Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Yeah but that was over a decade ago at this point, right? And Mary already got revenge for that by scuttling Edith's almost engagement to that older dude.

Ruining a second engagement after Pamook (sp?) has been long forgotten is a bit much to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
The Christmas special, and very last episode, is going to air Christmas Day in the UK. Nice pics but huge set of spoilers on who is going to be in the episode
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3317215/Lily-James-costume-Christmas-special-return-Miranda-star-Patricia-Hodge-joins-cast.html

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I cannot believe they thought it would be a good idea to cast Paul Gascoigne as Henry Talbot's father.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

FoxTerrier posted:

Yeah but that was over a decade ago at this point, right? And Mary already got revenge for that by scuttling Edith's almost engagement to that older dude.

Ruining a second engagement after Pamook (sp?) has been long forgotten is a bit much to say the least.

Yeah, I'm not at all defending what Mary did. It was awful. I'm just saying that I like her character for being a bitch.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvrMVf8HJ44

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Whatever "Downton Text Santa" is, it has several worthwhile gags.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
So, is this thing over yet? I stopped watching pretty early on but all my friends still love it, I want to mock them.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Pick posted:

So, is this thing over yet? I stopped watching pretty early on but all my friends still love it, I want to mock them.

One more Christmas episode and then done. It will air on December 25th, 2015 in the UK, and on February 28th, 2016 in the US.

But that doesn't stop you from mocking them, or from being wrong.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Burning_Monk posted:

One more Christmas episode […] on February 28th, 2016 in the US.

What?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The last season hasn't aired in the US yet. It starts in January and ends in February.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

That was a good closure to the story. Cousin Matthew gone unremarked an unmissed. The Bateses finally taking a complete backseat in the plot for at least an hour and a half. Thankfully Daisy's awful wig wasn't able to nearly ruin the finale, try as it did. And despite the closing rush of marriages I think Larry Gray and his conniving wife were the most perfect couple.

The best part was Thomas becoming butler. Downton is going to be staffed to the hilt with hot Jimmies in no time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

The best part was Thomas becoming butler. Downton is going to be staffed to the hilt with hot Jimmies in no time.

Given the sex scandals of the 1930s-80s pretty sure Downton would end up hosting the most prestigious lords of realm on a regular basis.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I'll spoiler this I guess, but re Dickie:

Was there a strong indication that his kids were poisoning him?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I thought it was more of a callback to the "Oh those London doctors don't know everything just because they are from that London" motif that killed Sybill.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Guess so. My wife blurted it out after he started feeling better but on second thoughts you're probably right.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Moleley is a pussy.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Did they ever explain why Merton didn't just tell his horrible children to behave or they'd get the title and nothing else? I'm sort of assuming I missed some remark about an entail at some point.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Spratt if the best character and the Dowager's reaction to his column was priceless.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
RIP Downton you were beautiful once.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

shadow puppet of a posted:

That was a good closure to the story. Cousin Matthew gone unremarked an unmissed. The Bateses finally taking a complete backseat in the plot for at least an hour and a half. Thankfully Daisy's awful wig wasn't able to nearly ruin the finale, try as it did. And despite the closing rush of marriages I think Larry Gray and his conniving wife were the most perfect couple.

Matthew was at least mentioned the previous 2 episodes

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

clown shoes posted:

Spratt if the best character and the Dowager's reaction to his column was priceless.

Hands down, I completely agree.

I want a spin-off that's the further adventures of Spratt, the advice columnist.

That was a good finale. I'm glad that it was pretty much happy all around. And loving FINALLY, Edith gets a husband, and a better title than Mary.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Mouse Dresser posted:

I want a spin-off that's the further adventures of Spratt, the advice columnist.

A fake TV show blog would do.

Actually, that would be amazing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It only took like 15 years, and two brushes with death for Barrow to learn how to not be a complete rear end in a top hat, and immediately be rewarded for it.

When Lady Edith and Mary's new husband were speeding by in that car, I briefly considered how ironic it would be if Mary lost two husbands and a sister to car accidents.

Violent mentioned going to London, not to see Bertie, I forgot the Marquis' name was Bertie, and my heart fluttered at the prospect of a Jeeves & Wooster crossover.

Lol at Bates avoiding the barrel of the hair dryer like it's a gun.

Holy poo poo, Edith's new digs. Good god, take that Mary.

I'm glad that was the ending. It was saccharine as hell, but Downton is that kind of show.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm glad that was the ending. It was saccharine as hell, but Downton is that kind of show.

Not exactly, Bates gets to wake up through the night to change nappies and Barrow is his boss for the rest of his natural life.

And Barrow will probably hire back O'Brien when Mrs. Hughes retires so there goes any hope of a happy Anna in their cottage retreat.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

UP AND ADAM posted:

Everyone here has watched Another Period right? It's a farcical parody of this show, with lots of LA-based comedians you may recognize. Michael Ian Black plays the stand-in for Mr Barrow and he's hilarious.

This is months ago but thanks for making me aware this existed. Holy poo poo it's great.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

FourLeaf posted:

This is months ago but thanks for making me aware this existed. Holy poo poo it's great.

Next time, I'll be sure to cry and vomit.

(I don't like this one as much as I wanted to, but it does have its moments)

Although to be fair, I don't think it's a full-out Downton standup. There are hints of Bravo in there. I feel like it would be better if they'd just commit to one or the other.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Propaganda Machine posted:

Next time, I'll be sure to cry and vomit.

(I don't like this one as much as I wanted to, but it does have its moments)

Although to be fair, I don't think it's a full-out Downton standup. There are hints of Bravo in there. I feel like it would be better if they'd just commit to one or the other.

Yeah, my first impression was Keeping Up With The Kardashians (well I guess that's on E! but whatever...) + Downton. But I feel like it's balanced pretty well.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP0uDT7cQ50

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Did they ever explain why Merton didn't just tell his horrible children to behave or they'd get the title and nothing else? I'm sort of assuming I missed some remark about an entail at some point.

Nope, he just never took any kind of initiative in telling his kids to not be dicks.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

The first season, or maybe the whole show, explains it. People like him and Lord Grantham--at that time, at least--weren't willing to transgress their particular patrilineal system even if they could get around an entail or, theoretically, didn't have one to deal with. It is the reason they have their country houses and titles in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Neither he or his new wife gave a poo poo. If a man tried to break tradition and screw over his 'heir' at that time, especially under those circumstances, he would have had to spend his last days in a courtroom. Suddenly getting a new wife and changing your will to write everyone but her out after being diagnosed with a terminal illness would be messy even today.

• Locked thread