Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm not super hyped. Taniguchi generally needs a good writer to partner with, and Nakashima's record is pretty spotty, with steep highs and lows even within a single series.

I've enjoyed most of his shows, certainly on a directorial level, and Nakashima seems like a good fit on the writing front as far as this genre is concerned.

Besides...Gun X Sword basically was "cowboys, except with mecha" for a fair chunk of its run. Their work should mesh well.

Pyronic posted:

My problem with CGI Mechs is that they rarely show deformation, and frequently look very light and out of place. This works better in Super Robot shows and shows that have primarily space mecha.

Studios have gotten a lot better at this over time but its still really apparent in low-budget/low-quality shows with mecha.

Well, it's a good thing the show in question seems to be aiming more towards Super Robot and/or Tokusatsu-like territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Yes, I'm enjoying Back Arrow. It's a silly show with a lighthearted mood, but the action is fun, the music is good and those in-universe concepts can be expanded in interesting ways.

Definitely not for those who are more inclined towards the Real Robot side of the genre, since it is clearly closer to Gun X Sword and Gurren Lagann in spirit.

Hell, even a little Xabungle influence for those who've seen that one (probably Tomino's most self-aware series).

By the way, they switched the OP and ED sequences around for this episode. It also seems likely they'll update them to reflect future events/characters showing up.

wielder fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 9, 2021

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

There's an early episode of Rahxephon where they seemingly skip a whole sequence or scene between episodes and only give you a summary.

That part was confusing. I'd probably understand it better now during a second watch, but it always stuck with me as a very "WTF?" moment.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Caphi posted:

How many times has it been rebooted? I remember REIDEEN happened and everyone forgot it pretty much instantly.

I believe it's been rebooted at least twice, but there's probably some obscure one that I can't recall at all.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

There is still the RahXephon movie out in the world, which has a different ending.

It's mostly a compilation yet still changes enough stuff by the time it concludes.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

I definitely feel like Prax is a fun addition as Lutoh's answer to Shu. Same skills, completely different personality.

Yes, It's always nice to have more dynamic personalities like Prax come into the show, since most of the village folks are rather basic.

I do enjoy Shu teasing Bit with the whole "admiral" thing though...and how can you not love someone who smugly admits he's not just a regular traitor...but a genius traitor?

Arrow is single-minded in a way that's reminiscent of your typically dumb shonen action heroes. That said...I do think they'll develop him more in due time.

Shifting the focus over to Lutoh seems like a good idea at this point. I also like the sleek design of Prax's flying mecha.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

The Muffinlord posted:

Regarding Back Arrow, what's the over/under on the Granedger being able to transform? I swear it looks like it has fists coming out the back.

I think it's quite likely, though maybe not until the second half of the series.

Also, that huge sword they've got in Rekka sure seems to suggest we'll get some larger scale action.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I suppose I'll have to present a different perspective on Back Arrow then.

Let me be frank here. I've been increasingly enjoying the series on a moment to moment basis, especially when Shu joined up with the team and then after they all arrived in Lutoh, since Prax and the princess brought more appealing personalities or dynamics into the picture. And well, the silly humor or lighthearted gags often make me smile. For me, there's usually something amusing or entertaining going on.

That said, I can at least see where a few of the previous arguments are coming from. There's surely a lot more that could be done with the whole conviction concept and, with a couple of exceptions, they haven't focused on that angle lately after some initial exploration. It will presumably be further addressed later on, yet at this time the criticism is valid on that front.

Structurally speaking...I think it makes narrative sense that if the characters couldn't easily get through the wall, as they've firmly established during episodes 7 and 8, they would take some time to consider their options and deal with emergent situations in the meanwhile. It's not like they are living in an empty setting, you know? Given the rather retro-style of storytelling involved here, spending some time on the equivalent of "wandering through the desert" or "monsters of the week" doesn't particularly bother me either, since it's normal to have a stretch of eps like that. It also reminds me of Gun X Sword, where the protagonist was on a quest for revenge but his group doesn't even meet the main villain until episode 12 out of 26.

