Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
http://i.imgur.com/B0ZkmWW.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

Awfully seductive move for a cockatiel there
:wiggle:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

That's how my cockateils would act if I happened to be holding an orange or a grapefruit

Pink or orange orbs are the most frightening things on earth
Yeah, Judah used to be loving terrified of soup cans or similar cans because ?????. Then he grew out of it. He's still afraid of people wearing white shirts. :iiam:

More cockatiels? Yes more cockatiels.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hatebeak is for punk-rear end motherfuckers. This is where it's at:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
BIRDS BIRDS BIRDS

WE GOT BIRDS ON SKATES

WE GOT BIRDS GRINDING SICK RAILS

WE GOT BIRDS ON TREADMILLS

WE GOT BIRDS EXPERIENCING EXISTENTIAL CRISES

WE EVEN HAVE PORTABLE BIRDS

BIRDS.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
OI MATE YOU THINK YOU'RE HARD YOU WANT A PIECE OF THIS OI WE GONNA FROW DOWN MATE OR WOT?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are those those owls that dig burrows in the ground? Are those a thing or some fever dream I had?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Manslaughter posted:

Wouldn't having a pet bird and then just letting it be out of a cage mean it just shits wherever it is when it needs to take a poo poo? Wouldn't you have bird poo poo on your tables and floors?
disclaimer: I've never owned a bird as a pet
Small birds more than big ones. Bigger, smarter parrots you can train to only do it if you hold them over something, or just to fly back to their cage. Others pick it up on their own, my cockatiel hates making GBS threads outside his cage so win-win for everyone.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Manslaughter posted:

Thanks for the info!!

I am your one-stop shop for information about parrots making GBS threads

You're welcome

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Out of the non-human animals in this house, the bird is definitely the smartest. The cat is a god-drat moron.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

John_A_Tallon posted:

White shirts washed with most detergents will be really bright UV reflectors. Birds can see in ultraviolet, and cockatiels in particular have very beautiful UV coloration.

Oh cool, I haven't seen a cockatiel UV pattern before. I remember reading a big article awhile back about how this was further confirmation or proof of birds being able to see in the UV spectrum and they had a bunch of male budgies with their wings spread, it was beautiful.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Robo Reagan posted:

our cat varies between pretty smart for an animal and dumb as poo poo to the point that im pretty sure a lot of the dumb is an act so we give it attention and treats and poo poo
Kiska has tried multiple times to eat wood, and also eats tiny bits of cardboard. She has run (multiple times) headlong into very obviously solid objects like walls. The idea of near-fresh king salmon or halibut, much less canned tuna, being edible is a mystery to her, but trying to eat the firewood is apparently okay. The vet has ruled out nutritional things or illnesses. It's the only time I've had a vet say about one of my animals that they might, essentially, just be kind of dumb.

At least she's good at catching mice, like the rain man of cats.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Exceedingly.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Where I lived in Arizona there were two pigeons (or maybe it was more I don't loving know about pigeon orgies) who would just gently caress constantly in the nest they'd made above my doorway on an overhanging roof. Sexy pigeon noises, constantly.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mange Mite posted:

the us government works the same way

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
At least we can all agree that cockatiels are objectively fuckin' fantastic, right?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

Concurrent with ownership of The Very Smart Cockatiel (for a Cockatiel Anyway) we also owned The Very Dumb Cockatiel. One of TVDC's most infamous stunts was the time she saw her own shadow act in a terribly offensive and frightening manner and immediately scurried into an adjacent wall, stunning herself for a good twenty minutes.
Yeah I mean... when I say the cockatiel is the smartest non-human in the house, that's not a high bar because the cat is just this side of being completely incompetent.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

I see a bird like that I'm not afraid to let him know "Yo you hosed up bro" even tho its a little unkind

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

klapman posted:

i want to be friends with geese, and be able to just chill with a goose posse whenever i'm on break so that nobody can make me go back to work
May I advise a cockatoo instead

They are smarter, louder and capable of doing more damage than dumb walking foie gras

And as an added bonus they are always ready to party

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

Cockateils love gettin in that falling water

The aforementioned Very Dumb Cockatiel was not good at bathing. Instead of flopping around in the water and tossing it up onto her back like normal teils do when given a dish of warm water she would just stand in it and and rock her breast back and forth in it like a chef's knife, cleanly wetting the two front columns of chest feathers and nothing else, so that afterward she had a pin stripe neat racing stripe.
Judah will start doing that bathing flailing when it's raining.

He is not outside in the rain.

Ten years on, and it seems to have yet to dawn on him that he never actually gets wet during these baths.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The full video is even better. Little dude is so happy about his paper towel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_-4KArFR08

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A Spider Covets posted:

i like this thread very much, thank you for all the bird videos, the WOOHOO bird is my favorite so far
Birds are pretty great yes woohoo!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Moon Potato posted:

Furbies.

Some birds are kind enough to give rides to other birds.

Hawks/birds of prey are awesome :black101: My house is surrounded by huge pastures and after they cut the grass there are mice and whatever everywhere, so for days after there are hawks just circling around and gorging. You can get pretty close and they'll still come down, it's neat but kind of :stare: because drat they're really pretty big when you get up close.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing those are... I don't know, what the gently caress do you call stuffed animals that are really artistic and meant for show.

Art.

Those are art.

:downs:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

Crows are pretty hilarious assholes
Yeah, watching magpies deliberately gently caress with my cat has been one of the best parts of this fall for me.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Games I have seen them playing include swinging around on branches (going upside down and back up again in a circle), playing "bird soccer" with macadamia nuts still in their shell, and biting parrots on the bottom.
I like these birds already.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I forgot this video existed and so watching it again was like seeing it for the first time again

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Robo Reagan posted:

i'm not a bird expert but in my opinion that is a good bird
I am not a bird expert but I am like a bird enthusiast which is the next best thing and yeah that is a goddamn good bird.

So is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95vR_DFbgQc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

An almost tonal cockatiel :staredog:
i love you gimme a kiss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCSKDb_UpDk