Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I know, this may come a shock to some of you. I have been posting on this forum for a short while now, and I feel its high time I let you all know. Some of you may have perhaps been keen enough to pick up on subtle hints dropped here and there and have had suspicions. All I ask is that you treat me no different then what you did before.

Some of you may not like me for this, I know. Heck, I don't blame you. It can be a very confusing thing for simple farmers or generic fighters to understand. I have heard it all, trust me. "Are you sure this isn't just a phase? You know I went through a multiclass phase when I was in college, it doesn't mean anything!" to "Have you tried not being a wizard?". When I was first out it was somewhat shocking to me. I would try to consult the ancient texts for answers, but it was always lacking. I have been an openly proud wizard for about 20 years now. I have attended in marches, rights movements, you name it! I have been to loads of crazy wizard parties, in my youth I even dabbled in some ancient summoning's and communion with elder gods. I have seen it all, man!

I have always known, my parents have always known. It really is just something you are born as. I didn't pick it. I just so happened to be a person with low Strength, Con and Charisma, but exceptionally high Int and Wisdom. Now you are probably asking yourself "who the heck cares!" and you're right. But there is probably someone reading this now who is a closeted Wizard, Cleric or even a Druid! You must know that you are not alone. In today's society we are always told to aspire to be a Paladin, or a Fighter. poo poo, even Bards are more socially acceptable these days. And constantly in the media we are under-represented. And Clerics? Everyone thinks they are pedophiles because of those loving lowly priests! And when someone like me is represented it's always in such a cliche way. Oh look he is probably totally bad rear end, oh man his desk is soooo messy look at him he must be an aloof genius or something! No, actually. Most of us are very normal. We work normal adventuring jobs, some of us even wait tables. We are no different from you, other than we are much more fragile and wicked smart.

To start, I figured I should clear a lot of commonly asked questions and misconceptions up.

Q: So what, do you hate fighting evil and exploring dungeons or something?
A: No. Quite the opposite in fact. You would be quite surprised at how many wizards are in your average party. We are damned good at smiting evil too! Its just, evil is good at smiting us too.

Q: What about your family? Are you proud that you are ruining their tradition? You monster!
A: I am not proud of the hurt I may have caused my father. Myself, as is very typical with todays families, grew up in a household of Fighters. My mother and father were both very high level fighters, as were their parents and so on. I was somewhat lucky in a way, though, as I had siblings to carry on their family name as Fighters. But I could never be proud of myself if I tried to hide the fact that I was a Wizard from everyone my entire life.

Q: You do realize that you lot are the problem, right? All these eldritch horrors and abominations that plague our lands are because of your filthy, disgusting ways!
A: Whilst I do no disagree that some Wizards summoned all the evils in the worlds once, I must always remind people that they were in fact ordered to do so by FIGHTERS. There are bad people out there, Fighter or Wizards. But there are also good people! I know a lot of Wizards that help out at orphanages and graveyards, placing wards of protection around the place and clearing out giant spiders and their pesky cob webs. You should try meeting some of us, I am sure you will realize they are just as good as Fighters.

Q: B-but how do I spot one? How do I know I am not a Wizard!?
A: It's not about what you look like, its about who you are as a person. Here are a few examples of famous people throughout history that I bet you didn't even realize were Wizards!

American Hero and noted Slayer of Vampires, Abraham Lincoln.

British Hero and famed Wizard who blessed his allies to ensure victory, Winston Churchill

Famous Lich and Actress, Betty White.

As you can see we come in all shapes, sizes and genders! Whoever, I feel like I have gone on a lot already, and can be a lot to digest. But please do feel free to share below any questions you may have for me. Or even those of you who are in the WCDM (Wizard Cleric Druid Monk) society to share stories or seek advice on how to come out to your parents and loved ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfTjP4YDffI

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
wizards turn tears into joy and everyone's happy when a wizard walks by.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Woah, finally an accurate representation of us.

Sword and Sceptre
Jan 24, 2011

by vyelkin
Ive been thinking about multi classing into wizard from warlock can you please walk me through the process of becomning a wizard

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i thought this was going to be a thread about men proud of being middle aged virgins tbh

sigh someday there will be a thread for people like me

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Is warlock PC or is that like the n-word for wizards?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

me in my wizard tower

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBLkLwz4Oyo

is wwwyzzerdd a wizard or a computer

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh, this is gonna turn into a wizards vs draculas thing again isn't it?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hobohemian posted:

while i will concede that, like necromancers, warlocks do primarily disease-based damage, they lack true summoned pets, and instead focus on area of effect attacks. wizards, meanwhile, do mostly elemental and single-target damage

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Ugh, this is gonna turn into a wizards vs draculas thing again isn't it?

