Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Could you please explain the difference between Sufi-Islam and the other branches of Islam? Every muslim I've spoken to just claim the Sufies are not real muslims, but non seem to want to explain why.

Also, Eid Mubarak :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Why are women placed at the back of mosques? If genders need to be separate during prayers, why not but men on the right and women on the left of a dividing screen or something?

I get that Islam doesn't allow paintings, but what about music? Or other types or art. Is there such a thing as Islamic art to show the glory of Allah?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Thank you for interesting replies. But I was thinking more of if there is an Islamic version of things like psalms, plain song, or gregorian chant. You do not have to be a believer to admire the incredible art produced through church history.

I can understand the idea of "OK, prayer time, let's make it easier to consentrate on God and not look at the pretty girl by separating the genders". I do not agree with it, but I can understand it. Still think some kind of side by side separation would be better than back to front. More equal?

I have yet another question, but that is sort of personal. Feel free to disregard if you want to. You have mentioned being disabled. Does that make it harder to do the kneeling and prostrating? If you are completely unable to do the correct movement, because you are in a wheelchair or something, does this mean you can't pray at all? Obviously facing Mecca is important, but if you were somewhere without a compass, would you have to skip a prayer, or is it more a case of doing your best, God will understand?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Thank you for excellent replies. I've wanted to ask a few of these before, but whenever I ask muslims in real life they answer with some version of "You plan to convert, right? :) No? Then why do you want to know? :( " I can see where they are coming from, but it makes it easier to simply not ask.

On to my new questions! Hadith. Can you translate them to modern day? Say there was a hadith going something like "The Prophet told his friend so-and-so to let his wife keep her camel so she had a way to visit her aging grandfather". Could someone use this to argue that muslim women should be allowed a car since cars fill the roles of camels today? (I totally made up this example, hope that is OK)

Food. I know some animals are absolutely forbidden, like pigs. But what about animals no one in Arabia knew about in the 600s? Reindeer, kangaroo, bison, etc. Are they automatically legal food since they are not specifically forbidden? At least if they are correctly slaughtered?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Amon Khonzu, did you ever see the film called "Reel bad arabs"? About how Arabs in general, but especially muslims are stereotyped in Hollywood? If you have, any thoughts?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
What do you know, it's on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKD3CnPJNOE

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Yet another food question! More specifically Ramadan. No food or drink between sun up and sun down. Should be simple enough. But what if you are so far north It is virtually 24 hour night or 24 hour day. Not much point in fasting for 2 hours. And going more than 20 hours without water doesn't sound like a great idea either. So, is there a rule saying something like "If it is more than 20 hours daylight or nighttime, you follow the clock in Mecca" or anything like that?

Same question for space flight. How would a muslim astronaut calculate things like fasting and prayer times?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Slightly silly question: Do you think God has a sense of humour?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Mosque cats are a thing? Aw...

One muslim woman I worked with claimed it was "more islamic" to adopt than to have your own children. Which lead to a very animated debate with another woman. I only overheard parts of this quarrel, which sort of ended with a screaming match.

Are there any rules about adoption, or was this completely unrelated to religion? This happened in UAE, where I worked for 6 months. I may possibly do another 18 months there, not decided yet.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I love this kitty! :) Who am I kidding, I love ALL kitties!

Yet another question. How do Islam view cosmetic surgery? Is thre a sense of "God created you like this so deal with it!" or "It was God's will you be horribly disfigured in a fire"? Or is it seen as perfectly OK to "improve" what you look like? Would there be a difference between vanity like a face lift and something like reconstructive surgery after cancer? Are things like cochlear implants seen as a great help or more a trying to interfer with God wanting you to be deaf? Artificial limps?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Are there any rules about sex inside marriage in Islam? Like "forbidden" positions or practices? As a muslim woman, how do you feel about the whole plural wives are OK but plural husbands is an absolute NO! ?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
If a muslim does something that is forbidden, say eat pork, on accient. Is it still conseidered a sin? If it is not an accident, just a "I want to eat bacon, just once so I know what I'm missing out on", is there some kind of ritual or other way to cancel out the sin? Some kind of 30 days of extra prayers and donate X amounts to charity, and Allah will pretend your bacon eating never happened?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Since you brought up alcohol, how are recreational drugs viewed?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Latey someone has been spamming my facebook with pictures of muslims whipping themselves. I know this is some kind of celebration, but not sure what it's all about. Anyway, this person keeps claiming thse are pictures of prisoners, being forced to whip eachother through the streets, and this is what is going to happen in Europe by 2040 unless we stop the Islamic invation blah-blah-blah. Obviously, I find this extremely racist and completely ridiculous. So, help me come up with a good reply to shut down the stream of these claims?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Thank you!

