Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

Manatee Cannon posted:

it'd be really funny if they cut to the reverie or wano next chapter

hosed up but funny

I'm legit hoping this happens.

It's still so odd to me in the narrative that Kaidou's supposedly going to be defeated before Big Mom, but I guess we'll see how it plays out. Maybe Big Mom has more destructive power than Kaidou, but even she seems to think Kaidou's untouchable. Here's to the next 100 chapters, wonder if chapter 1000 will be Kaidou's defeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

U-DO Burger posted:

the art and presentation of the cake eating was loving fantastic and everything I could have hoped for in chapter 900

It looked like she was post-orgasm, haha. Like seriously, she had the glow and everything. Surprised she didn't spark a cigarette with her Sun homie.

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I understand that really, the cake did save them because the Sunny would have been wiped out by berserk Big Mom earlier, but narratively it feels weird that after all that buildup, the cake only briefly diverted and delayed her. Really curious how the story is going to keep her from continuing to follow the Strawhats now.

I think her commenting on the "familiar" taste of the cake is going to lead to something memory-related. I really have no idea from there, but I think that's the setup. I'm just gonna wait to see what Oda does, 'cause right now the fandom's split with several directions that Big Mom's heading at this point. Some think Elbaf (the obvious one), some think Wano, some think even Fishman Island. I'm just gonna wait and see, but these are some nail-biting chapters. I need the next one now.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

The reunion is coming soon. :) Full-force Straw Hats.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

If there were any One Piece kicks I'd get, I'd imagine the Doflamingo smile with the slash through it would be decent as a symbol. Always happy for any One Piece attention in the States!

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

You've gotta admit that's an incredible but so appropriate coincidence. I mean how could that be any more perfect haha. Nami being wave is cool too.

Lpzie posted:

i really need my fix. i'm jonesing over here

Yeah I'm acting more composed than I am right now, I need my crack. Give me the keys to Oda's office :colbert:

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

very disappointed there is no chappy this week

The only reason I've been able to handle it is 'cause this is the best possible chapter for the Golden Week break to happen around. This is seriously one of my top 5 chapters of the entire series.

I hope Luffy fully heals by the time he comes into contact with the village burner! Shirahoshi, don't get kidnapped! Then the WG will have two ancient weapons ready to go.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

All's right with the world when One Piece drops bombshell chapters consecutively. :)

In fact I've been reading the manga weekly for a while and this is the first time a "post-arc transition" (though Reverie is obviously its own small arc) has dropped so many crazy revelations so close together. Besides the end of Marineford, does anything come close? The end of Marineford may even be SURPASSED, depending on how much more intense events and reveals Oda writes here. And I'm thinking it will be. I agree with the camp that thinks that Vivi will no longer just be a Straw Hat in spirit -- she's going to see Cobra killed and realize she's no longer safe there, and where will she turn? Straw Hats. If she joins before Jinbe though I will die laughing.

I'd be crazy not to mention the secret ruler. I am hella excited. While behind the scenes late-game villains are nothing new, it's a twist that I know Oda's been tinkering with for along time, and we still have several hundred chapters left. The stakes for our protagonists were already grim, now they are dismal.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And before that, Luffy was actually considerably weaker from having accidentally eaten the fruit because he didn't know how to control his body anymore and had to relearn from scratch. The Gum Gum fruit is considered one of the weaker fruits and also one of the weirder ones; next to Law and Kidd's powers they outright called his the weirdest.

That's one of the major selling points of the series to me. Luffy's fruit is objectively, in the universe of One Piece, a common fruit. Lower tier. It's not like he got the ultimate hero's power, like say he had Whitebeard's Gura Gura fruit passed down to him in the beginning of the series or something. No, he's working with the hand he was dealt, and making the most out of a fruit that would be very lackluster in the majority of characters' hands. Also really ties in with the theme of dreams to me, that a guy with a rubber fruit, who could just as easily been a total scrub, is getting close to the point that he grapples with the highest caliber opponents on the seas.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Chapter 922 spoilers

Luffy punches Kaido in his drunken dragon face after Kaido demolishes Oden Castle with his fire breath.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I forget where it happened but Luffy once stopped one of his own punches or kicks by punching/kicking his own hand so he has actually punched all five emperors

That was during the battle against Crocoboy. Stopped his fist with his own drat foot. I can't imagine that would be painless.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Parrotine posted:

What's your favorite moment in One Piece? Mine's when Luffy went to the sky and punched God in the face :allears:

I'm gonna be that guy who does more than one, because my top one's a very easy pick.

