine's claws and skeleton metal he's still a strong little angry dude who likes to fight.

Or like Blackbeard vs. Whitebeard: Take away his DF powers and you're still left with the world's strongest man who could kill you in a few hits despite Whitebeard being well past his prime.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

AkumaHokoru posted:

so we for sure need a pirate warriors 4 but it needs to be done by the outside game dev house cause the main series has gone to poo poo.

We don't need an outside dev house: We just need OPPW4 to be more like normal Warriors games and not Dynasty Warriors 9.

So basically an evolution of OPPW3 would be a good direction.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Begemot posted:

Omega Force definitely seems to be a situation of "you get what you pay for". If you give them a low budget for an anime tie-in, you get the Berserk musou, but if you're Nintendo and shower them in riches, you get the Zelda and Fire Emblem musous.

Surely, One Piece makes enough money to afford a good video game.

Oh God those Musous are the best in my opinion! Though it also helps that I love both of those series. :allears:

But the One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 seems better than many of the other Musous, at least the ones released in this day and age, so hopefully 4 will be on that level of quality and not lower.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

oddium posted:

if you could have any of the fruit which one would it be. i would probably take the door door fruit or the silence one

Rumble Rumble Fruit. With enough control, I'd be able to charge my devices without needing chargers, not to mention being able to skimp on how much electricity I need to use.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Playable Von Bege and Katakuri pls!

Carrot can come along too.

And I guess that trailer practically confirms playable Big Mom which is interesting. It'll be neat when we get to see her moveset.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

My Big 3 hopefuls for playable in OPPW4:

1. Capone Bege
2. Bartolomeo
3. Katakuri

Also, we're seeing it in action at Gamescom so we're likely getting more info then! :woop:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

That poo poo sounds awesome and I dig that poo poo.

It's weird that I've never played Pirate Warriors given how much I used to love baseline Warriors and how much I love One Piece.

The only games I see above OPPW3 is Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors. All three are good Warriors games on their own and OPPW4 seems to go more in-line with 3 than the other ones which is :discourse:.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Do they? Wouldn't you get their power if you just swallowed them without chewing? Because I can completely believe at least one person has done that.

Because one did: Buggy the Clown accidentally swallowed his Devil Fruit.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Parrotine posted:

I dont think Shanks has territory, his whole deal is 'Small Crew -> Small Problems'

He does. Bartolomeo visits an island which is under his flag in his part of the Straw Hat Fleet cover story.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

So... Vinsmoke Reiju confirmed playable in Pirate Warriors 4 and [/spoiler]Big Mom is heavily implied to be given they changed her size[/spoiler]... That's two new characters so far.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

That would make sense, although I’m a little confused about how it relates to the Headliner and Flying Six designations. Are the Flying Six a subset of the Numbers, above the Numbers, or below the Numbers?

Edit: After checking what’s been revealed about the Numbers, they actually seem to be a group of horned giants like Kaidou, so they’re probably a completely separate group from the Headliners.

Well... If I'm gonna speculate their rank within Kaido's crew, it'll probably be something like:

Kaido
King
Queen
Jack
Numbers (Scratchmen Apoo might go here, he's either this or a Flying Six member)
Flying Six (X. Drake goes here)
Other Headliners (Basil Hawkins goes here)
Gifters
Pleasures
Waiters

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Hawkins not being part of the Flying Six would be odd; surely he’s stronger than Page 1?

He's around that level of power I believe, but he doesn't have the authority that the Flying Six are. So his rank is essentially just a normal Headliner.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Gyges posted:

Drake originally left the Marines because he wanted to go after Kaido out of revenge for killing a fellow Marine. So it was always weird that he joined up with Kaido.

Wait! Where does this come from?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Gyges posted:

I can't find it now, but I remember at one point him alluding to both a hatred for Kaido and his leaving the marines having something to do with not being able to go after one of the 4 Emperors. Also he did attack one of Kaido's islands as our re-intro to him after the time skip.

It is interesting that there's so much revolutionary references tied up with him as well though. So it's possible that he's a Revolutionary Army mole and could be acting to help Luffy like Ivankov did.

Drake was already on Kaido's team after the timeskip: He attacks Caribou who had just finished liberating the island from Scotch (the guy Drake attacked pre-timeskip because he knew Kaido would retaliate if he did).

We're probably going to find out his deal this arc anyway.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Apparently, not every character from the previous OPPW games will be playable. One of them is Magellan who has now been cut from the playable roster due to the new jump aerial action mechanics. That... actually kind of throws a wrench on characters like Big Mom and Kaido being playable...

Playable Navys and Warlords are safe tho from what I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 news:

Characters are now divided into types: Power, Speed, Technique, and Sky. This seems to indicate what kind of moveset they have, according to this image:

https://imgur.com/AyhQQAt

Luffy and Zoro are Power-type characters.

Ichiji is a Sky-type character. Marco is also confirmed to be a Sky-type character (and this confirms him as playable for this game as well).

Aokiji is a Technique-type character.

Carrot is a Speed-type character.

Power-type characters moveset-wise can extend their ground-type charge attacks up to two times.

Sky-type characters moveset-wise can extend their aerial-type charge attacks up to two times.

Technique-type characters moveset-wise can extend their charge attacks one time.

Speed-type characters get an 8-button combo string and more ground charge attacks up to C8 compared to the other characters' 5-button combo string and charge attacks up to C5, but can't extend their charge attacks at all.

Also, the reverse charge attacks and combos have been done away with.