Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What's the view of Christianity and Jews in Islam? Why do Jews get preferential treatment, but Christians don't?

Is there a sect of Islam that tries to reconcile both Christianity and Islam? Something like a western version of the Sikh faith?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This is a great thread, thanks for all the answers!

How much is actually known about Mohammed and his personal views? If he was alive today, what would he think about the modern state of Islam in the world?

What was early Islam like? Were there any major changes, as it grew in size and influence? (like Christianity turning from an apolitical religion for women, slaves and the poor to an opulent state religion)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I was always fascinated by how the image of God/Gods changes over time. For example, the way Greek gods changed between the archaic and ancient period. Or the contrast between God in the old and the new testament.

Are there any dramatic changes in the Islamic perspective, compared to Judaism and Christianity? I think someone already mentioned that Islam has a more pantheistic vibe to it.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tendai posted:

That depends on entirely which line of thought you follow, wahdat al-wujud or wahdat ash-shuhud, the two areas I mentioned before. The first holds essentially that Allah and Creation are one and indivisible (this is a MASSIVE oversimplification, but it works), the second that they're totally separate. In my experience, this isn't something that the Average Muslim pays much mind to and is mostly focused on by some scholars and a whole lot of Sufis. Offhand I'd guess that the general point of view would be for wahdat ash-shuhud with Allah as a specific and anthropomorphic figure.

In terms of the portrayal of Allah, I can't really think of any big shifts like you're talking about in the Greek pantheon, but there might be. Someone with a more specific knowledge of that area of theological history might be able to answer that.

IRC people are made in Gods image, according to Christianity. That's why it makes sense that God can have emotions like love for humanity. But how would that even work with a non anthropomorphic divine being? How to ascribe motivations to such a being?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

MrNemo posted:

Although equally you can get pointlessly strict rules lawyer types as well, a friend of mine who hadn't prayed for years decided to do Ramadan. She got up for morning prayers and everything else but was almost in tears when one of the Malaysian workers informed her that her prayers for the day didn't count as her ankles were showing.

Yes, the all-loving creator of the universe, the maker of billions of galaxies, cares whether your ankles showed during prayer or not. Of course!

Some people are just too dumb to live, whether they are religious or not.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

pidan posted:

I've always felt that Islam is pretty extremely focused on following a set of clearly defined rules. I mean, both Jews and Christians have teachings along the lines of:

wait, what?

I'm sure that's not true, even for Christianity. The majority of Christians in the world are Catholics, and they have a ridiculous amount of micromanaging rules for everyday life. There are rules on when to eat fish, how to pray, how to confess and how to gently caress. It's almost totalitarian.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Bolocko posted:

Regarding coitus, in effect yes, that's more or less the gist of it. Couples can do other things to avoid the possibility of pregnancy: Catholic Natural Family Planning is absolutely a thing.

That seems totally inconsistent to me. A woman can only get pregnant during a few days of the month. If you are having sex outside that time period you are doing it just for fun and not for procreation, right?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Bolocko posted:

As I said, sex for fun isn't prohibited, and sex outside the fertility window isn't disrespectful of God's procreative design, which is not that we only have sex when pregnancy is most likely to occur.

Please don't take it the wrong way, but this makes absolutely no sense to me. It seems like it's trying to unify two totally different views on sex.

the ultimate purpose of sex should be procreation <-> it's totally fine to have sex for fun only, as much as you want, even if you don't want children

I just don't get it, this is like when I tried to comprehend the Trinity, but with more sex. I think I'll stick to Islam as my fallback religion. At least it kinda makes logical sense most of the time.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Amun Khonsu posted:

The Qur'an speaks of the existence of Alien lifeforms, existence of multiple dimensions (known as M-Theory or String theory today), Day of Judgement on some of them, all of them look to One God. Here are some verses of the Qur'an that justify this.

The belief in multiple worlds is probably as old as humanity and definitely predates Islam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_pluralism

Sorry, but I'm gonna be really skeptical about the Quran containing any specifics of modern astrophysics and cosmology.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Amun Khonsu posted:

However, it is clear that the Qur'an specifically mentions ideas that we have been discovering in the scientific realm for centuries since. It is a fact that has been the reason for technological advances during the Islamic Golden Age when Europe was in the Dark Ages, which helped them begin to revitalize their educational institutions during the renaissance and subsequently where we get the basis for much of our modern day technology.

That's definitely true, but I find it pretty bizarre to claim that the Quran contains facts about modern science. I looked at the wikipedia page on the matter and every single example that they mentioned is just some extremely vague and generic statement, that can mean whatever you want it to mean. I see nothing there that hasn't been common knowledge in many regions of the world at that point.

e:

Like for example:

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the earth were of one piece, then We parted them and we made every living thing of water? Will they not then believe?

I think "parting of heavens and earth" is already mentioned in Genesis? And all living organisms being made from primarily water is pretty self-evident to every human being. Why would you ever try to contort that into things like the big bang and hydrogen fusion?

