Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think this is still my favorite panel in this comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I honestly have to wonder if the anime folks just didn't understand that in the least, or if they decided to go with what they did because they thought it was better.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pretty sure Oda just doesn't really like having women get beat the gently caress up and probably hit his limit on that with Spandam and Robin.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

He doesn't like attractive women getting beaten up. As recently as the Dressrosa arc, we had Brook slicing up Jora.

Ehhhh. It was one panel and basically all we saw were smoke-lines around where the slashes were and then she was out.

EDIT:

He pretty blatantly kept the "violence" to a minimum here - hell, the hit is more implied than anything.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 17, 2015

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Behold, a man so miserable he bitches about poo poo that hasn't even happened yet and very well might not.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The name "Devil Fruit" is actually a misdirection in itself. They are actually collectively known as "Evil D. Fruit".

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

My general assumption has been that after Enies Lobby was spent having Spandam beat the gently caress out of Robin repeatedly Oda just kind of decided he really didn't care for it much and started pulling back on that stuff quite a bit.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Advice posted:

Ah yes, Alabasta's "Miracle Water". The five guard dudes who had never existed until that very moment, and we're supposed to be floored by the gravitas of them imbibing a substance we had never heard of before, one that apparently gives incredible power but kills you in five minutes. The promptly jobbed out immediately. Truly Oda's finest hour of writing.

Sorry but this owned just for Crocodile being a huge dick and just moving out range to let them die on their own.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Amazon Lilly has a small, concentrated population of powerful folks that are good at fighting. I don't think there's much of a stretch in the Kuja being pre-disposed toward Haki with that in mind.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Well, she also doesn't know that Jack ran right the gently caress into Fujitora and Sengoku.

Knowing how badly he fucks up does nothing but positive things for that flashback :allears:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MHA is good but boy I can't wait til 10 years down the line when folks start to turn on it despite no actual difference in quality.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I hope Jinbei meets back up with them soon.

He's the best.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'd like for Jack to run into Jinbei on his way back to Zou because I want this again but with a bigger dude

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Half a chapter per episode what the gently caress :psyduck:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

I think his unproductive way of going about things is actually a big part of why he has a 1 billion bounty.

Pretty much. As with Kidd, actively destroying towns and killing folks inflates the poo poo out of one's bounty.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Asuron posted:

To be fair for Luffy that was only because had to use Gear Four to beat Doffy in time.

It honestly felt like he was more than Donflamingos match normally and Donflamingo only forced him to use it because he was closing the cage, so Luffy needed a quick win.

Yeah, Luffy goes into that fight with every confidence he could beat him normally - he just wasn't willing to gamble that he could beat him in time that way. It's just that Doffy then surprises him with Awakening to gently caress that plan up and put him in a situation where he needs to recover for a bit.

And we saw what happened when Luffy was taking Awakening into account :v:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The big announcement will be moving to two episodes a week.

They will each cover one quarter of a chapter.

Toei!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

As for why they wouldn't, remember that even as Whitebeard was attacking Marine HQ, Kaidou was trying to flank him and only didn't bust the whole thing up because Shanks intervened to stop him. It'd be a nightmare to stage such an attack only to be hit in the back by another Emperor.

Honestly, the Emperors basically act as checks on one another

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Luffy's thing is that he has to be able to beat the gently caress out of any single person that tries to harm his crew because not everyone in his crew is strong. It's not really as much about status as it is about his role as captain in making sure he can protect his friends that he wants to sail with. This was actually a pretty big undercurrent to the Lucci fight - if Luffy couldn't hold him back and beat him, Lucci 100% would have killed the entire crew. It's a principle that applies pretty easily to several of the antagonists we've seen since.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

wanna be friends with dem sharks

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Goons are the people that would go on a boring adventure.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Then maybe he wasn't setting that up at all

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Genocyber posted:

You're praising OP's not-ki and dissing Sanderson's well-crafted magic systems. I guess this thread is the Bad Opinion Zone.

systems that are overly known and over-explained to the point where any and all wonder is squeezed out of what is supposed to be a fantasy setting should, imo, be dissed as thoroughly as possible

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

That cover is so great :unsmith:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, harpies, people who can make arms appear on poo poo, villains like that just aren't meant for the One Piece crew.

her being a lovely fit it has nothing to do with abilities and everything to do with monet being an utterly terrible person who abused children

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sinners Sandwich posted:

So pretty much nothing like Fishman Island changes have happened in the anime, right? That was just a one time mistake

they also turned kong gun from doffy immediately getting btfo by it to a loving beam battle.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Crocodile was originally Chocodile

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Lord_Magmar posted:

Isn't it that the more you fight or threaten the world government the higher your bounty, hence Robin having a bounty as a child for being a threat to the World Government's historical revisionism?

No, he has it right.

Kidd and, more recently and especially, Jack have highly inflated bounties because they don't care about civilians and cause a lot of destruction.

I mean that other stuff can still be a factor but it's established by now that being a huge pillaging gently caress makes your bounty skyrocket.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think he should, because Luffy isn't a little bitch and is gonna be the Pirate King.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

the doffy fight is a poor gauge because he only used gear 4th due to being under a time limit

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

you are like a bad penny

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Free Matey

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

One Piece loving owns

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm pretty sure a Kong Gun don't give a gently caress about Bege's power

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

probably the only reason pudding's life got better (besides stabbing folks) is that her third eye ended up being potentially useful to Big Mom's ambitions

so this largely works for me.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

pudding will be a good, evil wife

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

People who think Robin was entitled to that fight are strange to me.

Like how the gently caress do you "steal" a fight against the dude that killed your wife

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

too bad kyros and rebecca were good

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

rebecca got to hold a cute birthday party for her dad and im glad of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm glad Kyros was a good Hulk Dad and took responsibility for his daughter's safety. I'm very sorry Oda didn't write the story you wanted him to write.