Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

It makes a little more sense when you realize that the Galient in that picture is a combiner. I don't believe this is true before Galient gets its mid-season upgrade, but after that point it absolutely is shown it can detach the upper portion bird portion to fly around while the bottom half scoots around being a tank.

It doesn't necessarily make it any less lazy, but it does make it a little more goofy and that's always a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My super short review of Galient is that it's a series with a cool aesthetic that it doesn't capitalize on as well as I'd like, it has some great characters (and a couple of terrible ones), and it has a wonky-rear end ending. It's very definitely a Takahashi show and I'm always up for that, but it doesn't quite come together.

There is one particular thing about the ending that always stuck out at me as kind of weird and wonky, but I have to go WAY into the deepest deep end of spoilers to elaborate on this so if you actually want to watch it please do so and then come back to tell me I'm wrong, THIS MEANS YOU!

Also I don't know how kosher it is to do this, so if I shouldn't have done this let me know and I will promptly excise it.

My problem with the show is that I wish that Jordy and Marder actually had, like, conflict? Like besides the obvious giant robots with swords battling it out conflict. Yes, Marder is the bad guy who wants to conquer the world and leads a fascistic military regime and is keeping Jordy's mom as a prisoner, but he and Jordy are looking in totally different directions. Marder is constantly going on about he's a Shadow Mirror who wants to break up the stagnancy of the Crescent Galaxy with a big interstellar war, but all this is something Jordy knows basically nothing about and couldn't really care less about. And maybe it's justified that he doesn't care because on some level it doesn't matter, Jordy is fighting for Arst, his home, its people, and the scope of the conflict in immediacy is entirely limited to the battle for Arst and moreover winning this war will end Marder's ambitions before they ever even get off the ground, so on some level Jordy doesn't need to care why the bad guy who is directly doing bad things is doing those bad things since his motivation to fight is self-evident. The thing is, though, that when Marder starts waxing philosophical he basically stops engaging with Jordy entirely. They're fighting and you understand why they're fighting, but it still feels kind of odd they're fighting each other for totally different reasons and this goes basically unexamined and it stands out considering how much of Galient's latter portion is comprised of Hilmuka and Uzuben arguing the relative merits of Marder's position. With how much time is spent hashing out the villain's position you'd think there'd be more time for the actual hero of the piece should say "no, you're wrong you psychotic warmonger", but he really never does.

Also Chururu is totally useless and Hy Schultat is the stupidest motherfucking dumbfuck.

Still, fun show and Hilmuka is incredibly awesome. I do not regret watching it and would probably recommend it, warts and all.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Having seen Giant Gorg I'll recommend it with few reservations as a fun and eminently watchable series. It's definitely more of a kid's adventure show than a mecha show (Gorg is often totally unimportant to the precedings), but it's helped by some interesting writing and pretty great cast of both kids and adults. Also it has a ridiculously starstudded voice cast, with a surprising number of people doing good work even before they got their lifetime meal ticket roles.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kanos posted:

I have no idea who's even paying dollars to consume all the Eureka Seven media they keep putting out, considering every single production since the series has been progressively more awful and terrible.

This doubly so because after Pocketful of Rainbows and AO it felt to me like the production people behind it nakedly loathed both the franchise and anyone who is a fan of it. And it has, to an extent, worked seeing as I have found in all my time online exactly one single person who actually liked AO all the way through.

If you told me somebody was trying to pull a Producers on this franchise I'd be totally willing to buy it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm a little pleased you highlighted some of the same stuff I saw as a problem in Galient a page back in my massive pile of spoilers. And I ultimately agree, Galient is pretty good but not good enough to recommend without reservations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

:emptyquote:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gripweed posted:

Ultraman Z is basically live action Patlabor, but with an Ultraman

Well you've sold me on the show.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I feel completely unable to talk about SEED's openings because I literally can't tell them apart. I like most of DESTINY's, never was a Wings of Words person though.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Anshu posted:

Both? The former wouldn't exist without the latter, and I don't think her character needed to be redeemed. Furthermore, reducing her importance the way they did was the most egregious example of a broader trend in the films to transfer narrative weight away from the female cast.

