Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You've made me want to rewatch Diebuster at the very least. I didn't like as much as the original, but that was like 8 years ago so maybe I can appreciate it differently now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

I mostly just want to watch a well animated fight scene over any kind of plot or writing. I don't know what idea is really being communicated in a contextless fight scene, I think desire for a visual spectacle is a little different from a desire for a well constructed story

Good visual spectacle tells a story, because the people fighting do it in a way that represents them, even if they are nameless and faceless mooks. There is also an ebb and flow to good action scenes that keeps them tense and engaging and is very much the kind of thing you have to think about to come up with and to appreciate it fully, rather than being senseless action that happens at random.

Basically you can't have good action without good writing, even if the only good writing itself is in the action, it is still good writing.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 26, 2015

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Mecha is a genre at war with itself. The modern mecha story as we know it was born with Mazinger Z, and the primary theme of that was how Kouji could become a God or a Devil with Mazinger's power, but it is up to him to decide how to use said power. Not only does Mazinger's name come from Majin (demon) also the Mazinger itself doesn't have the face of a friendly neighborhood superhero. Mecha fiction is fundamentally aware of its nature as a contradiction that technology is rad and weapons that make big explosions are cool but they can be also pretty awful if you don't use them responsibly. I like it because it is aware that humans are creatures of contradiction and that you can't really apply a black or white morality to human nature.

My problem with mecha is that sometimes it fetishizes technology in a way that is almost spiritual, as if all we had to do is put our faith in technology progressing fast enough that it will somehow solve all of the world's problems. World hunger? Global warming? AIDS? Just throw enough nanobots at things and everything will solve itself! No, we don't need social reforms everything is fine just the way it is now let me tell you about the singularity.

Fundamentally, I probably keep coming back to mecha because I like action and I like speculative fiction and mecha often is a hybrid of both. Then again sometimes it has none of that and it is just a fun romp about saving the world from the evil aliens that look suspiciously like people and that is fine too.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I thought Frontier was okay if unimpressive early on, but the second half of the show has some pro-AIMO AIMO NEEEEDERUUUUUSHE.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I was going to say that I really like M7 even though it has some flaws, like the weakest love triangle in the franchise. Then I remembered M0 exists and it has an even worse love triangle. There are many things to criticize about M7, but it is still better than what came after. The same is true for Macross 7's polar opposite, Macross Plus.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Gigil was not a good singer but his version of My Soul For You still gets me. :smith:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If Aquarion EVOL doesn't make you laugh or leave you bewildered with how stupid what just happened is at least once then you have no soul.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Braiger stuff.

I remember when Khamen Khamen explained his goals in SRW Alpha Gaiden and it seemed really crazy and coming out of nowhere even by SRW standards. Good to know it is only slightly more sensible in the original series. Khamen Khamen is a fabulous jerk with a neat BGM and the reason I kind of sort of wanted to watch Braiger a few years ago but. Knowing he only shows up a while in, I never quite got around to it.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

M7 starts out really, really slow and it took me like 3 months to get through the first 20 episodes or so, but once I slugged past that I finished the show in a weekend. Basara feels less like a jerk rival-ish type character and more like the actual protagonist of the series around that time.

Also he does things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYps5fUrAWs

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Lepecard posted:

Was Eureka AO really that bad?

Never had the chance to watch it yet but I hear so many mixed reviews.

E7AO is the loss.jpg of the E7 franchise.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

E7 AO juggled a billion plot threads and character arcs and didn't forget any of them.

It just so happens that the conclusion for a whole lot of them was "the plot device explodes/the character stops existing" with a side dish of "the character is ineffectual and achieves nothing".

It's almost impressive how unsatisfying all of it is.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Thank you for reminding me I have to watch this movie.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I find Zambot 3 to be a more poignant tragedy than Zeta, Victory or even Ideon (though Ideon comes close). It is some top shelf Tomino and it is a shame that it gets overlooked so often just because it is old.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

I thought I saw about 16 or 17 episodes but looking it up I stopped watching the series at episode 9. :lol:

I was going to say I liked Reideen even though it was kind of short, remembering as a 11 episode series. But no, I just looked it up and it was actually 26 episodes. I don't think anything good I can say about the series can compensate for how damning that is.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Original Macross holds up very well for how old it is. The action scenes still look great and many of the episodes have a very interesting tension to them that you don't get with straight up simple robot fights, like that one episode where a valkyrie puts on zentradi clothes and sneaks into their ship. It is a timeless classic of the genre, IMO.

