Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I prefer the term Magic-American, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i dream of a world where there are no classes and everyone is a bard

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Are Psionics allowed?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gridlocked posted:

Are Psionics allowed?

no you can't play as Vegita this is a D&D game damnit :colbert:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Gridlocked posted:

Are Psionics allowed?

How many OCs do you have on Psiaffinity?
Psionics are the rogues of the magic user community IMO. "I use magic but I use different magic treat me special."

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Business Gorillas posted:

I prefer the term Magic-American, op

That's cool, whatever you want to be called is up to you. :)

Gridlocked posted:

Are Psionics allowed?

Heck yeah they are! Psionics are pretty rad people. :)

TEAYCHES posted:

This is a neat dream, but it doesn't allow people to express themselves enough I feel. Just my opinion. Not to mention I suck at music.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

no you can't play as Vegita this is a D&D game damnit :colbert:

Dude don't piss him off, he is going to ruin everyone's time either way, it might as well be in the one where he isn't crying about not being allowed to be a psionic.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

TEAYCHES posted:

Ideally everyone would be a member of the proletariat

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Jukeboxblues posted:

Oh god, here we go. :rolleyes:

Look, you Paladins are all the same. Talking down to everyone all the time, letting us know we are sinners or whatever. You're all so god damned righteous about everything you do. "What the hell are you doing? Don't experiment on those children!" oh yeah, like you never had to do some things for the greater good. You're all living in this fantasy world where we should all just do the right thing. Well guess what buddy, some of us might enjoy killing homeless people. Maybe we think we are doing the world a favor, trying out different experiments on them to see how far we can push the human body. Oh I don't hear you complaining when we come up with straight swords +2 with bonus damage against the undead, but heaven forbid we also summon an eldritch horror that destroys a country. There is just no pleasing you lot!

Ugh, typical. I suppose next you're going to tell everyone about how anyone who identifies as "Lawful Good" is kidding himself.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
im permabanned poster wizardstomper58. i first started exploring ud when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "irony" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "wizard staves" and "i love making GBS threads inside bags of holding" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically magic-induced hallucination. im now on potions of cure disease. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of ud exploration was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" ud to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a dreadful curse. peace.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Applewhite posted:

Ugh, typical. I suppose next you're going to tell everyone about how anyone who identifies as "Lawful Good" is kidding himself.

It's not a sustainable alignment.

Eventually your dogmatic lock step is going to lead you into a catch-22 and you're going to go full evil. History has so many examples of Paladins turning from the light, because some bitch boy rogue, with a bluff skill in the low triple digits, talks your rear end into killing orphans to save the rest of the town from plague.

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:
I think we can all agree in the Wizard community that sorcerers/sorceress have no place in it.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

Just want to say that before I write anything else everything I say does not directly reflect the views of WCDM's and is purely my own opinion. Welp, here we go!

The 'idea' of Lawful Good is absurd. You get so focused on justice of those who have committed wrong deeds or always doing the right thing no matter what that it allows you to either A) Be manipulated so drat easily, or B) Become so rigid in how you deal with things people just don't want to deal with you. "Oh great I can't hang out with Applewhite because he is just going to shun my illegal expedition into an ancient Tomb of the Gods that he isn't going to care about the freakin' sweet relic I found. So what if I let loose a greater evil that is still roaming the country side? This robe gives me insane fire resistance! I can basically solo a dragon at this point!".

Not to mention you are against killing people to get what you want? Wow dude, now that's immature.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I just want to be able to wear my stars and moons robes without people mocking me and trying to burn me at the stake

also so sick of people asking me to use my magic to heal them, do they not know the difference between a wizard and a cleric? Do they know how rude it is to assume all magic is alike?

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

String Beans posted:

I think we can all agree in the Wizard community that sorcerers/sorceress have no place in it.

I don't know man... Have you seen some of the sorceress' walking around these days? Talk about high charisma hubba hubba!

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Jukeboxblues posted:

I don't know man... Have you seen some of the sorceress' walking around these days? Talk about high charisma hubba hubba!

it's trash magic for trash people "look at me I'm dumb as bricks but I'm good looking so I can cast spells!"

:cripes:

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Luvcow posted:

I just want to be able to wear my stars and moons robes without people mocking me and trying to burn me at the stake

also so sick of people asking me to use my magic to heal them, do they not know the difference between a wizard and a cleric? Do they know how rude it is to assume all magic is alike?

Urgh, tell me about! loving cisclassed Fighters sometimes, I tell ya.

I was walking down a road the other day and this god drat blacksmith was leering at me. Sigh, just part of being a minority in this kingdom I guess.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

there need to be more regulations against offensive magic imo. i dont have a problem with arcane & elemental resistance, or even basic self defense like magic missile but theres no loving reason at all for anyone to be using fireball, or even worse are ppl who use lighting bolt like they actually have any idea where its gonna go next. thats how innocent ppl get killed. how many have to die before we say enough is enough

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

It's not a sustainable alignment.

Eventually your dogmatic lock step is going to lead you into a catch-22 and you're going to go full evil. History has so many examples of Paladins turning from the light, because some bitch boy rogue, with a bluff skill in the low triple digits, talks your rear end into killing orphans to save the rest of the town from plague.

This. This is my biggest pet peeve with society's treatment of paladins. We're rarely acknowledged in the media and when we are, it's only to portray us as overly dogmatic puritans who are perpetually one bad encounter away from becoming the next Arthas.
Just because you read it on TVTropes doesn't mean it's true.
Most paladins go their whole lives without bathing a whole village in the cleansing purity of holy fire, but no-one wants to talk about them.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Luvcow posted:

it's trash magic for trash people "look at me I'm dumb as bricks but I'm good looking so I can cast spells!"