I'm in the same boat. Grace in the TV series was an incredibly good villain, one of the best out and out unapologetically bad people I've ever seen in a series. She was a compelling, well used, well done person who was just The Worst. If she was similarly good through/during/after her redemption that would be one thing but she really isn't. The decision to turn her face and play her as just a puppet for the literally faceless conspiracy turned her from an incredible villain into a person who dies tragically, and there are many better examples of the latter than there are the former.

Also I just finished Planet With, and the fact it wasn't brought up in the discussion of "Extremely good mecha anime in recent years" makes me sad because I can say I adored that series.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

A friend of mine who watched the original Aquarion said he spent the first half agitating for them to focus on the plot and the second half really pining for one-off episodes. I think that's a pretty fair assessment of the franchise as a whole.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Schwarzwald posted:

A super robot show that hasn't been brought up yet is the 00s was Daikumaru Gaiking. I'd honestly consider it one of the more enjoyable robot shows of its decade, it's just a lot of fun all the way through.

New Gaiking is one of my favorite Super Robot shows. It's an absolute blast.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kingtheninja posted:

What are the macross frontier movies like? I'm going through the series for the first time in 12 years (it's still awesome) and plan to watch the movies after.

If you want my take I'll say they're sometimes better and sometimes worse than the series. Along with the standard bits of recapping the series there are some really great inspired parts, some parts with really great action, some desirable and positive changes, and some really kind of bleh changes. I'll say I prefer the ending of the series to the ending of the movies, but I'll also say the last 30 minutes of movie 1 is some of my favorite Mecha stuff period.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

In other mecha news they just announced an anime adaptation of Getter Robo Arc next year. Holy crap.

https://twitter.com/getterrobot_arc/status/1323097536064712704?s=20

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Shaezerus posted:

the Alpha-games version explicitly had a super mode nobody could figure out how to activate

Alpha Gaiden has one point where Kouji says he's going to activate said super mode explicitly to stop a rampant Shin Getter, with the subtext of "This won't last long, and this is probably going to turn out really really bad, so it's my very last ditch option". I also always just assumed that Kaiser Nova in the Alpha 3 was Kouji turning on God mode for a couple of seconds and then just outputting all the Photonic Energy he could get in one extremely huge blast.

Alpha 3 also has a bit where Ryouma noting that the Shin Getter's power output is elevated from normal (which is, if I recall, something like 3 or 5% theoretical maximum) and thinking that that's probably a really bad sign... He also says in the ending of Alpha 3 that Getter energy had started waning because the big battle for the sake of the universe was over and a lot of the cosmic forces that had been being tapped were basically leaving because they weren't needed in that time anymore.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

He just likes killing people and breaking stuff.

I mean, it's literally why he became a Getter pilot.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if hayato hadn't become a getter pilot he would have almost certainly ended up as one of those serial killers who mutilate their victims in ridiculously elaborate ways.

Yep, in one timeline he ends up a terrifying mass murderer, and in the other timeline he doesn't have a giant robot.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pyronic posted:

Cross Ange is one of those shows that I absolutely would recommend to people without all the sexual violence.

So Super Robot Wars V/X.

ImpAtom posted:

The best way to experience it is SRW where they dedicate entire stages to nothing but dunking on him, including stages in multiple games where every single female cast member makes it clear he is a worthless pathetic scumbag.

Basically this. The final battle with him in SRW V has the entire female cast calling him a lovely awful creepy loser and his response is to go into an Incel rant about how he's GOING TO GO HIS OWN WAY!

Then you kill him.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Embyro kinda falls flat when his counterpart is Tusk who is just as gross but in the harem protagonist way. Like “oops tripped into your crotch” and “gotta tie Ange to the bed naked for some reason to search her for weapons!”

