Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Foxy was a bad villain and his crew was a bad crew and that's why Davy Back Fight was a bad arc, it has nothing to do with my expectations of it being lighthearted or serious hth

You shut your filthy mouth.

How dare you insult the Great Foxy and Afro Luffy like that. But nah really I thought the arc was great. I really enjoyed stuff like that arc and Sabaody because they were short and filled to the brim with cool stuff. Saobody especially is a favourite of mine because even though it's short, it's packed with so many memorable moments and the pacing is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I legit can't think of an actually bad arc. We've had a couple with lots of bland moments though ( looking at you Fishman Island). The best ones for me personally are always the short ones like Jaya or Saobondy. Bellamys beatdown and Blackbeards speech at the bar still stands as some of the best moments in the series for me.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Baal posted:

I'm not gonna answer you because you're just gonna keep being a condescending douche. If you actually want me to answer your questions then talk to me like a person.

You're taking this weirdly personally. Noone actually cares if you like Marineford or not, they're just busting your chops.

Although that being said I don't know how you could dislike it, it's pretty much the big payoff to all the massive setpieces that One Piece had been building up to for years.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

anime was right posted:

that was the first moment where you could tell oda put more thought into his characters and their motivations than like, any other shounen author

Togashi does similar stuff when he actually sits down and draws stuff. I personally think those two are the best authors Shonen Jump have and I personally find it very interesting how they're basically the opposite of each other in terms of work ethic with one basically working himself into an early grave and the other coming out of hibernation every couple of years to put out a couple of amazing chapters and then making you wait even longer to get more ( you know if Togashis not sick or whatever, I don't even know why the reasons behind the hiatuses are kept so strictly under wraps).

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Zoro has some pretty cool moments coming up like Whiskey Peak and Mr 1's fight. But yeah his fights generally don't do it for me either. He always has to be handicapped in some way for the fight to even be considered even.

It's kinda why I like Skypiea so much, he gets interesting fights with both the Ohm and Braham. In fact most of the fights in that arc are pretty entertaining. Hell even Eneru vs Luffy which you'd think would be completely predictable in how it plays out is actually pretty interesting because Eneru retains the advantage with Haki and because Luffy can't actually grab the weapon to close in and land the blow.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I dunno, all the other Strawhats seem to have a deeper and more fleshed out connection to Luffy and each other, whereas like you said Brook is just the cool skeleton pal that makes bone puns and not much else. I guess not every member of the crew can be as multi dimensional as it gets larger though

Well like you said he's kinda a mix of Zoro and Sanji. Perverted, but very loyal to Luffy and the crew. Like when he was telling Zeo about his faith in Luffy and that he never has to worry as long as he believes in him, or even the little things like when he tells the samurai kid he only takes orders from Luffy and noone else.

I agree he definitely needs more fleshing out as a character, but there is something more substantial there, he's not only skeleton jokes. I hope Oda takes the time to work with him a little, but it feels like the time to do that was Pre-Timeskip and now there's too many things happening for Oda to spend time on an arc just for him. I mean I may be wrong and he might get something like Usopp and Robin got in Water 7, but it just doesn't feel like there's time with the way the stories going. Doubly so when people outside of the crew are taking up lots of the available screentime when there's a period an arc could be comfortably fitted into.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Well I'm not caught up so I'm not aware of how crazy the world situation is right now but hopefully there's some opportunity for a "calm belt" in the story so to speak, I mean is the plot's momentum like a runaway avalanche right now or might there be opportunity to slow things down and get into arcs that might be focused on one member of the Strawhats like the old days

Yes it really is kinda of like an avalanche right now. Everything that happens in the next arc you're about to read has basically set in motion really big events and it's really hard to see Oda being able to fit in a Brooke story with all the other poo poo he's going to have immediately address because of what the characters did.

There's doesn't seem to be room for a Water 7 type arc where the crew are basically relaxing after the last big adventure and get really lovely news that sets off a chain event where it would warrant Brooke getting an arc and really what would you make it about.For example Usopp's concerns for the ship and his place among the crew were established early on , with the problem gradually increasing as they progressed through the Grand Line. Brooke doesn't really have that going for him.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

The "being able to steal other users' Devil Fruits" is because he has an atypical body structure, not because of the Yami Yami no Mi.

Actually in the english translated version by Viz I have, the line just says he has a strange body which is probably referring to the fact that his Darkness Fruit made his body stranger than other logia fruits Marco had seen.

