Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The Darkness Fruit is a somewhat known quantity in OPverse. The reason Blackbeard knew about it is because It has an entry in the book of Devil Fruits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Crazy theory: Shanks's straw hat belonged to Roger.

God I wish that was lovely fan fiction.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 9, 2015

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
One of the squares in One Piece discussion bingo should be "People whining about tbp whining." The free space of course is "Posting about posting."

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Does anyone actually want Jinbei as the final crew member at this point, considering all the other much more interesting potential candidates?

He's a jinbei wearin a jinbei named Jinbei who can summon other jinbei. And throw the ocean at people. So yes.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Fair enough. I don't even remember any of this; I'm re-reading the series, but there's so much of it.

I think if I didn't keep up with this thread I wouldn't remember nearly as much as I do. I like how ridiculous Jinbei is as a character concept because he carries himself so seriously. He's just this walking contradiction. I want him to be buds with Frankie and bond over his boat :3:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Advice posted:

Oh, and a clear crease defining the sides of the vagina. That's important, too."

:confused:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Justin_Brett posted:

Is Capone a logia somehow? Seems like he just oozed in when he showed up at the table.

Presumably they are inside of him now. So he's like manifesting his presence inside of himself or something. Who know what kind of powers that gives him. As the lord of his castle he could have all kinds of abilities.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

QuantaStarFire posted:

What are the odds that every one of Sanji's family members has curly brows?

100%

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Parrotine posted:

They just popped into the scene at the halfway point of the story, and then are shoehorned into every story element Oda can think of. It's even in Luffy's backstory now, and he never mentioned it at all prior till then.

To be fair, it's totally within Luffy's character to just not mention something that important.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Asuron posted:

I think the most interesting for me in that article was that Oda showed that Minks existed way, way back in the Sabaody arc on the slave list and noone ever really tied that to Bepo. I'm really interested in seeing what these Snakeneck people look like if they ever appear

Anyone that might have linked Bepo to the Minks was drowned out by the people that didn't want to entertain the notion that Bepo was anything other than a bear that talked.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

tsob posted:

Well, he still is really. It's just, he's from an entire race of animals that talk.

Exactly.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
And I have enjoyed watching Noland's ascendance to Most Important Flashback Character. Well, other than Roger, and it isn't nearly as fun when he comes up.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
It should be noted that writing a story starring a protagonist that's already the strongest isn't fundamentally bad. It just takes someone like ONE to pull it off.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Silver2195 posted:

Toriko doesn't start out as anywhere near the strongest, though. He's famous, but there's plenty of people stronger than him.

Fair enough. I haven't read it. I was just commenting on the general sentiment of Advice's post.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
It just occurred to me that if Law cut out some small relatively nonessential bit of flesh out of two people and had them exchange....chucks, they could communicate to each other over any distance with squeezes. Like a fleshy telegraph.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
You're no fun. Also, those have a finite range. Most of them at least.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 26, 2016

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Kild posted:

or swap an ear?

They would have to usually keep it covered or something so that the two people aren't totally disoriented by the different audio, but yeah that would work too :)

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Star Platinum posted:

Yeah, just like Vivi!

The situation with Jinbei isn't anything like that though? He already said he would join. If people were saying Momosuke was going join or something like that maybe you would have a point.

Jinbei isn't technically a member yet, but there's no way it won't happen.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Star Platinum posted:

I'm still holding out hope that Oda is going for some kind of curveball twist just because he's stalling with Jinbei's joining so much, and also because Jinbei is ultimately a pretty boring motherfucker who doesn't really fit in with the rest of the crew

He'd be perfect as the leader of Luffy's fleet and occasional support character, but not much fun as a regular member

Given how long it generally takes Oda to cash in on plot threads, it doesn't feel to me like he's stalling. Especially given what we know about Big Mom, it totally makes sense that the knight of the sea would feel obligated to wrap his poo poo up with someone like her instead potentially dragging his companions into his mess.

I think he's a fun straight man who is completely unaware that he's a walking multi-layered pun. In that respect I think he'll fill the same sort of role Law does now once Law goes off and does his own thing, but with a layer of absurdity that Law would still shake his head at. It's gonna be great.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I thought Vegapunk's beams were from reverse-engineering how Kizaru's beams worked?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Somehow I'm more surprised by remixed Yann Tiersen than I am by dancing Sanji.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

What is the original song?

