Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Senor Pink for next cover arc please.
Can Shonen Jump even legally publish something that hardboiled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm imagining Law with the same sparkly eyes just off-panel, and it's cracking me up. I'm anticipating great things when the crew meet up with this ninja. :allears:
I am half-expecting Naruto jokes to come up, such as Law asking to examine Ryouzou's eyes to see if there's anything up with them. Naturally, Luffy's first question (after asking him to join up) will be to aks if the ninja can poop quietly.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Space-Bird posted:

It's pretty interesting that most one piece fans have such a dislike for naruto and bleach. To be honest I never cared much for naruto and bleach either. Maybe it's because one piece often gets lumped in with them due to genre?
I guess one piece is a weird outlier that is also the most successful shonen series in existence.
For the longest time, Bleach, Naruto and One Piece were Shonen Jump's biggest names in the magazine. As such, a rivalry springing up between fanbases was inevitable and for a while, Bleach and Naruto held fast while One Piece had to struggle outside Japan thanks to factors like 4Kids screwing over the anime. Then around about 5-6 years ago, the former two began stumbling and slumping while One Piece kept on trucking forward at a continuous pace. It's not helped by One Piece managing to hold onto its readers (both in Japan and outside Japan), while Bleach and Naruto gradually lost readers over time (I'm a former Bleach and Naruto reader myself, and checked out of both after Aizen's painfully excruciatingly drawn out defeat and Itachi's death, respectively) as well as other titles taking their place such as Toriko in the big headliners. It's basically a story of how three massively popular series all took different paths once hitting the big time, and how people reacted to them.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mr. Fowl posted:

If this is how Robin is going to be now, I'm on board. Black comedy and gushing over poorly drawn dragons is my jam.
Robin's usually had a more sour but semi-rational outlook on things. I guess this is the next evolution of that attitude, and I too approve of this development.

But, more importantly,

Sub Harrison posted:

At long last THE BEPO ARC.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

One of the leaders of Zou gets super mad at Wano and manages to redirect the elephant to trample Wano to dust. Luffy saves Wano by punching the elephant really hard.
I will be extremely disappointed if this doesn't happen.

Or if Oda does not somehow incorporate the elephant into this arc's climax.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

I just realized that Usopp's face on the bounty poster means everyone in his home village now knows it's him and not Sogeking.
IIRC, they instantly recognized Usopp in his Sogeking poster thanks to his trademark nose. I think their reaction this time is to the whole "God Usopp" thing.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Baller as poo poo.
It is indeed.

As for the chapter, I do have to wonder why Jack would revert back to human after getting a beatdown, and still look confident? Thrilled?

I smell Haki shenanigans approaching at ludicrous speed.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gyges posted:

Generally, Zoan users are going to be strongest in either their human or midway transformations. Mamoths are notoriously lovely at punching after all.
This is Eichiro Oda, though. He'd find a way to make a mammoth drop a shoryuken on someone.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Remember when they ran that Angela Anaconda short before The Digimon movie in America?

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/12/14/one-piece-straw-hats-cosplay-for-star-wars-the-force-awakens
Now I want a C-3P0 toy with an afro.

Disney, you have one job.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I approve of the Baratie's upgrade.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Bracing for Sanji and Caesar's Big Adventure.
Watch it turn into a Bogus Journey instead.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

tsob posted:

What did it overcome to gain the title? And when? I'm guessing it was another long running manga, but I'd have no idea what off the top of my head.
My money is on Ippo or JoJo's being the former title holder.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Regarding Sanji's name being an elaborate pun, I defer to this video for my response.

Also, I am liking that some of the other Supernovas are finally getting some detail to them beyond the basics we got all the way back at Shabody. Capone was one that I never really thought would be anything special outside of a rather unique Devil Fruit power and a mafioso theme, but it seems that there's more to him after all.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

dordreff posted:

I'm looking forward to when we find out why the government wants a member of a famous assassin group "alive only". There's gotta be some real poo poo going on there.
I have a few ideas of speculation on this one.

1. The Vinsmoke family are personal assassins to the government. Is a job too much for even a Cipher Pol team? Call the Vinsmokes. Thus, the government would want Sanji alive so they can cut a deal with him to rejoin the family business.
2. The Vinsmoke family are connected all over the place and are leaning on the WG to spare their long-lost son, OR someone in the WG *is* secretly (or openly, we don't know how the Vinsmokes are seen outside of the pirate world yet) a member of the Vinsmoke family using their power to have Sanji spared from prison/execution.
3. The longshot theory is that whatever incident caused Sanji to flee North Blue is connected to the government. Perhaps young Sanji witnessed (or had a role in) a political assassination that failed, and the government wants to know what Sanji saw or did.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Now I'm not sure if I want Jimbei or Nekomamushi for next Strawhat. One can judo by sea, the other can judo by land.

Decisions, decisions...
Crib DBZ's fusion dance and combine Jimbei and Nekomamushi into one character. Dilemma solved.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Nighthand posted:

That one mink seemed interested in crashing the party with Luffy, and the crew needs to get in on this, and there's so many characters just barely introduced...

...Luffy should pilot Zou itself to the party.

Mulderman posted:

Luffy crashing a wedding on top of a giant elephant, Cat Viper gets to come along as well...