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 29, 2015

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Amun Khonsu posted:

wikipedia is not an Islamic source.

I am giving you the opinion of Islamic scholars as well as most Muslims who study Qur'an. I dont find it bizarre at all. Western science does not hold monopoly on the truths revealed before it and much of western science is based on what came before it. What came before it is scientific discovery from the European renaissance and what came before that was the Islamic Golden Age of discovery, and before that, the discoveries of the ancient Greeks. Our modern technology and discovery in science is based on a long history of human development. We cannot omit Islamic discovery which Muslims have based in Qur'an for 1400 years.

To re-iterate, and as you have stated, many of these ideas existed prior to Islam. Even scholars of the Torah have debated the issue of extraterrestrial life based on its verses. Islam holds that the Torah was revealed to the Jews by Allah. We believe in the Torah as revealed to Musa (Moses).

No disagreement here. I was just curious about people who claim that the Quran can be a valuable contribution to science today, which is not something that you encounter with mainstream Christianity and the Bible very often.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

That makes perfect sense. After all, the revelations of the Abrahamic holy texts all started with an infinite, omnipotent god telling a mortal man not only how to begin to comprehend the infinite, but that he should gain sufficient understanding of the idea to explain it to other mortals.

An then there is the ancient text of the srimad bhagavatam, which has a chapter that is actually titled "calculating time from the atom" and begins with

quote:

The material manifestation's ultimate particle, which is indivisible and not formed into a body, is called the atom. It exists always as an invisible identity, even after the dissolution of all forms. The material body is but a combination of such atoms, but it is misunderstood by the common man.

Indians knew :tinfoil:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I know poo poo about Islam, but I can guarantee you that God doesn't give a single gently caress about a kid singing a Christmas song in school.

If God is so stupid that he mistakes a Christmas carol for real idolatry, I don't even know what to say here.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Zakmonster posted:

Lifestyle choice is incorrect. We understand that homosexuality isn't a choice. As such, their 'end game' is celibacy. It's tough, and it's not fair because God made you this way (if you're the type of Muslim who believes that), but God also made some people to have crippling physical or mental disabilities. Not everyone's life circumstances are equal, and the understanding is that the harder your 'test' in this world, the better your reward in the next.

So, if you had a gay kid, you would be totally fine with him/her living in misery and never finding love? Would you really want that for your own child, if all it takes for them to be happy and fulfilled is to embrace a more modern and liberal denomination of Islam?

Wouldn't you want to have (adopted) grandkids some day?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Zakmonster posted:

Oh he can find love and be in a relationship with someone, as long as that relationship involves no sex.

Sorry, but I can't take this serious. If you say that you are allowed to outlawyer god and his laws, than you are just making poo poo up at this point. I can just as well claim that gay sex, while standing up, is totally fine, since god forbade LAYING with a man, not standing up. After all, god knows what he is doing and chose his words carefully. If he meant sex and not laying, then he would have said so. Who are you to argue with god, yadda yadda ...

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ashgromnies posted:

I think the difference is that many Westerners think smoking weed should not be a crime, and many westerners move towards that. But you said that homosexual actions (or other Zina) can never be considered acceptable by Muslims.

There are sects/denominations of Islam that are totally fine with gays. I remember that because they got lovely death threats from some fundamentalist shitheads and it was all over the news. I don't remember what they are called, but you can probably google it. There is nothing magic or exceptional about Islam and their hate of gays, compared to other religions.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ashgromnies posted:

That's not what the Muslims in the thread are saying, though. They're saying it's always sin. People might "look the other way" but it's still sin and against sharia in any form -- is this incorrect? Because that's what the past page seems to have said.

Well, the three muslims in this thread are not the only muslims in the world. There are some muslims who say that it is not a sin. (probably a tiny, tiny minority)

quote:

So it is, in fact, unique if compared to, say, Christianity which offers believers an easy "out" in the form of the old and new covenants. "Oh, yeah, the anti-gay stuff is all Old Testament and Jesus came by and said that we have a new law and don't need to worry about that any more" is the moderate Christian response. Do you see the difference?

You picked a pretty bad example here, because only a minority of Christians believe that the Old Testament is no longer binding. For most Christians it is still the law of god (how much of it, depends on the denomination/sect).

Look, this poo poo ain't magic. You either say that the rules in the Quran must always be considered in their historic context and that's how god intended for people to apply them, or you just lawyer your way out of it. Like, look at this:

For ye practice your lusts on men in preference to women: ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds.

It clearly speaks about not PREFERING butt sex with men, so it applies to a situation where you already have sex with women. It's obviously a passage about not neglectin your womin' and denying her marital rights to her and not making children with her. If you never have sex with chicks, you are not PREFERING a men and you are totally fine to have butt sex with your boyfriend.

