Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

EDIT: nah i don't care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

been doing a wing rewatch with a friend seeing it for the first time. we're currently in the sanc kingdom arc and her take on it has been "this is like watching a fanfiction but it was written into the show. they're all in a high school AU and the fanfic's author put in a self insert that's richer than releena"

EDIT: oops this was supposed to go in the gundam thread but i guess this is fine

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dorothy is the self I wish I was

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think there's any actual difference in the average quality of a 12 episode vs 24 episode show, but at least if I like the 24 episode show there's more of it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the thing is i don't believe many shows would have actually turned out better if the producer was told on day 2 of preproduction "actually nevermind we've halved your episode count"

there's plenty of 12 episode shows that waste their time too. my feeling is that's down to issues within the team/production rather than the number of episodes they were given

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what kind of moral dispute do you have with madoka that makes you wish all the people who enjoy it didn't have it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

An overly bleak and cynical deconstruction* of a genre that didn't need it that is nowhere even remotely as clever or competent as it thinks it is that actively harmed the entire medium of anime(and most other mediums that intersect with it) by encouraging everyone and their grandma to try and copy it even more incompetently, and only really succeeded because the people involved on the visual and musical side of things did an admittedly really good job that in turn made it very easy to merchandise for

Rinse and repeat my argument for Devilman Crybaby, though add to that my additional opinion that it's source material isn't particularly good either

*deconstruction is one of those concepts that over the years I've learned to actively despise as it almost never has good results cause most people who try to do that are people who think they're way more clever than they actually are

Is anime mass copying madoka even a thing anymore? I feel like isekai power fantasy are the dominant fad now and the influence madoka had is a lot more subtle

But also this kinda reads like you're just salty that bleak media is occasionally popular

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Who tried to copy devilman crybaby?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i want to know how drrockso feels about evangelion now. after all i keep hearing madoka is the evangelion of magical girls so i'm sure evangelion ruined mecha anime the same way

Booky posted:

isn't madoka not even really that bleak too? :psyduck: it's fine to not like bleak stuff if thats not ur thing but iirc there's always been dark takes on genres, especially magical girl shows, and madoka seemed pretty influential which is why there was a lot of bad copies or w/e

from like, the halfway point until close to (but not actually at) the end it's fairly bleak. i wouldn't put it on the same level of bleakness as devilman crybaby even at its peak but i don't think it's an entirely inaccurate word to use to describe madoka

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 6, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i get not enjoying bleak media but the way people act like it's some kind of active detriment on society that needs to be destroyed is loving weird

in fact, i find that mindset kind of bleak

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Willo567 posted:

I read that the second movie reveals that every piece of E7 media, including the TV series, are worlds that Eureka made up over guilt for killing Renton. Doesn't that actually affect the original?

Actually, how well did the first two movies even do?

i think the answer here is "only if you care about that movie"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Do the G reco movies add much new animation?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Hey this isn't the gundam thread, oops

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i watched through the first couple episodes of giant robot recently and my takeaway was "this seems overhyped but it's decent"

i was much less impressed by the giant robot action than i thought i would be

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Because japan was the genociding side in ww2 and also "one side is beyond terrible, while the other merely sucks major rear end" is a pretty good descriptor of every war I'm aware of

Like what's the alternative, glorifying one side of the war while universally depicting the other as bloodthirsty monsters, so it's clear who should die and who shouldn't? I'm sure you can find american war propaganda movies quickly and easily if you're really itching for that. What is the approach to war you're looking for exactly?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I appreciate the intellectual pursuit of watching something for the joy of critically analyzing it rather than the base enjoyment of the work itself

I admit I skim many of chiasaur's dumpster diving posts but I enjoy that they're there and I hope he gets satisfaction out of the exercise

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What other mecha shows have compelling romance plots? I know macross has it as a whole thing, are there other examples?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Both g gundam and child soldiers are treasured hallmarks of the gundam franchise I'll have you know

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i want to know if literally anyone else would use the words "fraudulent and disgusting" to describe that

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Im pretty certain there wasn't any pivot. .hack was always intended as a game series with an anime prequel show, cyberconnect2 is a gaming company

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

thunderbolt is probably the most focused on how fighting in a war will twist your basic humanity against you in a nonstop congaline of suffering, but has a lot less focus on the broader politics of whether war is justified or not (its approach is more "the people who get to make that decision aren't the ones who will be suffering for it, so does it really matter?"). war in the pocket is going to be the one with the most to say about how the pop culture perception of war leaves civilian individuals tragically unprepared for what war actually entails. 0079 probably has the most attention paid to how war is conducted and perpetuates itself but is also probably one of the more "justified" wars (at least from the federation's end).