1. I WADDA COOK LIVE!
2. The moment I realize this is incredibly hard because this series is packed to the brim with impactful moments.
Actual 2. Luffy's shadow appears to Cricket to let him know the gold's up in the sky.
3. "ONE PIECE... IT EXISTS!!!" tied with "This is my age!!! Zehahaha!!!"
4. "The balance of the world cannot be maintained forever. It seems like there is a need for a great cleansing. Imu-sama! We, the Five Elders, are here before you! The light that needs to be exterminated from history... Have you decided who it should be yet? If you have, please tell us their name!" <sinister stare>
5. Merry funeral

Kaido appearing in his dragon form in that double page spread for the first time's in my top 10. So is Katakuri saying "You're looking pretty far into the future...!!"

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

This is one of those times where we need the next chapter, like, yesterday. That cliffhanger was evil as hell, lol. Oda knew exactly how to frame it for max controversy in the fandom until we find out what actually happened, which is really hard to pinpoint.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

bacon flaps posted:

Didn't Zoro spend like p much half of part one near dead? And he continued to get the poo poo kicked out of him. Dude's the toughest motherfucker around.

That's why it's so satisfying that he hasn't been handicapped all the time, or leaking gallons of blood, now. That already happened. The New World has just been Zoro's Triumphant Victories as far as he's concerned, even against a city-buster like Pica. But for those wanting blood-soaked Zoro back, they're likely about to get their wish in Wano, depending on who he fights. Shutenmaru alone is that strong. There's no way Oda won't be able to write a strong-rear end samurai opponent for Zoro that pushes him to his limits.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Orochi is the obvious villain for him.

I'm thinking so too. Unsure if Zoro will fight him alone though.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

The "Luffy knocks out drunk Kaido haha" outcome I feared did not come to pass. Phew. What we got instead was what was needed, and very gracefully executed. A single power-up is not enough for Luffy to defeat this thing. Massive alliance and powerup? Maybe.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

alkanphel posted:

I wonder if this is where we'll see Luffy have to 'awaken' his Devil Fruit.

Pretty sure that's basically required, and I don't think it'll be the "Bounce House" thing people have thought of, lol. Also, just making sure people are noticing Kaido is ridiculously fast. Luffy is not coming towards him in the final spread, it's the other way around.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

It's so rare that you see the main characters' odds be so dismally low, haha. The only thing really saving him here is that to advance the plot near the end of the story, he has to become Pirate King. A reminder that that was just a basic named attack from Kaido in his base form (I'm assuming base, because he reverts back to it after being punched a lot in dragon form). Zoans generally have multiple forms. Kaido is going to have a Hybrid form. How on earth is anyone going to have a chance at surviving against his strongest attacks in his hybrid form? That's not even the farthest this can be taken either since Awakening is a thing too. I always like my villains to feel like veritable threat, and that is being taken to the max here.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax51_uszKMs&t=205s

Now we know what Moria meant here. :stonkhat:

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Oda did Robin super dirty. Does he hate her as much as he hates Sanji?

Not even close. (And yes I believe that too about Sanji)

He's more just trying to include her in Straw Hat fooling around since she broke out of her shell post-EL. He's gradually opened her up, and as pointed out this isn't the first time she's made a crazy face fault.

Edit: Luffy and Kid reunited after their unified wreckage by Kaido: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaOvGfiqW5E

Demonicpoodle fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 9, 2018

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm kind of having trouble dealing with how loving psyched I am for One Piece right now. We've got an absolute metric poo poo ton of characters and stories set in motion years ago, all coming together for the defeat of one of the final major villains of the series, and I'm basically thinking about how badly I want more One Piece right now every second I'm not reading One Piece, and we've got another two years of this and it's getting kind of stressful.