Draculas get laid all the drat time while all the famous wizards are virgins, it's not even a contest.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Doctor Schnabel posted:

while i will concede that, like necromancers, warlocks do primarily disease-based damage, they lack true summoned pets, and instead focus on area of effect attacks. wizards, meanwhile, do mostly elemental and single-target damage

So they're like wizards but darker. I don't know man, that seems pretty messed up.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

But how dost thou feel about gamers gate. Which side are you on.. pro or against wench.

Pisssssssssss

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Sword and Sceptre posted:

Ive been thinking about multi classing into wizard from warlock can you please walk me through the process of becomning a wizard

Sure I can! A Wizard isn't very far from a Warlock at all, there will be very little transitioning needed. Instead of drawing on demonic or dark powers, you draw on a more neutral power. This can be easier or harder for some, depending on their natural casting style. I personally found it easier to think of the color blue, as its closer to the color of the spells that spew forth from my hands in addition to being the natural color of this strain of arcane energy. Old habits die hard though, as I have spoken to many multi-classing warlocks that talk of the "red mist" that descends upon them in the heat of the moment, turning that blue into a purple. Purple is a no-no for Wizards, but is a common casting color for warlocks (as I am sure you are aware). They said they read a few books to help them get over the trouble, and some of them even consulted a Cleric and they were prescribed a treatment of herbal drinks to take daily until it stopped.

Some books I would recommend not only to you but other potential multi-classers is: Wizarding and You: An introduction into the arcane and elder gods (fourth edition) by Herbert S. Reinfeld, Transferring Power: A book on how to harness your innate magical abilities for things that may not be natural to you, and a must read for any beginner or master Eldritch: How one man can fold the universe, a book written and narrated by former President George W. Bush. Or if you are not the reading type, talk to your instructor to see if you can start going to gatherings of general magic caster. There you can "network" with others in fields you are interested in multi-classing to, they will be able to tell you more distilled versions (albeit less reliable) of the aforementioned books.

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srI_Vtydqko

Can you invite me to one of your parties?

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Hobohemian posted:

It is indeed PC. It is just a different type of Magic User. It is no less offensive than Cleric or Lich. :)

Hobohemian posted:

Draculas get laid all the drat time while all the famous wizards are virgins, it's not even a contest.

I do agree that a lot of the famous wizards are indeed virgins, there are still some great ones out there who have loads of sex. Draculars often gain temporary power for sex, while wizards are weakened by it. It's not entirely known why, but the leading theory at the moment has to do with us being polar opposites of each other. Wizards are alive, Draculas are dead, Wizards use mostly ranged spells and are fragile, Draculas are almost exclusively melee and are quite hardy. The list goes on but you get my point, I hope.

Hobohemian posted:

So they're like wizards but darker. I don't know man, that seems pretty messed up.

In the Wizarding world there is no darker or lighter. Whilst there is 'shadow magic' and 'white magic' neither are looked down upon. Well, white magic is looked down upon a little as they tend to be very whiney people, but I digress.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Schnabel posted:

me in my wizard tower

Looking nice there buddy! I like the addition you made to the wizard hat. I always admired magic users that hide their faces, it really makes them seem so cool!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I hear you turn non-wizards into frogs is this true?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

has anyone itt tried not being a wizard. i understand when you are playing debate and discussion things can get out of control, but maybe just try a different class next time?

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:
Being a Wizard is so 1990s.

Liches get Bitches.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

I hear you turn non-wizards into frogs is this true?

This has been known to happen from time to time to people who don't respect us properly, yes. :twisted:

Hell Yeah posted:

has anyone itt tried not being a wizard. i understand when you are playing debate and discussion things can get out of control, but maybe just try a different class next time?

Yeah, I tried it for a summer. I had this girlfriend and she was all like "Hey lets practice our hand to hand!" and I could see she was really into it but I just couldn't keep it up. She was a really sweet girl and I feel so mean telling her all these lies like how my armor is in the blacksmith getting repaired from a battle I was just in or how I totally love getting blood all over me in combat. We are still good friends to this day though, she says she doesn't hold it against me but sometimes I wonder.

String Beans posted:

Being a Wizard is so 1990s.

Liches get Bitches.