I've seen enough anime in my life to expect that the outcome of the upcoming conflict, one way or another, will inevitably end up taking us in a new direction as far as the wall and/or its secrets are concerned. In other words, there's a transition point between now and the second half. That's what the Rekka vs. Lutoh war seems to be intended for. Even so, they have also been dropping little bits and pieces of relevant information every so often, thus it's not like the whole overarching plot has been completely out of sight.

The mecha fights have been short, there's no question about that, but the choreography and/or cinematography has been pretty good. Specifically, I really liked the fight with Kai back in episode 5 and the more recent ones with Prax. Most of the other battles have been rather low in terms of challenge or stakes, which is usually to be expected at the beginning of a series, yet there is admittedly an increasing need to have a longer or at least more ambitious confrontation. I think the upcoming war between the nations should provide an opportunity to do so.

I agree that the characters are rather broadly written, which is basically true of every single anime that Kazuki Nakashima has scripted. I suppose the main difference here is that Arrow himself hasn't had enough development as of yet. He's still the same sort of person at the moment. Not too unusual for a shonen-style protagonist...if there has been any drama, it's been more between Shu and Kai/Ren or between Prax and the princess. Which, all things considered, are useful yet still secondary characters. That said, I thought the most recent episode was actually pretty good in terms of giving the female characters some spotlight after being sidelined for a while.

It's definitely taking a moderate risk by leaving the protagonist's arc for later, given his amnesia and so forth. That's part of why it's hard to carry out any thematic analysis at this time, since most of the movement has merely been build up for the second half. I won't blame people too much if they're not enjoying it thus far, but I am still having a lot of fun on my end.

wielder fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 13, 2021

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, the protagonist of SSSS Gridman had amnesia and was often sidelined for Akane and Rikka, but he still had progression and drove the plot forward.

Different type of story, I'd say, since among other differences that all had to be resolved within 12 episodes and so the pacing fits that length.

quote:

Meanwhile, the latest arc just has Back Arrow be... there. It's not defined by the choices the protagonists make, but getting tossed from plot point to plot point.

I do happen to think any real character analysis of the guy is both limited and premature, yet I could reasonably argue he has been making a couple of choices to that effect.

For example, there's his deciding to help the village people even after he was betrayed by them early on or, more recently, how he was willing to apologize for staying back at the wall when he decided to turn himself into a sword to give Elsha support rather than directly defeating Prax by himself. Not that it's incredibly original material or anything.

quote:

Like, we had a mad scientist who introduces his crimes against humanity with a choir, and it wasn't worth more than a "huh". That's just disappointing. So many things that should be fun, and... they aren't.

Hey, I still liked that scene. It's incredibly silly in a good way. :colbert:

quote:

(For example, Shu was interesting for a while, but in the current arc, he's lost pretty much all the agency that made him worth watching, so we get him just going along with the plot instead of driving it.)

Fair enough, although I think he still contributes to making the show fun right now, but we also know there's going to be a reckoning between him, Kai and Ren in the near future.

dogsicle posted:

Weaknesses like the Conviction stuff have been apparent since early episodes, but the Lutoh arc was a significant improvement for me over the lull in 6-7 where they tried some awful episodic stuff with the Bishie Farm and then had to spin their wheels before we could start digging into Lutoh's dark secrets. It's definitely in the group of shows I'm excited to see drop each week and found those plot developments/backstories plus Rekka's maneuvering to be compelling. Even though they still have issues with needing more from Elsha/Atlee/Ren and Elsha's grandpa not being wiped from existence.

I also think since we had Muga get cloning ability they've done a decent job at giving the fights spectacle even if they don't live up to the Conviction concept. Prax appearing and Elsha finally getting some real action definitely help there as well.