Saaaame. I haven't been this addicted to One Piece since Marineford. :kingsley: I'd say I'm even more glued to it than that though because Wano has a LOT more to resolve, and a lot of it is big stuff. And I find Kaido a more interesting Yonkou than Whitebeard, who in his own right was a high-quality character. Also, the Acts thing is unprecedented for One Piece -- cool unique writing. The best way I could describe this arc is Skypiea and Marineford combined but we have to defeat a non-weakened Whitebeard? It's insanity. And remember this is just the intro, most arcs are remembered for their climax sections.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

The next chapter's such a wildcard.

Reverie intermission? Orochi focus? Robin/Usopp/Franky/Zoro focus?

Hot take: Act 2 will primarily focus on Orochi, setting him up as the second major nigh undefeatable villain of the arc. A lot more factions will gather, with some skirmishes already happening, to get ready for the war in act 4.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

The next chapter with be an intermission showing what Don Krieg has been up to these past two years.

Now he has spikes that explode if they hit you. :aaa:

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Viridiant posted:

It could also make for a cool scene of acknowledgement from the other pirates once Luffy claims Pirate King. And then making the most dangerous alliance in the world when they find out the secret behind the Void Century and go to kick Im's rear end.

Gonna be interesting to see what Im/Imu's actual name is. I dooon't think Imu is the full picture on the name. :p Though there's actually several mythological inspirations for it possibly, and that Adam & Eve japanese name meaning.

I will think Imu is Uranus or has control of Uranus until proven otherwise.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Uranus is a large and powerful weapon.

Like Shirahoshi! So it might be the latter part of my post, then.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

This break has me conflicted. On one hand, a break after the first act of Wano ending is the PERFECT time for one. It lets things settle and lets us reflect. On the other hand, this is still one of the top 3 hardest breaks for me. I *need* to know what happens next chapter. It's likely a game-changer chapter.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

if I had to compile a list of three bad things in One Piece then the Nyaban brothers don't even rate. They're unmemorable at best.

I'd give that third slot to Absalom or Caribou probably (and also replace "birdcage" with "Dressrosa as a whole" but that's just me)

While Caribou's gross and almost certainly a serial rapist, him knowing about Shirahoshi's going to come into play this arc somehow, given his current location.

As for top 3 bad One Piece things, absolute #1 for me is Vacuum Lady in Dressrosa. Then I guess that I personally think Fishman Island and Dressrosa's lengths should have been somewhat switched, with FI being a 100 chapter incredible arc and Dressrosa being 70 chapters or so. Third Doffy's string clones. That's just a nah from me dawg, I never bought the string clones.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

All I have to say to the spoilers are what in the loving gently caress. So this is Super Saiyan Oda. I haven't been able to concentrate for an hour.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

GoldenPrice posted:

Who the hell is that random old guy sitting with Blackbeard?

He's the guy who serves as Mac in that Always Sunny Dennis System episode. He gets the leftovers of the chicks Blackbeard bangs.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

alkanphel posted:

Does King have wings just like Magellan?

King notably has wings that are like the Birkans, but black. I was under the impression that they were related to his likely Zoan but then I remembered... It's actually very rare for true, non-SMILE Zoans to display traits of the Zoan's appearance, outside of the Zoan form. So for example Lucci looked normal outside of his Zoan form, Kaku looked normal for One Piece standards, etc. Sooo. Those black wings are quite the mystery.

The theories I've heard so far for King's Devil Fruit are Yatagarasu. Maybe a gryphon. I dunno, something with wings that's mythical. There's a lot of those out there though, haha.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Yo I think most people forgot this, but the Suke Suke no Mi (Absalom's former fruit, now Shiryu's) can turn other things besides the user invisible. Anything they touch.

This has huge implications because now it's in the hands of an actually powerful user.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

EGSunBro posted:

I’m so excited for every single thing in the future of one piece. Every chapter is like a magical present.

I honestly can’t imagine what it’s gonna be like in 20 years when One Piece finishes

The thing is like... As many have become aware, *literally all* of the New World has been set-up for Big Mom and Kaido. And we're finally at the payoffs for that setup, the relief, the entree after the chips and appetizers. And we've seen from Oda's notebooks that he usually plans arcs ahead, and that he's wanted to draw Wano since Monsters (his one-shot manga) was published. Oda's just flowing with inspiration like Conqueror's Haki is emanating from his pen. If there's one arc you know Oda has super meticulously planned and ironed out the kinks of, it's Wano. This arc has "planned" and "tight execution" written all over it, and that goes a long way to elevating a story. And also, it's not like we're getting tight execution for an arc that dealt with the events and stakes on the level of, say, Fishman Island. That only has so much of an upper ceiling of quality due to the events being not too important in the grand scheme of things, besides certain key scenes. We're getting tight execution, brisk pacing, and that X factor for a mega arc that includes so much important events that are required to be resolved for the grander scheme of One Piece.