Yes. Yes I accept this.
Oda, you know what you must do now.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

My only complaint about this chapter: Usopp's newest addition to the Enelface library got cut off. What the hell, Oda?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

brainSnakes posted:

I thought the gag was since it's his bounty poster, they think General Franky is Franky legit, having finally gone all cyborg.
I too accept this as the canon explanation.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

...What are you even writing here? Are those actual fan translations?
Yes. The early fan translations of One Piece were a special kind of :psyduck:.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Star Platinum posted:

Brook is loving done with this bullshit.
He's in his 90s, it comes with the age bracket.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

dazoner posted:

Kidd, Scratchman and Hawkins seem to be fine
Law became a Shichibukai
Marlon Brando works for Big Mam
Drake works for Kaido
Luffy is killing it
Urouge seems to be fine.

The only one we don't really know about is Bonney
IIRC, we saw Bonney in disguise right after Dolflamingo got defeated. She shrunk herself to kid-sized in what I'm assuming was some attempt to escape from the Marines.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Is it just me or has Luffy been demonstrating more genuine empathy of late?

Also, I hope we get a flashback to Lord Oden and how he died.
I'm half-expecting the next chapter or two covering exactly that.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am prepared for the grand battle over the safety of a giant elephant. :getin:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am completely down with Davy Back 2: Vinsmoke Boogaloo.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Jose posted:

Elbaf is definitely happening before raftel too because there is no chance oda wouldn't have a party page full of giants at the end of the arc
I keep on half-expecting Elbaf to be the next arc after the current one finishes up.

I should mention that I've been doing this since Thriller Bark ended. :smith:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Welcome to the Straw Hat Pirates, temporary allies Pedro and Pekoms. The madness is only going to get crazier from here on out.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gyges posted:

The first thing you should do is write down the definition of ally on a piece of paper. Look at what you've written and make sure it's as complete a definition as possible. Now burn the page and throw the ashes overboard, secure in the knowledge that you couldn't be more wrong. Embrace the coming madness or be overwhelmed.
I honestly am looking forward to Pekoms and/or Pedro giving us the newest entry in the Enelface Library. :allears:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I love how everyone's glossed over Vivi being able to casually jump from the crow's nest to the deck of a ship and land without any injury.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cat Machine posted:

She started out as a Baroque Works ninja, it's not that far out imo
It's been eons since I've read the Whiskey Peak arc, but I don't recall Vivi being able to make giant leaps during that time period.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

Okay, serious question here.

Since when did Luffy start eating vegetables??
Either via mandate from Sanji, Chopper or Nami, or a joint mandate from all three. That's my belief.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kild posted:

at the very least she'll on on the zou group of his armada.
I would gladly approve of Luffy's armada containing a giant sentient elephant/island nation wrecking poo poo left and right. :allears:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The Oz fight has a lot of really cool team attacks from all the Strawhats and it owned.

I wonder if we'll ever see anything like it again.
I would love for Pirate Docking 6 to return, but this time Robin actually joins in (or Nami takes her place) on the action.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Also whose loving bright idea was it to let Luffy cook?
It was probably some grand plan by Oda to set something up down the road. What that plan is, we'll just have to see.

Also, One Piece is on break this week, right?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

bondster posted:

Ok that was a cool chapter,

except for the line that says no chapter next week :(
Welcome to the One Piece Experience. You get used to it. :smith:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

dordreff posted:

I can't wait for Sanji to refuse to do the group pose and Luffy to get mad at him for not joining in.
Followed by Chopper immediately calling Sanji out for agreeing to Pirates Docking 6, but not a simple group pose. :allears:

Anyhew, I'm a bit confused with Reiju. At first, I thought her ability to suck out poison meant that Magellan is now dead (possibly as the fall guy for the Impel Down jailbreak) and his fruit regrew and ultimately wound up in her possession, but now I'm wondering if this is some other Devil Fruit in play. Like, either a zoan (as others mentioned) that's immune to poison/can survive off of poisonous substances, or possibly some healing-type DF ability. As for Yonji, I foresee shenanigans happening when the two brothers reunite, seeing as Yonji managed to acquire Nami's wanted poster. Most likely during Sanji's bachelor party that will almost definitely be catered by Sanji himself.

Mulderman posted:

It's so great Mihawk and Perona apparently decided just to hang out together.
I'd totally be down for Mihawk and Perona to recreate Vinland Saga's farming arc. But alas, the closest option to seeing that happen would be an anime filler arc, and they no longer do filler based on the one-shot cover images anymore. :sigh:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd definitely wager that Reiju is a Zoan of the Moth or Butterfly type that can suck substances out of the body like poisons with no ill effect (Chou-chou Fruit, Monarch type?). Given that her number is Zero, though, I don't think she'll be part of the "sentai" since those are traditionally 1-5 with extra numbers as extra people.
Dekaranger/SPD had Doggie Krueger, who was number 00 and the team commander.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

:goonsay: He was actually number 100
In my defense, it has a been a long time since seeing either show.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gyges posted:

One Piece Manga Thread 13: We Ate A Cafe
Alternately:

One Piece Manga Thread 13: Chocolate is the new Soylent Green.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gyges posted:

Besides, I'm now invested in Pudding and Sanji's sham relationship and want them to get married and cook all the food that Luff and the crew could eat. Only not have Sanji be a subordinate of Big Mom via marriage. Maybe they can be engaged until Luffy becomes the Pirate King and they have a lovely wedding in the Baratie while it floats in All Blue. Pudding gave Luffy food, so we know that he'll destroy anything that fucks with her from this point onward.
And thus, we have our possible moral dilemma for this arc: Luffy may have to fight someone who gave him food because she's working for/heavily connected to the arc's main villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

It's all but confirmed, but I sorta agree with not making any conclusions until it's officially revealed. For all we know, there could be a set of triplets, each with a different number of eyes.
Ah, so that's where the special character who Oda gives an eyepatch to comes in.