- The Imam waitwhatno, on the Something Awful Forums

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ashgromnies posted:

Are you a Muslim? You keep appealing to authority but haven't posted any imams that agree with your viewpoint and the self-identified Muslims in the thread contradict what you're saying.

If you spend a couple seconds on google you will find multiple pro-gay Islamic scholars, Islamic pro-LGBT groups, gay Imams and whatever else you need. I'm sure as hell not gonna assemble a comprehensive list for you here, it's not like you give a poo poo or even gonna read it. :wink:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Doesn't sound like that to me. Sounds more to me like he's just trying to find the fluffiest words possible to express bigotry.

Justice is not possible in a system where you believe some people have sinned just by being born, imo. It is for that reason that I do not believe that God, being just, considers anyone's mere existence to be wrong.

Read the last two pages, being gay is not a sin. Only the splitting of rear end to ram cock is a sin. You can probably even kiss and it will not be a sin, but I dunno.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Fuzz posted:

If God doesn't like butt sex, oh well. If it's a sin, maybe he'll forgive it. If premarital sex is a sin, maybe he'll forgive me for it, too. I'm a pretty good person otherwise, and believe in God, so either way, even if I end up going to Hell for sinning more than good deeding, eventually I'll get out because I believe in God and that's the only unforgivable sin.

I can't tell if God will compare us against all the other people of our Era or if he'll just have a universal benchmark for all people, be they stone age tribal people that lived before any of his books were revealed or if they live on a moonbase in some other galaxy and have to pray facing the Stargate that got them there. I don't really give a poo poo.

All I can do is be a good person and live my life. That includes being friends with gay people and not giving a poo poo about what they do in private, because just like a hetero couple it's none of my goddamn business, same way if I'm loving my girlfriend every night who I have no intention of marrying and we use condoms every time, it's none of your goddamn business, either.

God will make of it what he will. I give money to poor people, am generally a good person, have helped save several hundred lives in the last few years, and otherwise have tried to help people live healthier lives. Yes, I've also been involved when errors were made by someone, and people died. Far fewer of those cases than the others, obviously, but still, sometimes I wonder if I could have done something differently or if I'm either partly or wholly responsible for someone's death. Do I go flog myself about it?

No, I just keep living my life, trying to do the best I can because I'm flawed because I'm human, and no one is perfect, not even the Prophet was. Neither was Jesus, according to the Quran, he blinded people for pissing him off when he was a kid, among other things. That's a story you only find in the Quran since we don't deify him because he was just a dude that happened to need miracles to get people to believe him.

Pleeeeaase, don't be silly. Islam is forever and ever incompatible with post-modern society. You don't exist and everybody knows that!

Silly liberal strawman, thinks he is people. :rolleyes:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tendai posted:

Is it really all that surprising that sex is used as a way to talk about Paradise, considering that sex is universal to the human experience and (generally speaking) feels really good? I've never quite understood the hang-up on those descriptions, to me it comes off as more a way of saying "Seriously guys, you have no idea how good this is gonna be, here's an attempt at describing it" than anything literal. I mean, of all the things to be all "gasp, look at those Muslims" about, that is... probably not high up on the list, I'd think.

I think the hangup is more about the fact that you get a bunch of sex slaves in paradise. The idea of sex slaves is absolutely revolting to most modern people.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Fizzil posted:

i imagine its supposed to be a place where you can have anything

Even sex slaves?

Also, how is this any different from the Quran& The Gays situation earlier? You take the gay passage absolutely literal with zero wiggle room for interpretation. But the virgins passage is totally metaphorical and should not be taken literal? Why are they different?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Maoist Pussy posted:

Social justice would be Islam pulling out of Persia and North Africa and returning them to their historical cultures.

Homo sapiens sapiens must immediately retreat from all occupied Neanderthal territory, by 5 pm tomorrow. If my social justice demands are not met by then, I WILL proceed to poo poo myself in public!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

There is no developed Islamic country yet, right? So how do you imagine such a country would look like? Would it be just as liberal and unreligious as a Christian country?

I mean, all Muslims in this thread are far more religiously conservative than the average Christian in the west. Would a modern Islamic country be full of people like you or more of liberal types, like in the west?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

P-Mack posted:

Check out Albania, which is literally European, if you're not just trolling.

Albania is an impoverished shithole and very far away from being a developed country. Not sure what you are getting at.

Fuzz posted:

:what:

I'm not sure where you're getting that from, at all. Like, multiple Muslims in this thread (like me) have remarked about how we're pretty liberal and chill, meanwhile according to surveys (http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/) The average Christian (all denominations inclusive) cares more about religious matters.

All is a pretty extreme word.

Developed nations are getting increasingly less religious and more and more people turn to atheism and agnosticism. I guess I'm just wondering what conservative Muslims, who want Islam to grow and become stronger, think about this fate? Church membership in Europe is in free fall and the same thing will happen to Islam some day, but can a truly conservative Muslim wish for that?

• Locked thread