Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm not defending Akito the Shadow the Hedgehog or anything, but "not balancing" and just being flat dark does seem like the logical conclusion to what the series was going for.

Given the show's pedigree it was almost definitely building towards something with Akito's darker turn, but since they wasn't able to get the additional movies they planned for (I'm assuming they were planning on more, at least) it winds up being quite the non-starter that can at best only be speculated on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A lot of animators on Big O had previously worked on Giant Robo, both series do an excellent job at giving the robots this bulky, weighty feel in their movements.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

don't watch IBO

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Armageddon ending rules.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Raxivace posted:

I haven't seen the show but "bungle" is such a silly word to include in a mech name that it kind of wraps around to owning.

It's fitting because it's a very silly show. Comedic Tomino ftw.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

One of the best scenes early on is when one of the villains is smoking a cigar and while he's trying to look like a badass he accidentally puts his lit cigar in the wrong way.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Is its animation as janky and low-budget as 0079?

It's way jankier. Most of the time it's not a nice looking show even if you only compare it to its contemporaries.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

He was insane

That plus hella hubris. Dude was so confident that nobody would be able to stop his plan even if they knew what was up.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Marx Headroom posted:

Also apparently the guy doesn't even like robo animes that much, explains why some of the best parts don't involve robots :thunk:

He's right.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AIDS.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I feel like I'm an odd man out in that I really enjoy the various Getter OVAs but straight up dislike the manga. I guess they just concentrate on the elements I like while excising the stuff I think is boring?

Not to mention Jun Kawagoe is a slick as hell action director who doesn't get nearly enough work in the industry.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Slandering of Aim for the Ace is highly illegal.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Look, Putin's checks aren't going to be clearing much longer. You can't blame them for trying to take advantage as long as they can.

What the gently caress is this post even

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

You’re all bots, paid trolls, tankies, fascists, modern-day Neville Chamberlains, quislings, genocide apologists, and nazi sympathizers for not joining me in my call for a new Vandread series.

If this is what it takes to make Gonzo relevant again *and* to avoid being called a paid troll then I have no choice but to demand more Vandread.

Gaius Marius posted:

Second movie too. Showing tomorrow, everyone should go out and support their local theatres

Wish I could but weirdly my local theater is only showing the second film. There's a theater a reasonable distance away showing the first one but it's being shown in such a tinyass room that I would not feel safe. Plus, I'm gonna be out of town on the one day my local theater is gonna show the second movie. I'm steamed about all of this!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Incidentally, which is the good version of Plus - movie or OVA? I only watched one and I can't remember which.

The OVA is better overall though the movie makes some changes to Guld's death that work better. I recall there was a fan edit floating around out there that put the good changes from the movie onto the OVA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nessus posted:

Didn't Star Blazers roll pretty realistically? I had the vibe that Star Blazers and Robotech were aiming kind of at the 10-14 market segment who could handle the prospect of a military pilot actually dying, the stuff where people got sent to the Next Dimension or thrown in Arlong's dungeon forever was more a later development.

For the standards of the era Star Blazers was relatively faithful. It kept a bunch of stuff, would do some changes that were silly but for the most part benign, like in a scene where they're destroying enemy tanks they'd have a line about how those were robot tanks to avoid acknowledging that yeah those enemy soldiers in there are absolutely dead. But it's sci-fi so it doesn't stick out unless you know it was a change.