Basically being excited for the future of One Piece has never been more appropriate.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Continued blind reading, starting at chapter 114: "Route"

I like Vivi, more now that she's not a bad guy. Oh, speaking of bad guys, miss All Sunday. She can float stuff I guess?? Luffy continues to be the greatest ever - I'd react to the lines of his I like best, but honestly I'd be reacting to every single line.

Also dang, in the little side adventures at the start of each chapter, Coby and Helmeppo are gettin' ripped. Oh gently caress a bigass goddamn dolphin. KICK THE poo poo OUT OF IT SANJ- oh, or just run away. Oh boy, next island! I love that the gang just gets into as much stupid trouble as possible, they're just all so fun. DINOSAUR ISLAND YESSSSS. Oh and giant island too, I guess.

Holy poo poo these giants are great. They're all so jolly, they're like big Luffies!

Holiday Island, Baroque Works' lair? I agree with Mr 3, earl grey is the best black tea. HIS HAIR IS A GIANT NUMBER THREE. I like miss Goldenweek's design too. All the characters in One Piece are so memorable, but there are so many. It must be easy to forget them, but then so fun to reread and rember them all. Oh no the rum exploded, I bet it was Miss All Sunday, that bitch. Oh well, now I get to see Luffy fight a giant :toot:

Hey, Mr 5 is back, and the weight girl, Miss Valentine I think her name was? I'm only just now realizing that Mr 5 has 5s all over his coat. Oh no, Dorry's hurt from fighting Luffy, I hope he'll be okay :ohdear:

Nooooo :rip: Dorry. Although, Mr 3's ability is kinda cool... But it's kinda weird, too...

This is why these "cover stories" of One Piece are so useful, and why being a manga reader is the way to go. You get to see our scrawny Marine chore boy turning that doughy body into an actual toned physique. :shobon: (though the anime covered some of it)

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Jose posted:

there have been tons of good panels but i think due to what it means this will always be the best

Yep. Some people have the balls to challenge the status quo, and thank god for those people.

Still think when Luffy punches a Gorosei it'll be better. :cheeky: The amount of awesome two-page spreads this series has left in it is disgusting, especially if Oda can make cool two-page spreads involving some nobody like Urashima.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Luffy won't punch a gorosei unless it turns out they can fight

Like Charloss, yeah.

Unrelated but did y'all see that Vivi's Vivre Card number in the new book was 13? (Luffy's being 1, Jinbe's being 10, and 11 and 12 are ???).

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Lovvving those read-through posts. :) Alabasta's a classic shounen arc. Really sets a precedent for the series too, in that it shows that things will rarely be easy. Go up against someone far above your league? The appropriate thing will happen, you'll get gutted and buried like trash. "Nakama power" only buffs you so much, it's not an auto-win like in some other shounen.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

hell astro course posted:

Hey, I know we are in on an off week, so I wanted to posit a question to a thread.... what would One Piece be like if Luffy didn't meet Zoro first? What if his first crew mate was Robin, or Chopper, or Brook or Franky, how would that shape the story?

True that. Will we get a chapter next week? This chapter drought's rough.

If he met Robin first, if we assume she's still Miss Allsunday at that point and was somehow over at Captain Morgan's marine base, and actually joined before Crocodile was thwarted... Then we'd have a very flustered Crocodile wondering why his pimp persona is losing to random rubber trash from Scrub Blue. He'd send some of the Millions or Billions assassins after them. Luffy would still wreck those dudes even at that point in the story I think, and well, Robin's the resident neck snapper, so those assassins get taken care of no sweat. They keep on neck-snappin' through the whole East Blue, though Arlong's neck took a little more oomph. "Shahahahaha! Nami's village will be mine forever! There's no saving you, little-" *crack*. They get to Loguetown, Buggy tries to execute Luffy as usual, Robin sprouts a hand and throws him off the execution stand. Buggy then flashily gets pummeled by the Straw Hats for trying to beat their captain.