Another point for SRW: Tusk is barely in it in basically any capacity.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Buddy Complex is one of those shows where you can play the SRW it featured in prominently and miss basically nothing.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

free hubcaps posted:

is panzer world galient any good? i dig the mechanical designs and the OP slaps

It's a mixed bag. The designs are great and there are a lot of great characters and episodes, but the lead is kind of boring, the designated love interest for him sucks so hard that she is an active hindrance for the heroes, and the rival character is so dumb it amazes me that he that he can dress himself in the morning.

The show also loses the thread of its plot about 70% of the way in, to the point that the hero and villain are functionally in completely separate stories by the end. The show has some really great episodes and really great concepts, but it's also got some pretty apparent flaws.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

didn't they somehow get their rights to macross renewed a few years back? no one could explain why that happened.

The explanation that makes sense is that their contract was written such they had unilateral rights to renew it. Which sucks immensely.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'll believe it when I see it. Harmony Gold has not exactly been in good financial straits for quite a while now, license or no license. Moreover, Harmony Gold has made it extremely clear their interest with Macross has only ever been to make more Robotech (this is how they got into legal trouble in the first place!), and since there almost certainly isn't going to be any more Robotech (remember all those failed crowdfunding projects?) if they are actually going to be releasing more Macross it's going to probably have to be as Macross. Again, these people are dinosaurs, their one successful franchise could only have existed as it did due to a mix of Zeitgeist related things in the 80s and having to do with 80s broadcasting standards. The needle for licensing and dubbing anime has moved tremendously since Robotech was a big deal.

As for the live-action movie they've been trying to make that since 2007 at least. I will believe it when I see it, because until it actually comes out it has as much reality as that live-action Akira movie people up and trying to make forever, or that live-action Cowboy Bebop movie (remember that thing?) I believe the most recent news on that Robotech movie was from a couple years back where director number six or whatever said flat out that they didn't have a budget to make the drat movie.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

GorfZaplen posted:

that's one of my favorite episodes

Same. Dorothy going at hyperspeed on a bicycle is an awesome visual, and the reveal that Roger had just a goddamn pile of his super fancy watches was another great gag.

beck is not a smart man. even when he managed to get one over on roger, everything else was just a big mess. also, the roger head on a rc car was hilarious.

See, on rewatch one of the things I noticed was that Beck was actually one of the canniest and most intelligent people in the show. He was just in completely the wrong drat genre. In episode nine when he reappeared he had Roger absolutely dead to rights with an incredibly good plan, but when it broke down at the very last minute he had to bust out his giant robot and got completely clowned on. Similarly his plan in episode 18 was also really good, but again when it didn't pan out he busted out his brand-new giant robot and was instantly defeated.

Beck is genuinely excellent as a planner, as a schemer, and as a manipulator for everyone and everything EXCEPT robots. In another series he would genuinely be a legitimate criminal mastermind, so it's too bad for him that he's in a super robot series where one of the leads is an android.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

A practical demonstration on humor:

chiasaur11 posted:

Comedy equals tragedy plus time.

Droyer posted:

So you're saying your posts will be funny one day?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Get hosed Harmony Gold:

https://macross.jp/news/?id=1442

quote:

Bigwest Begins Global Release of Animation “Macross” Series from April 9

Bigwest Co., Ltd. has announced the release of all works that are part of the “Macross” franchise made after 1987 to a worldwide audience from April 9, 2021. This not only includes the “Macross Delta” film currently in production, but all new material that follows it as well. This is not limited to anime titles, but also includes games, toys, live performances and other content and merchandising as well. The company has prepared an official YouTube channel as well as a Twitter account for its fans.

Twitter::@MACROSS_BIGWEST
YouTube:MACROSS ch
★“The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012” Streaming for Limited Time★
(※For outside of Japan only)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gripweed posted:

I wonder if the agreement is because of the development hell Robotech movie. Maybe one of the issues was that production companies didn't want to get involved when the rights were in such a weird situation. So Harmony Gold compromised with Big West in the hopes that it would clear the way for the Robotech movie.

