Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Parallax posted:

I meant to post that in the Gundam thread but whatever!

do that, also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Crunchyroll posted:

Sorry, this video is not available in your region due to licensing restrictions.

:(

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MarsDragon posted:

God Mars has been on Hulu for a while now, along with Johnny Socko and His Flying Robot. Of course, that still has ads.

Unfortunately Hulu is US only

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

I should really get back to finishing that show.

It's very good. The OVAs not so much, except Mellowlink

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Muffinlord posted:

What show are you referring to, for those of us who don't know every anime character on sight?

Armored Trooper VOTOMS

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Frontier is one of the few times i prefer the movies to the series

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Dryzen posted:

There were not that many Macross Frontier games.

He's probably talking about super robot wars

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

macross delta is trash

I disagree. I thought it was fun

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

It took the craziness just far enough for me to like it despite not really getting it.

My biggest problem with it was the exposition felt really clunky, which hopefully is mostly because it was a preview

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I just noticed msubs have been subbing Brave of Gold Goldran. I'm sure that's exciting to someone.

Edit: After further research they've been going at it since 2009 so it's not exactly cutting edge news i guess.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 5, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

There's a new Getter Robo manga out called Getter Robo Devolution. only the prologue and one chapter out so far though

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/getter-robo-devolution-uchuu-saigo-no-3-punkan-r16514/

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I wasn't a huge fan of the first chapter but i'm willing to give it a few more.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I'm sure they made a show only so that it could be in the videogame series that started seven years later

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GaoGaiGar is just ok

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

It's one of my favourite shows

That's coo, to each their own. I enjoyed it, i just didn't find it super special.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 10, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

is GR: Giant Robo any good?

It's not subtitled beyond the first 2 episodes is what it is.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

I'm not familiar with those acronyms.

Bubuki/Buranki. It's a currently airing mecha show.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I like Macross 7, and it has some great moments, but it would be better if it was shorter

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

A neat detail about macross 7 i really like: there's no background music. All the music in the show has an in-show source

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I got in a Getter mood and started rewatching Getter Robo Armageddon and man i wish i lived in the alternate universe where Imagawa stayed on for the whole series

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

There's a Patlabor simulwatch starting next week: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770059

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

"Availability Information
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region."

:(

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

If you enjoyed my patlabor simulwatch from this april, or are interested in patlabor in general: here's part 2 http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783680

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Don't watch Waiting for Godot

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

This is a real neat mecha kickstarter I'm interested in: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1609568567/code-hardcore-the-coolest-2d-mecha-battle-game/description

Looks really cool, hope it ends up good.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

It's a pretty liberal interpretation of mecha show, but Concrete Revolutio is fantastic.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 15, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh poo poo, if you want a short robot anime that'll make you have emotions, you need to check out Gundam Thunderbolt. Only four episodes.

If you're gonna watch Thunderbolt, watch the movie. It's the exact same except it has some added scenes.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Holy flip-flaps, Gunbuster is good.

Episode four is the stereotypical "pull out the titular robot at the last moment to save everyone", but it's executed so drat well that I was legit surprised when it actually worked. The show sold me on the aliens blowing up everyone so well that I was wondering if the final episodes would be a desperate survival race to Earth to something, not....what happened.

Also, my god I need prints of the alien ships. Those are so pretty and well-designed, just - wow!

e: Gainax, what. "The next two episodes are ENTIRELY unfinished but we have titles for them!"

Now watch diebuster, but be aware: it is not more gunbuster, do not expect it to be.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm starting episode five right now, so wait at least an hour before saying that - and yes, it is on the list!

oh i misread your post. whoops

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

So on a whim I decided to watch Fafner and holy poo poo the fafner movie is really good.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

yeah, the TV series is a little questionable and many might find it boring, but the OVA is good, the movie is great fun, and Exodus is absolutely excellent. I've no idea if they really are through with the franchise, it ended a little ambigiously, but the people working on it have absolutely gotten better and better and I hope whatever they get together to do next works out well

I also hope Exodus did well financially, I think it did better than expected but still not...ideal?