Also the writeups of old-rear end mecha anime that I will probably never get around to watching are great. Keep 'em coming, you guys.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Make Zeon Great Again.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Zambot is one of my top Tomino series. The first half hasn't aged well, but to me the fact that it came out before MSG makes the second half that much impressive. It's some very powerful stuff that I don't think he ever quite pulled off again.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The first shonen to have a sentai-like cast of pretty boys that pretended they were all of equal importance and pretty much defined the genre was Saint Seiya.

edit: Like even to the point of deliberately making yaoi bait. There's one scene in the manga where a character is frozen and another uses their power to unfreeze them but in the anime they turn that to "i will take off my armor to hug his lying frozen figure so i can warm him with my body for an hour".

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 19, 2019

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I have a soft spot for Betterman because it's a very unique show and I'm fond for the biology-based technobabble that the various mutations and powerups in the show pull off. Like in ep 02 everyone watches a recording of how Lamia pulled an Eva 01 on the baddie and this time the adults are horrified as Shinji was recalling the events prior because they can actually understand them and that makes Lamia even more terrifying. It's also a really creepy and oppressive show with a very dark aesthetic that you rarely see in anime ever since the 90's (I think the highest profile show that pulled it off was Lain). The scene where bugs come out of people's mouths and it turns out they're being controlled by the bugs will forever stay with me.

But yeah it's kind of a mess and any given 10 minutes could be super interesting or boring as hell and it has nothing to do with GGG so why does it share an universe? :iiam:

It's not even in any good SRW games (Compact 3 is a poo poo game that doesn't ever give you Lamia as an unit) so if you like watching shows to experience them in SRW with foreknowledge you're not really missing out on anything.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Droyer posted:

The new Bettermen have some very interesting powers that are fun to read about and there was a fight between Lamia and a Betterman that combined with prehistoric animals to form a biological Gaogaigar and it was so cool.

I am so fuckin' sold.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I don't have Star Driver in my top 10 of this decade.

Because it's from the last one.

The calendar starts at year 1, not year 0, so every decade goes up to the year 0 of the next one. The 00's didn't technically end until 2011, and Star Driver is from 2010.
:goonsay:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Majestic Prince pulls it off because the tone and direction lets the characters emote and make wacky anime faces. Also not being bound by realistic hair colors makes the characters fifty million times easier to distinguish.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Droyer posted:

I think it's as opposed to Fafner, where they do in fact have realistic hair colors.

Yeah, this is what I forgot to add. For all of SEEDs faults people don't mistake Kira with Athrun. But really the sticking point was the first one, the one about emoting, which is what lets MJP go over both shows.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If the best proof of concept you've got for your argument is SRW J then I'll gladly pay the price of ten gundam series per game to avoid that becoming the standard.

(The better example is NEO but also the story in NEO is kind of middling at best and also no one played NEO)

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Oh hey I vaguely remember that Rahxephon flashback episode, but only after having read a summary of it. Thanks for doing the retrospective, its been long enough that I remember Rahxephon more from what it does in SRW than for what actually happened in the show.

RE Muv-Luv: That part of the setting I would say is pretty realistic. People are not rational actors and I think we have plenty of recent examples of humans being extremely eager to engage in suicidal actions just to have a short-term good time or merely to make sure the people they hate will die first. Like have you looked at global warming.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I've been looking for a picture that I think is Patlabor official art. It's the AV-98 Ingram standing next to its weapons arsenal laid on the ground in front of the mech. Does anyone have that or at least remember seeing it so I know i'm not insane?

e: Something like this but as an illustration I think.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Right? It feels like there's a lot of it but I could only think of that one example yet was incapable of even finding that one picture.

Thanks for this one btw, it's reference material so any source is fine!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

how would that work for patlabor, though? there would be a revolver, a shotgun and the ammo. patlabors are never more heavily armed than that and even the shotgun is used sparingly.

This is a good question to which I can only answer "I probably misremembered that Evangelion pic for a Patlabor pic, somehow". Truly a reprehensible crime against mechadom, I might as well have called the Gundam a Transformer.

But hey, I needed a reference and I got 3 of them! Thanks, Mecha thread!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

To be fair to Back Arrow, a lot of failed series got into SRW and from there go to find some form of success thanks to the exposure.

To be even fairer to it, even more failed series don't make it to SRW. Successful ones, too!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Is it the reckless child endangerment that takes you out of immersion, or the fact that the reckless child endangerment miraculously never leads to harm?

Depending on your answer, I might recommend Zambot 3.