idk. every gundam is fundamentally about war and at least attempts to be a pretty complex discussion on it and its effects. hard to measure "most" without defining what anti-war specifically means to you. does it mean war is never justified? does it mean war fundamentally solves nothing? does it mean there are always better alternatives that should be sought after instead? does it mean war really really sucks to experience? like if you wanna discuss whether or not pacificism is a good alternative i'm not sure many gundams delve into that nearly as much as gundam wing does but i'd also certainly hesitate to call gundam wing "the most anti-war"

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 26, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think it'd be accurate to say she's a pacifist who hasn't thought it through much at all, but has strong moral opinions on it anyway

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Thanks for the feedback. To be honest I hadn’t thought much of the term “anti-war” beyond “war bad” so I guess I have something to chew on

Guess it’s time to check out Thunderbolt!

december sky is excellent and a nice, hour-long fairly self contained story

this is because it's effectively a prologue to a larger story, which bandit flower is part 1 of [who knows] on

there is no animated follow up to bandit flower and at this rate seems unlikely there ever will be. so you can stop at december sky satisfied with what you have or continue on to bandit flower for a story you won't see the rest of without reading the manga.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't realize "magical girls, but dark" was so looked down upon as a concept

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

that just seems really broad, it's a genre + a tone. was there like specific repeated story conceits or common plot elements that people got tired of?

i was also rather of the impression that darker concepts and tones were always common in magical girl anime and all madoka did was make the focus more explicitly on those elements

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 8, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It was like 5 years between ibo and gwitch!

I guess 86 can be thrown in the middle there as "basically the same tonal appeal"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

people coming into the mecha thread to let everyone know they hate popular anime puella magi madoka magica i guess

the current reason appears to be "because it's bad when shows are sad" which seems like an odd opinion to bring into the mecha thread but ok. i think i had an easier time sympathizing with "because it was a fad for a while"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

bwuh?

wuh?

i wish to know more

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Did 86 make a bunch of money? I know it was a critical success but idk if it was making second sequel money

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I found the original aquarion mostly kind of boring but evol was absurd enough for me to fondly recall watching it

That being said I have not seen the show in the better part of decade

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I like when the punch circumnavigated the globe and demolished the wall separating boys from girls, to which the school principal announced that love is outlawed

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

HAmbONE posted:

I’m not familiar with Dragonar, I will have to check it out. I meant no disrespect by my comment; simply by having black special forces and a black second in command seemed very progressive for the time. I am also not an expert on anime nor it’s history of portrayal of different races.

I don't think anyone here is. I'm glad you made that post highlighting M-66, as not only was I unaware of the representation in that show but now I'm learning about all these other old shows with good rep. Even if it did in fact have contemporaries that were as or more progressive I think it was a good observation to make and share.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

would evangelion have happened without gundam?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

No way. No Shinji without Amuro.

In a world without Gundam, Hideaki Anno grows up to open a motorcycle shop.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Anno loves Ultraman even more than Gundam, so a Gundam-less Eva would just be a Toku show.

what does anime look like in these timelines

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i, too, would not want to live in a timeline without gundam

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i can't imagine that [popular show] got fans outside of its genre to think it is somehow an exception in said genre

this is truly a phenomena unique to evangelion

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

you know all those people who say anime is for pedos except ghibli is cool? that's right. studio ghibli ruined anime.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

please tell me about the negative influences studio ghibli has had on the broader anime industry

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Fivemarks posted:

There's probably ACTUALLY a discussion to be had about how Ghibli's films and their critical acclaim in the west contributed to an idea that "If it wasn't Ghibli or like Ghibli, its a dumb kids show or mindless ultraviolence" that kinda tarred a lot of anime in the west in the 1980's and 1990's and on into the 2000's.

But I don't have to deal with people going "Princess Mononoke is the best thing every, you're stupid for liking Slayers because unlike Slayers, Princess Mononoke focuses on the characters," so that isn't a discssion I want to have, particularly.

there's probably actually a discussion to be had about how this is the natural mass response to any breakout work in an otherwise disliked or unknown market and it has nothing to do with ghibli, evangelion, or madoka other than "they happened to be high quality enough to have a chance at rolling the winning dice, and they did"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Anshu posted:

Idly curious which weird Kill la Kill scene you consider to be the most prominent.

someone post the buttslap copypasta