Blockhouse posted:

From my understand that's exactly the situation since the other half is Big West can't interfere with Robotech

This is roughly the scuttlebutt I heard as well.

So the secondhand account which I heard, which is making a lot of assumptions and which you should definitely take with a heaping mountain of salt, is that Harmony Gold may be staking it all on that live-action Robotech movie. Allegedly, the license renewal they got for Macross in 2019 actually came with a bunch of pretty major caveats and exceptions, one of which is that if Big West et. al. have the right to call for a third party audit when it's time for a renewal of the license deal to see if Harmony Gold have been making good use of that license, and if the auditors say no then that license might just get taken away from them. If true that means Harmony Gold is over the barrel because as a brand Robotech is dead. What have they done since Shadow Chronicles some 15 years ago? They've failed a couple of kickstarters for making new animation, got a comic book running, and did a few tabletop things. Meanwhile, Harmony Gold being the lovely people they are, presumably continued to stand stalwart against any release of Macross internationally except as Robotech (that brand that they aren't doing anything with).

Their license deal was renewed in 2019, but the next renewal date is allegedly either this year or the next year and what have they got to show for it? They have successfully made nothing and prevented further monetization of the Macross IP. If you were the hypothetical third-party auditors you'd probably slap Harmony Gold in the face and be done with it, not only are they not doing anything with the license they are actively PREVENTING other people from doing stuff with that license and therefore leaving money on the table. That's just about the opposite of making good use of a license. On the other hand, if Harmony Gold can say honestly and truthfully that they're making a $100 million live-action Hollywood blockbuster based on their license, well that's a totally different story isn't it? If you are the auditor you probably let them have a license for at least another cycle to see if they can make it at the big screen.

And so the deal that got made was made. Harmony Gold gives up pretending they have the rights to anything but the stuff in the original Robotech and lets Big West and Nue and Tatsunoko and Funimation and Sony and whoever else release Macross internationally including the model kits and other paraphernalia, and meanwhile Big West and Nue and Tatsunoko all the rest leave Harmony Gold to their devices. Macross gets to go international, and all it cost was presumably agreeing to let the Robotech movie be made and screened internationally, should it ever emerge. It's a pragmatic move in many ways, if you're Big West and Nue and hate Harmony Gold's guts than all you've done is give them enough rope to let them hang themselves. You can now finally just ignore them and keep doing what you've been doing and wait for their movie to presumably bomb and wipe themselves out. Problem solved, finally.

Hell, if you're feeling cheeky you might be able to turn around and buy the IP to the Robotech brand off of the corpse of HG.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

RangerKarl posted:

My understanding was that Tatsunoko didn't really give a hoot either way, and saw the license as being more free money.

Tatsunoko's primary concern in this mess is probably confirming that they were in the right when they sold the license to Harmony Gold in the first place, which was a point of contention between them and Big West/Nue and which the courts have basically affirmed was legal as of a couple of years ago. I imagine that victory being about Harmony Gold is why they didn't just yank HG immediately and instead just allegedly shuffled around of the deck chairs with the allegedly renegotiated license deal. Of course I imagine Harmony Gold being who they are is why allegedly there is the alleged right to "are you using this license in a non-stupid way" arbitration.

HG, Big West and Nue, and Tatsunoko have all been slapping at each other for every given "other" over the rights to this one Singing Transforming Robot Jet Love Triangle Space Opera anime franchise for about as long as Robotech has existed. No matter how it went down it was messy as hell, no alleged needed for that.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I have only the barest knowledge of Muv-Luv, and nothing I've learned has ever made me want to know more.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

And that's not even her entire arsenal there. It also VASTLY underestimates how many missiles she usually fires when she busts them out, Chris has a loadout that would make a Valkyrie jealous.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Logicblade posted:

If she ever just fires one missile it's because it's mega gently caress off huge. Basically she's the best.