The child endangerment is mostly justified in Zambot 3 so I'm gonna go ahead and say it: forums user "gimme the GOD drat candy" should watch Zambot 3.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Like, I'm not a fan of children protagonists in action series either, but Mamoru has the heart of a hero and never does the thing children do in fiction with adult protagonists where they put others in unnecessary danger for childish reasons. I don't want to rag on the poster too but, man, Mamoru did nothing wrong.

ngl i laughed

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Colonel posted:

l-gaim owns because they have the main character explain his deep theory on why the villain is a woman 33 episodes in, saying he thinks she is a woman because women create the future, which gives them more symbolic power and influence than men, and then like ten episodes later the reveal is that the villain is not a woman, they are a man who looks like a woman. except actually they're not a man who looks like a woman, they're a woman being mind controlled by a man to think she is the man who is mind controlling her, and the man who is mind controlling her is doing it because he doesn't want to be the emperor of space, he wants to be a cool intergalactic black market arms dealer cause it's way more fun than being the emperor of space and he thinks manipulating and mind controlling women is super fun also

everyone should watch and talk about l-gaim, i've watched like a dozen tomino anime and l-gaim is the most insane and confusing and it's also literally the longest mecha one he's ever made by like three full episodes. i'm gonna watch the hour long ova setting up a sequel that never happened today

One of the things i love about old tomino shows is how you can clearly see him taking concepts from one series into the next. I never watched L-Gaim but what little I know clearly paints it as the missing link between Dunbine and Zeta in the evolutionary tree of his work and, well, looking it up, it is :v:.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

this is like responding to a two pages back post now but i'm gonna watch the poo poo out of l-gaim. thanks mecha thread!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

The climate change anime is almost 15 years old and when asked about the Digimon thing he was like "yeah I was going through some weird stuff when I wrote it". But nobody talks about that part because they can't get outraged over it!

Global warming is loving well over 15 years old as well so that's no excuse.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Chad Tomino: It's 1987 and in this speech I will have my character tell politicians that they're destroying the earth.

The Virgin Konaka: People are being mean to me on twitter because I said I trust alt-right nutjobs but not vaccines.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

The Chad Tomino: here is a list of all the 16 year old idols i want to gently caress

I get that some posters get their jimmies rustled by these conversations, but I always learn something new so I'm glad that we're having them. Today, for example, I learned a new awful Tomino fact. What did he say and when did he say it?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I love that you consider it learning a fact before presented with a single piece of evidence to back up the claim.

Friend, I asked for the source right at the end of the post.

I love you SA, never change.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

What's beautiful about this conversation is that nobody apparently knows what it is that Endorph actually referenced. We're making assumptions and jumping to conclusions, but we've moved on from making conclusions about Tomino to making conclusions about other posters.

My assumption is that, because her post was in response to a chad and virgin meme, which is one of the least serious forms in which one can present an argument, Endorph is exaggerating for comedic effect and that Tomino said something very inappropriate about an idol group's looks or the like, not that he literally said "I want to gently caress this list of idols" in an interview or whatever. Tomino usually keeps his weirdness about women to adult ones (see: Nanai, Lupe) so I'm asking for the thing he actually said.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

I did another one of these. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6MOz2M_Gvs

This is the mecha thread, so I'm guessing most of y'all know what Voltes V is. If not, what starts pretty generic (if well produced) super robot show takes a hard left turn midway through when we're shown the feudalism and racial slavery that underpins the alien invader's society. The protagonists join the laborer revolution and plot to overthrow the monarchy. It has a pretty heavy influence on the later Gundam, and through a weird confluence of events became wildly popular in the Philippians.

Toei had the video delisted for copyright infringement and I had to go through some trouble to get it back up. What the hell, Toei?

Knowing Voltes mostly from Super Robot Wars, I thought that it was basically Combattler's uglier younger brother with a less iconic main team and slightly better antagonists.

Needless to say, SRW does a huge disservice to the show. It is so much cooler than anything it's ever been allowed to do there. Voltes is up there with Zambot as far as hard-hitting classic super robots go IMO, and I can easily see how it became an icon in the Phillipines.

Good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I want to say that sometimes obscure shows get into SRW coincidentally around the time when new figures of said show gets announced, leading me to think that some of the deals might be preplanned from the Bandai side of the company, but I don't have any concrete evidence of it.

And considering that a few years ago the then-producer of the series said that they start with a series list and then write the story around that, I think random inclusions in SRW are probably just that. Finding patterns in the clouds is fun but we probably shouldn't take it seriously.

(It really bugs me that the process is the exact opposite of how it should be in order to make a good story, but it is also a very understandable approach given that licenses cost money and aren't guaranteed deals either.)