Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm really not too keen on the kid actors on the show, despite how much other people seem to be liking them. I actually sort of think Bruce could/should be a far more background character that is quietly leveling up without anyone noticing, but then I think we mostly lose Alfred, who is one of the great bits of the show.

I'm sort of thinking that we could almost replace the Bruce Mystery Adventure with Alfred doing the work for him by proxy. Alfred allowing kid-Bruce to do in-house investigating on his own to a point, but Alfred thinks it's too dangerous and ends up being the one who is starting to do legwork and investigate the Wayne stuff for Bruce in an attempt to protect him and distract people from Bruce being the real driving investigating force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Waltzing Along posted:

The stupidest thing about Jerome "inspiring" another Joker is that Joker is insane. Totally bonkers. He isn't inspired to ACT a certain way because of something he saw. He isn't acting.

Bad writing. Dumb writing.

I could sort of see the idea of the situation, environment and people making up Gotham, though, being as such that in the same way it produced the perfect Batman, it could similarly and seemingly spontaneously produce a perfect Joker.

Sort of like how Bruce decided to become a Bat because a bat flew through his window and he took it as a sign: Jerome and his madness ultimately being as the Joker's bat, a sign of what THE Joker will become.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

I honestly prefer this approach, one that Agents Of SHIELD shares, using the concepts behind a few villains to spur on a season long plot. Hell, I think there are probably a few too many rogues for my liking, running around and pulling hijinks. Riddler is really getting the short end of the stick.

On that note, one of my mates suggested that Kris Kringle's outfit was very Poison Ivy in this episode -- red hair, green top. Plus, there's the constant bevy of suitors that are swarming around her. I guess we'll see what's going on there when Nicholas D'Agosto (Dent) starts turning up again, but I really like that idea. Hell, she's certainly some kind of hosed up at this point -- she's got the destined to be a serial-killer name, and she's way too smart to not know that Ed's up to something. Posion Ivy, Calendar Girl, female Riddler? I'd be up for any of those plots.

When she was first introduced, I sort of figured they were going to end up going a Dexter route with her: Working in the records room she's got a list of the 'naughty and nice' of Gotham and occasionally kills people that the GCPD and DA can't stop.

Given how uneven the first season was, I still sort of believe that they maybe toyed with the idea of the crazy killer person that Barbara became was initially meant for her and Eddie's progression into supervillainy was out of puppy love trying to protect and get close to her, even down to emulating her green clothes/reddish hair style.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I just caught up on the first handful of episodes of this season and the general feel of the show and the difference between this season and last makes it feel almost like it's a remake of Gotham than a continuation of the first season.

The Rise of Villains subtitle comes off almost as a maybe trying to mark that this is maybe a much better starting off point for new viewers than trying to go back to season 1 and people can almost pretend like THIS is the real first season of the Rise of Villains-era.

Penguin made a comment, though, that sort of got me thinking: A year ago he was holding Fish Mooney's umbrella and he's killed or exiled all his former bosses and taken their power and runs the underworld of Gotham.

Despite his power, Galavan is now bossing him around. This sort of makes me wonder if this is going to be the start of an arc that sees Penguin repeating what happened to him in the first season, essentially usurping Galavan's plan to take over Gotham and make it his own. It would maybe be a bit of an homage to the Cobblepot for Mayor plotpoint of Batman Returns and one of those Elseworlds books. Oswald stepping out of the shadows of the Gotham underworld to recreate himself in the eyes of the public to make him appear a lot more legitimate than he is.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I was sort of expecting Riddler's arc to eventually be less split personality and more him sort of justifying and excusing his crimes using messed up logic.

That doctor he set up? I sort of figured that the doc WAS stealing body parts and Eddie knew it and figured, "He's going to get caught sooner or later, I might as well just stage things to happen so he gets caught for it now so I get my job back."
The cop he killed? "Well, you know, he would have just been killed during the mob war, killed himself when Barnes fired him or died when the Maniax burst into the station, anyway! I don't even feel 'guilty' about it, if I think of it like that..."
Etc.

edit: I know it's likely not an established take, but I could see some of that as part of A take on the evolution of the Riddler or something: Him acting as if he's not really doing anything 'wrong' because he's just doing what he believes was due to happen anyway with or without his involvement.