Alternately she needs to get somewhere fast and what better way to do that than to ride an ICBM? Of course in cases like that she usually also fires off a couple of giant missiles because when she needs to get somewhere fast it's usually because there's someone there that she wants to shoot very badly.

Shout outs also to her sniper rifle which she takes four seasons to actually fire.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The ending was everything I hoped for and more. It was unflinchingly stupid in exactly the right ways. The middle portion had some pacing problems, but man was that final arc worth it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Well, you certainly sold me on the show.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

Even if it doesn't, this year's gold medal for trolling still goes to Evangelion 3.0+1.0.

I think a problem with that plan, purely considered as trolling, is it'd be visible a mile away from the episode pacing. If there's not an episode or two to spare towards the end, then they're doing it, and everyone will know early. Also, it's just... weird, as a cliffhanger. It's basically just getting almost to the ending, then stopping and wandering off.

Looking at what information we have, it looks like we're going to get an ending. The first 7 chapters will be covered in the first 6 episodes, and there's going to be 13 episodes in total, leaving just enough space to fit in a final battle.

At the same time, the most recent episode was an entirely original exercise in framing done to introduce some of the things that were established in the manga for Shin Getter Robo. And not for the first time either, the show went out of its way earlier to introduce some new things and give flashbacks to stuff from the other manga series.

Though this might be considered a good thing vis-à-vis an ending, if they care enough to try and put in context for some of the stuff around the series it may be because they're trying to tell a complete story, ending and all.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ethiser posted:

Yeah, I can't remember any type of Black Getter in the any of the mangas.

Can confirm that it originally appeared in Getter Robo Armageddon.

And just about everything else in this episode is original material besides the main trio going underwater. The fleet getting wiped out happened, but it was slightly different and Schwartzkopf wasn't there. I have to say, I do like that the show is pulling in material from the other manga series.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

GorfZaplen posted:

What the gently caress is even happening in Getter? lol

Astonishingly, they appear to be trying to tell a cohesive, comprehensive story. And if that means pulling out all the surviving cast members of Getter Robo Go, retrofitting backstory stuff from Shin Getter Robo, and inventing entirely new giant robots to have giant robot action with the production is totally willing to do that.

I have no idea whatsoever if the show is going to turn out well or if they are going to actually have an ending for a chronically unfinished franchise, but gently caress me I am really interested in seeing where this goes.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I'm now just imagining the writers trying to come up with a good reason for the occupation and just giving up after five minutes cause they know that a better reason will be given from another series whenever it makes it into Super Robot Wars so why bother

So Sakuradite, because that series will be Code Geass.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Dear hack-assed writers of Kyoukai Senki: it is not possible to do a good version of Lalah/Four when the characters relationship is established around minute 16 of episode three and then promptly killed in the cold open of episode four. Putting aside whether doing another Lalah/Four character is even a worthy thing to be trying to do in the first place (I guess I'm not surprised that a show like this was chomping at the bit to throw a woman in a refrigerator, but still, deep deep deep sigh.), it helps for the emotional impact if the protagonist has properly interacted with the sacrificial woman for more than literally two scenes. If they barely knew each other and the woman freely and frankly admits she's getting close to the dude in large part because it is literally her job, then having a bit where the protagonist screams for 30 seconds at the dusky sky just makes me roll my goddamn eyes. Triply so because they are apparently hanging an entire story arc on the death of this minor character. Hate to break it to you guys, but the reason it worked in Gurren Lagann was because Kamina was a force of personality from minute one and he was functionally the motivator for the plot right up until his death.

Also, considering the age gap and their dynamics my reaction was less "Lalah Soon" and more one of the multiple victims from Gundam AGE.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

A Lalah or a Four is a decent plot beat, although it's been overused in the genre. "Lovers both united and torn apart by war" is a good way to illustrate the original Gundam's idea of human connections that transcend all boundaries, and it creates a very personal kind of guilt. Sure, killing Four wasn't as essential to the plot as killing Lalah, but a Zeta where she survived would almost necessarily be a much more upbeat show overall, which gets into a very different set of questions.

