Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

It's really just becoming a force of habit now

Thread 12 Biggest Losers

code:
anime was right 	304  (+10)
Gyges 			296  (-1)
Waffleman_	 	220  (new)
Advice 			211  (--)
Prison Warden 		165  (+5)
tbp 			153  (new)
Cat Machine 		146  (new)
Bisse 			128  (new )
Jose 			127  (new)
Captain Invictus 	126  (new)
Parrotine 		124  (-3)
KoB 			119  (new)
Lot of new blood (or name changes I couldn't remember) this year, lots of good hustle. Some of the older players losing a bit of steam in their old age. But anime was right is really showing his stuff this season. That all caramel machiato diet is really paying off. Not often you see such incredible volume of posting.

Why am I on this list? What does -3 mean? These things, I do not understand :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Baal posted:

I think Skypiea's okay, but that's probably just because I have a really high opinion of Eneru as an antagonist and the climax of it is loving amazing. It does really drag out though and overstays its welcome, but I think for what short time Eneru is there makes up for it.

I'm gonna let your opinions on Marinefold slide because Eneru really was one of the best villains. As a reader it kills me that nobody else but luffy and the handful that makes up his crew knows that he took out the most overpowered devil fruit ability user ever.

Admiral Kizaru is just a watered-down Enel, let's be honest here.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, I love 'em both though. Kizaru's just got such a fun personality/style. You could say Enel's like one of the only One Piece villains to actually accomplish his goal, right? I mean, he made it to the Moon. It's just that he happened to be a psychopath and add other extra goals like "kill loving everyone and destroy Skypiea while I do it".

Pretty much, yeah.

I still think that whole moon base of operations with the robots is gonna bounce back into the plot somehow. I'd go so far as to say it might be tied in to the superweapon Uranus, which wasn't even mentioned as a thing till the end of Fishman Island but i'm not holding my breath here.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Wait how the hell does that work out?

You get your rear end beat by a pirate pre time skip and get a promotion from CP9 to CP0? :shepface:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Tolth posted:

I suspect you get a free pass when said pirate later charges into a fight with your entire leadership structure and makes it out unscathed.

Yeah but Lucchi was already there in disguise before Luffy started laying the beatdown on Doffy and the gang. Given how Aikanu was spitting hot fire over the new admiral apologizing to the country, it's hard for me to buy that Aikanu would let that slide, even with Lucchi/Aikanu's practice of 'Dark Justice'. There's definitely more to the story here, I figure it's got something to do with the Elder Stars or whatever they're called forcing their hand despite his objections.

On another story beat! Doffy's wrapped up in chains, pegged to the floor monitored by that 'give-no-fucks' lady marine and he's still delivering those trademark warped philosophical speeches? Stay golden flamingo, never change that spirit :allears:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I thought Dragon was his biological dad? What's afro dude got to do with it

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450643363"]
Maybe someone brought it up, but is it possible that Shiki is the 7th shichibukai? There's a person with his hair grouped with the shichibukai, and he's supposed to be an old timer based on him having a connection with Zephyr, right? And isn't it about time Oda brought him into the story proper?

Don't bet on it

Shiki is a movie exclusive villain that had a throwaway line in one panel outside of chapter 0 to help promote the 10 (?) year anniversary film. He had his time in the sun, got chumped at the end, he's out of the picture for good.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

When was Joy Boy first mentioned in One Piece? The wiki says it was at Fishman Island but I could have sworn it was earlier than that late in the game

Maybe it was Skypeia?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

You know what would be loving nuts?

If Kaidou ended up being the Floridian Triangle monster :v:

He did take out Moria's crew after all, I wouldn't put it past him to keep tabs on the dumbest Warlord just to be a dick

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

It totally is but a man can dream. Make my poorly thought-out fan speculation come true Oda :tinfoil:

White Light fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 26, 2015

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Gyges posted:

Brook is the only one to turn down fame and fortune so that he can go pirate with some kids young enough to be his great grand kids. And also go see a whale.

