Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
I'd completely forgotten that in the first season Edith tried to disgrace her sister socially and destory any chance of happiness for her out of pure spite. Edith for best character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Episode Eight Prediction: Since an insolent commoner was in his bedchamber last week, Robert dies this week, making Mary's arc complete. The life-cycle arrival of Isis II, aka 'Tiaa' makes it a lock. We don't learn who Mary ultimately marries as that is the big drama and reveal of the final Christmas special.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
She's gonna marry Tom, don't kid yourself.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

counterfeitsaint posted:

That would be the worst.

So yeah, probably.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

counterfeitsaint posted:

Fat Tom could never pass one of Mary's sex auditions.

Unless his cut dick reminds her of Mr. Pamuk's.

Tough call.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I remained hopeful up till the last second that Charles Blake would show up, a passel of piglets clutched to his side hollering at Mary to stop and remember the romance of the longest, muddiest night. But nope, she married Mr tall and Mr. boring and Mr. Soon to die in the meat grinder that was open wheel racing before even so much as the seat belt was invented.

I guess they are leaving a dozen things unresolved for the Christmas episode.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maggie Smith said on the Graham Norton show that she's glad this show is over. Also she's never watched Downton Abbey :lol:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mu Zeta posted:

Maggie Smith said on the Graham Norton show that she's glad this show is over. Also she's never watched Downton Abbey :lol:

Classic Dowager Countess :iceburn:

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
I can't believe the last scene of the show is Edith playing with her downs syndrome child around her nearly-first-husbands sarcophagus.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
The most consistently hilarious thing about this show were the disasters that kept befalling Bates.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Mu Zeta posted:

link?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I hope something nice happens for Edith in the Christmas Special. Perhaps Bertie will change his mind and come back and marry Edith and Mary will have to curtsy every time Edith walks into the room. Or, more likely, Edith will be driving Marigold in the car and it will crash and they will both die, or just Marigold so Edith can suffer for the rest of her life.

Everything turned out well rather neatly and quickly for Mary in the end.

No surprises with Thomas.

Spratt :lol:

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Spratt was the best part of the episode.

But by this point, I am just really feeling sorry for Edith. At least she's finding fulfillment with her magazine. But fuuuuck Mary for that.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, this episode just reminded me of what a massive oval office Mary was earlier on in the show. Somehow I'd forgotten! I'm glad for the reminder that people never change, after all!

...........I still like Barrow v2.0

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Propaganda Machine posted:

...........I still like Barrow v2.0
Anyone that does not like the spit upon, cross bearing, 4/5ths dead but still sweet to Master George version of Barrow is a monster, or worse yet that badly burnt possible-Crawley soldier from season 2.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Is it me, or does it seem Edith got some actual character development in the last two seasons? A non static character after all

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

I enjoyed Mary getting bitched out, finally; but thought it was a bit poo poo she got everyone in the last five minutes anyway.

Why this show dishes out the luck between Mary and Edith so lop-sidedly I'll never know. :shrug:

Spratt was p. funny though.

As an aside, am I the only one that couldn't keep Mary's three suitors straight? They all looked the exact same to me. I couldn't remember who the hell was who ever. Didn't help they are all entierly forgettable, I suppose.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
There's still the xmas special to close out the show, Edith might find happiness yet :v:

FoxTerrier posted:

I enjoyed Mary getting bitched out, finally; but thought it was a bit poo poo she got everyone in the last five minutes anyway.

Why this show dishes out the luck between Mary and Edith so lop-sidedly I'll never know. :shrug:

Spratt was p. funny though.

As an aside, am I the only one that couldn't keep Mary's three suitors straight? They all looked the exact same to me. I couldn't remember who the hell was who ever. Didn't help they are all entierly forgettable, I suppose.

Really? I thought Matthew Goode was head and shoulders above the rest of the pack.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Is it me, or does it seem Edith got some actual character development in the last two seasons? A non static character after all

It does feel like season1 Edith and season6 Edith are worlds apart

But then she was always my favorite sister from the beginning because of her spite against Mary, and I kinda miss that

still. She deserves the best ending. Screw Mary.. and her hats

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I really don't understand that ending. All that poo poo and Mary still comes out on top? It's like Carson is a writer on the show.

