Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Regalia is really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

chiasaur11 posted:

Mind going into more detail? I like knowing more about how bad anime messes up. Especially when giant robots are involved.

I'm only 8 episodes in, and I'll probably never see the last 5 so maybe all of my complaints are addressed but I'll never know. So take my criticisms with a grain of salt.

First off, nothing is explained. Why do these robots transform into little girls? That's the entire premise of the show, this girl is suddenly revealed to secretly be a giant robot, and absolutely no one asks any questions. Oh well, my sister is a giant robot and other giant robots are trying to kill or capture her or something. I'm not going to ask any questions or try to get any basic expository information about this. The fact that there was some kind of big robot war in the past and most of the robots were died, and 2,000 years later these are the only robots left alive, is finally explained like 6 episodes in, and it still leaves the basic question unanswered. Why do they turn into people? Who is that weird kid and why is he trying to capture the robots? Why do two of the robots have apparently human companions who don't age but the main robot's adopted sister does age?

I want to be clear, I'm asking these question, but no one in the show does. They aren't mysteries, because apparently no one in the show gives a poo poo about the answers or even considers them questions worth asking. They are the most bafflingly uninquisitive characters I've ever seen.

beyond that, it's not bad in any catching or entertaining way, it's just kinda lovely and very clearly no one put much thought into it. As an example, the main character, Yui, is the empress of the fictional country the show is set in. As of episode 8, that doesn't really matter. She could be just a normal girl and the show could be set in the real world and there would be very few and very small changes to the story. She doesn't even live in a castle, she lives in a small apartment with her sister. So far the main impact Yui being an empress has had are that A: people in her neighborhood like her because she's the empress, and B: because she's the empress, she refuses to let evil robots kidnap her sister. NEITHER OF THOSE REQUIRE HER TO BE AM EMPRESS! She could just be popular in her neighborhood because she's friendly, and she could just refuse to let evil robots kidnap her sister because she's her sister! It's such a weird loving choice.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

dogsicle posted:

so basically nothing important is wrong with it

But Regalia doesn't have anything else to offer. The characters are all flawless best friends, and there's a couple slice of life sequences early on that actually work OK with. But that's a small part of the show overall. If you're going to keep on watching it's going to be because you are interested in the plot. There's no drama and there's no drive because outside of "a robot is attacking me literally right now, I have to fight it" the characters do nothing to drive the plot forwards at all. To watch the show to the end you'd have to literally care more about the plot than the characters do.

There was another show a few years back that was just girls are friends and there's some robot fights, Rinne no Lagrange. It wasn't spectacular, but I still enjoyed it. Regalia feels like it tried and failed to be Rinne no Lagrange.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I hope you do watch it and post your feelings. I don't like not liking things so I'd be happy to find out from someone else perspective that there's something to Regalia that I missed. I just can't find anything to it, it's got nothing, it has no selling points. There's nothing I can grab on to to be interested in the show

I do want to be clear though, I never said the staff didn't care. I know people who do animation work really hard and I'm sure they cared about what they were doing. But I will stand by my comment that big parts of the story and world don't seem to have much thought put into them.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 11, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Regalia opens with a ten years previous prologue showing a robot going overload or something and destroying a country. Like five episodes in an emissary from that country delivers an ultimatum to Yui, the Empress of the nation the show is set in. And her advisers are like, "that country was destroyed ten years ago and everyone died." "Oh look, that mysterious person who spoke with Yui at the cafe looks identical to the teenage empress of the destroyed country, she hasn't aged day" "Yes, all of this is true." Nobody investigates or is really bothered by the fact that they're being threatened by a nation that no longer exists, they all just take in stride.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

chiasaur11 posted:

Wait.

They have the empress of a country... live in a small apartment.

That's... I mean... why? One of the traditional perks of having a protagonist who's royalty is setting things in a big palace. Small apartments are for regular people protagonists.

We have visual shorthand for a reason!

The thing about production problems makes the series make more sense to me. Thinking back to it, in the first episode Yui and her sister have a little bit of dialogue about not seeing each other much recently, and I can easily imagine that at that point the idea was that Yui lived in the castle and her sister lived in the apartment alone. Yui was just dropping by to cook breakfast and catch up. But later on in the show they just both live in the apartment.

Like initially there was going to be a plotline about Yui and her sister growing apart because they lived separately, Yui was growing up while her sister stayed a child, Yui was the empress and her sister was an immortal ancient fighting robot, etc. But during the production troubles it got dropped and they ended up living together and having no problems.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The best action sequence in Full Metal Panic is the episode where Sosuke borrows Kaname's notebook and then forgets it at home

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

chiasaur11 posted:

It's also pretty notable how the characters react to things being lovely.

In Thunderbolt, it's "Yeah, that's how it is OUT HERE, and you gotta be TOUGH for how TERRIBLE THINGS ARE, man!"