I wouldn't say 'turn down' so much as given up. 'Turning down' implies that he walked away before he got famous, whereas he was already famous from his two-year music tour and then just lost interest.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Allarion posted:

Also yeah, I just remembered that Luffy practically never knows anyone's backstory when he decides to punch the villain in the face, because he always falls asleep when it's told.

He doesn't even know Nami's backstory; he got bored and walked off!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

He pushed out the abstract notion of "exhaustion" and "pain" from Luffy's body so... yes.

Kuma's DF is so comically overpowered that, while on one hand I thought he was an awesome character, on the other I hope he never comes back because he would unbalance pretty much everything.

Nah, he's only as 'broken' as every other Warlord out there; he's a monster in a fight but not untouchable.

Every Warlord has that 'Ace in the Hole' move that makes them seem horribly broken/unbalanced in the grand scheme of things; Kuma had that massive air pressure nuke, Crocodile has his dryness 'Touch of Death', Doffy has his Birdcage. They're all designed to make them seem like an unstoppable force of nature only to be overcome in the end.

So I mean, yeah, Kuma has some overpowered abilities, but there are a fair chunk of dudes out there that have skills that outrank his spectrum of powers, so I wouldn't say he's the dude with the biggest DF dick on the Grand Line.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I wonder what kind of fruit Kaidou has. It's gotta be a Mythical Zoan fruit of some kind, something that would cause guys like Marco the Phoenix to poo poo a brick

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Jose posted:

he's not going to have one and just be insanely strong so nobody can kill him, including gravity

Nah, I ain't buying it. He's known as Kaidou of the Beasts, it'd be weird of he was the only dude who had no fruit.

I feel like the only dude who shouldn't have a fruit is Roger or something

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I mean he's called 'The Strongest Creature Alive' while Whiteboard was known as the Strongest Man in the World. That's gotta be a big shoe-in for a fruit ability, Oda loves cramming in clues any chance he gets.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450775543"]
Kaido has the demon demon fruit.

He transforms into Akuma, works for me

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Jose posted:

he was brooks shadow put into the corpse of a famous swordsman

That was a pretty kickin fight now that I think about it. Short too, and I think Zoro lit his sword on fire or something?

One of those super moves he's never pulled out of his bag of tricks since then

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Zoan fruit Ancient Ones class: model Cthulhu

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

How many more posts till we get to the Blackbeard Cerebus fruit theory, take your bets ladies and gents

EDIT: Dorohedoro is pimp, Kaido's fruit turns him into En

White Light fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 29, 2015

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Amorphous Blob posted:

We can agree that unstoppable bird cage attacks are dumb, right? While I'm at it, Law cutting the mountain in half was also a load of BULLSHIT and Vergo was a great Strong Man fighter.

e; Pink is my favorite Mingoman just cuz his backstory is so terrible.

If it weren't for the birdcage every single person who was a toy would have hiked it out of Dressrosa the minute they changed back.

It's sort of a moot point to complain about really because it's so integral to how he kept things from falling apart as his ultimate failsafe

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

No one should win against a guy with unbreakable birdcage powers. Just make a small birdcage around Luffy and he's done. Oda didn't think it through.

You really think he could birdcage a fast moving target? It's only use is wide area containment, it'd be too difficult on small spaces

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

QuantaStarFire posted:

I'm not sure I'd care at this point. Sanji's become kind of gross over the years. He was really cringeworthy in Film Z in particular.

He's past the point of redemption I'm afraid.

This is the man who had a nosebleed so violent it could have filled an entire hospital wing's worth of blood drive donations. Not from a kick in the face from a fight or something manly, just from being a general perv at Fishman Island with a rude pair of titties in his face, and it became an actual plot point in the story arc.

The days of Mr. Prince are long gone

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

That is relatively tame in comparison

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

I'm really glad Film Z isn't canon and the real Sanji isn't drooling over midpubecent girls.

:stonk: what

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Kaido has the nyan-nyan fruit, which makes him incredibly lucky(that fortune cat thing) and immune to height damage passively, but makes him sprout adorable kitty ears and whiskers when he activates it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I wanna know who has the balls to take on the ships housing a current Admiral, the former Fleet Admiral of the entire marine organization, two (?) Vice Admirals and one butthurt Warlord.