The Christmas special better have Edith with that Count dude.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

DeafNote posted:

It does feel like season1 Edith and season6 Edith are worlds apart

But then she was always my favorite sister from the beginning because of her spite against Mary, and I kinda miss that

still. She deserves the best ending. Screw Mary.. and her hats

gently caress mary she deserves nothing, Edith needed the happy ending.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I really don't understand that ending. All that poo poo and Mary still comes out on top? It's like Carson is a writer on the show.

The Christmas special better have Edith with that Count dude.

He was a marquess, which is above an earl but below a duke. If Edith marries him she would be known as Marchioness Edith Bumblyfuck or whatever his last name was. Lord Grantham is an earl, so Edith would outrank Mary, George, and her father at that point. The difference between a count and a marquess is that a count's land is inland ("country") and a Marquess's land borders a foreign country, so they must be relied upon to defend the country. and yes, I had to wiki that but its fascinating!!

They are clearly setting up something for the Marquess and Edith in the christmas special, with all the hints about his mother being ultra conservative and strong willed. I suspect a showdown between the Dowager, the potential mother in law, and possibly Lady Crawley as well. The only question really is who is going to play the Mother in Law, I'm hoping for Judy Dench.

The darkest timeline would have Mary's new husband in a race where her son decides to smuggle himself into the car and Edith's new husband is the co-pilot. Of course the car crashes and all 3 die. But in the twist happy ending, Edith is pregnant so her infant son is now both the new Marquess and the new Earl of Downton. He eventually goes on to bankrupt both lands and the final scene is Edith and Mary working as gardeners at Museum Downton Abbey, in a cinematic nod to The Last Emperor.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

spronk posted:

The darkest timeline would have
How quickly you overlook a re-animated corpse of Mr. Green laying waste to the house and all within on the day of the Servant's ball only to be heroically saved by Mr. Drewe and a band of local hobbledy-hoys who are visiting for a holiday grovel at his lordship's feet, but who is then bitten by the undead Mr. Green in the fracas and so who then tragically succumbs to thalassemia when there is no adrenaline to be found, THANKS TO THE HOSPITAL IN YORK.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

spronk posted:

He was a marquess, which is above an earl but below a duke. If Edith marries him she would be known as Marchioness Edith Bumblyfuck or whatever his last name was. Lord Grantham is an earl, so Edith would outrank Mary, George, and her father at that point. The difference between a count and a marquess is that a count's land is inland ("country") and a Marquess's land borders a foreign country, so they must be relied upon to defend the country. and yes, I had to wiki that but its fascinating!!

They are clearly setting up something for the Marquess and Edith in the christmas special, with all the hints about his mother being ultra conservative and strong willed. I suspect a showdown between the Dowager, the potential mother in law, and possibly Lady Crawley as well. The only question really is who is going to play the Mother in Law, I'm hoping for Judy Dench.

The darkest timeline would have Mary's new husband in a race where her son decides to smuggle himself into the car and Edith's new husband is the co-pilot. Of course the car crashes and all 3 die. But in the twist happy ending, Edith is pregnant so her infant son is now both the new Marquess and the new Earl of Downton. He eventually goes on to bankrupt both lands and the final scene is Edith and Mary working as gardeners at Museum Downton Abbey, in a cinematic nod to The Last Emperor.

Yeah this episode wasn't the final and presumably Edith and the marquess will end up happy together. Hellen Mirren would be a dope alternative to Judi Dench :allears:

English (any European nation's) peerage is insane but very interesting. Apparently the feminin of marquess is marchioness; which speaks to the supposed "march country" which those nobles protected. I'd assume most nobility of that rank can trace their ancestry back to the Scottish and Welsh borders?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Melty Pseudopatrick from season 2 will come back, marry Edith, and Mary will be disinherited. Carson hangs himself when Master George becomes Mister George.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Joining the gently caress Mary chorus. I do love the fact that everyone was lining up to yell at her, ending with the dowager coming home early for a shot.