In IBO it's "Yeah, they beat us whenever we mouthed off. Sucks, I guess. Anyway, got things to do, and everybody's had it rough one time or another."

For an obvious example, Atra's backstory's about as nasty as anything the Thunderbolt cast saw, and she's a regular bundle of sunshine.

The difference is that the IBO characters actually are in control of their own destinies to some degree. The choices they make shape the situations they are in. The characters in Thunderbolt are trapped. They are just very small parts of a very large war.

For your specific example, Atra's backstory is her backstory, it is something that happened to her in the past. The characters in Thunderbolt are undergoing their traumas during the show.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

IBO does draw a distinction between the "free" and slave Tekkadan members. The Human Debris kids are a lot more withdrawn and less sociable than the others

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ka0 posted:

I watched Gargantia when it came out, the only things I remember are: future advanced synthetic pod-grown people speak space-german, backwaters scrappy waterworld dwellers speak space-portuguese, chamber is kyon and oh boy that girl can belly dance with her friends.
Is Valvrave any good?

I remember it being disappointing but not bad, up until the trans panic episode

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

wielder posted:

That episode was the worst part of Gargantia, but I thought the show was decent overall. I suppose some folks were cynical about the main twist because it's been done before? Either way, I am still disappointed they cancelled the planned anime sequel and just made some light novels instead.

Speaking for myself, I thought the art and character and robot designs and world were all really cool and interesting, but for a somewhat slow moving character based show none of the characters outside the main guy got any real development. And the main guy's arc was good, but not really dramatic or interesting enough to hold up the entire show by itself

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1120376589068447744

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Xabungle is the best practical robot show. They siphon gas from all the defeated robots after every fight.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/Fotosdecomics/status/1145861366131175424

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Schwarzwald posted:

Y'all know Gundam, and most of you are familiar with Zambot 3, but before either of those shows Yoshiyuki Tomino, along with Combattler V's (not to mention Rose of Versailles's) Tadao Nagahama, worked on a super robot show called Yuusha Raideen.

Yuusha Raideen isn't widely discussed, but it was actually a pretty important show. It was one of the first anime produced that was not based on a previously existing intellectual property, it was the first super robot show (depending on your definition) that was not produced by Dynamic Productions. And while it was a formulaic monster-of-the-week show it the truest tradition, it also had a tension between it's commercial elements (the first transforming robot toy!) and it's oddly pessimistic themes.

It ain't quite "Wow, Cool Robot/War is Bad," on account of the show largely ain't that focused, but it plays at it in enough disparate directions that you can see how it would lead into shows like Gundam and Ideon down the line. So while the show isn't exactly good, it's just strange enough and formative enough to be really fascinating.

To that extent (and also because I went looking for youtube essay videos about robot anime a while back, and thought "I can do better than this") I have produced this video about the series. It touches upon everything mentioned as well as exploring the show in all it's weirdness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-s_cL8zHE

This is really cool and I hope you keep doing stuff like this, but you need to tighten up your editing. I watched the first fifteen minutes and I'm pretty sure most of that was just scenes from the first episode of Raideen playing in their entirety without commentary

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

the story line about the Xabungle characters' changing perception of death is fantastic

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ranzear posted:

Dang. Now I wanna play some 2020 Super Baseball.

SD Gundam I was aware of, but the heads start getting silly large and ... the eyes ... :stare:

I guess I could drill it down to: Distinct torso, equal size arms and legs, large foot area, square proportion overall. I'm going for 'compact' instead of cute, since these are land-air-space capable machines for a 2D game project.

I also can't help but notice these are all Sunrise.

Thanks guys!

various Dreadnoughts from Warhammer 40,000

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It is a goddamn travesty how little information there is online about the Silhouette Machines online. I couldn't even find good art of them, just small screencaps

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Anima Spiritia eeeeeeeeeeee

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Remember that one episode where the bad guys had an Overman that let everybody hear each other's thoughts, and Gainer defeated it by thinking so loudly about the girl he liked it drowned out everybody else?

Overman King Gainer was such a good show

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Srungle.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Macross shows Minmei's life as pretty lovely, in Plus the idol is an evil AI, 7 has a rock band, no idols, and Walkure in Delta are more an idol-themed military unit than anything like actual idols.

But fair enough on Frontier.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Who hated Gurren Lagann?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Muffinlord posted:

So my four year old is way into reviews of robot toys, and it's forcing me to confront some really hard questions about what it means to be a parent. Specifically, why does every combining mecha need to have a drill tank? Can anyone tell me what started this obsession with a vehicle that, as far as I can tell, doesn't exist? I know there are huge tunnel drilling machines and such that would fit the bill but I've never in my life seen an actual tank with a huge screw drill on the front.