Meanwhile, this is just more general purpose fridging, which isn't nearly as good a narrative move. Even a really well executed example, like in Iron Blood Orphans, feels rough because it's killing off a woman primarily to motivate a male character, and this isn't well executed. We barely knew the girl, and she obviously only existed so the lead would feel sad. It's empty.

There's also the fact that Lalah was a character that added to an already established rivalry between two characters (Amuro and Char) that gave both of them new dimensions both through interacting with her and against each other. Lalah brought out a different side of Char than we'd seen before, his interaction with her put him in a mode besides his previous faces of "extremely competent and professional Zeonic soldier" and "backstabbing sneak", and Lalah's interactions with Amuro was a way for the show to explore some of the trippier aspects of being a Newtype in a way that was resonant with themes of the show.

And she caused movement between Amuro and Char, Lalah made their rivalry personal in a way that it hadn't been before. Prior to Side 6 and Lalah, Char and Amuro had never met each other face-to-face, and even after that point it wasn't until she died that I would say the two of them were truly fighting "each other". To Amuro, Char was only ever the scary pilot in whatever red mobile suit was menacing him at that moment, and to Char his rival was only ever "the Gundam", a machine not a person. Lalah meant that their final battle wasn't between "the Gundam" and "The Red Comet", it was between the characters Amuro Ray and Char Aznable. That final sword fight they have at the end of the show would not have happened without Lalah Soon, and that says something because it is a really important scene to those characters and to the original series of Mobile Suit Gundam and to the franchise as a whole for as long as those characters have existed.

Meanwhile, whatsherface is a nobody character who existed to give the main guy some man pain.

I'm not going to pretend what happened with Lalah wasn't problematic, that she wasn't shoved in a refrigerator, that there weren't some sketchy optics on it, that it doesn't suck she became a character archetype for a legion of imitators across the franchise and even the genre that rarely if ever were used particularly well (I brought up Gundam AGE for reason), but at the very least Lalah Soon had a LIFE before she died and she had a legacy that extended beyond making a guy sad. And putting absolutely everything else aside, isn't that what the death of the character is supposed to do? I guess nobody told the Kyoukai Senki writers that.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

So if anyone was concerned that Kyoukai Senki couldn't keep up the streak of being below mediocre, don't worry! They have once again managed to turn in a 3.8/10 episode!

And it comes right from the start when they have an exciting serialization fail. For reasons that the series avoids explaining lead guy and serious guy suddenly have to go into a mid-sized city from the wilderness to recharge their giant robots and covertly get parts for maintenance because suddenly both of their mechs are almost totally shot for reasons that are not explained. I was confused enough to go back to the previous episode and discovered that the next episode preview originally described what they were doing as "going on a mission" which is not actually what happens in this episode leading me to wonder if we've got some production troubles up in here. At the same time it could just be that absolutely no one cares about being consistent in the writing of the series because they don't.

Anyways, after about 10 minutes of giving the protagonist baby's first "how to be a guerrilla insurgent" (i.e.: don't talk about coming from another country's territory, shut up about having a giant robot, resistant supporters don't advertise that they are dealing in black-market giant robot parts, don't give the man with the gun a reason to be suspicious of you especially if you have a backpack full of contraband, etc.) and a fascinating little reminder that the main guy's characterization is not internally consistent we finally get to the giant robot action plot of the series and reminder that all the bad guys are cartoonishly incompetent. Basically Evil Australia decided to use protag-kun's declaration that this Evil Chinese guy was evil and literally doing human trafficking as an excuse to invade Evil Chinese territory under the pretense of "liberating" it, but then they gleefully jump at it when given the chance to massacre refugees taking shelter, in a way and a place that the Evil Chinese commander happily points out will immediately backfire on them in a stupid way and rip up their flimsy pretense. But of course what is the Evil Australian guy going to do? NOT murder a bunch of unarmed civilians clearly taking shelter from the fighting in a location that has no strategic importance after explaining the whole pretense for this battle is saving the civilians and ALSO after loudly and explicitly announcing that they don't care about that location because it has no strategic importance and they're only interested is in killing the Evil Chinese guy controlling the Evil Chinese army robots? Come on, this is Kyoukai Senki so let's not hold it against these one-dimensional mustache twirlers that they immediately shoot for a completely pointless slaughter. It's not their fault they were written this badly.