Yup, plus with the sword transformation it does seem like Muga could literally do anything...at least as long as Arrow lacks a sufficient firm conviction.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 14, 2021

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

I wasn't expecting the backstory in Tekkaman Blade to be so genuinely terrifying and hosed up, wow

I remember even the localized Teknoman version could feel rather grim, despite their best efforts to clean it up for broadcast.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Comparisons are a kind of weak method here, I know. You don't criticize an apple for being less round than an orange. But the latest episode of Back Arrow was so dull that pointing to a better show is the easiest way for me to keep focus.

I've already argued with you about the show at length, so we're never going to agree about this one, but I will say that this week was a little anti-climatic after a pretty good run of episodes.

Which isn't a mortal sin or anything...although I'll mention that if an ep like this kills your interest, then I wonder how you'd possibly get through certain chunks of Overman King Gainer, Xabungle, or something like Orguss for that matter, because it's utterly absurd to use Dynazeon (or Gridman) as the golden standard for mecha anime pacing, plotting or characterization.

Nonetheless, the big difference between us would be...there were still parts of today's Back Arrow that I liked, such as the way they used the ship's main cannon, or which at least make me interested in where they'll take things next (in fact, by the end of the ep, I could make a case for the peaceful outcome working as a giant red herring here).

wielder fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 10, 2021

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Curiously, 86 reminds me a lot of Code Geass: Akito the Exiled at the moment. I wonder how many people still remember that OVA series.

Caphi posted:

Back Arrow is the kind of show that's 100% overwrought melodrama and wild setpieces distracting from the fact that it has absolutely no idea what it wants to say, where its plot is going, or what it's doing with any of its characters. It works great for people who just like overwrought melodrama and wild setpieces. It's basically a mediocre JRPG.

I agree that the show's relative emphasis hasn't been on character work. It also does have a certain mid-tier JRPG story structure and tone. Jury's still out on the plot right now, but they haven't been dismissing the cast to that absolute degree. They've had their moments, even a few effective ones (most obviously with Shu/Kai/Ren). It's more the continued lack of a singular focus that can be seen as a handicap, although for me it's an acceptable trade-off.

drrockso20 posted:

It'll probably make good SRW fodder though, that seems to often be the case with mediocre Mecha series

SRW games also usually do a good job of narrowing down the narrative to its "greatest hits" and so any meandering parts become far less of an issue in that format.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 10, 2021

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm pretty sure I forgot most of akito as I was watching it. It was a very strange and unsatisfying way to expand code grass's universe

I'm kinder towards Akito than most Geass fans are, but Kazuki Akane did make some odd choices and introduced concepts near the end that needed more time to be developed.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

I wonder if they thought they were gonna get another OVA or a full series afterwords, I can't imagine why they would start dropping all of the mystical stuff otherwise.

At the very least, I recall an interview with director Akane where he admitted that, in retrospect, maybe they should have made Akito into a TV series instead. Which makes me reasonably interested in finding out where 86 will go with a conspicuously similar premise. It won't be exactly the same, absolutely not, yet the parallels are undeniable.

Ironically...in another interview, the original Code Geass staff members said they're not too interested in the mystical worldbuilding, which is why they didn't refer to the Akito lore in the recent movie (but it seems they'll bring in some of those concepts for the upcoming mobile game though, whenever that's coming out).

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Akito had good fights I dont remember anything else

To be fair, that is the best part of Akito so can't blame you at all. Spider-drones that can transform are cool.

Gaius Marius posted:

I really think they shoudl've just gone with straight up AU's if they wanted to make CG sequels. The Series ended with such a bow that trying anything else would feel kind of weak.

That could happen too. I think Sunrise is trying different options and will stick with whatever works, depending on the outcome of the next anime project and the mobile game (which seems likely to be the one place where they'll want to throw in existing spin-offs like the NoN manga, since they need characters for the gacha).

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Ardeem posted:

I always figured the end of Akito felt so random and disconeccted because the main series ate a rewrite part way through the second season and all the lore they were going build on didn't exist anymore. It's too bad that it'll probably never wind up in a SRW game: Alexanders vs Scopedogs would be an amaizing fight of tiny unhittable glass canons.

