Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RuBisCO posted:

I like that Zoro's epithet is still "Pirate Hunter" despite that not making any sense for like 800 chapters now.

Nami hasn't done much cat burgling lately either.

Chopper still loves cotton candy though.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

TheFallenEvincar posted:

:lol: Oda made a mad bomber of government buildings named Abdullah

Surprise! It's a pro wrestling reference. Jeet too.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Biggest revelation: Robin thinks Kanjuro's drawings are cute :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

TriffTshngo posted:

They both built up a ton of infamy with small crews (though granted it seems Blackbeard's operation has expanded lately). He's just a massive piece of poo poo.

That's funny, Luffy's operation had expanded too, even though he didn't want it to. Blackbeard probably sought out and coerced people to work under him, and apparently willingly split up his own crew so they could command different ships and go off on special missions. Luffy's group was split up by unforeseen circumstances and he never wanted a fleet in the first place.

It's like I'm reading Naruto there's so many parallels.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Even with my subscription, I'm still here every Wednesday/Thursday reading scanlations too. I reread the official translations, but I can't wait between four and five days for my manga fix. I have no self control and by then the discussion's died down.

Same. It doesn't help that viz' online reader is still garbage.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ryuunosuke did enough, it can finally rest in peace :unsmith:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > VEGETA > One Piece Manga Thread 13: think of a woman's proportions as "three circles, one X"

Also some sites are hosting chapters that have watermarks from both MangaPanda and MangaStream and it annoys me incredibly. Is one of the two just outright stealing from the other now?

Mangapanda's raw provider got arrested so they're probably just stealing them from mangastream now.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I think the idea is that Capone always has the element of surprise. Like Chopper and Nami weren't expecting dudes with guns to come bursting in because they would have heard them busting into the town or whatever. But Capone can just carry around a whole army with him all the time.

Sudden, unexpected violence being used to his advantage also fits with his whole mobster theme. I like Capone.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Am I the only dork who gets excited when a character names their Devil Fruit after a long period of not really knowing what it is? Most of them are pretty obvious, but it's cool to figure out weird oddball ones like Capone's.

I'm still kind of confused on what exactly Hawkins and Urouge have going on for fruits though.

Hawkins is probably a curse curse man or something. It's gonna be weird and specific and crazy like Law's or a JoJo stand. I can't wait :ohdear:

I don't think Urouge has a fruit, he's just really buff and from Skypiea.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Parrotine posted:

I really hope Urouge is from Skypeia. Wanna see if he's from the island of warriors that Enel nuked a few years back, would be a fun twist

I mean

He has wings and was hanging out on the sky island that Kaidou jumped off of. And the people living there called him "high priest".

I don't think we need to see a birth certificate.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Maybe not World Noble, but what about a step down from that with national noble? There seemed to be a point of difference with that in the Goa Kingdom (Luffy's hometown).

There does seem to be a difference between the world nobles (tenryuubito) and just regular kings and whatnot. One group lives exclusively in Mariejois and wears space suits, while the others are just rulers of kingdoms. There was a flashback where Wapol and Vivi's dad met at a big council of kings in Mariejois so there is some connection to the world government still, but there is a distinction.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mulderman posted:

Now we just wait for Arlong and Lucci to turn into clowns.

Lucci was always a clown. Did you forget that he spoke via pigeon before revealing his true colors?

Man I hope CP9 shows up again soon.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Work Friend Keven posted:

If buggy awakened his devil fruit he would be able to deconstruct ideas via the application of critical theory & show that the opposite reading is true.

He would be able to split atoms and cause nuclear explosions at will.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

MajorGravy posted:

Now this, I'd gladly have as a poster.

The only problem with this is that Kylo Ren looks like Lucci when he should look like Spandam :colbert:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

KoB posted:

Croc is still the best villain imo.

Spandam is my favorite. He's just such an incredible piece of poo poo and it is incredibly satisfying when he gets his just desserts.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Crazyeyes posted:

Think Tom designed/built Pluton after leaving Fishman Island and was already in Water7

Pluton was built in Water 7 during the void century. Tom inherited the plans because he's a great shipwright not because he's a fishman.

Then he gave them to Franky who burned them so it's pretty much gone forever.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Darth Walrus posted:

Unless you buy the theory that the Thousand Sunny is Franky's take on Pluton. Which is pretty plausible.

It does have a laser cannon in the figurehead....

But I'm not sure if that qualifies it as a threat to the world government. The only one of the ancient weapons that we've gotten a real look (Shirahoshi) can control sea kings, which obviously has the power to the global power structure. Being a really versatile/high tech ship w/laser cannon doesn't really seem to be in the same league.

Of course it could turn out to have some other crazy ability later on, and I'd be totally fine with that. It's just up in the air now.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Veskit posted:

And now that we've narrowed down that there are only 4 that matter in context to the story who really cares what the other ones said.

I do. They're interesting world-building material.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Oh yeah, good point.

For a kid's comic, this stuff gets surprisingly brutal.

I mean, JoJo ran in Shonen Jump until 2005.

Gamaran also ran just a few years ago and that had people getting straight up chopped in half. By the protagonist!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Everything up through water 7 is great in the anime. After that it starts to slow down more and more because the plot doesn't really allow for as much filler. And, presumably, Toei figured out that they don't actually have to make the show any good because the sheer popularity of One Piece will carry it. Even big important moments like the Sugar snipe are ruined by awful timing and quality.

I'm pretty sure that it and Naruto are the only endless shonen anime left, everything else goes season by season now. And Naruto is seemingly trying to stall until the Bort manga starts up.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I also like how Inuarashi just now caught on to the fact that Luffy's been constantly loving up Pekoms' name.