I've started watching Exodus and the fight choreography is really good. As for the first series, I feel like early on it has a very melancholic mood which I can understand isn't for everyone but I wouldn't call it boring per se. Also http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-06/sokyu-no-fafner-the-beyond-anime-project-1st-teaser-video-streamed/.110715

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think something can be delayed before a release date is given.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

There are always going to be trends in any kind of entertainment media. Sometimes mecha is on the upswing, sometimes it dies down a bit. As for whether you have a subjective bias, the answer is obviously yes because what is and isn't good is by nature subjective. For example I enjoyed Kuromukuro quite a lot (although I haven't been able to watch the second cour for practical reasons). Something else worth keeping in mind is that fiction is always changing; a mecha show made today is going to be different from one made in the 80s, so if you personally prefer the older style of mecha show newer stuff is going to seem worse.

As for recommendations, have you seen Majestic Prince? It's not a fantastic show but it's very fun and doesn't take itself too seriously and the action is really good. Also I disagree that Mellowlink is better than Votoms. The fights in Mellowlink are cool but outside of that it's a very standard revenge plot.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 7, 2017

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Isn't Muv-Luv a relatively recent, relatively big mecha franchise?

The original VN came out in 2003 so it's 14 years old.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm gonna take this moment to plug Concrete Revolutio, my favorite show of 2016. It is more a show where robots occasionally happen than a mecha show though.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

If art was truly celebrated in this world there would be a faithful anime version of the entire Getter Robo manga with an infinite budget.

Also getter robo would have been allowed to end.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

moe is good. any recommendations on a moe robot show?

Zone of the Enders Dolores : I

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

So I finished Fafner Exodus. It was really cool! I'm really glad I decided to start Fafner, I've really enjoyed the ride and am now eagerly awaiting The Beyond. The main criticisms I have of the franchise as a whole is that it starts kinda slow, and they throw a lot of terminology at you and expect you to infer the meaning. Also it isn't really a complaint, but the power escalation is insane, especially in Exodus when everyone gets superpowers out the wazoo!

As a side note: I swear at the end of ep 24 of Exodus when Kazuki comes to save the day an instrumental version of this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYe1snx1A78 starts playing, which blows my mind. Can anyone confirm this or am I just making a connection that isn't there?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I read the orignal manga for Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger and Grendizer. They were interesting from a historical perspective, but I don't think they were very good.

After Mazinger Z introduced the important characters the rest of it was just repetitive MOTW stuff until the end of the manga, the plot wasn't even resolved until Great Mazinger. Also I think the anime and manga must have been going on simultaneously, because Boss Borot was just there suddenly one chapter with no explanation.

Great Mazinger was better I'd say, but it did some really weird stuff plot-wise. For example, in one chapter they established that the Great General of Darkness took orders from the Emperor of Darkness, but at the end of the manga he's never confronted. They defeat all of the various generals and then we're just told that the rest of the army give up and slink away, which isn't really satisfying.

Grendizer was blatantly unfinished: At the end of the manga the Vega empire has not been defeated, and it just ends with "But as long as Grendizer is there Earth is surely safe!" which isn't satisfying at all. Also we're given no reason why Grendizer and the Mazingers aren't all working together. All the pilots are around, all the robots are around, and they have cameos in a chapter or two, so why aren't they working together all the time? This seems to me like the obvious thing to do not only from a plot perspective but a fan service perspective as well.

An issue all 3 had was that the main characters seemed like completely different people in the comedic scenes compared to the more serious ones. Something that was neat though was seeing how many plotbeats and specific shots are used and homaged in Shin Mazinger, and I'm really in the mood to rewatch that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Majestic Prince movie has been subbed and is on nyaa now. It was a lot of fun! It had the same comedic style as the tv show and the action was really good. If you enjoyed the show you should def. check it out.