We haven't had a real mainline SRW game in a while, so I'm hoping we get some news on that front sooner rather than later.

The OVA's lore is all completely new created by Akane, and Sunrise more or less gave him a free hand so he wasn't limited by what the TV series had done.

To paraphrase him, the guy said something about wanting to add more "SF" DNA to Code Geass, but I believe he meant more in the speculative sci-fi sense (things like ESP, time/space manipulation, etc...similar to his Noein series) than in the more "hard" sci-fi manner. In a way, you could argue the weird stuff that happens at the end of Akito is closer to some of the crazier things Gundam has done with Newtypes (refer to the end of Unicorn for a not-so-old example). Problem is, Akito doesn't stop to explain most of it and so the viewer has to self-interpret some rather ambiguous scenes without a guide. This is also from memory, but Akane even pointed out afterwards that for him it's okay if people didn't understand everything.

At the same time, I'd say the mecha combat wasn't the only good part. For instance, both Leila and Akito had reasonable chemistry during their interactions.

wielder fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 11, 2021

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

(For terrible, there's still Back Arrow. I really have no idea what that show wants to do, but it's failing at it.)

I'd still much rather watch it than that Patlabor movie you discussed, but then again you're going for a "Carthago delenda est" thing and I can almost appreciate that.

But enough talking in circles. How do y'all feel about this?

quote:

Anime production company AIC announced on Friday that it has concluded an agreement to transfer partial ownership of some of its existing copyrights to Toei Agency, with the two companies now sharing joint ownership. The intellectual properties that the two companies now share include the Megazone 23 franchise, Hades Project Zeorymer, Dangaioh, the Bubblegum Crisis franchise, the Gall Force franchise, and the Tenchi Muyo! franchise.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-04-16/aic-toei-agency-sign-deal-to-co-own-megazone-23-tenchi-muyo-other-classic-anime/.171765

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

dogsicle posted:

Back Arrow was going for :stonklol: this week

i do think the stuff with Dr. Sola suddenly dying dramatically??? lol was pretty bad though. feels like a very rushed development compared to everything else this ep having had several episodes to be set up.

Sure, that part with him did feel like the sort of thing they really needed more time or better animation to sell me on. I did smirk at my being proven right about what was going on with the whole bird thing though, plus I also like seeing anime characters creating their own country/faction as a show of independence from existing powers.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

This episode of Back Arrow is finally cashing several checks (mecha-related and otherwise) that folks may have feared were going to bounce, so I'm happy.

Can't hurt that, whenever this actually gets into some SRW title (preferably not the mobile ones, if I had to choose), there'll be a growing number of cool units to use.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Sha and Amro, together again for the first time.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

It's very Not Gundam, but the easy confidence Kaine has in that picture is very far from Amuro.

Really, Kaine Vs. Amuro is one of the ways Dragonar feels so store brand Gundam. He's a very conventional Super Robot protagonist in a somewhat more grounded story, while Amuro's... Amuro.

To be honest, I don't remember anything too specific about Dragonar...other than the terrible English subs that were available at least a decade ago.

MonsieurChoc posted:

At least the Dragonar OP is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItCMX3A1qaE

Yup, that's a good point.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Raxivace posted:

So did anyone else keep up with Back Arrow enough to see the ending? Because oh boy let me tell you it sure was dumb.

I did, and honestly...I'm fine with that. It's one of those shows where the journey was better than the destination. And we got to see a little more escalation, which is good.

On the one hand, crazy dumb setting details are crazy dumb. I don't know why you'd expect some brilliant reveal: the show is named "BAKA YARO", for heaven's sake, not Metal Gear Solid (and yes, only half-joking here).