Fact of the matter is Blackbeard wanted the darkness fruit for a reason and the plans he made were based off getting it, he even states he would've given up on them if he never found it, so it's almost certain that the darkness fruit is the reason why he can steal powers.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

If Blackbeard's ability to hold multiple devil fruit powers was purely because of his fruit, then Marco would have said so. That Marco referred to his body being strange makes it seem clear that the darkness fruit is not the cause.

What makes you think Marco knows everything there is to know about every Devil Fruit? I mean hell noone on Whitebeards crew even recognised what his power did or what the ability was.

Do you also think Marco also knows that the Gum Gum fruit has the ability to inflate his bones or vulcanise his body with Gear Second or inflate his muscles for Gear 4? In that data book it probably says the Darkness fruit stops devil fruit powers from working, because the fruit gives the user the ability suck all things in. Blackbeard probably just took the next logical step and realised that if he killed the wielder, he would have the ability to take it permanently because the power disappears once they die.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Parrotine posted:

He's past the point of redemption I'm afraid.

This is the man who had a nosebleed so violent it could have filled an entire hospital wing's worth of blood drive donations. Not from a kick in the face from a fight or something manly, just from being a general perv at Fishman Island with a rude pair of titties in his face, and it became an actual plot point in the story arc.

The days of Mr. Prince are long gone

You mean the days where he bought Nami and Vivi skimpy outfits in Alabasta because of the "heat". I mean it's certainly amped up but he's always had that side of his personality.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Nami gets turned into a little girl and yeah Sanjis reaction to it is really, really creepy.

The sequence where they turn back to normal is almost as bad. I don't think Oda is to blame for those scenes though. They feel like something the current anime staff would throw in because they think it's a good idea, rather than something Oda wrote directly.

I mean he did make their busts bigger for obvious reasons, but whatever it's not that big a deal and that sort of thing doesn't even approach the type of creepy stuff the anime team has been doing with them since the timeskip.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 30, 2015

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Cody Banks posted:

Dressrosa was supposed to be Alabasta 2.0 but it was way too cluttered and meandering. Also no one cares about the dwarves/Riku family.

Lets be fair, the royal family stuff was really boring in Alabasta as well. I am forever glad that we dodged the awfulness that was Vivi potentially joining the crew.

Even her goddamn background flashback was awful. The only good part about her was in Whiskey Peak when she was pretending to be in Baroque Works.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

Vivi owns though????

Nah. She has a cool duck though so there is that.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Jinbei will be cool if they make him the straight man of the crew, similar to how Law behaves around them.

That role is not really fulfilled by anyone. Robin is quietly amused by all the gags and has a habit of say weird morbid stuff and Zoro has a bunch of gags that are all his own, like fighting with Sanji over stupid stuff, constantly getting lost etc. Oda will find a way to make him work I'm sure. I mean I was never really a fan of Law , but Oda made the comedy moments with him work really well, so I have faith.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Allarion posted:

Every Usopp fight is the best. Especially Luffy vs. Usopp which was heartbreaking.

Agreed. Usopp vs Chu and Usopp vs Luffy are easily among the best in the series

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

GodFish posted:

You forgot Usopp vs Perona.

I think it's a good one, but not as good as the ones I mentioned.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Gyges posted:

Despite Magma Man's claims to the contrary, Ace seemed to be doing fine. The only real reason that he lost is that Luffy was doing dumb Luffy poo poo and stopped paying attention. So Ace had to purposefully take a fist that hosed up Whitebeard with no protection. If the fight had gone on without interruption it likely would have lead to more or less a stalemate. Yeah, magma's hot as poo poo, but Ace could apparently reach solar temps.

Uhh it's entirely Ace's fault. He turned back to take taunts from a man that was obviously goading him, immediately got beaten in their first clash because magma beats fire in this scenario ( don't know why, but if candlewax beats poison no point questioning it) and Luffy who is basically on fumes at this point ( How is he doing anything dumb here? If anything he's the level headed one out of the two when he tells Ace to ignore him and keep running) collapses on the spot. Ace would've lost if they kept fighting and Luffy collapsing just sped up that result.

If anything blame the Whitebeard pirates for not forming up around them and getting them the hell out of there, instead of only putting Luffy who is clearly exhausted and about ready to collapse as his only defense.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

It's actually been long enough that I don't even remember what any of my particular problems with Skypiea were, just that I recall generally disliking it.