It's from the Amélie soundtrack. "J'y suis jamais allé"

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Luffy sums up One Piece pretty well when he says that being Pirate King is about being the most free, not necessarily the strongest. The focus is on the adventure with friends, rather than getting stronger with friends. The later is still important but not really the point, so the narrative is more free as well.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Space-Bird posted:

well except you have to be insanely strong to be free. except strength in the one piece world is about will power not muscle. It's a very very Japanese outlook but also really neat.

Yeah being strong is definitely important and definitely like you describe it. I think one of the best points that illustrates what I'm trying to say though is that training and improvement largely takes place off screen in this series, secondary to the actual adventure. Usually something like learning Haki would have it's own arc, but here that pretty much happened organically in the background until the time skip. I'm pretty sure all we had was a couple chapters of officially learning how it worked and that was that.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Unless it's how you're writing in key aspects of character development training arcs should always happen off-panel imo

Hell, the development of gear 2nd basically was a key bit of character development and it still didn't happen on-screen. It's much more fun to watch people be badasses than to watch them train to be badasses.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I think shonen training arcs are often bad because typically they're just about learning to be a better shonen protagonist. They tend not to have that much dimension. You could reductively describe Empire Strikes Back as a Jedi training arc, but it totally works because it's such an integral part of the actual story. My Hero Academia is theoretically all about training to be a badass, but it very quickly finds ways for Deku to be a badass and just learn from that.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

poo poo i'm upset that I didn't realize this.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Veskit posted:

And now that we've narrowed down that there are only 4 that matter in context to the story who really cares what the other ones said.

This is very strangely reductionist. A story is more than its plot. And even then, the plot is broader than "get to Raftel".

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Luffy's just not empathetic to the idea of "can't" and "shouldn't". These are foreign concepts to him and best avoided.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Shoren posted:

Read chapter 507 again. It's totally a thing and it's something Roger could do.

I think he was talking about it making no sense for Luffy to have Roger's power. Arguably it makes Robin's primary role redundant.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Yeah for the record I pretty much agree with you Shoren.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Something lighthearted we needed, but it didn't have to be the Davy Back fight. Despite there being a bunch of other silly things in the world of One Piece that I like, the Davy Back fight never did anything for me. It doesn't even feel like part of the world, since it has never been referenced before or since.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Captain Invictus posted:

Nami is now goku

Here's hoping she gets to use it more than once.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The only thing better than Luffy railroading his allies and watching them come to accept it was having that get turned around on Luffy when he got his armada.

All aboard the crazy train.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The only Strawhat that even approaches Jinbei's utility underwater is Sanji, and Sanji is a distant second.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Rigged Death Trap posted:

My boy sanji will parboil, poach and sous vide his way back to greatness.

I actually have some hope that this arc will redeem him somewhat. Before the time skip Sanji was my favorite Strawhat after Luffy. He was consistently the closest thing the Strawhats had to a strategist, and it was really satisfying to see him be clever.

At least Usopp and Franky have both been killing it recently.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

tsob posted:

He didn't use the war to grab those crewmates though - he used his position as a Warlord. That the war was happening at roughly the same time was essentially coincidence. Whitebeard beat Blackbeard easily. So did Sengoku. He refused to fight Shanks and a few days later he literally ran away instead of fighting Akainu despite having his entire crew there and knowing what he was doing. Akainu was such a massive obstacle he didn't mind his crew knowing he'd rather run than fight him, since they presumably understood why.

He did get Whitebeard's fruit, which was what he was there for, but it's hard to say he won when he got beat so easily twice and only achieved that when other people killed Whitebeard for him.

Blackbeard gained the most from the whole situation. The fact that he did it without actually winning any battles is not particularly relevant.

e: to this particular discussion at least. Thematically it piles on how he's a loser and a coward and all these other negative things, but he's still succeeding and marching forward with his dreams.

v exactly v

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 17, 2016

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

anime was right posted:

what if sanji only likes her right now because she has 2 eyes in that picture and gets disgusted when he finds out she has 3

That seems entirely in line with Sanji's character. I wonder how close to the last possible second it's going to happen.

Also, Carrot randomly nibbling on people is the best character quirk.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Cloks posted:

Has Brook met Dragon? He says "a picture doesn't do his presence justice".

What he said certainly makes it sound like he has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
All the lols if no one can find the last Road Ponyglyph because it's hidden on the moon.