On the other hand, they had already cleaned up almost every other issue and the characters ended up in mostly decent to good places. If you consider the whole last arc to be the resolution, I'm satisfied on that front.

wielder fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 18, 2021

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

dogsicle posted:

i have no issues with that ending other than it begs for a second season i assume is never happening. 😔

Well... it's one of those "...and the journey goes on!" types of endings. Which, I agree, we won't see, but it's not an insane cliffhanger. I'm pretty happy the cast is mostly okay and living on. Good for SRW purposes too.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Nothing is impossible except for dinosaurs and all, but looking at numbers I don't expect Back Arrow to show up any time soon. DVD sales look bleak (Makes Buddy Complex look like Gundam SEED bleak), the preorders for the Robot Spirits still are open (where Dynazenon already has its reprints selling out) and there's an order of magnitude less fanart for it on Pixiv than there is for Captain Earth.

Basically, seems like it flopped, despite the pedigree, which could be a bit of a barrier. It also has a background that's trickier to mesh with other shows, like Gurren, without Gurren's popularity to encourage making it work anyway.

It's not like anything's impossible for Super Robot Wars, but I'm not expecting Back Arrow, despite it being basically made for SRW.

And honestly? I'm totally fine with that. Speaking personal, Back Arrow sucked. The characters never grew beyond their archetypes, the visuals didn't manage to sell hype moments, the pacing was terrible (as an arc based show, it faffed around too much, but as an episodic show it didn't spend enough time having fun one-off adventures. The pretty-boy farm episode was terrible on its own, but the way the characters from that recur in the finale just emphasizes how it was the only one-off of its kind, and how weird it was in the show's overall context.), and things that should have been great fun (like the mad scientist's chorus) never came together to actually work for me.

I came in with all the optimism in the world, but in the end? Well, they can't all be winners.

I would argue that commercial performance, which by the way isn't exactly limited to publicly available data, does not directly determine participation in SRW.

It's a big factor, yes, but not the only one. Otherwise, no little known or forgotten mecha series would ever show up at all and we know that's false.

There's been far more successful mecha anime that have either not appeared yet or took many years to do so. Conversely, there are obscure shows that still manage to end up being included for various reasons. In the end, it depends on whether the companies involved feel it would be a good idea. I suspect that sometimes they may make package deals. Frankly, I don't think it will happen quickly, but it's not nearly as impossibly bleak as you're suggesting. Besides, dimensional travel, world fusions or time-shifting mechanics have been used before in SRW crossovers and they will be employed again in the future. If anything, the nature of the world of Back Arrow makes me think of any number of possibilities to play around with the concept so it can work with other anime.

And yes, you didn't like Back Arrow at all. I can half-agree with the pacing issue...much less so for the rest. If I put on my silly little debating hat, I'd argue the pretty boy farm episode, despite not being impressive in and of itself, was useful. It provided some foreshadowing in a couple of ways (one with respect to Lutoh, which was the most obvious purpose, and another regarding one of the secrets behind the setting as a whole, which didn't come up until much later in the narrative). The animation quality was still bad for that episode, of course, but I can point to the big climatic fight between Rudolph and Zetsu as a clear example of the show being able to have a few hype moments with effective visuals. I wish there were more and it's a shame that a famous animation studio wasn't making this anime in the first place, true enough, yet I enjoyed several of the fights from around the halfway mark onward.

I understand you were expecting some sort of deeper character exploration (insert Gridman, or maybe Dynazenon), but I can confidently say there was still some growth among the cast, objectively speaking, even within their archetypes. Which I suppose simply didn't work for you or wasn't enough to meet your expectations. For me, it was still nice to look back and realize how a number of individuals did go through character arcs, whether they were limited or not. At this point though, it's mostly a purely academic discussion since we're both firmly on opposite sides of the fence (and that's okay, life would be too boring if we all agreed).

wielder fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 19, 2021

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

I await the day Majestic Prince is in SRW.

We have Majestic Prince in SRW at home.

Majestic Prince in SRW at home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzRSakPzGQY

GimmickMan posted:

To be fair to Back Arrow, a lot of failed series got into SRW and from there go to find some form of success thanks to the exposure.

To be even fairer to it, even more failed series don't make it to SRW. Successful ones, too!