Yeah but you gotta keep some of them around to keep us company. It gets awfully lonely up in my wizard tower, and there is no way another wizard worth their salt is going to stop their research to come visit me. Sometimes I give them little 'quests' to do for me like "go find this ancient herb that grows in this cave and bring me three duck feathers!" and they do it every time. They are just so stupid, but so so pretty.

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Luvcow posted:

Back in my day spellcasters were spellcasters and didn't need to hussy themselves up to do it

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Doctor Schnabel posted:

me in my wizard tower

the sorting ceremony really ain't what it used to be

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

TEAYCHES posted:

there need to be more regulations against offensive magic imo. i dont have a problem with arcane & elemental resistance, or even basic self defense like magic missile but theres no loving reason at all for anyone to be using fireball, or even worse are ppl who use lighting bolt like they actually have any idea where its gonna go next. thats how innocent ppl get killed. how many have to die before we say enough is enough

Oh and what if there is an evil wizard? Huh? Think about that? If I'm not allowed to prep some second level fireballs or something every day who is going to stop some bad wizard blowing up a town? You bards are all the same.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Luvcow posted:

wizards can heal people by casting Polymorph, and turning them into a healed version of themselves :eng101:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

String Beans posted:

Back in my day spellcasters were spellcasters and didn't need to hussy themselves up to do it

Oh bullshit grandpa. They had enchantresses in your day. Grandma told me all about your visit to the "guild hall"

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Jukeboxblues posted:

Oh and what if there is an evil wizard? Huh? Think about that? If I'm not allowed to prep some second level fireballs or something every day who is going to stop some bad wizard blowing up a town? You bards are all the same.

wow you might as well just have said "the only thing that can stop a bad wizard with fireball is a good wizard with fireball" thats fuckin bullshit and you know it. most of the time the "good wizard" is some self proclaimed hero who only escalates an already dangerous situation. there are nations where incineration deaths are ten times lower than ours and bard college is free. when will we catch up with the rest of the world??

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
*casts mordenkainen's disjunction on the thread*

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Jukeboxblues posted:

Just want to say that before I write anything else everything I say does not directly reflect the views of WCDM's and is purely my own opinion. Welp, here we go!

Weird how often I read/hear this sentence immediately before every single WCDM launches into the same diatribe.
And before you say anything, "killing people to drive out the evil within them because I want a world without evil" is not the same as "killing people to get sweet loot because I want loot" and if you can't see the difference then you are the immature one.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

Weird how often I read/hear this sentence immediately before every single WCDM launches into the same diatribe.
And before you say anything, "killing people to drive out the evil within them because I want a world without evil" is not the same as "killing people to get sweet loot because I want loot" are not even close to the same thing and if you can't see the difference then you are the immature one.

whats wrong with killing people? their souls just go to their plane of alignment, where they get to chill and be immortal with people of the same ideology. it's not immoral to kill anyone, heck you can just cast planeshift and go see them any time you want

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

String Beans posted:

your day sounds awful, hth

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

TEAYCHES posted:

wow you might as well just have said "the only thing that can stop a bad wizard with fireball is a good wizard with fireball" thats fuckin bullshit and you know it. most of the time the "good wizard" is some self proclaimed hero who only escalates an already dangerous situation. there are nations where incineration deaths are ten times lower than ours and bard college is free. when will we catch up with the rest of the world??

Bard college being free has a lot to do with it, I can tell ya that. A nation of whimps is what that causes! And I'd be damned if I'm gunna let this here fine nation become a nation of whimps! Our eternal doctrine clearly states that we have the right to prepare 1+ your class level in spell every day. Just because some of us like to use our rights doesn't mean we are a buncha savages! Go live with the elves or the flipping gnomes if you want a society where everyone is talking about their feelings or how the latest pair of mechanical boots is hella cool or whatever. loving neutral goods/lawful neutrals.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The ignorance is disgusting.
You know the other day I had someone tell me I "wasn't really a paladin" just because I put all my skill points into fighting abilities and only occasionally experiment with magic. As if that means I don't still feel the invisible pull of the ley lines beneath my feet or appreciate the arc of a big, glistening ice blast as it freezes a target solid.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

whats wrong with killing people? their souls just go to their plane of alignment, where they get to chill and be immortal with people of the same ideology. it's not immoral to kill anyone, heck you can just cast planeshift and go see them any time you want

By that logic maybe you should just kill yourself right now.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Applewhite posted:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Applewhite posted:

lol if you can't afford a raise dead spell at your local temple

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

And before you say anything, "killing people to drive out the evil within them because I want a world without evil" is not the same as "killing people to get sweet loot because I want loot" and if you can't see the difference then you are the immature one.

Um, obviously they are evil if they have the sweet loot that I want??? You lot are nothing more than Divine Justice Fighters. I bet if my 'god' was telling me this dude was evil it would be okay, huh? :rolleyes:

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Luvcow posted:

lol if you can't afford a raise dead spell at your local temple

He is probably too busy giving his gold away to orphans like an idiot.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

String Beans posted:

Oh great a wizardryportal'er, how did I know we were going to see at least one in this thread.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
"Oh billy I'm so sorry your mom died! Hey maybe if you got off your rear end and chose a lucrative path like wizard or warrior instead of farmhand you'd be able to bring her back but I guess you didn't really love her enough to do that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Rutibex posted:

The amount of ignorance in this statement is staggering. What are you, some loving twelve year old hedge mage that found his master's crystal ball unguarded and just decided to come on here and poo poo the place up?

I could start with how gods and souls interact in the ether of the astral plane but I would rather just tell you to put a magic missile through your stupid loving head.

• Locked thread