Edith has always been my favorite sister as well, I hope she gets some happiness, you know, just once to mix poo poo up a bit. Maybe visiting her baby daddy grave was to remind us that he is a thing, so that he can come back during the X-mas special. Of course he's been gone all this time because he was in prison in Adolf. He's now a hard core, up and coming shining star in this strange new political movement taking Germany by storm.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I think we're all forgetting what's important here: who, if anyone, will be the new husband's valet?

I think the best ending we can hope for now (short of Mary still ending up marrying Branson, which seems unlikely now) is that the new husband is bisexual, Thomas becomes his valet, and he and Thomas begin a decades-long romance.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Melty Pseudopatrick from season 2 will come back, marry Edith, and Mary will be disinherited. Carson hangs himself when Master George becomes Mister George.

I forgot about melty pseudopatrick! Damned if that wasn't the weirdest subplot.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Onomarchus posted:

I think we're all forgetting what's important here: who, if anyone, will be the new husband's valet?

I think the best ending we can hope for now (short of Mary still ending up marrying Branson, which seems unlikely now) is that the new husband is bisexual, Thomas becomes his valet, and he and Thomas begin a decades-long romance.
Mary would be dead of an accident within hours if Henry Talbot was in any way amenable to putting his John Thomas in Thomas.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

Maybe visiting her baby daddy grave was to remind us that he is a thing, so that he can come back during the X-mas special.

It was hard to read but she took the kids to Sybil's grave, likely to emphasize her speech with Mary about them being the only ones to remember her.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

FoxTerrier posted:

I forgot about melty pseudopatrick! Damned if that wasn't the weirdest subplot.

The thing that was so weird about Melty Pseudopatrick was that it completely undermined the entire premise of the show and they never actually proved Melty Pseudopatrick to be a fake for some stupid reason.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Anybody who has watched this show for its entire run and who doesn't think that:

1) Mary is horrible and needs a bad ending;
2) Edith is cool and good and deserves a good ending

Is disabled in the head. Edith's development over the last few seasons has been great, and she deserves to be a high flying magazine proprietor and conquer the world.
Mary, on the other hand, is a horrible person who is clearly stuck in the past and who likes things the way they are. Probably why Carson bums her so much.

Why do I like this show god

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

thehustler posted:

Anybody who has watched this show for its entire run and who doesn't think that:

Is disabled in the head. Edith's development over the last few seasons has been great, and she deserves to be a high flying magazine proprietor and conquer the world.
Mary, on the other hand, is a horrible person who is clearly stuck in the past and who likes things the way they are. Probably why Carson bums her so much.

This show actually made me cry when Edith was leaving Marigold with the Drews' family. Laura Carmichael really nailed that scene. I don't even have kids and my heart was anguishing for her. Thankfully, the Dowager showed up shortly after to make some quips at Isabelle and all was right with Downton Abbey.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

thehustler posted:

Truth.

But it totally seems like the writer (Fellows?) has some kind of super weird blind spot when it comes to Mary. Like, almost as bad as Carson.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

thehustler posted:

This show truly is awful but if you think Edith is a more enjoyable character than Mary maybe YOU are disabled in the head :roflolmao:

And Mary already had her happy ending; she married Matthew Goode.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Hey, I never said Mary wasn't entertaining ;)

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

thehustler posted:

Hey, I never said Mary wasn't entertaining ;)

IMO characters should be rewarded for how good they are to watch, not any ethical or moral quality. It would make for more interesting TV :getin:

maxidious
Sep 25, 2007

Meh
Well there is still a christmas special so maybe Edith would get a happy ending.

Joking

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
I agree that Edith is pretty awesome these days, but let's not forget that she was the first to go out of her way to try to ruin her sister's life out of spite. Mary's hatred of her is not unfounded. I honestly like both characters, though. Mary is my favorite ice queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
At least from the dialogue between them, I think Mary has always been that way, long before what we've seen on the show.

I mean, literally everyone in the family including the Dowager gave her poo poo for it.

• Locked thread