I find being a lich is just far too 'set in stone' for me, as once I die I just have to be a lich. I prefer the freedom of being alive, as I can die at any time I want really, but not the other way around.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i thought this was going to be a thread about men proud of being middle aged virgins tbh

sigh someday there will be a thread for people like me

Well why don't you go and make one. It's not like there is a fierce competition for quality on today's gibbis.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

What about the rogues??? Are we not even worth a mention? (And don't even try to tell me that we're included under "regular fighters" you classist bigot.)

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

What about the rogues??? Are we not even worth a mention? (And don't even try to tell me that we're included under "regular fighters" you classist bigot.)

Rogues are nothing more than scoundrels. There. I said it. If you guys want representation you really need to clean up your act and stop doing shady things! Perhaps then you can be included in our abbreviation (WCDM), but until then we can not associate with you lot.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
I'm class fluid. But one of my headmates is a wizard.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

If rogues are a separate class from fighters, then I suppose playing "outfield" should be considered a separate sport from "baseball" :rolleyes:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Rogues do it from behind bitch boy.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

If rogues are a separate class from fighters, then I suppose playing "outfield" should be considered a separate sport from "baseball" :rolleyes:

Exactly!

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i cast lightning bolt

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Parallax Scroll posted:

i cast lightning bolt

That's the spirit! Don't be afraid to let people know you are a magic wielder! Cast it loud and proud!! :)

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Jukeboxblues posted:

I find being a lich is just far too 'set in stone' for me, as once I die I just have to be a lich. I prefer the freedom of being alive, as I can die at any time I want really, but not the other way around.

It's a tough road to travel, but in time I'll come out about becoming a Demilich.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A rogue is just a cowardly fighter, IMO. I'm sorry if being a fighter isn't special snowflake enough for you but that's what you are. Stabbing someone from the shadows is still stabbing them. Don't make up a special class for it just because you lack the upper body strength to wield a sword.
Seriously you guys are worse than rangers. At least they make a pretense toward different tactics and fighting style (but in the end they're still just fighters).

I think the issue being ignored here is Paladin Erasure. Paladins like me aren't acknowledged by either the main magic user community or the fighter community. Nobody wants to touch us but we're here and we're proud, dammit!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

im really proud of this spell that turns any blades coming at you from behind into dicks

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

String Beans posted:

It's a tough road to travel, but in time I'll come out about becoming a Demilich.

Admirable. More power to you if you make it that far (haha, wizardly jokes.).

Applewhite posted:

A rogue is just a cowardly fighter, IMO. I'm sorry if being a fighter isn't special snowflake enough for you but that's what you are. Stabbing someone from the shadows is still stabbing them. Don't make up a special class for it just because you lack the upper body strength to wield a sword.
Seriously you guys are worse than rangers. At least they make a pretense toward different tactics and fighting style (but in the end they're still just fighters).

I think the issue being ignored here is Paladin Erasure. Paladins like me aren't acknowledged by either the main magic user community or the fighter community. Nobody wants to touch us but we're here and we're proud, dammit!

Oh god, here we go. :rolleyes:

Look, you Paladins are all the same. Talking down to everyone all the time, letting us know we are sinners or whatever. You're all so god damned righteous about everything you do. "What the hell are you doing? Don't experiment on those children!" oh yeah, like you never had to do some things for the greater good. You're all living in this fantasy world where we should all just do the right thing. Well guess what buddy, some of us might enjoy killing homeless people. Maybe we think we are doing the world a favor, trying out different experiments on them to see how far we can push the human body. Oh I don't hear you complaining when we come up with straight swords +2 with bonus damage against the undead, but heaven forbid we also summon an eldritch horror that destroys a country. There is just no pleasing you lot!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
dood what are you doing? the ministry of magic is going to be so pissed at you right now

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

The Goatfather posted:

im really proud of this spell that turns any blades coming at you from behind into dicks

Oh nice, that was you? You are causing a lot of buzz with the sorceress' at my college ya know. :heysexy:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
On behalf of all non-paladins.

gently caress you Paladins

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Jukeboxblues posted:

In the Wizarding world there is no darker or lighter. Whilst there is 'shadow magic' and 'white magic' neither are looked down upon. Well, white magic is looked down upon a little as they tend to be very whiney people, but I digress.

Classic dog-whistle classism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

dood what are you doing? the ministry of magic is going to be so pissed at you right now

lol more like the ministry of gay! owned, dumbledore or whatever low level bitch runs that place. I'm way above them dude. Their best wizards is called Harry, they can't be that impressive.

• Locked thread