Inurashi has no idea who Pekoms is.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

E: Nevermind I can't read today.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Advice posted:

People keep responding to Mr. Fowl's question as though he were asking what Moria's animal motif was, when in fact he was clearly asking where Moria laid on the power chart he quoted.

For my money, he's probably kind of up there. His power is stupid broken. It's like Foxy's in that if it were on anyone but a comically incompetent buffoon it would be one of the hottest powers around. If he manages to cut your shadow off its like a guaranteed win.

Moria isn't incompetent, he's lazy. The first time he fought Luffy he won without even standing up. He can do all sorts of crazy shadow bullshit but he'd rather just sit around and let his zombies do the work.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

alkanphel posted:

Hahaha yeah but given the length of Dressrosa and all, I really just want them to go ahead to Wano now, otherwise it's gonna take decades to finish this arc.

Well even after Jack they have to drop by Big Mom's place and grab Sanji real quick.

I'm sure it'll be fiiiiiiiiiine.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

LostRook posted:

They were offered the bell pillar, they stole a bunch of random crap from the snake's stomach. Bellamy got the pillar. Which reminds me, wasn't Skypiea skipped in the current round of cover stories?

The latest arc is about people finding out about the new bounties and they don't get wanted posters in Skypiea. Well, they get them for sky criminals, which Luffy and co. aren't. Although they never did pay their entrance fees....

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Crazyeyes posted:

A more reasonable explanation likely involves genocide.

Also explains no cover page reaction shot. They all dead.

We saw them in the post-timeskip cover arc, so unless it happened in the last week they're fine.

Gan Fall could wipe the floor with Bellamy anyway :colbert:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

AkumaHokoru posted:

I dont remember...but didnt manga duval have the exact same eyebrows as sanji? did they just gently caress up for the anime or am I remembering wrong?

You're remembering wrong.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I hope Jack becomes a recurring joke in the New World. The person with the highest bounty ever constantly not quite meeting the strawhats and being destroyed off-screen.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Poor Pedro, he has no idea what he's getting into :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Advice posted:

Totally nerding out at the prospect of combining the different poo poo everyone learned about during the timeskip. You'd think stuff like this would have happened right before/after Fishman Island, but I'm glad we get it at all. I always though Franky should have more of a hand in designing everyone's weapons.

Also lol at retconning Dr. Kureha into being some sort of medical expert so proficient that the entire Sakura Kingdom (only started since Chopper left, at the earliest) is known far and wide, including on Zou, for it's medical techniques. Obviously she's an amazing doctor, but I never got the idea other islands were in awe of her ability. I guess I can accept that nobody ever found out about her until she no longer had to hide from Wapol.

Uh, Drum Island has always been famous for its medical science. The whole reason the strawhats stopped there was because Nami was sick and they needed good doctors fast. And it's not just Kureha, Wapol had a big group of doctors following him around to keep him healthy, but they turned on him in the end.

This chapter was just a nice callback to that.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jimmy Bay is a cool guy and I hope he shows up again soon.

Like maybe Luffy and co. run into him on the way to Whole Cake Island.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Manatee Cannon posted:

remember in skypeia where she beat up some fat guy? good times

She totally murdered that guy. He hasn't shown up in any cover arcs!

But yeah that was her last real fight, which is sad. Oda has admitted that he has trouble figuring out how to write a good fight for her, which explains her kind of lame role in Dressrosa. Hopefully she can get another good one, some day....

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

AfroGunsou posted:

my uncle is one of oda's assistants and he told me jinbei dies and that the final crew member is lassoo

That's bullshit, Funkfreed deserves that slot :colbert:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I like that apparently Kaidou wasn't building an army of devil fruit users because of some master plan to take down his rivals, but just because it would be cool.

Luffy already crushed his dream, going to Wano and beating him up is just a formality.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Blackbeard activates his darkness field and monologues about his power being the strongest since it can stop even mighty logia users on their tracks.

Cut to Luffy, finger in his nose, "okay".

Then he punches Blackbeard really hard.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

The biggest irony with Blackbeard is that, with how much he crows about Devil Fruit users being overly reliant on their powers, Blackbeard is the most dependent on his powers to nullify the power of others and acts like the rug is pulled out from under him when his tricks don't work on the genuinely strong. :ironicat:

I like that Blackbeard isn't portrayed as some invincible super strong enemy that nobody can land a scratch on. When Ace first confronts him and burns him, Blackbeard is like "OW THAT'S HOT" and rolls around on the ground. He has no plan to deal with Magellan and would have died if Shilliew didn't show up. He's not some stoic badass, he's a goofball just like Luffy, but who happens to be evil.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That's what Carrot is for. :unsmigghh:

Also, how did Luffy forget that Dragon was his father? It was mentioned to him at least as recently as the journey down to Fishman Island, and that was only a few weeks back for them.

He didn't forget, he never knew.

Whenever someone tried to explain it he just responded "oh, I see, he's a mystery dad."

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

The Admirals gather at Reverie, including the newest one...

Gin

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Does anyone else get the feeling Oda retconned Sanji's past to have a connection with this Germa 66 group? It just seems like a way of tying Sanji to Big Mom and to get the Straw Hats involved.

It would only be a retcon if we already knew about his family and Oda changed it later. Like if we'd seen flashbacks of Sanji's happy family living a normal life and then dying tragically or something. But we knew absolutely nothing about him or his life before getting shipwrecked with Zeff, other than that he's from North Blue. Oda left it empty, and now he's filling it in.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

dordreff posted:

which of the cover picture dumbledores is the most stylish dumbledore? my vote is far-left, with the polka dots.

The middle dumbledore, definitely.

It doesn't seem like Sanji's family are just actors or whatever, their name just gets used for the comic strip. Although the former would certainly be pretty funny, so it could still go either way.