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Why is marriage so important to muslims? The idea of being a divorced woman with zero interest in getting a new husband seems to baffle a lot of my muslim friends. With a lot of "You know Muslim men can marry Christian women? My cousin/friend/something....*hint* *wink*"

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Sinceit is Halloween today, how do Muslims feel about celebrating non-Islamic holidays? Can you do Halloween, or national holidays? Think 4th of July for American Muslims, Gay Fawkes in the UK and so on.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Tendai posted:

So yeah it'll kind of depend on who you ask, the holiday in question and other things. The Eids are the big holidays in Islam; if you are near a mosque or study center and they do any kind of open celebration on Eid al-Fitr, go to it because the food is amazing.

When I worked in UAE some people in the office actually gave me gifts at one of the Eids. A box of chocolate covered dates and a very thin abaya decorated with silver embroidery. So for Christmas I brought in home made cookies and chocolates for everyone. Fun times :)

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Do muslims pray for or on behalf of others? "Dear Alah, please keep my son safe" or "Please God, help my friend find faith in you" or "God, comfort those who grieve after the earthquake" etc?

Talking of forgiveness, how do muslims view forgiving others? Is there a concept of trying to forgive those who wrong you? Are you a better muslim if you forgive the person who stole something rather than seeking punishment?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
This one may be more a cultural thing than an Islamic thing, but why would "Blue eyed and lefthanded!" be used as an insult against someone? As in "Stop acting like you are blue eyed and lefthanded!" And what's with the blue eye amulets hanging here and there? Do they have a special meaning?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
What are muslim funeral customs? What is the "correct" way to tell someone you are really sorry their dad died. Am I offending anyone if I send her flowers like I would any other friend who lost their father?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Amun Khonsu posted:

Typically, the family mourns in private for the first 3 days and only close family members visit them at their private home. During this time the body is washed and prepared for burial. It will then be taken to the Mosque where a special prayer service (Janazah) will be held after one of the formal prayer times. Immediately afterwards the body will be brought to the graveyard and buried. The family typically invites people (can be anyone) to the burial.

There is nothing wrong with sending flowers or offering condolences to the family after the Janazah sent to the families home or given to them after burial. It is customary to hold a more open "dinner" gathering to invite a larger group of family and friends at the home of the family and read Qur'an or talk about the life of the person. Anyone the family invites can come. In addition to this, some cultures hold a special Qur'an reading called a Khatam and they invite anyone the family wishes to those.

The important thing to remember is that the family has the right to mourn in private for the first 3 days. This basically means that people that are not close family should not try to contact them during that time. After that, then its okay.

Thank you. It's a co-worker posting on FaceBook that she just lost her dad and is sorry she can't go back to the funeral. I know they were quite close, so I guess she is pretty down right now. I'll give it a few days the call her.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Why is green such an important colour in Islam? Are there other colour symbolisms as well?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Why do converts change their names? Is there a rule you can't be a muslim and still be called Kate Smith or Alan Brown?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Tendai posted:

It used to be when I first converted that a lot of stuff online available to me said "YOU MUST CHANGE YOUR NAME," but luckily saner heads prevailed generally, it would seem now. Now most of the people I see personally doing it upon converting are white kids who want to be different.

I think the only obligatory name change is if it's something like, religiously offensive, according to orthodox Muslim scholars.

So what would be an absolutely nope, you can't have that name? I know some people in Sweden use Norse gods as names, like Thor and Freya. Would that count? Biblical names like Jesus and Peter?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Those are adorable! Mosque kittens need to be a thing everywhere. Please let this spread to churches as well.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
What is the Islamic view on reproductive health? Is it seen as OK to get doctors to help you start a family? In vitro fertilisation? Hormone treatments? Sperm donors?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Another etiquette question! Just learned that one of the co-workers had a babay. Really happy for her, I know she was trying to get pregnant for a long time. Now, are there any rules on greeting new babies? Will I insult some Islamic rule if I send her a card and a gift? Are there any gifts that are inapropriate? We are talking girl baby, Indian muslim living in UAE, in case that makes a difference. Trying to stay in touch since I've decided to take another stint there myself, will move in October.

Are there any kind of baby rituals in Islam? Some kind of name ceremony or presenting the baby?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Ramadan Qareem people who are so great at answering my questions :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Eid Mubarak to all the Muslim Goons. :)

(Hope that was right, learning Arabic is HARD)

Eit: Apparantly my Arabic letters don't work here.

BattyKiara fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 6, 2016

• Locked thread