Fortunately our heroes are saved by a mix of having ridiculously powerful super AIs that can do basically anything for them and the third main character whose mech can fly (and whose partner AI comes across as really obnoxious) and you can very easily tell that most of the effort of the episode was spent on the mech flying around chopping up other robots.

As a show? Not particularly good. 3.8/10. As a viewing experience though? I am having a blast laughing at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Jesus, and I thought AO was bad enough. That's horrible, I'm glad I didn't bother with the movies. The only real Eureka Seven things are the original series and whatever SRW they appear in.

You say that, but even Super Robot Wars seems to have taken the tact of "watch the original series, give everything else a pass". E7 has only been in three games, the first series was in Z1 where it was a central plot series where the Nirvash was an incredibly good unit and the other LFOs were reliable support units that you would be happy to field. Meanwhile, on the other hand, we had Pocketful of Rainbows which was in Z2 and was not plot important and had units that kind of sucked across the board...

Meanwhile, despite making a point of Z3 being about parallel worlds converging and deliberately choosing sequels to series from Z1 and Z2 to be in the game (or running a series in 3.1 and including its sequel in 3.2), AO was conspicuously absent despite the fact that it actually might have made thematic sense for it to appear considering all the stuff that was happening in Z3. Without going way too far on a tangent, you can sometimes tell which shows Banpresto were really interested in using and which they were more lukewarm about, and all signs point to Pocketful of Rainbows being something they were not thrilled by and put very little effort into using.

dogsicle posted:

i didn't see E7 until last year so the reaction to sequel material has tended to strike me as hyperbolic. like i have no problem believing it's some level of bad (shows generally, and mecha more specifically, often are when left to balloon like that) but the original only struck me as a stylish take on stuff i had already seen in the Gundams, Evas, etc that E7 was transparent about referencing.

ultimately just makes me interested in it i suppose, like are people most betrayed by this stuff coming at it from an "E7 was my first" angle or what.

I mean, considering fans and fandom you are roughly justified in this tact, but I will point out this isn't like Nadesico which had a tonal shift people didn't like (and also the movie wasn't very good) or the aforementioned VOTOMs which had significant diminishing returns. Both those things are true (the sequels had weird tonal shifts and aren't as good as the original), but the sequels also seem to weirdly, nakedly hate themselves, the originals, and the franchise such as it exists.

And that actually is unique even among things with bad sequels. Prince of Darkness made a mess of Nadesico by maxing out on the edginess in a way that wasn't great, but I can actually watch it and get the sense that somebody thought it was a good idea and had some plan for it. Same with the VOTOMs sequels, they aren't good but somebody wanted to make them. I can go to other weird bad sequels as well, over the realm of Gundam Frozen Teardrop remains a point of fascination due to its absurdity and thoroughly bizarre priorities, but it's still clearly somebody's baby. I have not seen many sequels that viciously hate their own franchise quite as much as Eureka 7. It's not just that the sequels are bad or disappointing, it's that they are very strangely hostile to themselves. And it isn't even like Evangelion either where the Rebuild films will purposefully go out of their way to take shots at the franchise's fans and their assumptions and their desires to try and make a point or use that as a jumping off board to further the characters or concepts of the films. As far as I can tell the primary reason the follow-ups to Eureka 7 attached the franchises to make the point that it is bad and you are a bad person for liking them. It's honestly kind of baffling.

So yeah, if you're in the marketplace for a not very good watch that is weirdly confusing and possibly purposefully self-destructive I would say check them out. If you're in the neighborhood for some trainwreck viewing go ahead.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 4, 2021