Because of Thunderbirds

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm serious, it's because of Thunderbirds. Thunderbirds was huge and super influential in Japan

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OptimusShr posted:

Can you go into detail?

no

edit: not to be glib, but literally no. I know it aired in Japan in the 60s and was very popular and influential to mecha and Tokusatsu stuff, but I have no more information than that

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 12, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The guy from Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet is like that. The whole show is about that kind of character finding himself in a situation without any immediate mission and having to adjust to a slow, peaceful life defined by relationships with other people

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is there a way to watch the Brave franchise legally?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Droyer posted:

You can buy Gaogaigar and Betterman on DVD and maybe blu ray? The rest of them were never licensed in any capacity.

Looks like those DVDs are super out of print. I shall resort to crime.

Is there a recommended viewing order, other than just production order? Any duds I should avoid?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

One episode into Panzer World Galient and my main takeaway so far is "Jordy Volder" is a loving Rural Juror name

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Two episodes into Panzer World Galient and my main takeaway so far is I'm disappointed the hero robot isn't also a centaur

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I know there are a lot of contenders for most half-assed transformation, but the Galient is up there. It just leans forward on it's double jointed knees, and then a little thing on the back flops forward

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Omnicrom posted:

It makes a little more sense when you realize that the Galient in that picture is a combiner. I don't believe this is true before Galient gets its mid-season upgrade, but after that point it absolutely is shown it can detach the upper portion bird portion to fly around while the bottom half scoots around being a tank.

It doesn't necessarily make it any less lazy, but it does make it a little more goofy and that's always a plus.

Oh it's like Turn A Gundam, where they'll discover more features in this robot they dug up. That's neat

Speaking of which, I got to the part of Panzer World Galient where they go to a valley without any gravity, so it's full of knights with jet packs having laser axe battles around floating dragon skeletons.

Panzer World Galient kinda owns.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm not gonna read that spoiler until I'm done. So I don't know if it has anything to do with my biggest... not exactly an issue, more of a confusion or question? about the show. Which is, why does the bad guy look like Yakub

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I liked that one scene where Renton was chasing some deer and Holland chased after him yelling "Renton!"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I finished Panzer World Galient. It's pretty good!

The first half is very strong, especially because it's mainly Hilmocha driving the action. She's the best character by far, so when the story is determined by her kidnapping someone apparently for no reason just so she can get other people to go where she wants them, it owns. That's also the part of the show that has the knights with jet packs having laser axe battles around floating dragon skeletons, the high point of the show.

The second half is still good, but unfortunately it's where our protagonist, Joldy Vorder, largely takes over. And he's the least interesting character. Not much to him. And it kinda drags down the bad guy too, because they had to have their fight be personal, and it doesn't make a lot of sense. There's no reason for Mardoul to have turned the queen into a crystal instead of just killing her. Mardoul didn't care about Arst at all, it was just a place for him to raise an army so he could attack the planet he did care about. And when he does the "Join me, Jordy, and we shall rule the galaxy!" spiel it fell really flat to me. Once again, Mardoul gave no poo poo about Arst. He should've just killed Joldy at any of the opportunities he had to do so.

Panzer World Galient has a lot of stuff in it that's clearly just from the creator having seen Star Wars, but that part was so blatant and out of step with the rest.

But none of that is a huge problem. While Jordy might be a dud, the knights who rally to his side are neat, the robots are still cool, and even when Hilmocha isn't driving the plot she's still around and doing stuff and having her own story.

Panzer World Galient is pretty good. If someone was interested I'd tell them to go for it, but it's not something I'd give just a general recommendation for.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Omnicrom posted:

I'm a little pleased you highlighted some of the same stuff I saw as a problem in Galient a page back in my massive pile of spoilers. And I ultimately agree, Galient is pretty good but not good enough to recommend without reservations.

Reading your post, yeah you kinda nailed it. It would've been so easy to have Jordy be like, the little guy sticking up for individual people who messes up Mardoul's big picture scheme. That could've been a strong central concept and theme. And then have Hilmocha and High Schultat as the ones in the middle who see both sides but still pick one and fight for it. That would've been great.

But instead it's just Jordy fighting for his crystal mom while Mardoul monologues.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

One episode into Exkaiser and I'm beginning to suspect that my scheme to eventually watch the entire Brave franchise in order is not going to work out. I know that most mecha shows, including plenty of mecha shows I really love, were made for children. But Exkaiser is clearly aiming for a very young audience. The whole setup and character dynamics were very simple. When it got to the end and the voiceover was like, "Is your family's car an Exkasier too?!" I just got very strong vibes that is clearly not a show for me.

I'll give it a couple more episodes to see if it gets more interesting, but maybe I should just skip ahead to Betterman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/generalslug/status/1216212571499515904?s=20