Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
What can be done to encourage more apostasy in Muslim communities; particularly in the more conservative ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

hobbez posted:

Thank you so much for your response! Really interesting. Maybe Ill pick up No God But God. Ill let you know what I think!

Reza Aslan is a consistent liar of the worst kind. Have fun with that.

Vordulak posted:

Well now this sounds interesting.

Interesting how you have to do this with one religion.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Panda Bear posted:

can you demonstrate this for me? i've never seen him presented as such by anyone but fox news and the like so I'm genuinely curious.

I'm phone posting right now but sure later tonight when I'm near a computer.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Amun Khonsu posted:

He didnt have sex with children. Read my post again. I explained it well enough.

Holy poo poo, yes he did. The indulgence of historical revisionism among religious apologists is hilariously onerous these days, especially w/r/t to Islam.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

ashgromnies posted:

Idk it sounds like it was at most one child, and her age is disputable. Unless you have some conclusive evidence you can share?

Wow, at least you're open about condoning pedophilia. :barf:

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

ashgromnies posted:

lmao you're fuckin' dumb

my point is that you're wrong about basically everything you've been saying ("has sex with children" when it is only aisha in question, and you think her age is conclusively settled), so i am calling attention to that fact to create more uncertainty around anything else you might say

if you think that's "condoning pedophilia" you're really really stupid

so, again, if you want to come in here and act like an authority, how about you behave like the other people acting as authorities and actually post some supporting evidence?

if you can't substantiate your claims with any evidence then how can you expect to convince anyone?

Why would I substantiate my claim when you already acknowledged it was true? It seems to me that you're attempting to censor yourself now.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

ashgromnies posted:

what on earth are you talking about? i haven't acknowledged poo poo that you've said. try reading again. i said that the question of her age seems not settled -- she may or may not have been a "child", from what i can glean from this thread, and it may or may not have been acceptable practice at the time to marry "children" of such an age. that's hardly conclusive.

and besides, i am not the only person here who could benefit from the fruits of your scholarship. please, share your research with us.

:sigh:

It's widely accepted among anyone other than ideological driven apologists such as yourself that he engaged in pedophilia. He certainly had and promoted a heavily patriarchal worldview that oppressed women to begin with. I'm not even getting into the abhorrent massacres of apostates and nonbelievers. You could at least modify your tone into less of a casual and carefree one when discussing pedophilia, it isn't a laughing matter.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
The onus is on the apologist.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

ashgromnies posted:

surprise, they've posted enough evidence in here that any reasonable person, based solely on the material in this thread, would come to the conclusion that knowing aisha's exact age is very difficult

It doesn't have much merit because an ideological apologist for Muhammad isn't outright going to acknowledge or admit he engaged in pedophilia verbatim. Objectively it's an open question, which by definition means he shouldn't be held as a moral figure at least.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Fuzz posted:

Don't confuse modern Arab society with anything Muhammad was pushing, because it's become so hosed up and corrupt and it's not actually supported if you read the rules laid down in the Quran, let alone just look at the Prophet's own life, particularly with regard to his first wife.

The barbaric & patriarchal passages in the Quran regarding women are abhorrent at the very least and it's intellectually dishonest to say that they would be the same if the "Prophet" who wrote them was a woman. The amount of double-talk among apologists about this is surreal.

Amun Khonsu posted:

I dont know how this thread got hijacked by individuals who feel the need to distort and circumvent the facts about the Prophet's marriage to Aisha. However, now that you feel good about yourselves, respect the OP and purpose of this thread and take it elsewhere please. Lets move on.

Agreed.

Don't call something "fact" that you cannot prove. It also isn't unanimously agreed upon by historians. It's very evident that you're a reactionary ideologue when you come across opposition to your religion. Even if your beliefs about Aisha are correct, you're still regarding a mass murderer as a moral figure. It sounds like you intuitively know that Islam is nothing more than fiction yet you latch onto it due to an existential identity crises.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Isn't interesting how historians and apologists differ on this issue? I wonder what the crux of it could be! We know your stupidity is only rivaled by your reading comprehension and you don't have to illustrate it to us any further.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

ashgromnies posted:

He never will, he is a literal unironic Trump supporter and this is his schtick: making claims contrary to visible evidence and then never substantiating them.

This is cute coming from the guy whining about GBS in QCS all the time.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

MrNemo posted:

I'm sorry I didn't hear any references in that post from the guy who thinks it's super crucial to cite sources when making claims.