They make their way to the Grand Line, with the Straw Hat's iconic scene of putting their feet on the barrel, while she reads a book off in the distance and sprouts a hand on the barrel, keeping her dream a secret. I think the first time they'd MAYBE have trouble is Little Garden. Robin eventually makes her way back to Alabasta, Crocodile sees her chilling with her new boy toy, Luffy, and snaps furiously. All of the Straw Hats including Robin fight Crocodile at that merchant town, struggling greatly even with Nico Robin The Mighty, but eventually thwart him due to Nami figuring out that water's his weakness. They acquire some water from a nearby shop, splash it on Croc, and the crew proceed to decimate Crocodile, as Vivi yells "PLEASE KEEP FIGHTING." Alabasta is immediately saved and the crew goes treasure hunting for money to stock up items before their next island.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

I don't find Komurasaki or the old guy blameless. :P Don't scam people, and families are generally not something you want to sell.

The biggest bombshell this chapter is by far that Shanks / his crew cut off someone's arm. I mean I know they killed a dude, but delimbing is still not something you'd expect them to do.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Love X-Drake's hybrid design. Page One is ... a new trend for the Headliner names? What the hell is that lol. I can't wrap my mind around that name.

Orochi's design is not the path I wanted Oda to go since we have plenty of those types of characters, but ah well. He does fit his archetype well, and can still transform. That's one of the cool things about this arc. "Character X looks like a goofball." "Well he's not even in his final form! Ha!"

I freaked out at CP-0's inclusion/Vegapunk's possible inclusion/more Kaido hype.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Kashuno posted:

It looks like they will finally have some marines that are recurring and cool to follow. Smoker and Tashigi seem like they will be recurring characters hunting the straw hat crew through the Grand Line, and it's cool that it seems they're setting up Tashigi to be a rival to Zoro. They did already do the thing with Hawk but Hawk feels like he is such a level above Zoro that he's not really a rival at this point but rather an aspiration. Tashigi meanwhile got dunked on by Zoro but has the potential to own him down the line. Also the smoke fruit seems like the first one that is really going to be a major problem for the crew. Buggy and Alvida exist but I get the feeling they are far more comic relief than actual threats ever.

The crazy sea creatures in the Calm Line were pretty insane. Wonder if we ever see more of the Calm Line. I'm guessing no because there are probably no islands out there. I cannot believe they are already going to the Grand Line and ch100 was titled THE LEGEND BEGINS like hot drat this has been a wild ride already and we are just getting started?! Also lmao that they broke their boat already just entering the mountain...If the currents push you up into the Grand Line how exactly do people get out??

That part's so goddamn funny. "Phew, made it to the 100 chapter mark."

First page: "T H E L E G E N D B E G I N S"

"Oh okay. Guess I've just been reading a joke until now according to the author."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Chapter 440: "Fire Fist vs Blackbeard"

Oh poo poo, based on the chapter name, are we finally gunna see what Blackbeard can do?? Aww, Restaurant of the seas! I'm glad they're doing well! We get to see how everyone is doing! How nostalgic! Man, Luffy's dad is scary...Oh! Blackbeard is a "D" guy, too! I'm not sure what all that means, but everyone important seems to have it in their name. Ohh, Blackbeard is made out of... Darkness?? That's weird. Apparently it's super strong, though!

Ohhh fuuuuck it is super strong. Darkness is misleading, it's more like a void! AND HE CAN DISABLE DEVIL FRUIT POWERS, FUUUUCK. Oh man, did Ace make it out of there alive? What happened??

This is one D you may want to pay particular attention to. ;) He may seem a little different from other ones.

It's super gratifying that everyone got a bounty at this point, and we got an around-the-world reaction series. Even filled with intrigue, since Dragon was shown. Saying a rather massive quote for the theme of the series.

The darkness fruit is insane, with it Blackbeard is in a class of his own. The cool thing is he does have an obvious weakness though, he takes severe physical damage because of the nature of the fruit. Blackbeard's raw punches fuggin' hurt too, which is rather frightening. Ace noted that he nearly broke his neck.

That Brook guy's gone unfortunately, truly wasted potential.