For anybody following either of the Jojo threads though, I first read Skypiea around the same time I read Part 4, and I disliked Part 4 back then too so I'm not inclined to take my past opinions on One Piece all that seriously as I forge ahead into the future.

It seems to be a love/hate arc for a lot of people. People who don't like it generally cite the length and villains outside of Eneru being pretty boring.

Personally I love the arc, I loved the setting, loved the fights, loved the story, Nolan and Calgaras flashback is one of the best in the series and in general I loved how it really felt like a pirates adventure, because the Strawhats weren't up there to save anyone or help anything, they were just there to steal gold and ring the bell if they found it. When they run from the island because they think the natives are gonna fire a massive cannon at them for taking the gold is one of the best and most memorable moments in One Piece for me and it's mainly because it ends like a proper adventure would.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

I'd not really noticed blackbeards flag before. Ate there any theories to go with that? Other than the cerberus DF?

Very likely refers to the three fates. His crew goes on and about destiny and fate from the moment we first meet them like when Augur is shooting down birds saying it was their fate to die, or when Doc Q is passing out apples to see whose fate it is to die, so it's a natural fit.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

lowercase16 posted:

It's a good one. I think my favorite is the one where the ancient ship is falling from the sky. I'd hang that fucker on my wall if I could figure out a way to get a high enough resolution pic of it.

RE: Skypiea

I remember Skypiea being the arc that made me drop out of One Piece for several years. I had been anime-only at the time and the pacing had gone to hell. I wasn't a sophisticated enough viewer to notice that it was pacing that was off, I just knew I was bored and had been for a while.

When I did my first read through, I remember liking Skypiea a lot more.

The first half of Skypiea got dragged out to all hell. The second half where the battle royale commences is pretty decently paced I feel. Plus the anime looked so gorgeous during that arc and they get really creative with the animation so everything looks so drat cool and smooth when it's all going in motion. Just take a look at stuff like Zoro vs Braham or Robin vs Yama to see what I mean, it just look so drat fantastic.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Amorphous Blob posted:

Final boss will be Akira D Nobunaga, the man who lives in One Piece that gets introduced right at the end and one shots BB to show how SERIOUS it's about to get. He has six pack abs and does not smile and also he invented haki and the sharingan.

Thanks for giving me a laugh by reminding me on how Naruto ended. What a wet fart that entire last arc ended up being.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Cloks posted:

I think Water 7 was the pinnacle of Oda's art for me. Great line-work and he nailed always having the right amount of detail.

Water 7 was the pinnacle of Odas work in so many ways.

It's kinda like Marineford where everything that was built up over the years just comes together in one perfect moment and the events taking place feel completely natural and earned. Just for comparison when Sasuke leaves to get stronger, it never really makes sense why Naruto and Sakura follow him around so much, like they can't live without him. At no point is he ever shown to care for them or do anything of note that would cause those feelings, but we're expected to just buy into it, which is why you have readers constantly questioning why Naruto or Sakura care so much that he left, because he certainly never reciprocated those feelings.

Whereas with Luffy and Usopp, you're constantly shown not only how much they care for each other, but how much Usopp cares about the ship and his gradual realisation that the further they go into the Grand Line, the less and less he'll be able to contribute. So when they have their duel, it's heartbreaking but also makes complete sense because of how they've been portrayed up until that point.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I think the issue is less Law being legit and more that he's an entirely straight-faced Standard Shonen Cool Guy character who has eaten up a lot of panel time the last two arcs and it feels a bit like its directly pandering to the audience

Yeah but unlike those guys, Oda has no issue in having characters have fun at his expense because he's way too serious, so that makes it okay.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Blueno's response to Jabra indicates that there's a little more to it than that. I'd assume whenever we get the reveal of Blackbeard there will be a bit of an explanation as to the two devil fruit deal.

We saw the effect in Punk Hazard. Smiley ate the fruit and exploded immediately then the power got transferred to another fruit nearby.

But yeah we'll be finding all the details when we eventually meet Vegapunk, Oda already stated that's gonna happen in an SBS early on in the series run. It's actually kinda hard to think of a scenario Vegapunk would just dump out all of that information to them though, and I doubt he's the type of guy Luffy or any Strawhat would threaten for info honestly based on everything we've heard about him.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Smiley didn't really eat a second Devil Fruit though, from what I remember. Just some 'candy' that was meant to turn it into gas.