Sure. Regardless of the seeming financial failure, I've noticed there's a small yet growing number of people who enjoyed it.

Better that than making tons of money upfront yet having more folks scream about the show in anger or disappointment after it's over.

wielder fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 19, 2021

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Lily Catts posted:

All this 80s mecha talk is reminding me that I've started but haven't finished L-Gaim, Orguss, Layzner, and Dunbine for various reasons. I do want to finish Layzner first if just for the ridiculously good OP (though tbf, all of them have great ones)

Orguss doesn't shy away from its Macross-derivative status, except more science fantasy-oriented due to the dimensional thingy. I did find the ending memorable, at least (as in both the ED and, you know, the actual conclusion of the story).

Btw...Orguss O2, despite having a silly name and being almost unrelated in practice, was a pretty cool OVA and works even if you didn't see the original (and arguably it's better if you don't, 'cause they retcon stuff). Just putting that out there.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Knew what this one was without even clicking on it.

Believe it or not, that guy's maybe the best character in the anime. He's also less of a scumbag than the protagonist of the original Orguss, which is impressive considering we're talking a dude with a list of ex-wives longer than his arm.

(Manning, despite his awkward choice of threat, has a scene elsewhere in the OVA where he says outright that he isn't interested in teenagers, and that anyone who is qualifies as a creep even by his standards. Meanwhile, Kei in the original Orguss is dating a high schooler.)

Oh yeah, Manning comes across like a terrible person at a glance but eventually he turns out to be more of a rascal than a thug. Pretty amusing.

Speaking of Orguss 02, it's falso unny how they have a different theme song for the OP when you switch audio tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENR6vUqeZpo

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNuyy65LjI4

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I might watch Kyoukai Senki just to pass the time and because the robots are 2D. I'm neither excited nor offended by that first episode, but my expectations remain low.

As for the Votoms sequels...there is a recent school of thought, so to speak, that would defend Shining Heresy in certain circles.

I'm not a member of it though, at least not at the time of this writing, so I won't misrepresent their arguments. I never liked the choices made with Fyana and Chirico's story was already over.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

The Colonel posted:

watched the l-gaim ova. it's actually kind of surreal, like it goes beyond gundam endless waltz levels of retconning and inserting stuff in, the entire thing takes place in episode 15 except it's an alt universe version of episode 15 with a bunch of new characters and where the events of the previous and later episodes couldn't have possibly happened. really cool animation that gets kinda trippy though and the villain is a guy who operates his heavy metal by playing a keyboard

He looks like one of those aliens from Sailor Moon R.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Specific articles can be flawed or outright terrible, but for me that just means those individual writers are bad at those specific subjects (or I simply disagree with them).

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

For whatever it's worth, I've heard the second Hi-Evolution movie was good or at least better than the first one of those.

The third movie is also coming up relatively soon too. But yeah, in general most Eureka 7 content after the show has been disappointing at best.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah there's "the protagonist gets more boring" or "they ruined the ending" and then there's E7, where the franchise's director stares you right in the face and goes "That thing you liked? It's dogshit" over and over for the past decade plus.

Not even metaphorically but like textually every Eureka Seven thing directly tries to destroy everything about the first series to the point where the Hi-Evolution movies finally accomplished it by revealing every series, manga, game, and movie in the franchise was just the delusions of Eureka using a magic box after she accidentally murdered Renton

I think it's hard to top that.

It's like they've decided to always attempt to subvert the original Eureka Seven series by making a meta commentary about fan expectations instead of going for a more vanilla kind of sequel or spin-off, but that's a big risk and they sure didn't pull it off. Yet somehow the people with the power to make decisions about the property continue to follow that same approach.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah, there was a Saturn game set before the Nadesico movie and a Dreamcast game set after those events.

I have to wonder how well those types of "media mix" approaches usually work out, because at least in the case of Nadesico they didn't.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I'd recommend Back Arrow because it really was a good old fun time every week. There's pros and cons in retrospect, depending on your perspective and expectations, but that statement still remains true for me. They even did the evolving OP thing for the first half and I appreciate such gimmicks.