EDIT: No chapter this week? Must be a break week, bizarre Japanese holiday or something else

White Light fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 30, 2015

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I feel like we're gonna be getting into the really weird stuff from here on out. An entire island halfway on fire and half frozen solid seems relatively tame in comparison :stare:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

ThingOne posted:

The Sunny's chained to one of Zou's legs. :aaa:

I don't see it? :confused:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm wondering what the hell Ceasar's purpose is gonna be for the rest of this arc. I thought for sure he'd end up getting ditched one way or another somewhere in Dressrosa or captured by Big Mom so the Straw Hats could escape, but I didn't expect him to outlast Doflamingo of all things

What's your end game here Oda, color me curious

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

He tortured children for years, ain't happenin' bro

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

If he can make it work, do it Oda.

I'd rather have him than Jinbei, the most boring character in recent memory. That's right you wolves, I'll fight every last one of you over my words, don't hold back now

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I wish Jinbei kept that look, it's way better than what he's sporting now

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

God drat, Sabo must've done a loving number of Jesus if he only just managed to wake up now. I mean, the ease in which Sabo dominated against Jesus really knocks down the supposed power of the BB pirates a peg. Granted, they probably have tricks up their sleeves. But still.

It's not too hard to believe when you really think about it; Sabo is Dragon's number 2 in command, who was doing just fine in the New World without his snazzy new Logia fruit abilities. Did you see how he took out that entire arena with a single shot? Dude hits like a locomotive, adding one of the strongest OP abilities on top of that is just cruel.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

It's actually been long enough that I don't even remember what any of my particular problems with Skypiea were, just that I recall generally disliking it.

For anybody following either of the Jojo threads though, I first read Skypiea around the same time I read Part 4, and I disliked Part 4 back then too so I'm not inclined to take my past opinions on One Piece all that seriously as I forge ahead into the future.

I think it's just mainly cause of the length to be honest. I know you already mentioned it but it bears repeating cause it's always been the biggest flaw of the arc.

This was Oda's second Large Scale Story Arc; unlike Alabasta, it didn't have the momentum carrying into it from any previous islands that helped culminate into an epic showdown at the final island stop. I feel like that went a long ways towards setting up the pacing of that arc since we got enough breaks in between to get a general investment in Vivi and her plight, as well as flesh out the crew a bit more past the East Blue introduction.

Skypeia had none of that; it basically had to build everything lock, stock and barrel from the ground up, with only Jaya offering as the set up. That's tough for any writer to handle, especially since the mythical nature of Sky Island itself had little bearing on the overall plot of the world politics, which seem to be what determines what's deemed a 'good' arc or not by fan consensus.

It was more of a learning experience for Oda than anything I feel, and I'd say it was because of those pacing mistakes he made in Skypeia that greatly affected how the pacing and stakes of the next arc were handled.

I look at Skypeia as a stop that answered the call of the general weirdness that the Grand Line promised us back in the East Blue days when everything was exaggerated to legendary status via word-of-mouth and rumors of all the crazy poo poo that goes on over there, spoken by people who had never visited the Line and weren't going to anytime soon.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Why do some posters consider Fox's devil fruit ability overpowered? It felt more gimmicky to me than anything else.

Someone explain this tin foil hat reasoning to me :tinfoil:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Cracked did an article that used a lot of examples from One Piece

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-fans-get-so-defensive-over-anime/

I laughed at the quick jab at Bleach

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

drat, who knew Cracked was so reviled around this part of the internet. Color me surprised!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

In my search for the original I found that this got updated.

I don't really understand what's going on in that last bleach panel but I'm not sure I want to cause it's ten times funnier that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I can't tell who the first face is. Second is Aizen and third is YWACH, but is the first one... Kubo?

It's Kubo all right, no other mangaka wears shades like that

EDIT: Kubo's Wild Ride ahaha jesus christ