Except I've never asked for a source because Muhammad's pedophilia and genocidal actions are well known among a significant segment of historians with no ideological agenda.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

It's well known among a significant segment of SA posters without no ideological agenda that your gimmick is tedious and comprehensively played out. gently caress off.

I don't think I've seen anyone in this thread with a dissenting opinion towards Islam treated without outright hostility.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Lassitude posted:

Muslims believe that everyone is by default born Muslim. They believe Islam is by default the religion of the human race, and anything else is a deviation from the correct path. So if you're born to Muslim parents, you are invariably Muslim yourself. And if you choose to reject that, you are put to death for apostasy (in nations where shari'a is enforced). Muslim children do not get to choose.

That said, this is not in any way different from any other religion. The only difference is that no other religion kills people for choosing an alternate path (if they're allowed to), as far as I'm aware.

Islam is the only Abrahamic religion which allows and condones polygamy in addition to this. It's shameful how Turkey (a NATO member) is gradually succumbing to islamism under Erdogan; where customs such as these become the norm.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Amun Khonsu posted:

Islam forbids polygamy.

Amun Khonsu posted:

It tolerates polygyny but discourages it by placing limitations.

This is the sort of insufferable double-talk among religious apologists that I mentioned earlier. Please tell me that you find polygyny reprehensible.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Amun Khonsu posted:

Ask me a question about Islam and I will answer it. Ask me about myself in PM. Otherwise gtfo. This is not a debate thread. Its an "Ask us" thread.

I'm asking whether you believe polygyny is repugnant or not.

E: Whats with these ninja edits you keep doing, I can't keep up.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Did you buy me this av? :grin:

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Amun Khonsu posted:

I apologize to those who have been reading this thread in dismay over the negative crap being posted in it. I have devoted my spare time to answering questions based on my knowledge and experiences. Im not going to continue to engage the diatribe, vitriol and hate-mongering from clowns as I have better things I can be doing.

From here out, I will be growing my IGNORE list, so that I can focus on answering questions, discussing and learning with you. I expect people not to agree with me, that is how we (I) learn. However, if people are going to be disrespectful and offensive clowns intending to cause trouble and derail the thread, then BLOCKED.

I suggest that the others answering questions and reading this thread do the same, if you havent already done so :)

I have no problem with pedophilia apologists & and polygyny enthusiasts putting me on ignore.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, I'm tuning out after the ignore drama. If someone has a question for a pretty moderate (I hate that term) American Muslim, PM me to check here and post.

Happy New Year!

Amun Khonsu seems like a closet radical TBQH.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Jastiger posted:

What did you convert from? How are you more predisposed to believe than others? Are you saying you're just a gullible person?

If you care about social justice, why did you settle on one of the most regressive schools of thought?

To argue rationally with Amun Khonsu is like trying to jerk off with sandpaper.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Amun Khonsu posted:

I would not say gullible, but normal. I think it is scientifically accepted that the brain of our species is wired to believe in God and polls show that most people do. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism Couple this with the fact that if I was gullible, I would have taken the Church's word for it and not wasted 4 years in intensive personal study of religion to resolve my questions.

I was born into Roman Catholicism, raised Catholic until age 14 when my mother changed my religion to a Evangelical/Pentecostal non-denominational church.

IMO, people who study Islam and sort out the western social diatribe, cultural baggage of Muslim countries, and religious dogma from developing world scholars, he/she will come to the conclusion that Islam is a progressive Social Justice movement for its time and intended to evolve as a progressive social justice movement over time. It is not the most regressive schools of thought if compared to other religions and their histories.

A religion founded on war and plunder is not "progressive" nor illustrates "social justice" in any way shape or form. Muhammad's views on women, homosexuals, and nonbelievers in the Koran attests to this. If your religion motivates you to get out of bed in the morning to pursue meaning & happiness, then I'm all for it. However, don't just blatantly make poo poo up or indulge in historical revisionism.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Amun Khonsu posted:

EX: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism#Europe

http://www.godpart.com/book_premise.html

I spoke of my experience and answered to your followup question. Time to move on.

Atheism is spreading throughout the Arab world, specifically due to the internet:

https://newrepublic.com/article/121559/rise-arab-atheists We still have a long way to go, but little progress is better than none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I'm an atheist but this thread is making me want to convert to something just to spite the pushy, evangelical atheists who are just as irritating as the people they hate.

Try Buddhism. They're essentially atheists who like to meditate.

• Locked thread