I'd agree that 86 was the actual best mecha show. I'm just very tsundere about it. Maybe I'll use my vacation days to catch up (plus they did a very Geass S1 thing and delayed the last two eps).

Which reminds me...did Kyoukai Senki do anything interesting lately other than having good 2D mecha fights? I guess not.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Autodrop Monteur posted:

Despite Gasaraki having a lot of super natural elements, I feel the military mecha stuff is some of the most realistic stuff you can get. I like how a whole team is supporting the pilots and how the tactical armors are stressful on the pilots.
I liked the show, but it's one hell of a slow burn and the main character isn't really likable.

Yes, Gasaraki does deserve credit for a relatively plausible depiction of how mecha could operate as part of a modern military organization in the age of televised warfare.

I also recall some of the episodes could feel slow and cumbersome at times, when the script gave way more room than expected to all the behind-the-scenes maneuvering and discussions of the economic stakes.

Now, that's not necessarily a problem: for example, a series like Legend of the Galactic Heroes could pull that off because it had a very dynamic and appealing cast of characters to keep the audience invested, whereas in Gasaraki the nominal protagonist's personality isn't very charming and his perspective is often limited to that of a mere observer in the midst of all these political power games between generally awful people. In other words, the actual robot action often came across like a sideshow.

chiasaur11 posted:

Kyoukai Senki is sort of doing that bit, with a lot of little engineering touches so the machines feel like machines rather than upscaled people, but sadly, it also sucks. A lot.

I'm not sure it's the worst mech anime of last year, since it was a competitive field (between it, Megaton Musashi, Sakugan, Back Arrow, and Ancient Girls Frame, we were not in short supply for bad mecha anime.) but it was a pretty solid example if you need proof that mech anime can suck without going in for psychics and superpowers.

Back Arrow was a good show, you just didn't like it. :colbert:

I know that ship has already sailed, so to speak, but you can still find folks who enjoyed it other than just crazy old me. I don't see Kyoukai Senki getting even that much.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Tertiary, I'd think. Selling model kits was also well ahead of making a good show. And that seems to be a success too. (Unlike Back Arrow, which had a major marketing push early on that still leaves unsold merch on store shelves to this day.)

I can certainly see why the model kits would sell. It's almost ridiculously obscene how good the mecha designs are, compared to how bland absolutely everything else seems to be (and I already like plenty of unsuccessful yet very fun shows, Back Arrow included, so that's no skin off my nose).

In any event...for more mecha that are admittedly cool without requiring me to watch the actual show, there was a Kyoukai Senki part 2 preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4IJuxUBOjs

wielder fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 18, 2022

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

tsob posted:

Takahiro Kimura, the character designer and/or chief animator director for works like Code Geass, GaoGaiGar, G Gundam, Godannar! etc. passed away at the age of 58 from amyloidosis.

RIP.

Now that's a depressing bit of news. He had a distinctive style and I was wondering why we hadn't seen more of this work lately.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Paging Chiasaur11, your punishment is not yet complete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSp33jxnGSY

We thank you for your service.

I forgot this was still a thing.

That's supposed to be an Obari show this time around, right, so at least it should be comparatively more entertaining.

Withholding any particular judgment on the script yet honestly not expecting too much either way.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

I've been curious to try that SRW Inspector show, but sounds like you're supposed to see the previous show as well, which didn't look as interesting. Maybe there's a recap.

If there's anything that will make you feel "lost" while watching The Inspector, it's the simple fact they have like five different antagonist factions.

Which makes more sense in the original game, of course, but does feel a little overstuffed in an adaptation. It's still very entertaining and worth watching though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

In mecha news, Code Geass is returning to Japanese theaters next year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y58cbQpLi0g

Too early to say much about story or characters, but...I actually dig the mecha action here. We're back to rollerskating and jumping around!