Electronically swindles a bank of $100K? The bank manager is already doing that, so all he did was divert the money to himself, instead.
Steals a bunch of personal information from a database? People unwittingly, unwillingly and unknowingly gave it up to that database in the first place, so why should they mind HIM having it any more than the government or big business?
Hijacks a shipment of ancient antiques? These treasures have been stolen back and forth for centuries. Doesn't he have as much right to them right now via his methods as anyone else who has possessed them over the years?

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 9, 2015

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah I really expected Alfred to point out that a good man doesn't extort kids to clean out corruption.

But he's totally cool with Bruce exploiting kids to fight crime later in life.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Something about Barbara's crazy turn makes me think she'll be eventually 'adopting' Ivy Pepper at some point.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Gotham Season 2 has been so fun for me that I'm really hoping that Season 3 keeps going this way. I almost wouldn't be surprised if Bruce didn't carry on with something akin to the Damien Wayne Robin outfit next season to be a secret crime fighter himself.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Gotham is the only show I'm bothering to watch anymore, for some reason, and I'm really happy I stuck with it. I can't explain WHY I'm liking this show so much, though.

Last night's episode was fun as heck and was that a Court of Owls in the teaser for next week?

Firefly's got a degree of creepiness to her in just that first reappearance and Bruce must be taking driving lessons from BvS Batman.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d6Yb-4iR7A

Eh... drat it Gotham, don't let this season go out on a down note. Please, for the love of God, we were getting back together and then this happens.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
From that promo, I get the feeling that they're going to play something like Fish is so strong willed that Strange's attempts to imprint a false personality on her won't work like they do with everyone else.

Burning_Monk posted:

Bicondova looks a lot older without the curls.

I sort of wonder if there is a practical reason for the specific change this episode, though. Didn't she usually wear a hoody or a baggier knit cap with her curly hair?

The look of her outfit sort of makes me think that she's possibly wearing a knit hat/wig combo in part because the actress (or stunt double) might be in some scenes involving open flame and they wanted a more flame-resistant outfit or something. Not saying it's going to be a LOT of real flame all over the place, but maybe some bits of environmental bits that for additional safety they had to protect whichever performer a bit more than usual.

edit: A potential spoiler, but the imdb page for next week's episode has an image in their photo gallery of a character I didn't see in the promos: Clayface
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4371270/?ref_=tt_eps_cu_n

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 12, 2016

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I've missed the last episode, but on the subject of Ivy Pepper: There was a comment in an earlier episode with her character that I don't think ever got touched upon in more recent ones, and I'm sort of surprised given what's been happening at Indian Hill.

When Selina finds a sick Ivy somewhere, she tells her she needs to get some medical help or something. Ivy's really sickly response is someting about how she doesn't want to see any more doctors.

As the Indian Hill/Pinewood Farms was developing, I was sort of expecting that there'd be a reveal at some point that Ivy was going to turn out to also be part of the Indian Hill/Arkham experimentation or study.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
That flashback of the death of the Waynes made me see how much that kid has aged in the last few years.

There was a moment with the new Fish I was sort of hoping they'd reveal her to essentially be like the Queen Bee of Young Justice, in a way, where her powers didn't work on most women.

The other thing I was thinking was the way she was driving was that she'd end up getting in a crash and getting left on life support or something. Her coming back with mind control powers and setting up a ruthless crime empire from a hospital bed, using doctors, nurses, visitors, criminals, etc.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
With the Court of Owls, didn't they (re)introduce Bruce having a brother that his parents never told him about that grew up in a medical institution? The kid being Thomas Wayne Jr. is maybe a thing in the Gotham universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I'm sort of hoping there's a time jump. The actors who play Bruce and Selina are able to be aged up a bit more easily, but the girl who played Ivy just couldn't? Also, it maybe gives them a window to just let us jump into a Gotham City that has been inundated with metacriminals for a few years and the eventual return of Jim Gordon to Gotham after a long absence.

Burning_Monk posted:

They seriously should have just used another character and let Ivy Pepper be that weird girl who likes plants more than abusive people.

Yeah. Pamela Isley/Poison Ivy should be her own character and Ivy Pepper be Ivy Pepper. The other alternative is that Ivy Pepper sort of becomes a proto-Poison Ivy that ends up creating the Poison Ivy mythology/persona for Pamela to adopt later. Something like that when a new lady with plant powers shows up in Gotham after a few years, 'just call her 'Poison Ivy', like we did the other one.' Sort of like how Scarecrow's dad had a strange fear obsession thing that will be carried on by his son, Jerome inspired the madness of other in Gotham, etc.

• Locked thread