My memory is honestly a bit fuzzy around that whole thing, so you're probably right. That's my biggest problem with Punk Hazard, it starts out so strong and then it's just constant running from gas for so many chapters without much really going on and it's really hard to remember details about it other than the really important moments.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

I guess you could say that the arc had so much running away from gas that it... ran out of gas.

Shut up I know people usually say "run out of steam" more often than gas but I needed to make the pun work!!!

:mediocre:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

frajaq posted:

man Robin has been hilarious these last chapters

Agreed. Now all Oda has gotta do is start giving Brooke more things to do and I'm set.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I'm digging this arc. It's giving off this Jaya arc feel, but the big conflict is basically resolved so I can't really tell where this is all heading.

I'm guessing that second wave of goons with the deformities Jack sent out would be the result of Smile's causing those potential side effects mentioned during Punk Hazard.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

IIRC, they instantly recognized Usopp in his Sogeking poster thanks to his trademark nose. I think their reaction this time is to the whole "God Usopp" thing.

No the kids did, but the villagers didn't believe them. Now they have definitive proof and he's become such a big bounty as well, which is why they're crying.

I'm kind've interested in seeing the Water 7 reaction to Frankys poster, I wonder if they'll be shocked at the picture he was given.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

It is indeed.

As for the chapter, I do have to wonder why Jack would revert back to human after getting a beatdown, and still look confident? Thrilled?

I smell Haki shenanigans approaching at ludicrous speed.

I'd say it's to go into the middle form, the middle form is always the strongest for Zoan users unless you're chopper. The full mammoth form probably has a ton of power but not much in the way of flexibility or movement, which against that cat is going to be an issue.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Advice posted:

Holy gently caress the anime's depiction of haki. I thought it was supposed to be a visual aid for the reader to know when someone was using it, did anyone ever even comment on being able to tell someone was using haki by the black stuff before they hit them/were hit? Now it's apparently swirling purple demon energy with sound effects. Yikes.

Yeah I wasn't a fan of that episode or the effects they chose to use either.

It's really weird, I thought the anime was stepping up it's game with the Frank vs Senor Pink, Diamante vs Kyros (actually arguably better than in the manga I think) and Laws flashback kinda gave me hope things were heading in the right direction. The filler they were adding wasn't even that bad. Then that episode hits. Pica literally stops and starts hurtling his giant fist at them three times and Usopp starts screaming every single time as if he can't get away. I don't even understand why they had a flashback to fighting Mihawk and saying he was gonna be the best in the world? It doesn't have any relevance to the fight, Zoro isn't struggling with Pica so it's nothing like Mr 1's fight where he's using the past to figure out how beat the guy. It's just completely out of place.

I just hope they don't gently caress up Gear 4, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. I'm even betting they'll extend the fight ala Hody Jones or Caesar Clown to make it more "epic" and completely miss the point that Luffy is meant to be completely dominating the fight instead of struggling.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 5, 2015

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

RC Cola posted:

So how is Blackbeard able to have two fruits again? Is it because he's fat or something?

something something stupid theory that he's a chimera or that he has a fetus attached to his body

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Law's extended crew is pretty underwhelming. I kinda wish his crew was a smaller one like the Straw Hats. And I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that they all just use generic weapons. We've seen Shachi and Penguin enough that they should at least have some sort of unique fighting style... Jean-Bart with a gun larger than most human beings is interesting I guess.

Luffy seems to be the only one going out of his way to assemble a "super crew". Everyone seems to be fine with attaching fodder and grunts to their ranks just to bolster the numbers.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I'm really loving this arc. It feels very Water 7ish in that alot of cool and interesting stuff is happening in it, but you can't tell where the story is heading at all and you can feel something important is on the verge of happening the entire time. Hell the Minkmen even remind me of the carpenters in Water 7, where you have this collective group feel very competent and interesting.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

I've seen the anime, it's not much for hype.

If anything after the timeskip is an indication, get ready for the fight when he activates Gear 4th to be extended as all hell in order to make it more "epic" by making it look like Donflamingos on even footing with him instead of being a savage beatdown similar to when Gear Second was debuted against Blueno and ruining the reveal as a result.

I have no absolutely no faith in Toei to do right by the show anymore and I just keep asking myself how did it end up this bad, because even though it had pacing issues and animation issues early on, the anime was always at least decent to good. Even the filler was decent. Now the show only has a few moments where I could ever consider it good and the rest is just terribly stretched out nonsense because Toei stopped giving a poo poo once One Piece got mega popular.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Jeez, a buncha buzzkills in this topic. :( I get your complaints, but a shred of optimism is that it's usually key moments like these (eg Luffy using Gigant Stamp on Magellan, Gigant Pistol on the Giant at Marineford) that Toei blows the animation budget on.

I'm betting the actual unveiling and some of the attacks in Gear Fourth will look really nice, not as optimistic for the actual pacing of the fight goes. The former is what I'm hyped for, been looking forward to seeing Gear Fourth in motion since the manga debut.
Yeah but what's consistent there is that's all pre timeskip. Post timeskip things just took a really bad turn for the worse and it was heading down a bad path to begin with. I can think of very few good moments that Toei have done post time-skip, with Laws flashback probably being the best thing they've done in a long time. They also made Franky vs Senor Pink pretty decent but moments like that seem to be getting rarer and rarer.

I just want them to understand what the hell it is they're animating. If they do do the Gear 4th fight as anything other than Luffy stomping Donflamingo into the ground, then it just makes the form look weak and not the big step forward it's supposed to be, plus it makes it look like Luffy basically wasted his time for two years. Things like Luffy struggling with Hody and Caesar or giving Hody motivation for his racism which was incredibly dumb in it's own right, but turning the Gear Four reveal into anything other than one sided stomp would just deflate alot of the impact behind the form reveal. If it even comes close to matching Luffy vs Blueno when that got animated I'll be satisfied but I'm not holding my breath

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Kild posted:

who the gently caress is gonna read this

but what nen category do you think Blackbeard falls into?

Advice posted:

What the gently caress is this? Please don't shame meticulous, legitimate discussion of One Piece in the One Piece thread. That was a very well thought out and articulate post, unlike yours. We need more of him and less nanomachines and fetus talk.

Agreed. On an off week no less

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Advice posted:

I don't know if we've got the evidence to support this. Oda has intentionally left Blackbeard's current doings outside of our "vision", and I hardly think a man as ambitious as he was is just resting on his laurels. He's apparently ready to fight the Revolutionary fights at a moment's notice, and I'm not really even sure why he doesn't like them, if anything you'd think he would welcome more chaos considering the control the WG and Marines have, but we'll see, I guess.

Just on this, I'm pretty sure it's about both the statement of Blackbeards power and the fact that the Revolutionary army has alot of territory in both the Grand Line and in the seas outside of it under their thumb. Taking them down shows how powerful Blackbeard is and gives him territory that rivals what the World Government controls, rather than just Islands solely in the New World.

And here's the kicker, Blackbeard has the advantage in that they don't know he's coming and Blackbeard isn't facing the full might of Dragons army, he's facing whoevers hanging around at Revolutionary HQ with Dragon right now which evens the odds significantly.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 3, 2016

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

He gets his big power-up with Whitebeard's fruit and talks a lot of poo poo about how great he is, then Shank's crew shows up and he fucks off like a bitch. He a buster.

He was more than willing to fight the World Government forces and the Whitebeard remnants right up until Shanks came in and tipped the scales. That's called being smart and not taking on more than can be reasonably handled, because as it is He would've had his hands full with what they were already facing.

He's in a better position now because he made that decision, doing it your way ends up with him dead and in prison and for what? Just to prove he's as strong as Shanks? He's already proved that he's a match from both his actions in the war and by scarring him in the first place to the point that Shanks feared what he was capable of. By being smart he took over most of Whitebeards territory and has hunted down more useful DF powers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Why does he need to be a stone crazy killer before you think he's worthy of being an endboss? He's never been portrayed as that, he's just basically the opposite of Luffy and that doesn't mean he goes around killing people for the fun of it, he has a very specific plan and that plan doesn't involve sticking around to fight three powerful forces at once before he's ready. Hell he was even gonna stick around to fight two of them until he thought better of it. No offense but you've got very boring ideas on what a final villain should be if you think they should succeed at literally everything they do and be able to take anyone on with ease.

That's not who Blackbeard is or ever has been, your version of him is infinitely more boring because you just want him to be a generic evil villain who everyone wants to stop, but he's got alot more going on than that. Also if you're going to complain about his Devil Fruit power being boring, I'm sorry but that's pretty much every Logia. His one is at least interesting in that it causes him incredible pain if he takes hits and it gives him the edge over any Devil Fruit user alive. Every other Logia user except maybe Caesar is really boring in what they do, his one at least changes the rules we've come to expect.

It basically sounds like you want him to be Madara Uchiha and man I can't think of anything more boring than that.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 3, 2016